Author Topic: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version!  (Read 10874 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version!
« Reply #245 on: December 07, 2023, 05:55:31 PM »
19 lists so far, with a little over three weeks left to submit. I figured many would want time for revisits and whatnot, which is why I made the submissions period so long this time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #246 on: December 07, 2023, 06:18:05 PM »
I'm definitely sending one. I'm almost finished with it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: December 07, 2023, 07:07:38 PM »
I haven't even started.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: December 07, 2023, 09:02:50 PM »
I wrote down the list of DT songs I like, couldn't come up with a hundred of them and that was it. :lol I'll work on it in the upcoming weeks.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #249 on: December 07, 2023, 09:28:16 PM »

But it doesn't get "a raw deal."  There are just a lot of people who don't like it, while you DO like it.  That doesn't mean it gets a raw deal.

:lol

I mean, you're not wrong.
Don't be so sure.  I have been told that I am wrong no less than 3 times already this week.

Yeah, but we're not your wife.    :) :) :)
I wasn't counting her  :lol

Oh shit....
Keep in mind that I haven't actually BEEN wrong.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online geeeemo

« Reply #250 on: December 07, 2023, 11:07:33 PM »
I have been listening, and re-listening. It takes a bit of time..

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #251 on: December 08, 2023, 02:18:33 AM »
I guess I'm basically done, I'm just doing the last cross checks.

For songs around the 100th position, I tried to look at the songs from 101 onwards and ask myself "does it really saddens me and pains me that this song was eliminated?".... if the answer is not, bye bye songs who didn't make the cut.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: December 08, 2023, 02:30:00 AM »
I wrote down the list of DT songs I like, couldn't come up with a hundred of them and that was it. :lol I'll work on it in the upcoming weeks.

You signed up to the right bands forum mate?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #253 on: December 08, 2023, 06:43:37 AM »

But it doesn't get "a raw deal."  There are just a lot of people who don't like it, while you DO like it.  That doesn't mean it gets a raw deal.

:lol

I mean, you're not wrong.
Don't be so sure.  I have been told that I am wrong no less than 3 times already this week.

Yeah, but we're not your wife.    :) :) :)
I wasn't counting her  :lol

Oh shit....
Keep in mind that I haven't actually BEEN wrong.

I assumed that went without saying.  :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #254 on: December 08, 2023, 07:33:43 AM »
 :biggrin:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #255 on: December 08, 2023, 09:40:48 AM »
I haven't even started.

I'm definitely sending one. I'm almost finished with it.

I got my list and started with the ranking engine, but I forgot to save.  Fortunately, I hadn't gotten too far into it, but I haven't yet gone back.  I'll probably tackle it a bit this weekend.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: December 08, 2023, 10:19:39 AM »
It normally lets you resume where you left off if you were ranking at the time. No saving necessary.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #257 on: December 08, 2023, 10:28:11 AM »
It normally lets you resume where you left off if you were ranking at the time. No saving necessary.

I had to close the window and restart my computer.  It saved my list of songs, but not the rankings I had done to that point.  I had to pick up the pieces, move back to square one.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #258 on: December 08, 2023, 11:06:53 AM »
Life got in the way (just moved to a new apartment, among other things) and haven't been able to tackle this yet. Will still *try* to do it if I'm able to, but could some kind soul please share the link to the ranking engine with me? Too lazy right how to try to find it in the previous pages :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #259 on: December 08, 2023, 11:15:57 AM »
Life got in the way (just moved to a new apartment, among other things) and haven't been able to tackle this yet. Will still *try* to do it if I'm able to, but could some kind soul please share the link to the ranking engine with me? Too lazy right how to try to find it in the previous pages :lol

Just look in the OP
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #260 on: December 08, 2023, 12:12:10 PM »
I've got my top 40 pretty much solidified. 100-41 I'm gonna give another listen and any adjustments. Then I'm gonna give it a week or two, one more full run through before sending.

Offline Animal

« Reply #261 on: December 08, 2023, 12:58:54 PM »
I started compiling my list yesterday and I had an idea: this time, I was going to do it without the ranker, just ranking the songs off the top of my head. I thought that this way, the list would feel more authentic, like it was really my own list, not just something the ranker had spat out. Ranking he top 5 songs this way was a breeze and I was starting to think how all you people were doing it all wrong, just going through the ranker. The n. 6 was where the trouble began. Then...

The long story short, what a fool I was. I'll be definitely using the ranker.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #262 on: December 08, 2023, 01:25:51 PM »
I started compiling my list yesterday and I had an idea: this time, I was going to do it without the ranker, just ranking the songs off the top of my head. I thought that this way, the list would feel more authentic, like it was really my own list, not just something the ranker had spat out. Ranking he top 5 songs this way was a breeze and I was starting to think how all you people were doing it all wrong, just going through the ranker. The n. 6 was where the trouble began. Then...

Hahaha

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #263 on: December 08, 2023, 02:17:11 PM »
I've been revisiting this top 100 I've send a couple of times now and each time I'm thinking 'darn, this really is a good list'. Never used the ranking machine before but it surely helped me out a lot.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #264 on: December 08, 2023, 04:14:47 PM »

Just look in the OP

Thank you :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #265 on: December 08, 2023, 04:16:31 PM »

The ranker doesn't lie. Trust a computer  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Animal

« Reply #266 on: December 08, 2023, 10:34:19 PM »
The thing is, I did a list or two without the ranker and it went just fine. But these were Top 25-Top30 kind of lists, plus ranking favorite artists or songs by the band you are just a casual fan of seems much easier.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: December 09, 2023, 01:10:44 AM »

I had to close the window and restart my computer.  It saved my list of songs, but not the rankings I had done to that point.  I had to pick up the pieces, move back to square one.

Oh, no! Sorry about that. Mine survives reboots and weeks off, for some reason.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #268 on: December 10, 2023, 07:35:33 AM »
I'm just over 1/2 way through the first stab at my list, and man it's nice to revisit some of these songs.

I'll tell ya, my Top 25 has barely budged in the last 5 years though; after TA, I created a Top 25 playlist, and although I had The Bigger Picture and Our New World in at 24 and 25 respectively (just to have representation from every album), the way I currently ranked the rest of that Top 25 from 5 years ago had all but two of those same songs - some in a slightly different order, many of them in exactly the same spot.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: December 10, 2023, 09:18:03 AM »
I'll tell ya, my Top 25 has barely budged in the last 5 years though

I don't have my list from the last Top 100 but I believe there is very little movement in my Top 25 as well.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #270 on: December 10, 2023, 12:46:53 PM »
My top 25 is filled with four songs from the Mangini-era (3 songs from A Dramatic Turn and one from A View), but 80% is from 'the early days'. Although I didn't even was a fan back then.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #271 on: December 10, 2023, 05:45:41 PM »
I sent my list in this morning, I didn't participate last time, so this was my first formal DT ranking. I started with the full list of eligible songs and then sorted them into five tiers: Top, Great, Good, OK/Maybe, and those that definitely weren't making the cut. The top tier only had ten songs, so I was able to sort that myself. The bulk of the volume were in Great and Good, for each of those I subdivided into upper and lower groups and then fed those groups through the ranking engine. At the end of that I had a top 85 with 23 songs in the OK tier, so I ended up with a ranked top 108. I didn't review the list at all, I'm trusting the ranking engine. If I start to tinker with the output manually, well, that way lies obsession/madness.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #272 on: December 10, 2023, 05:54:00 PM »
Just an FYI that I am still the person to send your lists, but once the submissions period is over, I will hand this off to ReaperKK and he will run it. I have zero motivation at this point to invest any real time into this project, but I didn't want to totally abandon doing it since I know many are looking forward to it.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: December 12, 2023, 02:24:17 AM »
OK, my list is now sent. My Top 10 was pretty much what I expected it to be after one spin of the ranker thingie.

And now we wait (for sleep?)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #274 on: December 12, 2023, 04:37:54 AM »
Just an FYI that I am still the person to send your lists, but once the submissions period is over, I will hand this off to ReaperKK and he will run it. I have zero motivation at this point to invest any real time into this project, but I didn't want to totally abandon doing it since I know many are looking forward to it.
Everything alright? Hopefully you're not dealing with some serious private stuff, I know how much you enjoy doing countdowns like this.