Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 994558 times)

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #2135 on: November 14, 2013, 08:03:28 PM »
Through My Words is awesome. One of the best on the album, although a little too short.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #2136 on: November 14, 2013, 08:08:06 PM »
These days, i rather listen to one great DT song than an entire new album by them  :corn
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2137 on: November 14, 2013, 08:08:27 PM »
It's #2 for me, but for that reason, I always understand when people don't regard it as highly as I do. It is definitely greater than the sum of its parts, with every song written to serve its role in the album as a whole piece, rather than meant to knock your socks off as a standalone track.
And for that reason, I never listen to tracks individually. I rarely have, and can't even remember the last time I did. It's an album that needs to be listened to and appreciated as a whole. That is the double edged sword that is the concept album, I suppose.

I agree with every word of this post.  The only quibble I might have is that I think TSCO and Home work as standalone songs if played outside the album, but I don't suspect you'd have much disagreement with that. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2138 on: November 14, 2013, 08:13:25 PM »
It's #2 for me, but for that reason, I always understand when people don't regard it as highly as I do. It is definitely greater than the sum of its parts, with every song written to serve its role in the album as a whole piece, rather than meant to knock your socks off as a standalone track.
And for that reason, I never listen to tracks individually. I rarely have, and can't even remember the last time I did. It's an album that needs to be listened to and appreciated as a whole. That is the double edged sword that is the concept album, I suppose.

I agree with every word of this post.  The only quibble I might have is that I think TSCO and Home work as standalone songs if played outside the album, but I don't suspect you'd have much disagreement with that. 

None at all, if you check my post a few minutes ago on the last page. Plenty of the album works great standalone, but there's also enough of the album that doesn't that I could understand detracts from the songs for some people.
Personally, I think that whole section of the album that runs together is downright incredible.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2139 on: November 14, 2013, 08:17:25 PM »
Me too.  And to underscore the position that, like you, I view it as a "sum is greater than the parts" scenario, to this day, I have a difficult time recalling the different song names, especially in that section.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2140 on: November 14, 2013, 08:31:08 PM »
I find that happens when I don't skip tracks on an album, because you're just listening to it whole, and not looking at song names to skip anything, or listen to a song on its own etc.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2141 on: November 14, 2013, 08:55:33 PM »
A lot of people don't count Regression because it's just an intro to the album, and can't separate Overture 1928 from Strange Deja Vu because of the segue between them, and then TMW is basically a short bridge between that and Fatal Tragedy. I can't recall seeing anybody rank Regression or TMW highly, because they're so short and really designed to be part of the album.
While I kind of agree with that logic, at the same time, whenever I do give high praise to songs like Fatal Tragedy, I pretty much include through My Words as a part of that whole listening experience.
Same would go for Vacant and Stream of Consciousness. While SOC is good enough on its own, I rarely listen to Vacant unless it's a part of the latter.

But there are enough of the shorter tracks to kick off the album that I can understand why some people don't like the album as much.

Well, quite frankly, if people hate on the album because there are no stand alone songs, and can't appreciate it for the amazing listening experience that it is, I have nothing to say to them.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2142 on: November 14, 2013, 11:06:27 PM »
I don't even consider Through My Words a song.
It is part of Fatal Tragedy. They are the same song. I refuse to listen to them separately, since Fatal Tragedy literally never starts if it doesn't start with Through My Words.
But yeah etc. SFAM is brilliant and it's very strongly a concept album that loses something if not taken as a whole, woo.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2143 on: November 15, 2013, 04:54:22 AM »
I also think the Dance of Eternity is pretty bad.  I mean, crazy times signatures and wailing and blah blah.  I'll take Enigma Machine over that any day.

I don't say TDOE is bad, but after three minutes it becomes kinda bland. I'm just like "guys, we all know you are masters of your craft, I'm already convinced. Can't you play something more melodic for a change?"

Enigma Machine is one of the best songs on DT12.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2144 on: November 15, 2013, 09:47:33 AM »
My  controversial opinion of the day: I think James' singing held back DT from becoming big.
I understand where your coming from, but in the same token how much bigger can a prog metal become in this day and age? Since they are the biggest name in the genre you could make the case that this is as good as it can possibly get.

I see what you're saying, but look at a band like Radiohead that still got huge despite make some weird, weird-ass music. I think with a non-operatic, strong frontman (no offense to JLB, but he's not that strong a frontman), I think they could have tapped a lot more people. Not that I particularly approved of MP's bashing of James, but I totally understood where he was coming from.

I have to agree with you there. JLB has never been my cup of tea. He is good in some tracks but I moreorless just tune him out.

