Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 994766 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #2450 on: December 09, 2013, 06:31:35 AM »
Six Degrees the song is perfect. Overture might drag slightly, but other than that, it's a masterpiece.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2451 on: December 09, 2013, 06:40:20 AM »
Six Degrees the song is perfect. Overture might drag slightly, but other than that, it's a masterpiece.

That's controversial?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2452 on: December 09, 2013, 06:45:47 AM »
Considering all the negative opinions I've seen over the last seven years, yeah it is.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2453 on: December 09, 2013, 06:50:22 AM »
Considering all the negative opinions I've seen over the last seven years, yeah it is.

It's brilliant.  Top 10 song for me.  It does a great job of incorporating just about every style DT uses.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2454 on: December 09, 2013, 07:00:36 AM »

It's brilliant.  Top 10 song for me.  It does a great job of incorporating just about every style DT uses.

:tup

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2455 on: December 09, 2013, 09:18:54 AM »
Six Degrees as a song doesn't do anything for me.

I only like Overture, About to Crash + Reprise and Losing Time.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2456 on: December 09, 2013, 09:47:18 AM »
Six Degrees as a song doesn't do anything for me.

I only like Overture, About to Crash + Reprise and Losing Time.

I also like Solitary Shell. War inside my head is okay, but then TTTSTA and GK really drag the whole thing down.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2457 on: December 09, 2013, 11:20:34 AM »
My only complaint is that they split it up.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2458 on: December 09, 2013, 11:21:47 AM »
Why would that bother you? You can still listen to it as one track.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2459 on: December 09, 2013, 11:41:56 AM »
SDOIT is one pizza. And it's all delicious. If I only eat one slice, I'm not getting all of the flavour.

Now I want some pizza. And to listen to SDOIT.

If SDOIT were a pizza... disc 2 would be the half that the dude making the pizza decided to sneeze on, coat with anchovies and olives (even though the other half is meat lovers) and then leave half way in the oven so that half gets overcooked making it impossible to digest properly.

Now if you want the proper way to make a pizza... look at Awake. Both halves are delicous. And the second half even has stuffed crust! Who doesn't love stuffed crust??? Only communists.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:49:21 AM by JayOctavarium »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2460 on: December 09, 2013, 11:46:20 AM »
Are you just purposefully trying to upset Blob now?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2461 on: December 09, 2013, 11:50:05 AM »
SDOIT is one pizza. And it's all delicious. If I only eat one slice, I'm not getting all of the flavour.

If SDOIT were a pizza... disc 2 would be the half that the dude making the pizza decided to sneeze on, coat with anchovies and olives (even though the other half is meat lovers) and then leave half way in the oven so that half gets overcooked making it impossible to digest properly.

Now if you want the proper way to make a pizza... look at Awake. Both halves are delicous. And the second half even has stuffed crust! Who doesn't love stuffed crust??? Only communists.

I don't like stuffed crust...penguin fucker. 

:biggrin:

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2462 on: December 09, 2013, 11:51:42 AM »
-gasp-
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2463 on: December 09, 2013, 12:06:30 PM »

I don't like stuffed crust...penguin fucker. 

:biggrin:

I've been meaning to try a stuffed crust pizza again sometime. I remember years and years ago I tried it out and it was disgusting, the whole pizza was. I feel like maybe I should be it another shot.

« Reply #2464 on: December 09, 2013, 12:16:20 PM »

The problem with the second half is that someone spilled dishwashing soap on the last slice, and when I went in to complain about it, they tried to pass it off as free 'samples'.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2465 on: December 09, 2013, 12:17:18 PM »
:clap:
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2466 on: December 09, 2013, 12:24:38 PM »

The problem with the second half is that someone spilled dishwashing soap on the last slice, and when I went in to complain about it, they tried to pass it off as free 'samples'.

:rollin

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2467 on: December 09, 2013, 12:30:22 PM »

Oh snap

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #2468 on: December 09, 2013, 06:20:30 PM »
Here's one that will never be truly resolved... There's no way to me that Six Degrees is a single song (even if DT call it one). A suite, definitely, but Six Degrees is as much a song as SFAM is as far as I'm concerned.

« Reply #2469 on: December 09, 2013, 06:49:02 PM »
Here's one that will never be truly resolved... There's no way to me that Six Degrees is a single song (even if DT call it one). A suite, definitely, but Six Degrees is as much a song as SFAM is as far as I'm concerned.

SFAM is an awesome song!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2470 on: December 09, 2013, 07:35:06 PM »
To me every dt album has had it's weak points, SC has had the fewest when I look back along with SDOIT (SDOIT the song is rubbish for most part). I'm fairly drunk but I'll get into this more tomrrow.

By concise, you mean consistent, then? If so, then I agree. POW and Repentance included.

And yeah, SDOIT the title track does have quite a few stumbles. It's like pizza with toppings you don't like. There's still a lot of good stuff there, the dough, the sauce, the cheese, but it's hard to enjoy without having to pick out all the unwanted toppings.

That's why you request said pizza to have each slice be filled up with different toppings so that everyone could get their favorites in one slice.  For me, it's Solitary Shell with a little bit of The Test That Stumped Them All.

Ah, but DT hosts a big pizza party and you don't get to choose what toppings are on it. It's DT pizza though, so while some of the toppings can be less than amazing, DAT SAUCE AND DAT CHEESE.

:drool:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

« Reply #2471 on: December 09, 2013, 07:37:29 PM »
Ah, but DT hosts a big pizza party and you don't get to choose what toppings are on it. It's DT pizza though, so while some of the toppings can be less than amazing, DAT SAUCE AND DAT CHEESE.

:drool:

Yeah, I can't deny this. And us, real gourmands, know that it's just the right amount of cheese. Even though some might think certain parts are too cheesy, they are wrong.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #2472 on: December 09, 2013, 07:49:28 PM »

Sounds like this restaurant will never be open again
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

« Reply #2473 on: December 09, 2013, 08:14:14 PM »

I hear they used dry heat to cook their pizza.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #2474 on: December 09, 2013, 09:02:12 PM »

/thread

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2475 on: December 09, 2013, 10:04:50 PM »

:clap:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2476 on: December 09, 2013, 11:06:18 PM »

Awake is like eating a decent pizza, but then halfway, someone drops the box on the ground and ruins the pizza, and whines for half an hour about the pizza.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2477 on: December 09, 2013, 11:13:38 PM »
Well, ..... um.....

:symphonyx:

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #2478 on: December 09, 2013, 11:37:40 PM »
Awake is way better than any pizza I've ever eaten.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #2479 on: December 09, 2013, 11:56:15 PM »

You haven't tried enough.

:vomitard:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2480 on: December 10, 2013, 06:10:19 AM »

Come to NY.    ;)

Offline Grizz

« Reply #2481 on: December 10, 2013, 10:25:48 AM »

Come to New Haven County, CT.    ;)
FTFY
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2482 on: December 10, 2013, 10:32:30 AM »
I really want some pizza now.
Also Awake and SDOIT are both good pizzas, just that someone forgot the sauce on the second half of SDOIT so it's just cheesy bread and you'd rather eat the first half of the pizza with the sauce on it and leave the cheesy bread for someone else.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #2483 on: December 10, 2013, 11:05:33 AM »
I really want some pizza now.
Also Awake and SDOIT are both good pizzas, just that someone forgot the sauce on the second half of SDOIT so it's just cheesy bread and you'd rather eat the first half of the pizza with the sauce on it and leave the cheesy bread for someone else.
Only one piece on the first half tastes any good IMO, the rest all have rather bizarre toppings.

Now, WDADU is an okay pizza but some guy named Charlie spat all over it and a sound engineer threw it down a tunnel.

Offline Enlil36

« Reply #2484 on: December 10, 2013, 11:13:02 AM »
6:24 - 7:03 from Sacrificed Sons is better than the whole Octavarium album,even the title track.
Now that's controversial! :lol