Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 315862 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2065 on: May 31, 2020, 11:23:49 AM »
Jordan Rudess: "Well, the answer is we are looking at our schedules, we are organizing a time. With the [coronavirus] pandemic, it's been a little difficult to coordinate personal kind of gatherings, but it looks very good, my friend."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kxKcSBoqX4&feature=emb_title

...and cue all the Dream Theater reunion gossip. ::)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2066 on: May 31, 2020, 11:52:06 AM »
Jordan Rudess: "Well, the answer is we are looking at our schedules, we are organizing a time. With the [coronavirus] pandemic, it's been a little difficult to coordinate personal kind of gatherings, but it looks very good, my friend."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kxKcSBoqX4&feature=emb_title

...and cue all the Dream Theater reunion gossip. ::)
which was to be expected I think.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2067 on: May 31, 2020, 12:03:30 PM »
Interesting... this is something that I thought JP and Jordan would always avoid just because this would start all kind of speculation of MP returning to DT. Let’s see if this will be for real. Anyway, it would be great to hear something new from LTE!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2068 on: May 31, 2020, 12:20:03 PM »
Interesting... this is something that I thought JP and Jordan would always avoid just because this would start all kind of speculation of MP returning to DT. Let’s see if this will be for real. Anyway, it would be great to hear something new from LTE!

Normally I'd be thinking about a tour but I don't know how that would happen at this point unless we're talking 2022. The touring tarmac is already piled up and who even knows what that would look like unless they do a virtual thing. Many questions.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2069 on: May 31, 2020, 12:20:35 PM »
I believe this when I see it  :eek
Would love to see them live. I never had the chance.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2070 on: May 31, 2020, 12:32:50 PM »

Well, we have now a clear picture that LTE reuniting is basically MP reuniting with the part of DT that he actually cares about. I don't know his personal feelings on the matter but maybe "doing music with JP again" to him matters as much as "being back in DT". We can't be sure, but I would be sure that making music again with JP would be closure enough for him.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2071 on: May 31, 2020, 12:42:47 PM »
That is a great point. I am not a big fan of closure, and cannot speak to anyone else's opinions on it, and if they may or may not need if for themselves. If it helps Mike feel better about the separation and time apart, then I support it.

LTE is a bore to me, but if it makes the 4 of them happy, and their fans happy, and it doesn't adversely affect DT, I say go for it!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2072 on: May 31, 2020, 02:04:57 PM »
Itll be interesting to see what they come up with thats for sure. I can't even imagine what dt chat is going to be like when and if they do start recording/touring :lol

"JP and MP smiled at each other while playing, when will Mike Manginis last show be?"

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2073 on: May 31, 2020, 02:23:23 PM »
Honestly, to see JP and MP making music again would be cool as simple as that.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline HOF

« Reply #2074 on: May 31, 2020, 02:55:13 PM »
I would have low expectations for an LTE 3, but I’d probably buy it for nostalgia alone. The first two LTE albums were kind of transformational in terms of how I viewed instrumental and progressive music.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2075 on: May 31, 2020, 02:57:46 PM »
Well considering that one of MPs biggest criticisms (which I agree with) is that he’s repetitive and not too into pushing the boundaries, along with the fact that the last few DT albums showed me that I don’t connect to JP or JRs current style of writing, I have low expectations.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2076 on: May 31, 2020, 03:05:11 PM »
Well considering that one of MPs biggest criticisms (which I agree with) is that he’s repetitive and not too into pushing the boundaries, along with the fact that the last few DT albums showed me that I don’t connect to JP or JRs current style of writing, I have low expectations.

This is ignoring Tony Levin’s potential influence though. Different musicians can bring different things out of these guys. Look at how much better Portnoy’s playing is with Neal Morse Band than with other projects. Plus the excitement they might feel about playing together again could bring some interesting results.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2077 on: May 31, 2020, 03:10:33 PM »

This is ignoring Tony Levin’s potential influence though. Different musicians can bring different things out of these guys. Look at how much better Portnoy’s playing is with Neal Morse Band than with other projects. Plus the excitement they might feel about playing together again could bring some interesting results.

Haha, I actually completely forgot about Tony. So good point! Though not quite enough drastically change the equation in my eyes.

And again, maybe it'll be good. But the known variables, for me, point it not being good, while the unknown variables could potentially change that. If they do it, I'll listen and judge then. But I'm not excited. Which might be good, sometimes being shocked at how good something is is better than having it just live up to what you assumed it would.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2078 on: May 31, 2020, 07:54:37 PM »
Recent listens of each reinforced my belief that both LTE albums are better than any Dream Theater album not named Images and Words, Awake or Scenes from a Memory, so if they make a proper third album, and it is close to as good as the first two, I will be thrilled.  The cool thing about LTE is that they were willing to go to places DT is not (see: Liquid Dreams), so I say bring it on.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2079 on: May 31, 2020, 07:57:46 PM »
Recent listens of each reinforced my belief that both LTE albums are better than any Dream Theater album not named Images and Words, Awake or Scenes from a Memory, so if they make a proper third album, and it is close to as good as the first two, I will be thrilled.  The cool thing about LTE is that they were willing to go to places DT is not (see: Liquid Dreams), so I say bring it on.

