Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 994667 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #6440 on: July 08, 2015, 11:42:17 AM »
The word was "hits" bosky. 

Right...and those songs I mentioned somehow weren't hits?  ???  (not to mention plenty of other songs by them)  I have never really cared for Rush at all.  But to argue that they never had hits is silly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6441 on: July 08, 2015, 11:46:40 AM »
The word was "hits" bosky. 

Right...and those songs I mentioned somehow weren't hits?  ???  (not to mention plenty of other songs by them)  I have never really cared for Rush at all.  But to argue that they never had hits is silly.
Compared to "Carry On Wayward Son" or "Dust in the Wind" (which is what the comparison was)? 

No, Rush hasn't had hits like that.  Not sure where this discussion is even coming from, because it isn't one.

Rush has only had ONE US Top 40 hit - the aformentioned New World Man, which made it to # 21.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6442 on: July 08, 2015, 11:57:11 AM »
Not to continue derailing this thread, but I guess the point I was making about Kansas is that these days, many people (especially younger ones) aren't gonna know who Kansas are, outside of Carry On and Dust in the Wind, so to mention them would probably cause a lot of people to say "who?" whereas all those other bands are fairly recognizable today.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6443 on: July 08, 2015, 11:59:23 AM »
No, Rush hasn't had hits like that.  Not sure where this discussion is even coming from, because it isn't one.

Rush has only had ONE US Top 40 hit - the aformentioned New World Man, which made it to # 21.

You're right.  There isn't a discussion.  Rush had TONS of hit singles.  That isn't really debatable.  But if we are now saying that ONLY the ones that made the top 40 in the U.S. count, then I will concede that arbitrary distinction.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6444 on: July 08, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »
FFS bosky not sure where you get your determination of "hit" single.

Also, obviously I'm talking about the US, which is where we are located, and is the largest music market in the world. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #6445 on: July 08, 2015, 12:34:47 PM »
Rush US Mainstream Rock Tracks Chart (1981-1989):
Limelight - 4
Tom Sawyer - 8
New World Man - 1
Subdivisions - 8
Distant Early Warning - 3
The Big Money - 4
Time Stand Still - 3
Force Ten - 3
Show Don't Tell - 1

Kansas US Mainstream Rock Tracks Chart (1981-1989):
Play the Game Tonight - 4
Fight Fire With Fire - 3

Kansas had ONE top 10 hit on the Hot 100 (Dust in the Wind, #6, 1978). Carry On hit #11, with only two others in the top 20 (Play the Game Tonight [#17, 1982] and All I Wanted [#19, 1986])

Rush's highest on that chart, as previously noted, was New World Man at #21.

So it's arguable who had the bigger hits, but to say that Rush didn't have hits is laughable (two #1s on the Mainstream Chart in the 80s is all you need to know).
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6446 on: July 08, 2015, 12:57:22 PM »
Listen, I'm a huge Rush nut, but you left out the 70's and you have to take the full sample that their careers intertwined.

It's really hard to judge the radio hits.  Those who got a ton of airplay but was never released as a single.

That being said, Both Rush and Kansas had a huge influence on the members of DT as well as myself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6447 on: July 08, 2015, 12:59:29 PM »
FFS bosky not sure where you get your determination of "hit" single. 

I have always understood it to mean, essentially:

Quote from: Wikipedia
A hit single is a recorded song or instrumental released as a single that has become very popular. Though it sometimes means any widely played or big-selling song, the term "hit" usually refers to a single that has appeared in an official music chart through repeated radio airplay or significant commercial sales.

I have never in my life seen the term "hit single" limited to "top 10 single in the U.S." and do not know of anyone who uses the term that way today (present company excluded).

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #6448 on: July 08, 2015, 01:06:50 PM »
Listen, I'm a huge Rush nut, but you left out the 70's and you have to take the full sample that their careers intertwined.

It's really hard to judge the radio hits.  Those who got a ton of airplay but was never released as a single.

That being said, Both Rush and Kansas had a huge influence on the members of DT as well as myself.

I didn't, really. The Mainstream Rock Chart started in the 80's, and I noted that Kansas had 2 top 20 hits in the 70s, while Rush had none.

In any event... this all has nothing to do with DT, so backtoobscurityigoooooo
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6449 on: July 08, 2015, 01:08:55 PM »
 :lol

I feel like I'm talking to Scooby Doo! :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6450 on: July 08, 2015, 01:09:12 PM »
I get where you are coming from, but I honestly don't think anyone really refers much to the Mainstream Rock Chart for anything.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6451 on: July 08, 2015, 01:12:37 PM »
They have all these crazy charts and I'm on your side that rush was bigger on the radio but if they went be the official charts by Billboard, then Kansas did have more "hit" singles.  Rush was played way more on the radio though.  No big whoop, I was just putting in my few cents.  Doesn't really matter o me since both played a big part in DT and my own life.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6452 on: July 08, 2015, 01:20:25 PM »
No one goes by that Mainstream chart.  The Billboard Hot 100 singles chart is what has always been used.

Further, the de facto standard in the US for, well, recorded memory has been the Top 40 of that chart, as Casey Kasem could tell you.

So that is the standard I'm using.  The one that the rest of America uses.

If you want to use something else, so be it.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #6453 on: July 08, 2015, 01:37:51 PM »
To be fair though, rock almost never charts as high as pop (especially today), so if we're judging rock bands, I think referring to the rock charts would be more representative of the band's success. Dust in the Wind is a fairly straightforward ballad. Of course it's gonna chart higher on the hot 100 chart than a proggy song like Subdivisions. Simply put, Rush never wrote a crossover song like that so to compare their music to Dust in the Wind is unfair.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #6454 on: July 08, 2015, 01:40:47 PM »
I think we're specifically considering the popularity of individual songs, though, so the metric in use makes complete sense.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6455 on: July 08, 2015, 01:53:42 PM »
To be fair though, rock almost never charts as high as pop (especially today)
None of either band's most popular songs are current, but were released in the 70s and 80s when rock ruled the charts.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6456 on: July 08, 2015, 02:02:44 PM »
Since you brought it up earlier hef, while Kansas may have 5 platinum and 4 gold albums, Rush has 3 multi-platinum, 11 platinum and 10 gold albums. So while they may not have had the hit singles, their sales in general far exceeds that of Kansas, which I think means more than hit singles

Let's also not forget one other thing: Rush have *consistently* headlined tours in arenas and amphitheaters since the 70s. I imagine that Kansas hasn't done so headlining their own tour since the early 80s. So while Kansas may have been a household name in the 70s and even into the early 80s, 30 years on, not many people are gonna know who they are.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6457 on: July 08, 2015, 02:14:25 PM »
I think we all can agree Rush is the bigger and more recognizable band than Kansas... but Carry on is a much more well known song than any single Rush song from the general public perspective IMO.  And thats all it is, my opinion since I have no facts to base that on, just my experience.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6458 on: July 08, 2015, 02:25:09 PM »
Since you brought it up earlier hef, while Kansas may have 5 platinum and 4 gold albums, Rush has 3 multi-platinum, 11 platinum and 10 gold albums. So while they may not have had the hit singles, their sales in general far exceeds that of Kansas, which I think means more than hit singles.
Not sure it means more than hit singles to the average music listener.  Maybe, maybe not.

Let's also not forget one other thing: Rush have *consistently* headlined tours in arenas and amphitheaters since the 70s. I imagine that Kansas hasn't done so headlining their own tour since the early 80s.
Sure, no question.

So while Kansas may have been a household name in the 70s and even into the early 80s, 30 years on, not many people are gonna know who they are.
I disagree.

And the only thing this was about was singles. 

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #6459 on: July 08, 2015, 02:29:44 PM »
What it boils down to is that there's no way of knowing how they were viewed back then without actually being there right now. No one is living in the 70s and 80s right now, we all have our whole lives up to 2015. All that time clouds everyone's judgment as to who WAS bigger, when really we're thinking about who IS or HAS BEEN bigger, in our minds. To that end, not being a Kansas fan, I can name two songs that I've heard on the radio (the obvious two), but I can name at least five off the Rush list above that I've heard fairly recently. In fact, the only two Kansas singles that I ever hear anyone talking about are Carry On and Dust, whereas Rush has a whole plethora. I've only recently become a Rush fan, but even before that happened I could tell you many songs by Rush just from hearing them on the radio, and only the two by Kansas. Take that for what it's worth (which, admittedly, is not much).

EDIT: unsure if any of this makes sense.
WELP.

Offline TL

« Reply #6460 on: July 08, 2015, 03:13:53 PM »
So that is the standard I'm using.  The one that the rest of America uses.
There are a lot of non-Americans here, so insisting that only US charts count for anything is a bit silly.
Especially when one of the bands we're talking about is Canadian.

In Canada (and this is on the overall radio chart, not specifically the rock one), Rush have several Top 10 hits, and a bunch in the Top 40. They even have a #1 with New World Man.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #6461 on: July 08, 2015, 03:53:05 PM »
Wow, this got derailed. My point was (in conjunctoon with Hef) that Carry on Wayward Son was/is huge (Dust in the Wind to a much lesser extent, of course). It's one of the biggest rock hits of all time, it has been featured in movies, TV shows (basically the Supernatural theme), and even people who are not rock fans recognize it instantly. Rush has nothing comparable to that, not even close.

Interesting thing about Rush is that apparently they're relatively obscure in the former eastern block. My father was a big prog fan in the '70s and he hasn't even heard about them. I know many people who have vintage vinyls from that period, there's an abundance of Yes, ELP, Floyd, Genesis, but no Rush. Maybe it was easier for British bands to penetrate this market than for Canadians, who knows. Also, even after the fall of the Iron Curtain, the relentlessly touring Rush never played in Eastern Europe (except I think the Czech Rep.). Wonder why that is.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6462 on: July 08, 2015, 08:39:46 PM »
I remember when Pull Me Under hit it big on the radio, a few friends of mine at the time thought they sounded a lot like Iron Maiden because of the guitar sound.

Then, several other friends thought they were Metallica wannabes when I played them Peruvian Skies for them in 1997/1998-ish.  My fault for using that song as their intro to DT. :facepalm: :lol

As for me, and I have told this story before, the first time I heard Dream Theater, I thought they sounded like a ballsier and more rocking...Europe.  For real.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6463 on: July 08, 2015, 08:45:42 PM »
Mine was "heavy metal Genesis". I guess it's all about where you come from.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6464 on: July 08, 2015, 08:49:40 PM »
I can see that, but I didn't get into 70s era Genesis until the late 90s/early 00s, and by then I had already been a DT fan for a while.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #6465 on: July 08, 2015, 08:50:04 PM »
Wow, this got derailed. My point was (in conjunctoon with Hef) that Carry on Wayward Son was/is huge (Dust in the Wind to a much lesser extent, of course). It's one of the biggest rock hits of all time, it has been featured in movies, TV shows (basically the Supernatural theme), and even people who are not rock fans recognize it instantly. Rush has nothing comparable to that, not even close.

I always thought that Tom Sawyer was instantly recognizable in the same vein. However, I've lived my entire life in Ohio which has always been pretty strong "Rush Country", so my view on this might be colored by that.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6466 on: July 08, 2015, 10:49:40 PM »
Let's keep in mind the whole reason why this Rush vs. Kansas derailment happened - because some are saying that DT is like a heavy metal version of Kansas. While that may be the closest description (as I said, I don't know enough Kansas to say either way), many people won't be familiar with the band outside of 2 songs to really have an idea of what DT's music is really encompassing.

So while Kansas may have been a household name in the 70s and even into the early 80s, 30 years on, not many people are gonna know who they are.
I disagree.
And the only thing this was about was singles.
Yes it is about the singles, but also about how aware people are of their respective bands because of them. Those singles are 35+ years old now. Ask most 20-somethings who Kansas is and you'll get a blank stare. Ask the same people who Rush is, and I'll bet that more will respond with knowing who they are.

To that end, not being a Kansas fan, I can name two songs that I've heard on the radio (the obvious two), but I can name at least five off the Rush list above that I've heard fairly recently. In fact, the only two Kansas singles that I ever hear anyone talking about are Carry On and Dust, whereas Rush has a whole plethora. I've only recently become a Rush fan, but even before that happened I could tell you many songs by Rush just from hearing them on the radio, and only the two by Kansas. Take that for what it's worth (which, admittedly, is not much).

EDIT: unsure if any of this makes sense.
Thank you OYE311. It makes a lot of sense and helps verify the point I was trying to make. Doesn't matter who was a bigger/more popular band back in the 70s/80s. We're talking about familiarity today since we're comparing these bands to DT in an effort to describe what DT's sound is like.

And while those 2 Kansas tracks may have been hit singles, I'd wager they're hardly representative of the whole Kansas catalog. OTOH, with all the Rush songs that received (and still receive) airplay, such as Working Man, Fly By Night, 2112 (first 2 parts), Closer to the Heart, the Trees, The Spirit of Radio, Freewill, Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Limelight, Subdivisions, New World Man, Time Stand Still and maybe a track or two later, there is much more for a person to use as a basis for how DT compares - of course there's a lot of styles/variety that a person won't know about Rush just based on these songs alone, but it's far more than just 2 Kansas songs.

Those two songs might be familiar to a lot of people, but that doesn't mean that they're gonna know that the band that did them is Kansas, nor will it give them a good idea of the wide variety of styles that both DT and (I'm guessing) Kansas have done. The number of Rush tracks that are regularly played and well known will give a much better idea.

Interesting thing about Rush is that apparently they're relatively obscure in the former eastern block. My father was a big prog fan in the '70s and he hasn't even heard about them. I know many people who have vintage vinyls from that period, there's an abundance of Yes, ELP, Floyd, Genesis, but no Rush. Maybe it was easier for British bands to penetrate this market than for Canadians, who knows. Also, even after the fall of the Iron Curtain, the relentlessly touring Rush never played in Eastern Europe (except I think the Czech Rep.). Wonder why that is.
This is actually a very interesting point - for some parts of the world, it would make more sense to compare DT to some bands rather than others, based on how familiar people generally are with them. So in a place like the former eastern block, comparing DT to Rush doesn't make sense. But in North America, western Europe and probably South America, it probably does moreso than Kansas.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #6467 on: July 08, 2015, 11:02:22 PM »
I think James should stop being a blondie
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6468 on: July 08, 2015, 11:14:33 PM »
I find that over the years it has gotten more difficult to explain what makes DT different from a regular heavy metal band. It's leather clothes, black hair, fast guitar solos and soaring vocals for them these days, and that's really no different from mainstream metal.

And to stay in that spirit of the thread, I actually wish they'd close this metal chapter and move on, maybe to a more age-approporiate image. "Yukon Cornelius" JP was entertaining, but it's also somewhat silly, especially the current extent.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6469 on: July 08, 2015, 11:19:42 PM »
Concerning the debate about hit singles, I don't know a single song by either band. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6470 on: July 09, 2015, 05:44:11 AM »
I find that over the years it has gotten more difficult to explain what makes DT different from a regular heavy metal band. It's leather clothes, black hair, fast guitar solos and soaring vocals for them these days, and that's really no different from mainstream metal.

And to stay in that spirit of the thread, I actually wish they'd close this metal chapter and move on, maybe to a more age-approporiate image. "Yukon Cornelius" JP was entertaining, but it's also somewhat silly, especially the current extent.

Maybe I don't listen to enough mainstream metal, but I am not familiar with any "mainstream" band that sounds anything like DT.  There are plenty of smaller prog metal bands that go after that DT sound though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6471 on: July 09, 2015, 05:53:20 AM »
Scotty, I am confused by your point, which seems to be, "Most people don't know Kansas that well, so it is pointless to say that Dream Theater sounds a little like them."  I would never recommend Dream Theater to someone who isn't already a fan of either metal or prog, and most prog fans are going to know Kansas.

And it's funny that you say, "Ask most 20-somethings who Kansas is and you'll get a blank stare."  Change "20-somethings" to "people" and "Kansas" to "Dream Theater" and the sentence still works. :lol :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6472 on: July 09, 2015, 06:15:51 AM »
I don't doubt that if you are talking about band name recognition, more 20-year olds may know Rush more than Kansas.

But ask about songs like Carry On or Dust in the Wind versus pretty much any Rush song, and Kansas wins that one.  Which is all I was saying.

I have no idea why this has gone on for so long.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6473 on: July 09, 2015, 06:55:12 AM »
Concerning the debate about hit singles, I don't know a single song by either band. :biggrin:

Snob. :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6474 on: July 09, 2015, 08:22:42 AM »
Booooooooooorinnnnnnnngggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!