Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 994536 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #2485 on: December 10, 2013, 11:16:41 AM »
Only one piece on the first half tastes any good IMO, the rest all have rather bizarre toppings.

Now, WDADU is an okay pizza but some guy named Charlie spat all over it and a sound engineer threw it down a tunnel.
One piece has an undercooked middle but the last few bites are especially tasty. One piece has too much cheese on it and it makes it taste a bit less good. One piece is pretty good but the crust has really hot pepper sprinkled all over it. One piece starts off tasting delicious but it gets boring the more of it you eat. One piece was cut wrong and is smaller than the rest but is the only piece you enjoy every bite of.

I really want some pizza.
Also your WDADU pizza is great  :rollin

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2486 on: December 10, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »
Not sure if this is controversial, but Vacant is one of the best DT ballads...possibly the best.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2487 on: December 10, 2013, 11:41:11 AM »
I agree with you.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2488 on: December 10, 2013, 11:53:32 AM »
Not sure if this is controversial, but Vacant is one of the best DT ballads...possibly the best.

Good one... I started liking it even more when James revealed the subject matter. It gives me this haunting chill when I listen to the words now.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2489 on: December 10, 2013, 12:56:55 PM »

It's amazing, and probably the most heartfelt performance from James. I really love it.

Offline adastra

« Reply #2490 on: December 11, 2013, 12:50:41 AM »

Yeah, Vacant is awesome! 
And with Stream Of Consciousness it makes the best "2-song run"  by Dream Theater... That might actually be controversial :p
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline rude boy

« Reply #2491 on: December 11, 2013, 02:15:50 AM »

Good one... I started liking it even more when James revealed the subject matter. It gives me this haunting chill when I listen to the words now.

What is the subject matter? I also like the song, but I have no clue what it's about

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2492 on: December 11, 2013, 02:35:00 AM »

What is the subject matter? I also like the song, but I have no clue what it's about

It's about his daughter and how she unexpectedly lapsed into a coma. She turned out okay, obviously, but I imagine when he wrote it, it was a very dark time for him.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2493 on: December 11, 2013, 09:01:28 AM »
My major nitpick with DT comes in Wait for Sleep. It's in the part when James says "She has too much pride to pull the sheets above her head, so quietly she lays and waits for Slee-". The Sleep word seems like it was cut out in mid air. In the live versions James extends the Sleep word, so I can't understand why did they cut it in mid air. It's a petty complaint and I feel really nitpicky, but it somehow bothers me. Not like it ruins the song or anything though.

Offline moof

« Reply #2494 on: December 12, 2013, 07:15:18 AM »

Yeah, Vacant is awesome! 
And with Stream Of Consciousness it makes the best "2-song run"  by Dream Theater... That might actually be controversial :p

Interesting choice. Hell's Kitchen and Lines in the Sand for me.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2495 on: December 12, 2013, 08:27:55 AM »
My major nitpick with DT comes in Wait for Sleep. It's in the part when James says "She has too much pride to pull the sheets above her head, so quietly she lays and waits for Slee-". The Sleep word seems like it was cut out in mid air. In the live versions James extends the Sleep word, so I can't understand why did they cut it in mid air. It's a petty complaint and I feel really nitpicky, but it somehow bothers me. Not like it ruins the song or anything though.

Damn you. Now I notice it everytime ._.

Offline Xersiz

« Reply #2496 on: December 12, 2013, 11:18:01 AM »
Last 4 Dream Theater albums are the best of them all! Yep,I said that,no way DT could have done songs like ITPOE,TCOT,ANTR,TMOLS,BITS,BAI,IT,TBP (i can count so much more but you got me) in their I&W era and i think those songs are their best!

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #2497 on: December 12, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »

That's it? That's your major nitpick with DT? That they kinda cut off a word in one song that you still like?   :lol 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2498 on: December 12, 2013, 02:35:11 PM »

Damn you. Now I notice it everytime ._.

Nah.  James completes the word, he just says it very quickly so it sounds like it's cut off, but it's not.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #2499 on: December 12, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »
Here we go:

Train Of Thought Is easily the worst album Dream Theater ever did.

When Dream And Day Unite is top 5.

There is not a single bad song on Falling Into Infinity.

The Dark Eternal Night is beyond terrible, it's like Dream Theater trying to be some god awful nu metal band like Korn or Slipknot.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

« Reply #2500 on: December 12, 2013, 04:36:22 PM »
The Dark Eternal Night is beyond terrible, it's like Dream Theater trying to be some god awful nu metal band like Korn or Slipknot.

But it sounds nothing like either one of those two bands.  ???

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2501 on: December 12, 2013, 05:48:27 PM »
Here we go:

I agree with none of these. 

So, well done.   :tup
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2502 on: December 12, 2013, 05:54:43 PM »
Here we go:

Only one I completely agree with... almost. WDaDU is the only thing stopping it from being bottom of the bottom though.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2503 on: December 12, 2013, 06:04:17 PM »
Here's an opinon not so much about Dream Theater, but of their fans.

If you listen to Dream Theater and can not apprciate both prog and metal you are an idiot.

« Reply #2504 on: December 12, 2013, 06:24:53 PM »

If you listen to Dream Theater and can not apprciate both prog and metal you are an idiot.

While I wouldn't go as fat as to call anyone an idiot, those who can't appreciate both sides of Dream Theater are really only experiencing one side of the coin, and only appreciate half the greatness that this band really is. Which is unfortunate, because they really should look at the bigger picture.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2505 on: December 12, 2013, 06:35:20 PM »

While I wouldn't go as fat as to call anyone an idiot, those who can't appreciate both sides of Dream Theater are really only experiencing one side of the coin, and only appreciate half the greatness that this band really is. Which is unfortunate, because they really should look at the bigger picture.

Oh you. :neverusethis:

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2506 on: December 12, 2013, 06:49:12 PM »

That's it? That's your major nitpick with DT? That they kinda cut off a word in one song that you still like?   :lol
Yes. Not much of a nitpicker, you know :D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2507 on: December 12, 2013, 06:56:31 PM »
Here we go:

no no no yes+badly worded

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #2508 on: December 12, 2013, 07:13:39 PM »

That main riff is total stop start stop nu metal. Obviously Petrucci plays better than any of those bands, so maybe a better sound alike is Sepultura's nu metal era. Think "Roots Bloody Roots", total garbage.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

« Reply #2509 on: December 12, 2013, 07:27:46 PM »
That main riff is total stop start stop nu metal. Obviously Petrucci plays better than any of those bands, so maybe a better sound alike is Sepultura's nu metal era. Think "Roots Bloody Roots", total garbage.

Well, that's just the riff. Everything else about the song, the instrumental breakdown, the mystical lyrics, the sludgy outro doesn't remind me of Nu Metal at all. Either way, TDEN is an awesome song.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2510 on: December 12, 2013, 08:35:51 PM »

I can see you're going to be around a long time.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2511 on: December 12, 2013, 08:38:15 PM »

Well, that's just the riff. Everything else about the song, the instrumental breakdown, the mystical lyrics, the sludgy outro doesn't remind me of Nu Metal at all. Either way, TDEN is an awesome song.
While I don't like TDEN and think the riff is sludgy and too much ass-and-ballsy I think it's miles more complex and elaborated than the ones found in bands like Korn or Slipknot, IMHO.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2512 on: December 12, 2013, 09:13:07 PM »

While I don't like TDEN and think the riff is sludgy and too much ass-and-ballsy I think it's miles more complex and elaborated than the ones found in bands like Korn or Slipknot, IMHO.

If it sounds like any nu-metal band, that band would be Mudvayne.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2513 on: December 12, 2013, 09:40:46 PM »
I guess I need to listen to more nu metal. Apparently I'm missing out on some good music. :neverusethis:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2514 on: December 12, 2013, 09:43:56 PM »
Though most prog fans disagree, I think a fair amount of nu-metal is quite good.

Particularly Linkin Park.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2515 on: December 12, 2013, 09:49:18 PM »
Here we go:

I agree but Slipknot is not that bad.  :lol
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

« Reply #2516 on: December 12, 2013, 09:56:30 PM »

Honestly, while I'm not a fan of Slipknot, I wouldn't even throw them into the Nu Metal category. I mean, Nu Metal used a lot of influences brought from Rap and Hip-Hop, and Slipknot is definitely not that.
And speaking of which, if you want to blame DT of Nu Metal influences, maybe The Glass Prison and that record scratching transition should be looked at before anything else.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2517 on: December 13, 2013, 02:06:40 AM »
Awake is way better than any pizza I've ever eaten.

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2518 on: December 14, 2013, 09:06:11 AM »

And speaking of which, if you want to blame DT of Nu Metal influences, maybe The Glass Prison and that record scratching transition should be looked at before anything else.

Yeah, the record scratch, which is awesome.

I really don't think TDEN sounds like Nu Metal at all. It's really modern-sounding technical metal for sure. Stuff on Awake like Lie and Caught in a Web is closer to Nu Metal than that, and even those are clearly prog-influenced, and more 90s-sounding.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2519 on: December 14, 2013, 09:17:35 AM »
Though most prog fans disagree, I think a fair amount of nu-metal is quite good.

Particularly Linkin Park.
Linkin Park practically ruined my childhood. All of my friends were into them, thus every house party was plagued by their music, making me miserable. :lol

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.