« Reply #2145 on: November 15, 2013, 12:16:58 PM »
I don't say TDOE is bad, but after three minutes it becomes kinda bland. I'm just like "guys, we all know you are masters of your craft, I'm already convinced. Can't you play something more melodic for a change?"
But we get something beautiful and melodic right afterwards. That's what I love about the arrangmenet of having TDOE right before One Last Time.

Enigma Machine is one of the best songs on DT12.

This should not be a controversial statement. Enigma Machine is DT's best instrumental since TDOE.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2146 on: November 15, 2013, 12:29:19 PM »
Not sure how controversial this is, but was just listening to TSCO the other day and realized that the solo in that song might be JP's best solo. I think it masterfully merges JP's shredding skills with his Gilmore-esque approach to the solo, to a level that no other solo of his does. When I was still in that DT tribute band, I was always looking forward to playing it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2147 on: November 15, 2013, 12:33:59 PM »
Not sure how controversial this is, but was just listening to TSCO the other day and realized that the solo in that song might be JP's best solo. I think it masterfully merges JP's shredding skills with his Gilmore-esque approach to the solo, to a level that no other solo of his does. When I was still in that DT tribute band, I was always looking forward to playing it.

Easily one of his best solos.  Like you said, it amalgamates some of the many things that make Petrucci a brilliant guitar player. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2148 on: November 15, 2013, 12:35:08 PM »
It is one of his best but I just love the Razor's Edge Solo and TCOT end solo.  Emotional solos, like you pointed out, David Gilmour like, with the shredding is what I always love about his soloing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

« Reply #2149 on: November 15, 2013, 12:39:09 PM »

I'd say it's one of his best solos of that type. But I personally think that in spite of having a lot of elements to it, it's still a completely different type of solo from, say, UAGM or As I Am. And I honestly can't even compare them to TSCO just because of the different styles.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2150 on: November 15, 2013, 01:03:11 PM »

It's certainly in my top 5 JP solos, so yeah, its pretty darn good!  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2151 on: November 15, 2013, 02:10:13 PM »
This should not be a controversial statement. Enigma Machine is DT's best instrumental since TDOE.
That's kind of just saying "I like EM better than SOC" y'know :P
Which I'd contest, but.
Also I lied, EM isn't the best song on DT12, The Bigger Picture is, though still would say it's the worst "best" song on any DT album so.

« Reply #2152 on: November 15, 2013, 02:17:10 PM »
That's kind of just saying "I like EM better than SOC" y'know :P
It is better. But SOC is still awesome.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2153 on: November 15, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »
SFAM is a terrible album, full of filler and rip-off riffs with a daft concept.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2154 on: November 15, 2013, 03:02:25 PM »
CONTROVERSY
the story itself isn't anything special but beyond that it's a pretty damn fine album, not much filler at all I'd say

« Reply #2155 on: November 15, 2013, 03:09:23 PM »

That is just all kinds of wrong.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2156 on: November 15, 2013, 03:46:14 PM »

That is just all kinds of wrong.

And incendiary

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2157 on: November 15, 2013, 03:49:30 PM »
Sorry dudes. Not even trolling. It's just incredibly cheesey to me, highly derivative and bleh. Give me Awake, SDOIT, BCSL, heck even FII, anyday.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2158 on: November 15, 2013, 03:56:05 PM »
Sorry dudes. Not even trolling. It's just incredibly cheesey to me, highly derivative and bleh. Give me Awake, SDOIT, BCSL, heck even FII, anyday.

Time travel/past lives is cheesy but Spider-man isn't?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2159 on: November 15, 2013, 04:04:22 PM »
Give me Awake, SDOIT, BCSL, heck even FII, anyday.
FII is not "even FII" since it's superior to at least BCSL out of the ones you've listed

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2160 on: November 15, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »

Time travel/past lives is cheesy but Spider-man isn't?

« Reply #2161 on: November 15, 2013, 04:07:12 PM »
Spider-Man in the window?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2162 on: November 15, 2013, 04:09:18 PM »
Give me Awake, SDOIT, BCSL, heck even FII, anyday.
FII is not "even FII" since it's superior to at least BCSL out of the ones you've listed

Well, nah. It's easily the weakest out of the bunch there. Opinions, assholes etc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2163 on: November 15, 2013, 05:02:33 PM »

Alright, our love fest is over. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2164 on: November 15, 2013, 05:10:03 PM »

Criss Angel in the pool?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2165 on: November 15, 2013, 05:12:23 PM »

« Reply #2166 on: November 15, 2013, 05:16:28 PM »

Criss Angel in the pool?

The old man's in the music video...

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2167 on: November 15, 2013, 06:28:14 PM »

Alright, our love fest is over. :lol

:( nooooooooooooo

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2168 on: November 15, 2013, 06:43:59 PM »

Gotta agree with you, it's the only reason I listen to TSCO, other than the solo the song is pretty lame IMO.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2169 on: November 15, 2013, 07:23:36 PM »