I would agree with this assessment but would substitute FII for SFAM (I think of SFAM as LTE with cheesy lyrics).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 08:06:17 PM by HOF »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2080 on: May 31, 2020, 08:03:43 PM »
I haven't listened to the LTE albums in YEARS. Probably over ten.

I always figured Jordan would do an LTE album with MP, but I thought JP would sit it out. Kind of surprised he'd knowingly invite all of the speculation it would bring to a "DT Reunion". Seems out of character for JP, honestly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2081 on: May 31, 2020, 10:21:11 PM »

I always figured Jordan would do an LTE album with MP, but I thought JP would sit it out. Kind of surprised he'd knowingly invite all of the speculation it would bring to a "DT Reunion". Seems out of character for JP, honestly.

I think the right thing to do (but this most likely wouldn’t happen) is for MP to put the speculation completely to rest. Saying something along the lines of “I wanted to work with John and Jordan as a songwriting trio again, but my Dream Theater days are over. The band and I have both come to peace with the split and both parties are happy with where they are in their careers. Having the opportunity to reunite Liquid Tension Experiment and work with John and Jordan in a professional capacity is closure enough for me, and I hope it is for you guys too, because I’m proud of the work I’ve done since leaving Dream Theater, and the band has done some truly amazing things without me”.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2082 on: May 31, 2020, 10:55:22 PM »
A Liquid Tension reunion would be a dream come true for me. I just recently listened to some LTE last week as I was re-ripping music to my laptop/portable HDD, and I forgot just how GOOD these songs were! Even the improv is so entertaining, and I'll definitely say that Tony Levin's influence is definitely felt in the band as well. It won't be a DT re-hash with JR/JP/MP, and I think if they get back together, there will be the same LTE chemistry that they had in the last 90s, and again in 2008 on their 10th Anniversary tour.

I think if they get together to do another album in the next year or two, and release the album in 2022, they could do a 25th Anniversary Tour in 2023, and I'm sure it'll be a HUGE hit.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2083 on: June 01, 2020, 06:28:59 AM »
Itll be interesting to see what they come up with thats for sure. I can't even imagine what dt chat is going to be like when and if they do start recording/touring :lol

"JP and MP smiled at each other while playing, when will Mike Manginis last show be?"
The chat on this website would do nothing of the sort, but I can't guarantee anything on other social media  :lol people be stumpid

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2084 on: June 01, 2020, 06:35:52 AM »

I think the right thing to do (but this most likely wouldn’t happen) is for MP to put the speculation completely to rest. Saying something along the lines of “I wanted to work with John and Jordan as a songwriting trio again, but my Dream Theater days are over. The band and I have both come to peace with the split and both parties are happy with where they are in their careers. Having the opportunity to reunite Liquid Tension Experiment and work with John and Jordan in a professional capacity is closure enough for me, and I hope it is for you guys too, because I’m proud of the work I’ve done since leaving Dream Theater, and the band has done some truly amazing things without me”.

MP should hire you to work PR

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2085 on: June 01, 2020, 06:40:14 AM »
So three guys who are friends for like.. over twenty years, who recorded lots of music together can't reunite to play more music because of fear of speculation or some kind of reaction on internet? Cmon. LTE is not DT. They don't own anyone an explanation. Speculations don't mean shit. Musicians should play music, not explain themselves to a speculating public. People can speculate for years, it doesn't change anything.. if they make a reunion I don't think it will be because there were speculations and they feel a bit forced.

When Portnoy posted that pic of him with Petrucci and wrote "give peace a chance" there were also speculations. Should he or Petrucci have to explain themselves everytime they do something together or collaborate in some way? "Hey Mangini, sorry man.. we're gonna have to let you go.. you know.. so much speculation on the internet.. sorry man.. we have no choice.. we have to bring Portnoy back."

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #2086 on: June 01, 2020, 06:56:52 AM »
Come to think of it, there are a LOT of projects I think Gary Cherone would be ideal for.  And yet, he hasn't really done much through the years.  I wonder if he is difficult to work with or something.  Just speculating.

Years ago there was a show on VH1 (i think) where they'd go around and reunite bands for 'one more' performance. I remember Flock of Seagulls did it....and there were a few others. They tried to get Extreme to do it and most of them were up for it but Cherone wanted nothing to do with it. when they tracked him down he was overseeing a residential house being built. I think the dude was just 'over' the whole thing....I remember reading somewhere where it was said he resented the fact that Extreme was only known for that 'more than words' ballad and not being the 'rock' band they were.

that's funny, I wonder what changed because Extreme did reunite in the late 2000s and are still playing gigs (or they did before... all this)

edit: nevermind it's already been covered, carry on lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2087 on: June 01, 2020, 09:05:34 AM »
So three guys who are friends for like.. over twenty years, who recorded lots of music together can't reunite to play more music because of fear of speculation or some kind of reaction on internet?

No.  Nobody said anything remotely like that. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2088 on: June 01, 2020, 09:28:33 AM »
I have a feeling John and Jordan delayed a potential LTE reunion in order to avoid any "OMG! P0RTN0I RETURN IN DT!" speculations. But since it's been ten years and they've made it clear that Mangini is their guy, now might be the time not to worry about some fans misinterpreting what's happening.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2089 on: June 01, 2020, 09:31:15 AM »
My point wasn't that there would or wouldn't be speculation. I mean there will be.
My point was that I'm surprised JP would be basically inviting it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2090 on: June 01, 2020, 09:34:03 AM »
I have a feeling John and Jordan delayed a potential LTE reunion in order to avoid any "OMG! P0RTN0I RETURN IN DT!" speculations. But since it's been ten years and they've made it clear that Mangini is their guy, now might be the time not to worry about some fans misinterpreting what's happening.

I'm not so sure.  I don't get the impression that Jordan cares much about that.  And John...I mean, he hasn't even been able to get his own solo album together after all this time.  I think the main issue for him is just working out the scheduling.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2091 on: June 01, 2020, 09:56:34 AM »

Very well written, and I certainly get the sentiment (and respect it); honestly, though, I don't think a statement like that would move the needle even one bit for either of the extremes of the fanbase.   

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2092 on: June 01, 2020, 10:10:32 AM »

Very well written, and I certainly get the sentiment (and respect it); honestly, though, I don't think a statement like that would move the needle even one bit for either of the extremes of the fanbase.

The only comments MP has ever made about DT's material after he left was that ADTOE debacle of them just rehashing IAW's. After that.....I don't recall where he's publicly made a comment about their material? At least.....not a positive comment. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2093 on: June 01, 2020, 10:59:16 AM »
The only comments MP has ever made about DT's material after he left was that ADTOE debacle of them just rehashing IAW's. After that.....I don't recall where he's publicly made a comment about their material? At least.....not a positive comment.
The last time I checked he said he can't listen to it because it feels weird to him to listen to it, and I think he may or may not have used the marriage analogy again :D

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2094 on: June 01, 2020, 11:11:46 AM »
The last time I checked he said he can't listen to it because it feels weird to him to listen to it, and I think he may or may not have used the marriage analogy again :D

Yeah.....he's in a no win situation really with making any comments about DT members or music. If they're construed negatively then he's just bitter and still holding on to the past....if he says something positive it's he wishes he'd never have left and now regrets his decisions.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2095 on: June 01, 2020, 11:25:39 AM »
I don't really agree with that.  I mean I'm sure some people will say that he regrets his decision, but then, they say that now.  But in general, I actually think people would be more likely to say that he regrets his decision if he says that he can't listen to Dream theater because it's too weird or emotional. If he just says that they put out some great stuff, no big deal.

But I don't think it's really necessary for him to say anything. It's been awhile since he has, and I don't see any problem with him continuing to remain silent on that.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2096 on: June 01, 2020, 11:54:13 AM »
The last comment he made about DT's post 2010 albums was that during all this time, they've released only 4 studio albums, while he's done a lot more :lol
But, yeah, he hasn't made any positive comments about the music, ever (not that he has to, of course, but it wouldn't hurt).

At least we know he has the albums in his itunes library. Who else remembers he posted a list of the longest songs he has in his music library and that Illumination Theory appeared?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2097 on: June 01, 2020, 01:05:59 PM »
Regarding Mike and DT, I do recall a moment in the tour documentary from The Neal Morse Band (I think for The Great AdvenTour), Mike was annoyed how an app on his phone kept recommending him the new DT album (d/t) for him to listen to.  :lol

I guess that would be like if Facebook kept recommending me to add an ex as a friend!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2098 on: June 01, 2020, 01:07:32 PM »
That's hilarious!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2099 on: June 01, 2020, 02:00:32 PM »
I don't like all of LTE, but they do have some great songs. Some good ballads, and neat improv style songs.

Liquid Dreams
Freedom of Speech
A State of Grace
Acid Rain
When The Water Breaks

These are my top 5. I'm looking forwards to hearing more emotion and jams similar to these.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD