Author Topic: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version!  (Read 10974 times)

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version!
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2023, 06:02:23 AM »
Mine have changed, but I also tried the ranker and my original rankings don't even come close....

And do you think the ranking machine delivered a more valuable list, or is the original version closer to the truth?
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2023, 11:06:48 AM »
I did the ranking agains, and aside from the top 4, the results kinda changed  :facepalm: :lol

Guess I'll compare them and then submit my final list.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2023, 12:03:47 PM »
*wrong thread
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2023, 12:19:32 PM »
Mine have changed, but I also tried the ranker and my original rankings don't even come close....

And do you think the ranking machine delivered a more valuable list, or is the original version closer to the truth?

Well, the ranker is more valuable because it's more closer to my tastes right now. My original list was more to my tastes back when I first made the list. I think it's neat just how much my tastes changed.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2023, 12:21:16 PM »

Well, the ranker is more valuable because it's more closer to my tastes right now. My original list was more to my tastes back when I first made the list. I think it's neat just how much my tastes changed.

How long ago did you make your list?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2023, 12:45:55 PM »

How long ago did you make your list?

The original was when we first did the top 100. The ranker one I did last night.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2023, 12:54:43 PM »
That was only a couple of years ago. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2023, 03:05:01 PM »
That was only a couple of years ago. :lol

I said back then that when I made that list it was what I was feeling at that moment. I enjoy a lot of DT songs that it's hard for me to actually make a definitive ranking.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2023, 04:23:44 PM »
OK, finally have some time to start hashing this out with the Ranking Engine.

Got some tough head-to-heads to start with, like Lord Nafaryus vs. Metropolis Pt.1  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2023, 05:19:16 AM »
I enjoy a lot of DT songs that it's hard for me to actually make a definitive ranking.

Totally the same here. It's so darn hard to rank those pieces and divide good from perfect. I made several sub-categories but they all ended up as being useless. What I do know is that the epics are what I love the most from Dream Theater. So I decided to rank those first and then sum up the other 93 songs to fit the list. But if we do this again in 2025, it could have several changes overall.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2023, 12:18:25 PM »
So, taken up by the moment I once did a ranking with ALL the songs, including the demos, the live jams, the NOMAC tracks and similar.

I trimmed "the fat", and got some results slightly different, even the top 10 was different from the 5th place downward.

Would it be too nerdy if I compare the two lists, cut out the songs that in both cases didn't make the top 100, and keep, say, 112-120 songs (some made the top 100 in one list but not in the other) and run the whole thing a THIRD time?  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2023, 01:16:38 PM »
Would it be too nerdy if I compare the two lists, cut out the songs that in both cases didn't make the top 100, and keep, say, 112-120 songs (some made the top 100 in one list but not in the other) and run the whole thing a THIRD time?  ;D
It would be FOR ME.  Of course, I wouldn't have done two lists.

You do what makes you happy.  Nerdy be damned.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2023, 01:18:00 PM »
The whole damn exercise is nerdy.  :lol

Online OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2023, 01:36:13 PM »
No Resurrection of Ernie? Denied!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2023, 01:56:56 PM »
The whole damn exercise is nerdy.  :lol

The guy has a point.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2023, 04:39:29 PM »
I think the term 'nerdy' is being kind too.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2023, 05:42:25 PM »
Has anyone else had trouble with the ranking engine lately? When I go to click to start a ranking, it does nothing. I’ve only used the mobile version.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2023, 06:53:46 AM »
It's been okay here.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2023, 02:23:22 PM »
I'm back at this again after taking a break for few days.

My method for this has been run everything through the ranker, then relisten to everything from the bottom up, adjusting as I go.

I'm up to the song I'd initially ranked at 70, and it's the really tough stage. I know all the songs I love, and all the songs I don't care for, it's all the ones in the damn middle I have trouble separating.

One thing I know this has taught me though...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2023, 02:30:47 PM »
A Dramatic Turn Of Events has some great songs.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2023, 02:55:28 PM »

It really has. In all the years it's been out I think I only ever listened to it as a full album. I think because of this I've never really judged each song on it's own merits. Not sure if all the songs are gonna make my list but there's a damn good chance.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2023, 03:44:05 PM »
I have been re-listening. I wanted to give a lot of time to I&W, Awake, and FII. I already knew I really enjoyed FII, but Awake I have not been so interested in as of late, and I&W not as much as others I listen to frequently.  I think that since I have only been following DT and into them for almost 8 years, that the older music hasn't had as much "play time".  The two records that came out since my start - the last 2 - I have listened to many, many times.  You know to digest, let them grow. But I hadn't given the same treatment to some of the older stuff. I kinda know what I like, and then stick with it. So, if so many DT songs are growers, I wanted to see how that panned out with these 3 to begin with.

I have listened to these three records at least 3 times in the last week or two. I think it will change my list from the last ranking. I also wanted to give special listens to the songs I thought I didn't like. (very few).

I can say I feel the same way as twosuitsluke about I&W as he does about ADToE (one of my faves). There are songs that I have now gotten hooked on - and want to hear more.

Honestly it's just going to make it harder. Not every song can be the best song!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2023, 06:13:31 PM »

It really has. In all the years it's been out I think I only ever listened to it as a full album. I think because of this I've never really judged each song on it's own merits. Not sure if all the songs are gonna make my list but there's a damn good chance.
ADToE has aged really well for me. Not sure where each song will fall yet, but there's a good chance some make it in my top 100.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2023, 06:59:15 PM »
List sent!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2023, 08:34:30 PM »
I can say I feel the same way as twosuitsluke about I&W as he does about ADToE (one of my faves). There are songs that I have now gotten hooked on - and want to hear more.

Honestly it's just going to make it harder. Not every song can be the best song!
That's the beauty of these countdowns - it really gives us the opportunity to re-evaluate their entire catalog and in the process rediscover (or discover in some cases) some gems that maybe we overlooked in the past. Have fun!   :)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2023, 12:18:58 AM »
Just submitted my list! Very funny to see how some favorites from around the time their albums came out didn't really survive in terms of being favorites. Also funny how the top spot has ALWAYS been my favorite, something I only became cognizant of in recent years. Such a fun exercise!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2023, 01:29:35 AM »
In the end I decided I will run the matches one third and last time.

I did it twice - once with everything, and the second time leaving out the "fat" like Raw Dog, the demos, the Nomacs, the live jams etc...

I will compare the two lists and I will cut off songs that in both lists didn't go past the top 120; a song that at least once arrived in the top 120 will be given a chance (I'm staying large 'cause some results varied, I got a song at 99 once and 120 or so the second time....).

And then I'll finally send my list  :D

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2023, 01:31:08 AM »
I have made a list of 100 songs, still have to run them through the ranker. Seems like a daunting task, but it will happen.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2023, 03:43:58 AM »
I'm back at this again after taking a break for few days.

My method for this has been run everything through the ranker, then relisten to everything from the bottom up, adjusting as I go.

I'm up to the song I'd initially ranked at 70, and it's the really tough stage. I know all the songs I love, and all the songs I don't care for, it's all the ones in the damn middle I have trouble separating.

In the end I decided I will run the matches one third and last time.

I did it twice - once with everything, and the second time leaving out the "fat" like Raw Dog, the demos, the Nomacs, the live jams etc...

I will compare the two lists and I will cut off songs that in both lists didn't go past the top 120; a song that at least once arrived in the top 120 will be given a chance (I'm staying large 'cause some results varied, I got a song at 99 once and 120 or so the second time....).

And then I'll finally send my list  :D

Damn, some of you lads really get into this.

I might just send my last list cause I don't think I could be fucked.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2023, 03:45:57 AM »
Meanwhile, I find myself liking a couple of tunes from DT12 more than I thought I did. Huh. Nice to go back and listen with an open mind.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2023, 04:09:45 AM »
Damn, some of you lads really get into this.

It's only because the system does the job all by itself.

I could never be able to do myself the list, sure I could come up with a top 10 but I don't know how people mantaining DIY top 100 lists can determine that a song ranks at 38 and another at 75.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: November 29, 2023, 04:58:26 AM »
I have run the songs through the ranking engine and have a 1 to 100 list.
Looking through it I like the top bit.
After a while it gets quite blurry.
I think I might just send the list as is.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #172 on: November 29, 2023, 09:55:39 AM »

That's really the best option, choice #2 is to go down a rabbit hole you never escape from and 3 years later everyone is wondering what happened to SwedishGoose.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #173 on: November 29, 2023, 09:57:58 AM »

I made a couple obvious adjustments to mine and just sent it in. The ranking engine was already such a huge time investment. No need to go crazy
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #174 on: November 29, 2023, 07:08:26 PM »

That's really the best option, choice #2 is to go down a rabbit hole you never escape from and 3 years later everyone is wondering what happened to SwedishGoose.
:lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid