Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 994692 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #1575 on: September 02, 2013, 11:42:55 AM »
But... Raise The Knife..?.? :sad:
It ain't got nothing on LITS or TOT

Even if you think that, it's still way better than NM. Heck, they could have even gotten rid of BMS and HK, and replaced them with RTK and it would have been better.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #1576 on: September 02, 2013, 11:48:58 AM »
Ooh. If we're doing B-Side based opinions, I reckon Don't Look Past Me would've been far and away the best song on Images and Words, had it been recorded for the album.
Found this song on Youtube. Not sure if it would have been the best song on the album, but it certainly should have made the album. Great tune. :metal

On another note, I'll paraphrase a comment on there that I totally agree with. While Jordan is technically a better player, he can't hold a candle to Kevin Moore's arrangement.

Give SDOIT (the song) a spin. And listen carefully to what Jordan does.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1577 on: September 02, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
But... Raise The Knife..?.? :sad:
It ain't got nothing on LITS or TOT

Even if you think that, it's still way better than NM. Heck, they could have even gotten rid of BMS and HK, and replaced them with RTK and it would have been better.

NM is definitely better than RTK for me, personally.  But I do agree that they could have cut a couple of shorter tracks for RTK.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1578 on: September 02, 2013, 01:59:06 PM »
My controversial opinion on RTK is that I've never cared about it or liked the lyrics and I think it's the most overrated non-album track by DT.

Offline jmasterx

« Reply #1579 on: September 02, 2013, 03:43:42 PM »
Mike > Mike.

I'm surprised this has not come up yet  :azn:

Offline FourthHorseman

• Cultivating my own nonsense
« Reply #1580 on: September 02, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »
Mike > Mike.

I'm surprised this has not come up yet  :azn:

Seriously?  :tdwn

Mike >>>> Mike

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #1581 on: September 02, 2013, 03:45:43 PM »
Well I think Mike<<<<<Mike!
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline FourthHorseman

« Reply #1582 on: September 02, 2013, 03:52:43 PM »

Offline JPX

« Reply #1583 on: September 02, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »
My controversial opinion on RTK is that I've never cared about it or liked the lyrics and I think it's the most overrated non-album track by DT.

I'm with you man. It doesn't do anything for me on any level.

Offline JPX

« Reply #1584 on: September 02, 2013, 04:35:22 PM »
Ooh. If we're doing B-Side based opinions, I reckon Don't Look Past Me would've been far and away the best song on Images and Words, had it been recorded for the album.

:o You seriously think that DLPM is better than everything on I&W?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1585 on: September 02, 2013, 07:58:27 PM »
The Best of Times should have just been an EP. I'd rather listen to Raw Dog, and have it as a replacement on BCSL.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1586 on: September 02, 2013, 08:34:04 PM »
The Best of Times should have just been an EP. I'd rather listen to Raw Dog, and have it as a replacement on BCSL.

I think TBOT could have been an excellent song if they cut out all of the happy bits, basically the first verse and chorus.
I was going to do my own cut of it with the stems, but never quite sorted out the transitions to do it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1587 on: September 02, 2013, 08:36:42 PM »

I think TBOT could have been an excellent song if they cut out all of the happy bits, basically the first verse and chorus.
I was going to do my own cut of it with the stems, but never quite sorted out the transitions to do it.

??? This is the weirdest opinion I've ever heard about this one. 

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1588 on: September 02, 2013, 08:40:40 PM »

Raw Dog has a nice riff at least.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1589 on: September 02, 2013, 08:42:26 PM »

Really? I just don't like the way the upbeat sections sound. The melodies are a little corny to me. But the sadder sections with just acoustic and voice are beautiful. I'd love to make a cut that basically has just the acoustic/vocal sections, then busts into the big JP solo at the end.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1590 on: September 02, 2013, 09:12:49 PM »

Really? I just don't like the way the upbeat sections sound. The melodies are a little corny to me. But the sadder sections with just acoustic and voice are beautiful. I'd love to make a cut that basically has just the acoustic/vocal sections, then busts into the big JP solo at the end.

I agree with all of this. The melodic intro with the violin and acoustic guitar solo is one of the most beautiful pieces of music DT has crafted to my ears. If they cut out all the Rush bits it would be a damn fine song. They ruin the beautiful main theme with all the (frankly annoying) 7/4 nostalgia verses.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #1591 on: September 02, 2013, 09:20:50 PM »
Awake is the most overrated album.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1592 on: September 02, 2013, 09:21:39 PM »

What i was saying the other day Blob?
Hearing the songs, i have the feeling that something is missing or some section is out-of-place("They could have done better than this")"" (I was talking about some post-8varium songs)
TBOT could have been better indeed if they had cut some things.

Offline fllnsprrw

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1593 on: September 02, 2013, 09:25:29 PM »
I love those upbeat happy parts in the TBOT...To each his own. But with any DT song  i have never had to pick apart and choose what parts i like and what i don't , what could have been done better, or what should have been omitted, truncated, extended, etc...It's usually all or nothing with me. Either i like it or i don't. I never think "oooh i wish they had never included that part." One section could either ruin the entire song for me or be its saving grace. It's usually the latter so far. But that's just weird me and that's why DT is my favorite band. I hope that trend with continue with the upcoming album.
1. Images & Words/ 2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence/ 3. Scenes From a Memory

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1594 on: September 02, 2013, 09:56:58 PM »
PoW is a great song. People only dislike it because they read about other people disliking it online and subconsciously dislike the song in order to fit with public opinion
No, people dislike it because it's relatively awful.  You just happen to be in the minority of people who like it.  Which is fine, but doesn't really allow you to justify your like of it by accusing everyone who dislikes it of being bandwagon haters.  WTF, we're all DT fans, we like stuff that the majority of people don't.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #1595 on: September 02, 2013, 10:05:30 PM »
Found this song on Youtube. Not sure if it would have been the best song on the album, but it certainly should have made the album. Great tune. :metal

On another note, I'll paraphrase a comment on there that I totally agree with. While Jordan is technically a better player, he can't hold a candle to Kevin Moore's arrangement.

Give SDOIT (the song) a spin. And listen carefully to what Jordan does.
I've never thought of 6DOIT as one song.... which part?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1596 on: September 02, 2013, 10:38:29 PM »

I agree with all of this. The melodic intro with the violin and acoustic guitar solo is one of the most beautiful pieces of music DT has crafted to my ears. If they cut out all the Rush bits it would be a damn fine song. They ruin the beautiful main theme with all the (frankly annoying) 7/4 nostalgia verses.

Huh.  I for one think that it would be tiring if the band smashed all of the slow, sad stuff together.  The upbeat verses are really catchy and give the song some much-needed variety.  It also makes sense that those verses are included since MP is happy that he got to spend time with his father.

« Reply #1597 on: September 02, 2013, 10:42:49 PM »
I think TBOT could have been an excellent song if they cut out all of the happy bits,

I think that applies to every non-excellent song, ever.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1598 on: September 02, 2013, 10:51:40 PM »
I think TBOT could have been an excellent song if they cut out all of the happy bits,

I think that applies to every non-excellent song, ever.  :lol

??? Unless I'm misunderstanding you, not at all. Songs aren't bad because they have happy bits. I just don't think the happy bits in this song happen to be very strong.

« Reply #1599 on: September 02, 2013, 10:58:03 PM »
??? Unless I'm misunderstanding you, not at all. Songs aren't bad because they have happy bits. I just don't think the happy bits in this song happen to be very strong.

Wow, I completely, I misread. I thought you said, "The song would be great if they cut out all the crappy bits."  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1600 on: September 02, 2013, 11:01:54 PM »

Wow, I completely, I misread. I thought you said, "The song would be great if they cut out all the crappy bits."  :lol

:rollin Now that makes a lot more sense.

Of course that still doesn't hold true, because sometimes if you cut out all of the crappy bits, you're left with no song at all! :biggrin:

« Reply #1601 on: September 02, 2013, 11:04:42 PM »

Of course that still doesn't hold true, because sometimes if you cut out all of the crappy bits, you're left with no song at all! :biggrin:

Well yeah. But generally speaking, it reminded me of a statement like, "This would be good, if they improved all the bad parts."

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1602 on: September 02, 2013, 11:16:40 PM »

Well yeah. But generally speaking, it reminded me of a statement like, "This would be good, if they improved all the bad parts."

This song would be good if it was a good song. :neverusethis:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1603 on: September 03, 2013, 12:24:27 AM »
PoW is a great song. People only dislike it because they read about other people disliking it online and subconsciously dislike the song in order to fit with public opinion

Uhhhhhh what Hef said.

Not everyone is a bandwagon hater.

« Reply #1604 on: September 03, 2013, 12:41:46 AM »

This song would be good if it was a good song. :neverusethis:

Exactly! It would be good if it didn't suck.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1605 on: September 03, 2013, 12:48:56 AM »
OK, Here goes! Don't kill me for this;

I think that Petrucci's guitar playing has been getting "more simple"  than before.
Looking back at I&W and FII he had that these cool groovy , almost funky guitar riffs and solos.
But novadays its mostly these low riffs and power chords and super fast soloing.

Haha xD sorry.  I'll delete my account now. sorry.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1606 on: September 03, 2013, 12:50:27 AM »

It's a top 20 DT song for me, maybe even top 10.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1607 on: September 03, 2013, 01:05:44 AM »
OK, Here goes! Don't kill me for this;

I think that Petrucci's guitar playing has been getting "more simple"  than before.
Looking back at I&W and FII he had that these cool groovy , almost funky guitar riffs and solos.
But novadays its mostly these low riffs and power chords and super fast soloing.

Haha xD sorry.  I'll delete my account now. sorry.

You're goddamn right, i miss songs in the style of TTT and LitS  :'(

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1608 on: September 03, 2013, 04:49:42 AM »

:o You seriously think that DLPM is better than everything on I&W?
Yeah, I reckon so! "Far and away" might've been overegging it, given the quality of the tracks that are already on there, but I reckon I like it comfortably more than Pull Me Under, Another Day, Take The Time, Metropolis and Wait for Sleep. Under a Glass Moon and Surrounded are its main competition, for me, and... yeah, it could take them!

Offline FourthHorseman

« Reply #1609 on: September 03, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »