Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 994669 times)

Offline FourthHorseman

• Cultivating my own nonsense
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #1785 on: September 29, 2013, 03:20:50 PM »
Blind Faith has worse lyrics than TCOT by a few lightyears. Worst in the DT discography.

I don't understand this.  I like most DT lyrics, but TCOT's lyrics are just pitiful. Completely ruins the song for me, and I would almost be embarrassed to show people that song because of it.

Glad that the lyrics have been greatly improved on these last two albums.  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1786 on: September 29, 2013, 03:44:24 PM »
TCOT and TBOT have lyrics that are amusingly bad. Some lines of Blind Faith make me cringe and I can't hardly listen to the song. It's one of my least favorite DT songs, bottom 5, largely because of the lyrics, though the music is nothing special.
And SDOIT disc one is pretty solid I guess, but it's not amazing. Blind Faith is on it, Misunderstood drags, TGD drags, ehh...
DT12 is largely poppy songs with prog elements, is what I come away from it feeling. The proggy bits feel forced, too, like they only made it that way so it would still be "prog".
And I don't mind the shorter track lengths, but the songs are just so... simple.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1787 on: September 29, 2013, 03:46:55 PM »
I would love to know how the songs on DT12 are "so simple"

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1788 on: September 29, 2013, 04:03:39 PM »
DT's songwriting has only gottenless technical and progressive over time. Less interesting, as a result.

I don't know about "less technical," but they're definitely not very progressive at this point.  But they're hardly the only band in their genre which, ironically, is largely stagnant and safe.

*snip*

Every word here still describes Dream Theater, and has ALWAYS described Dream Theater. They are still EXTREMELY progressive. I don't even know how you can say they aren't. Dream Theater is an art.

Well, as I understand it, there's a difference between 'progressive' the genre and 'progressive' the adjective.  Everything you just quoted describes progressive the genre, but progressive the adjective is more about pushing boundaries and trying new things.

Personally, I don't much care about labels, so it doesn't really matter to me.  But I thought I might be able to help you understand where j and others are coming from. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1789 on: September 29, 2013, 04:14:39 PM »
Surrender to Reason is hugely prog, The Enemy Inside is a hugely technical metal song, The Bigger Picture is a proggy power ballad, Illumination Theory is on it, FAS is just so DIFFERENT, The Looking Glass I guess is a Rush tribute (though some prefer the term ripoff  :yeahright), Enigma Machine is on it, Behind the Veil isn't prog, but that intro and the first lyrics are just so great. Along for the Ride is also not that prog, but its meant to be accessible.

I don't get how you could call this album simple.

DT's songwriting has only gottenless technical and progressive over time. Less interesting, as a result.

I don't know about "less technical," but they're definitely not very progressive at this point.  But they're hardly the only band in their genre which, ironically, is largely stagnant and safe.

*snip*

Every word here still describes Dream Theater, and has ALWAYS described Dream Theater. They are still EXTREMELY progressive. I don't even know how you can say they aren't. Dream Theater is an art.

Well, as I understand it, there's a difference between 'progressive' the genre and 'progressive' the adjective.  Everything you just quoted describes progressive the genre, but progressive the adjective is more about pushing boundaries and trying new things.

Personally, I don't much care about labels, so it doesn't really matter to me.  But I thought I might be able to help you understand where j and others are coming from. 

I think they should listen to 1. The drumming (not the drum's sound, as I know they will just talk about that), 2. the introduction to BEHIND THE VEIL. Jordan certainly hasn't done anything like that. 3. When have they ever decided to go ONLY orchestra? 4. Also, the ambient section, they've never done that (except TCOT, but I'm not counting that because I'm talking PURE ambient).

There are multiple things they've never done before. They always progress. I think they're least "progressing" album would probably be ADTOE, but we all know why that happened.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1790 on: September 29, 2013, 04:15:49 PM »
I guess that's what makes these opinions controversial :lol

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1791 on: September 29, 2013, 04:19:31 PM »
I guess that's what makes these opinions controversial :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1792 on: September 29, 2013, 04:47:26 PM »
I don't actually think that all of the turn of events on their previous album are all that dramatic. :dunno:

I don't really think that the chaos on display on DT9 is all that systematic - quite frankly :dunno:

I've listened to DT8 a number of times and to be quite honest - i've never felt trapped inside anything. :dunno:

Listening to DT5 does not give me flashbacks to any previous life or subconscious thoughts :dunno:

When listening to DT1 - Dream and Day have never once united... :dunno:

Not once whilst listening to DT4 have I ever fell into infinity. If I did - I'd still be there. Falling. I'm sitting in my room. :dunno:

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1793 on: September 29, 2013, 05:05:57 PM »
I don't actually think that all of the turn of events on their previous album are all that dramatic. :dunno:

I don't really think that the chaos on display on DT9 is all that systematic - quite frankly :dunno:

I've listened to DT8 a number of times and to be quite honest - i've never felt trapped inside anything. :dunno:

Listening to DT5 does not give me flashbacks to any previous life or subconscious thoughts :dunno:

Not once whilst listening to DT4 have I ever fell into infinity. If I did - I'd still be there. Falling. I'm sitting in my room. :dunno:

Let me guess... you slept through all of DT3?

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1794 on: September 29, 2013, 05:15:20 PM »

It wouldn't be unheard of

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1795 on: September 29, 2013, 05:23:23 PM »

It wouldn't be unheard of

Blates did. Blates. Totes slept thru the whole album :dunno:

I started listening to their 1995 EP in September and it's *STILL* Autumn. :dunno:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1796 on: September 29, 2013, 06:18:27 PM »
Regarding the prog discussion, DT is prog, but not progressive. I also kind of disagree with the "DT is art" statement. If anything, that lack of artistic vision is a main detractor for me. Their music is entertainment, but I can't call it art (anymore).
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1797 on: September 29, 2013, 06:32:03 PM »
I think Progressive can mean different things to different people. The problem with the genre is that at the peak of Progressive Rock, it was something new and revolutionary, and some people took that as something progressive. But if progressive means new and experimental by definition, then every band that's ever created a new genre or subgenre is progressive at their inception. By that definition, Soundgarden were progressive in the late 80s, and Metallica were progressive in the early 80s. But they can't be called "Progressive Metal" or "Progressive Rock" bands.
If Progressive Metal is a genre, then it can't be something that's new and experimental, because then it would be a genre that's always changing and constantly undefined. By that definition, Images and Words is a progressive album, but any album that sounds like I&W, but is released thereafter, is no longer a progressive album. In which case, what exactly is it, then?

That's why I don't go for the whole, "Progressive music has to be experimental" crap. If that's the case, then it should just be called "Experimental Rock" or "Experimental Metal" shouldn't it?
Progressive, to me, is a self-contained statement. If a song progresses in itself, with time signature changes, evolving musical ideas and motifs, then it's progressive. And by that definition, every DT album fits the description perfectly.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1798 on: September 29, 2013, 06:43:38 PM »
Maybe not experimental but it would be nice for the band to actively evolve their sound. They've been using the same playbook for nearly a decade.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1799 on: September 29, 2013, 06:48:15 PM »
I disagree. I would say that whatever definition of "progressive" should not just include any kind of experimentation, since it obviously should be a bit more specific than that. However, any band that has been sticking to their stylistic guns for a long time, and DT IMHO counts as that, can not possibly be "progressive" in any kind of sense. DT used to be progressive in their early days where every new album was a new exploration in music. SC->DT12 is the same type of music, in different variations. That may be labeled as "prog" to indicate the overall genre of instrumentation and writing approach, but it is not "progressive".

Offline j

« Reply #1800 on: September 29, 2013, 07:45:43 PM »

I disagree. I would say that whatever definition of "progressive" should not just include any kind of experimentation, since it obviously should be a bit more specific than that. However, any band that has been sticking to their stylistic guns for a long time, and DT IMHO counts as that, can not possibly be "progressive" in any kind of sense. DT used to be progressive in their early days where every new album was a new exploration in music. SC->DT12 is the same type of music, in different variations. That may be labeled as "prog" to indicate the overall genre of instrumentation and writing approach, but it is not "progressive".

Basically these.

@Lucien:
Of course DT's albums and songs are not all exactly identical, that would be ridiculous.  But they also don't evolve or change their sound; they rely on primarily the very same elements in their music that they always have.  They may be a "prog metal band" or whatever people who are into genres want to call it, but it is not really "progressive."

Don't get me wrong, just because I personally would like to see some significant departure from their formulas doesn't mean that they shouldn't stick to what they love and are good at.  And I still enjoy a lot of their music.  I just think "progressive" is a misnomer.

-J

« Reply #1801 on: September 29, 2013, 08:00:37 PM »
SC->DT12 is the same type of music, in different variations. That may be labeled as "prog" to indicate the overall genre of instrumentation and writing approach, but it is not "progressive".

Well, to be fair, when DT DID try to do something different and experimental and come out of their comfort zone (songs like TDEN and Prophets of War), fans generally didn't like it and still bitch about those songs to this day. So frankly, can you blame them?

Also, I personally feel like SDOIT -> 8VM is the same type of music in different variations as well. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that, and that music is still progressive in the self-contained way I described earlier.

Like I said, to me, band sticking to its "Stylistic guns" has absolutely nothing to do with the term "progressive" as to me, that term represents the actual musical structure, rather than how the style evolves.

« Reply #1802 on: September 29, 2013, 08:01:31 PM »
Dream theater used to be really cool, funky, and almost futuristic. Like the beginning of Take the Time and the riff in Strange Deja Vu and "Metropolis sur-rounds me." They don't do that anymore. I miss it, man. :'(

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1803 on: September 29, 2013, 08:07:53 PM »
People bitching bands don't sound the same after 12 albums. . .  :xbones :dunno:

AC/DC & Mötorhead are THATTAWAY  - - - - - - - - >

;D ;D

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1804 on: September 29, 2013, 08:15:59 PM »
So DTF is now an authority on reforming the English language? Abbreviations gain new meanings? Prog ≠ Progressive? I mean, I get the line of thinking, but that's one of the most extreme cases of hairsplitting ever. DT plays progressive metal, by the books. Whether or not there is a progression in their musical evolution is an entirely different subject matter and shouldn't be mixed up with something as simple as the name of a genre.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1805 on: September 29, 2013, 08:43:12 PM »
Their music is entertainment, but I can't call it art (anymore).

Couldn't agree more.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1806 on: September 29, 2013, 09:08:04 PM »
What music can be called art?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1807 on: September 29, 2013, 09:08:08 PM »
Blind Faith has worse lyrics than TCOT by a few lightyears. Worst in the DT discography.
SDOIT as an album is inconsistent and the title track doesn't deserve half the praise it gets.
Illumination Theory is the worst DT epic.
The new album is second worst only to SC.
DT's songwriting has only gotten less technical and progressive over time. Less interesting, as a result.
The guest vocalist on Lines in the Sand ruins the entire rest of the song for me.
Awake is the best DT album.
SFAM has no top 10 songs even if it's one of their better albums.
Ruddess is DT's least interesting keyboardist.
ANTR is a better song than it gets credit for. TBOT as well.
Burning My Soul is so much worse than You Not Me it isn't even funny. I'm not laughing.

Can't think of any more horrible things to say about the band right now though.

I'm too lazy to reply, so I'm just bolding the most lolworthy ones for me.

All of it, or none of it. I think it's kind of pretentious to draw arbitrary lines of what ones you feel can be considered "art".
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

« Reply #1808 on: September 29, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »

All of it, or none of it. I think it's kind of pretentious to draw arbitrary lines of what ones you feel can be considered "art".

Agreed. I don't like all music, but then I don't like all art. Some art, I consider to be crappy art. But it's still art.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1809 on: September 29, 2013, 09:32:28 PM »
So DTF is now an authority on reforming the English language? Abbreviations gain new meanings? Prog ≠ Progressive? I mean, I get the line of thinking, but that's one of the most extreme cases of hairsplitting ever. DT plays progressive metal, by the books. Whether or not there is a progression in their musical evolution is an entirely different subject matter and shouldn't be mixed up with something as simple as the name of a genre.

Dude, this distinction between "prog" and "progressive" has been going on for a long time, here and at many other places. It simply stems from the fact that while bands like Radiohead are clearly not "prog", a lot of people want to have a label for them that puts them and others into a category of "radically evolving, pushing the boundaries". Well, that label is "progressive".

Offline j

« Reply #1810 on: September 29, 2013, 09:39:39 PM »
Like I said, to me, band sticking to its "Stylistic guns" has absolutely nothing to do with the term "progressive" as to me, that term represents the actual musical structure, rather than how the style evolves.

Even so, can you really call the musical structure "progressive" anymore if it's been done for 20+ years?

Huh??  The word "progressive" had a definition long before there was any such thing as a genre of music called "prog."  And the thing you're calling simple (genre labels) is the source of a ton of unnecessary muddling of music discussion, which is why I personally have very little use for it.  DT (and plenty of others) may be conventionally known as a "prog metal" band, but that is very different from being *progressive* in the true sense of the word.

-J

Offline FourthHorseman

• Cultivating my own nonsense
« Reply #1811 on: September 29, 2013, 09:53:24 PM »
>>> Saying music is not art

>>> arguing over the definition of "progressive"

Offline LTE3

« Reply #1812 on: September 29, 2013, 10:25:41 PM »
I feel like the drum sound on DT12 is so genuinely terrible that I can't even appreciate whatever it is that Mike's playing on the drums, no matter how amazing it really is. It just sounds so bad that I can't help but wish for the other Mike's sound again  :-X

I think Mike completely missed his chance to make his big entrance into the DT family with his performance on this album. It's exactly what I was hoping it wouldn't be.

I could not agree more, after more and more listens I do of course moments of brilliance but the sound of the drums is just not that good. They sound like the drums on an 80's Stryper record which is not good.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

« Reply #1813 on: September 29, 2013, 11:02:52 PM »

Even so, can you really call the musical structure "progressive" anymore if it's been done for 20+ years?

But the music progresses as you listen to it. It starts out with one melody or riff, or rhythm, and then the time signatures change, the melodies and riffs grow or change, and even the tone of the song progresses as it goes on, from something more melancholy to something more aggressive, or something intense to something happy. It's the way it's always been, and still is the case with DT12, and it's what defines "progressive" to me, when pertaining to the music.

Offline 425

« Reply #1814 on: September 30, 2013, 04:30:54 AM »
*raises hand*

What is wrong with "experimental" as an adjective? If a band continually pushes musical boundaries, they are being experimental.

"Progressive rock/metal" is a genre of music. You may not like the etymology of this, but the fact remains that when you are discussing music and you say "that song is a really progressive" OR "that song is really proggy" (because prog is just an abbreviation for progressive), you are using a word that refers to a particular genre. It is NO DIFFERENT than if I say that a song is thrashy. I don't literally mean that the song is thrashing around like a dead fish or something, I'm saying the song shares many of the characteristics of the genre thrash metal.

The whole "prog/progressive" argument is really kind of ridiculous. It only serves to confuse when people start deciding that a band can be prog without being progressive or whatever. Dream Theater is a progressive band, because they do things like using unusual time signatures and displaying a high degree of technical ability. You may think that DT is not a very EXPERIMENTAL band, but it sounds silly to say something like "they're prog but not progressive."

Again, you may not like this, but terms have specific meanings, and spontaneously changing them when you for some reason can't say what you mean with the word "experimental" confuses exactly everybody.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1815 on: September 30, 2013, 04:52:26 AM »

Dude, this distinction between "prog" and "progressive" has been going on for a long time, here and at many other places. It simply stems from the fact that while bands like Radiohead are clearly not "prog", a lot of people want to have a label for them that puts them and others into a category of "radically evolving, pushing the boundaries". Well, that label is "progressive".

Huh??  The word "progressive" had a definition long before there was any such thing as a genre of music called "prog."  And the thing you're calling simple (genre labels) is the source of a ton of unnecessary muddling of music discussion, which is why I personally have very little use for it.  DT (and plenty of others) may be conventionally known as a "prog metal" band, but that is very different from being *progressive* in the true sense of the word.

-J

I'm aware of that, I had this discussion at progarchives forums probably around 2009, but it still seems just as ridiculous and arbitrary today. If it means something else for some people on certain forums, go ahead, but don't act like it's official. What's wrong with calling Radiohead experimental rock btw? And looking at "progressive" as a standalone adjective is off topic here, we're talking genre names. DT might not be progressive, but they always were, and always will be, progressive metal.

I fully agree with the two posts above me (TheGreatPretender, 425).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:52:36 AM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1816 on: September 30, 2013, 05:40:36 AM »
Honestly, whenever the whole "prog/progressive" argument comes up, I realize how trivial genre labels are. What does it even matter? The only classification that matters is whether it's good or not to you. And as long as it's good, who gives a crap if it's progressive, or prog, or polkacore, or folk slop?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1817 on: September 30, 2013, 05:58:45 AM »
Amen Blob, Amen.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1818 on: September 30, 2013, 06:17:47 AM »

inB4 "Kid A & Amnesiac"  ::)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1819 on: September 30, 2013, 08:42:11 AM »
Really, all music is art. Even KrotchRaut. It was created, like a painting. A really shitty painting, and there are plenty of those in Museums.