Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 994680 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #2660 on: December 19, 2013, 10:53:55 PM »
DT made a mistake not letting MP back in the band. Anyone said that?

False.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2661 on: December 19, 2013, 11:32:55 PM »
Why would anyone say that?  The band has been much better since than they were the last few years when he was in the band.  Like has been stated many times, a change was needed.

Offline adastra

« Reply #2662 on: December 19, 2013, 11:46:50 PM »

False.

My True was "Truer" than your False! ^_^ !
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

« Reply #2663 on: December 19, 2013, 11:55:59 PM »

My true was so true that I didn't need to try too hard to overstate it.  :P

Offline adastra

« Reply #2664 on: December 20, 2013, 12:21:01 AM »

My true was so true that I didn't need to try too hard to overstate it.  :P

So, is my opinion wrong ? :<
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

« Reply #2665 on: December 20, 2013, 12:21:44 AM »

You're asking me? If you want me to actually answer that, then yes... Yes, it's wrong. Fact.

Offline adastra

« Reply #2666 on: December 20, 2013, 01:07:45 AM »

You're asking me? If you want me to actually answer that, then yes... Yes, it's wrong. Fact.

Haha xD 

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2667 on: December 20, 2013, 03:34:27 AM »
DT made a mistake not letting MP back in the band.
About that, it seemed hypocritical from the band saying stuff like "we've literally been a family", "it's heartbreaking", "we never wanted this to happen" and then still closing the door on MP.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

« Reply #2668 on: December 20, 2013, 03:49:50 AM »
About that, it seemed hypocritical from the band saying stuff like "we've literally been a family", "it's heartbreaking", "we never wanted this to happen" and then still closing the door on MP.

But at the same time, it would be a real dick move if they made Mangini quit his job and rearrange his life, and then told him, "Sorry, nevermind." I'm sure that MP would have known better than to ask to come back if he had known that they'd already chosen a drummer at that point. Since they were keeping it hush hush, he didn't know what was going on.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2669 on: December 20, 2013, 04:52:20 AM »
DT made a mistake not letting MP back in the band.

I don't see how that is hypocritical, at all. When you have a violent fallout with someone, you regret that it has happened, but even when that person later comes back with the tail between their legs, you don't just get back together with them.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #2670 on: December 20, 2013, 06:51:40 AM »

If they let Portnoy back in the band and did Black Clouds part 2 I would probably not be a fan anymore. The two Mangini albums are much better than the later Portnoy albums, so not a mistake at all and I'm glad it happened. 
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2671 on: December 21, 2013, 04:28:30 PM »

If they let Portnoy back in the band and did Black Clouds part 2 I would probably not be a fan anymore. The two Mangini albums are much better than the later Portnoy albums, so not a mistake at all and I'm glad it happened.

Event though I own everything DT has released, I haven't been into any of the albums since Systematic Chaos.  Not a fan of BC&SL, ADTOE or "DT" nearly as much as their work with MP. 

« Reply #2672 on: December 21, 2013, 04:40:01 PM »
Event though I own everything DT has released, I haven't been into any of the albums since Systematic Chaos.  Not a fan of BC&SL, ADTOE or "DT" nearly as much as their work with MP.

As unfortunate as that may be, the fact that you included BC&SL into it means that your disinterest probably doesn't stem from Portnoy's absence.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2673 on: December 21, 2013, 04:45:28 PM »

As unfortunate as that may be, the fact that you included BC&SL into it means that your disinterest probably doesn't stem from Portnoy's absence.

I imagine it does, Mangini is a beast but I miss Mike P there.  BC&SL never connected for me and then from there I  just feel it's gone downhill. 

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #2674 on: December 21, 2013, 04:46:27 PM »

+1
Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds were basically by the Mike Portnoy Band haha.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2675 on: December 21, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »

+1
Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds were basically by the Mike Portnoy Band haha.

SC is probably my 3rd favorite DT Album.  BC&SL feels like a huge departure in terms of quality (to me).

SFAM
8VM
SC

« Reply #2676 on: December 21, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »
SC is probably my 3rd favorite DT Album. 

That in itself is a very controversial opinion, but I totally agree. I love SC.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #2677 on: December 21, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »
Sounds like you're in the right thread! :neverusethis:

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2678 on: December 21, 2013, 04:57:07 PM »

That in itself is a very controversial opinion, but I totally agree. I love SC.
Well, ITPOE and TDEN are excellent, TMOLS has its moments, CM has got a good chorus, the rest are eh.

« Reply #2679 on: December 21, 2013, 05:00:15 PM »
The only thing that drags SC down for me are the spoken word passages in Repentance. Aside from that, every moment on the album is amazing from the beginning until the very end.

Offline fllnsprrw

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2680 on: December 21, 2013, 05:18:16 PM »
There may be only be a few of us in this camp, at least on these forums, but I belong with those who do not believe Dream Theater is a better band without Mike Portnoy. My obsession with DT has indeed waned a little with his departure. Some of the magic is gone. I still haven't finished watching the new DT bluray...
1. Images & Words/ 2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence/ 3. Scenes From a Memory

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2681 on: December 21, 2013, 06:24:11 PM »
There may be only be a few of us in this camp, at least on these forums, but I belong with those who do not believe Dream Theater is a better band without Mike Portnoy. My obsession with DT has indeed waned a little with his departure. Some of the magic is gone. I still haven't finished watching the new DT bluray...

Fully agree, and I haven´t finished the new Blu-Ray either. I was watching a few tracks today and thought "Mangini is a monster, but Portnoy´s drumming has SO much more punch and character".

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #2682 on: December 21, 2013, 07:03:10 PM »
I love SC and PoW.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2683 on: December 21, 2013, 07:07:30 PM »
Me too.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2684 on: December 21, 2013, 08:03:46 PM »

Well you and MP only have MP to blame.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline moof

« Reply #2685 on: December 21, 2013, 09:40:42 PM »

Agreed.

Mangini is absolutely amazing... But he'll never be Mike Portnoy

Offline Grizz

« Reply #2686 on: December 21, 2013, 09:50:28 PM »
I'm with this resurgence of MP support. I have to ask, though— is it fair to blame the early RR albums on MP?
Also BC&SL kicks ass, quite possibly the best RR album.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

« Reply #2687 on: December 21, 2013, 10:09:35 PM »

You're right. He'll never add crappy backup vocals that ruin the songs.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2688 on: December 22, 2013, 01:18:00 AM »

We may not know about that until they get back into the studio, for their next album, and, all of a sudden, decide to have Mangini to add backup vocals, then we can see what happens then.

« Reply #2689 on: December 22, 2013, 01:54:07 AM »
We may not know about that until they get back into the studio, for their next album, and, all of a sudden, decide to have Mangini to add backup vocals, then we can see what happens then.

Has Mangini ever done vocals, screaming ones for that matter? I mean, if he can sing harmonies, then that shouldn't be a problem, but I really doubt we'll be hearing anything like, "My brotha!" from him.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2690 on: December 22, 2013, 02:09:12 AM »

I would not rate SC that high, but it is the best post- SDOIT album.

I agree 100 %

Here is my controversial opinion. I would be surprised if Jordan Rudess stays with DT after the 2015 album tour.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2691 on: December 22, 2013, 03:15:55 AM »

[/quote]
Here is my controversial opinion. I would be surprised if Jordan Rudess stays with DT after the 2015 album tour.
[/quote]

It´s the second time I read this on the forum this week - not sure if it was you who posted it the first time. Is he this tired of DT to the point of leaving?

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2692 on: December 22, 2013, 03:18:13 AM »

I know what you mean, I severely miss his normal backing vocals (Fatal Tragedy, Home, WIMH, TGP, Blind Faith...). The fact that they decided to remedy this by backing tracks in James' voice adds insult to injury.

« Reply #2693 on: December 22, 2013, 03:37:32 AM »
Is he this tired of DT to the point of leaving?

I really, really doubt it. I mean, considering that he was just as against taking a hiatus as everyone else, when MP suggested it, and seeing how happy and excited he was during the ADTOE tour, constantly posting youtube videos, going out to say hi to the fans and everything, I really don't see where this perceived lack of enthusiasm is coming from. It's sad when a fan loses their enthusiasm for the band, but I feel like that lack of enthusiasm is being projected onto the band, when in reality, they're just fine. Sort of like, "Well, I'm not as into the band's music anymore, so I feel like they're not into their music anymore," when it's not really true. At least that's how it seems to me.

I know what you mean, I severely miss his normal backing vocals (Fatal Tragedy, Home, WIMH, TGP, Blind Faith...). The fact that they decided to remedy this by backing tracks in James' voice adds insult to injury.

Yeah, I didn't mind him doing backup vocals. Unfortunately, I think he ended up doing it so much that it made him want to push further and further towards being a front man, when he's really not. And sure, people like Phil Collins can be a drummer and a front man at the same time, but no offense to MP, he's FAR from Phil Collins when it omes to vocal ability. And maybe he was doing it unconsciously, maybe he didn't realize that he was trying to hog the vocal spotlight more and more, but he really was, even if certain aspecs of it were enjoyable to me. Even though I liked his vocal contributions to Constant Motion and Prophets of War, and even the "Day After Day" section, I always felt like they undermined JLB's position in the band. So I can understand why he'd be happy with MP's departure.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2694 on: December 22, 2013, 04:26:06 AM »
His back up vocals were not the problem.  Him wanting to take time off was the problem and to say that MM should try to sing back u vocals to see if he equals MP is just nonsense. 

Seriously folks there is no turning back.  The band is real happy with MM.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC