Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 315864 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #1750 on: April 17, 2020, 06:09:34 PM »
I’ve come to the conclusion that MP is the Adam Sandler of Metal. His best work is behind him, and all he wants to do nowadays is just projects for fun with his friends with maybe an occasional uncut gem every now and then.

I've come to the conclusion that I have a really hard time getting in to any of MP's projects that don't involve Neal Morse. Neal knows how to utilize MP's ability. All the other projects just simply don't. In DT MP had JP to keep him grounded and to capture his ability.......Neal does the same for him. In all the other one's MP is largely unchallenged and I think that's a detriment to him. On top of the fact that IMO the talent in TNMB (& DT for that matter) far outweighs the talent in his other projects.

I don’t think it’s a matter of MP not being utilized in his various projects. He’s just the drummer and he does his thing pretty much no matter what. His projects rise and fall on the strength of the collaborators IMO, and right now for me it’s basically Richie Kotzen and to an extent the guys in FC who are the only collaborators who seem to have anything interesting to offer. Richie is a strong writer. Casey seems to have some songwriting strengths too, though I don’t love everything FC does.

I’ve almost given up on Neal Morse TBH. He hasn’t made a prog album that I’ve enjoyed outside of FC since Testimony. I just can’t get into NMB or most of his solo stuff. Maybe TA still has some magic up its sleeve though.

One thing that seems to separate TWD and FC from his other projects is those songs seem to have been a little bit more crafted rather than just putting a bunch of guys in a room for a week or two and putting down whatever you come up with on tape and calling it an album. Mike loves going to that well because it worked for LTE and the first two Transatlantic albums, but I don’t think it’s really worked too well outside of those albums.

For me, I have to like nearly all of the other band mates or collaborators.  It's OK it there's one that's a X Factor or someone I'm not into but any more than that is generally a red flag for me that I might not like it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1751 on: April 18, 2020, 11:50:08 AM »
Has anyone watched the latest TNMB dvd Live from The Great Adventure tour?  Mike Portnoy's performance is just stellar on that!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1752 on: April 18, 2020, 06:38:03 PM »
I’ve pretty much given up on following him anymore. It’s the same formula..put some random dudes together, half-ass write some songs really quick and play a bunch of covers. Wash, rinse and repeat.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1753 on: April 20, 2020, 07:45:51 AM »

For me, I have to like nearly all of the other band mates or collaborators.  It's OK it there's one that's a X Factor or someone I'm not into but any more than that is generally a red flag for me that I might not like it.

That's a fine line, though.  I know for me, if I took a hard line on that, I would have missed out on the wonderful Neal Morse, and with that logic I would have liked The Winery Dogs much more than I actually do.   I think this is an important point, because I suspect that there's at least a degree to which Mike views these projects as a way to "open up" guys to a wider audience.  I think it fails though, because the logic that "so-and-so would be huge if only people heard them" is flawed from the get-go.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline frogprog

« Reply #1755 on: April 20, 2020, 07:30:07 PM »
Happy Birthday Mike! Thanks for all the musical pleasure you have given me over the years!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1756 on: April 21, 2020, 04:20:15 AM »
Happy birthday Mike! Thanks for everything  :heart

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1758 on: April 21, 2020, 07:06:02 AM »

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1759 on: April 21, 2020, 07:06:33 AM »
I know :lol I just listened to it again this morning

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1760 on: April 21, 2020, 11:19:59 AM »
Has anyone watched the latest TNMB dvd Live from The Great Adventure tour?  Mike Portnoy's performance is just stellar on that!  :metal

Still have to get that. Falling behind again.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1761 on: April 21, 2020, 12:02:19 PM »

That's a fine line, though.  I know for me, if I took a hard line on that, I would have missed out on the wonderful Neal Morse, and with that logic I would have liked The Winery Dogs much more than I actually do.   I think this is an important point, because I suspect that there's at least a degree to which Mike views these projects as a way to "open up" guys to a wider audience.  I think it fails though, because the logic that "so-and-so would be huge if only people heard them" is flawed from the get-go.

In my case, based on what I like, I don't think I've missed much. I don't know if it's a hard line or not. It just seems to work out that way for me.

As far as music goes I've almost always trusted his judgement with regard to the projects/bands he's involved with. (But I don't listen to  a lot of metal as much as most people around here so my field narrows considerably on that front.)

I knew who Neal Morse was years before (1995?) he did an album with Mike. (Same with Tony Levin, Billy Sheehan and Tony MacAlpine.)
Had no idea who Casey was though and I love his work with Flying Colors and I know the name Richie Kotzen but really wasn't a fan of the bands was involved with, but I do like him in Winery Dogs which inspired me to get one of his solo albums.

The exposure to a wider audience seems to work for me when the music isn't "metal-based."

Somewhat, related:
Not really a huge movie guy.  but in a very general sense I would agree with his taste in movies as well although there are exceptions.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1762 on: April 21, 2020, 12:05:20 PM »
Happy Birthday Mike! Thanks for all the musical pleasure you have given me over the years!

What he said!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1763 on: April 21, 2020, 05:46:30 PM »
Apparently Mike is working on something related to the Ramones now...

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1764 on: April 21, 2020, 05:47:12 PM »
Apparently Mike is working on something related to the Ramones now...

Released a couple of minutes ago

If you’re gotta be stuck at home in quarantine for a few months, there’s no better family and no better place than Camp Portnoy!
Enjoy this fun video courtesy of Mike, Marlene, Melody, Max, Mickey, Mini & Mittens Portnoy...
(And RIP Joey, Johnny, Dee Dee & Tommy...and thanks Marky, Richie & CJ Ramone) #GabbaGabbaStayAtHome
https://youtu.be/CvIJIRCypGE

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1765 on: April 21, 2020, 06:37:39 PM »
That was great!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1766 on: April 21, 2020, 07:20:20 PM »
 :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1767 on: April 21, 2020, 07:32:49 PM »
That was actually really cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1768 on: April 21, 2020, 09:37:10 PM »
I want to see Mike record an album of Punk covers like this :lol

Or do a serious of quarantine punk covers
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1769 on: April 22, 2020, 02:08:31 AM »
That was so fun.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: April 22, 2020, 03:21:43 AM »
Thank god he ran out of blue dye.

Fun video!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1771 on: April 22, 2020, 04:15:24 AM »
Okay, that was fun (although I hate punk music)... and since it's actually meant as a joke and not to be taken seriously, it's way better than that weird BDSM cover.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #1772 on: April 22, 2020, 06:00:13 AM »
We're all getting by, just selling Daddy's sticks!

:rollin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1773 on: April 22, 2020, 07:14:54 AM »
As critical as I was of the BPSTD whatever thing, I LOVED that. Fun, relevant...  I thought that was really neat. 

Anyone catch the photo at the end?  Was that a young Mike with the Ramones themselves?  That's pretty darn cool, if so!

(Also, anyone from the forum ever actually been in that library room?   I'm debating a "Blacklist-style" break in at some point.  Not to steal anything, but to just roam around for an hour until security gets there, then just dash across the back yard and hope I make it to safety!)

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #1774 on: April 22, 2020, 08:06:47 AM »
Anyone catch the photo at the end?  Was that a young Mike with the Ramones themselves?  That's pretty darn cool, if so!

From MP's Facebook:
I was the BIGGEST Ramones fan on earth back around ‘80/‘81 (Look at my jacket in this photo - which they all signed BTW)
Saw them play many times back then, but this was taken New Years Eve ‘81/‘82 where I was taken backstage and met them in their dressing room!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1775 on: April 22, 2020, 08:25:31 AM »
Wow that's pretty cool

We're all getting by, just selling Daddy's sticks!

:rollin

That gave me a good laugh too, it's nice to see people joke on themselves like that  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1776 on: April 22, 2020, 08:29:37 AM »

From MP's Facebook:
I was the BIGGEST Ramones fan on earth back around ‘80/‘81 (Look at my jacket in this photo - which they all signed BTW)
Saw them play many times back then, but this was taken New Years Eve ‘81/‘82 where I was taken backstage and met them in their dressing room!!

I had that exact same... hairstyle when I was that age ('82 was when I saw my first concert). 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1777 on: April 22, 2020, 08:43:06 AM »
Always loved seeing that photo. I bet he saved that jacket for Max and Melody to wear when they were that age.  :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1778 on: April 22, 2020, 09:28:58 AM »
That was actually really cool.

Copy that. Really fun thing to watch.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1779 on: April 22, 2020, 12:58:33 PM »
The only song on that list I like is Saturday Night Special (I'm a Skynyrd fan) but after that, I think I'll stick to the original.
I would not have taken you for a Skynyrd fan.

Will wonders never cease?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1780 on: April 22, 2020, 01:35:55 PM »
The only song on that list I like is Saturday Night Special (I'm a Skynyrd fan) but after that, I think I'll stick to the original.
I would not have taken you for a Skynyrd fan.

Will wonders never cease?

hah, my musicals tastes are more varied than people assume. You'll find on my Ipod everything from black metal to Enya, to Laday Gaga and Billie Eilish, to Skynyrd and some Bob Seeger, to Dream Theater, Frank Sinatra, Disney songs, Backstreet Boys. Etc.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1781 on: April 22, 2020, 02:35:37 PM »
I like most of that as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1782 on: April 22, 2020, 02:37:22 PM »
Probably the best thing he's done since leaving DT.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1783 on: April 24, 2020, 12:56:36 PM »
From his FACEBOOK:

Finishing up my drum tracks today for Neal Morse’s upcoming solo album...as I mentioned in previous posts, I used 3 kits on this album: my Bonzo kit for the big anthemic sections, my Ringo kit for the more subtle groove sections and finally my A7X EU kit (pictured here) for the proggier more difficult sections...
This album will bring the total of MP releases in 2020 currently now up to 7!!
1. Sons Of Apollo - MMXX (Out now!)
2. The Neal Morse Band - Live in Brno (Out now!)
3. BPMD - American Made (Out June 12th)
4. Flying Colors - Live in London (Info Coming soon)
5. Transatlantic - Studio album #5 (Info Coming soon)
6. Neal Morse - new solo album (Info Coming soon)
7. ??? One more cool album that will be announced very soon...
(No it’s not LTE3 or TWD3...)
I may not be able to tour in 2020, but nothing will slow me down!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1784 on: April 24, 2020, 12:58:30 PM »
Well, I guess if he's really just interested in a numbers game, then he's doing awesome!

And of those 7 things, I am interested in one of them. I guess possibly two, depending on what the last thing is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com