Author Topic: RIP Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones)  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: RIP Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones)
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2021, 09:37:10 AM »
Why are you necessary ?

I was pointing out how people suddenly get god status after they pass.

Let's be crystal clear: Charlie Watts was at god status BEFORE he passed.   The myth is that he was simply "the drummer" for the Mick and Keith show, and that couldn't be further from the truth.  He designed several of the album covers, and was an integral part of the stage design for the latter day (say, late 80's to now) stage sets, and was - along with Keef - the engine of the musical side of the band.

I'm actually not in complete disagreement with you, but this is not that.  The "Mike Mangini 39th note, five-limb (including his cock) in pure independence" is not the only way to rate a drummer.   Keith got the writing credit, but there are a LOT of Stones songs that started with Charlie and Keith playing to each other in the rehearsal room.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2021, 10:45:38 AM »
Why are you necessary ?

Let's be crystal clear: Charlie Watts was at god status BEFORE he passed.   The myth is that he was simply "the drummer" for the Mick and Keith show, and that couldn't be further from the truth.  He designed several of the album covers, and was an integral part of the stage design for the latter day (say, late 80's to now) stage sets, and was - along with Keef - the engine of the musical side of the band.

I'm actually not in complete disagreement with you, but this is not that.  The "Mike Mangini 39th note, five-limb (including his cock) in pure independence" is not the only way to rate a drummer.   Keith got the writing credit, but there are a LOT of Stones songs that started with Charlie and Keith playing to each other in the rehearsal room.
That's probably much truer than you realize.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2021, 10:48:46 AM »
Why are you necessary ?

That's probably much truer than you realize.  :lol

:tup

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2021, 08:57:22 AM »
Here's a cool Q&A with Charlie by the NME: https://youtu.be/faOudlMlWIc

He had a great sense of humor. Sort of self-deprecating.

He briefly talks about punching Jagger.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 09:04:00 AM by Sebastián Pratesi »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2021, 04:58:10 PM »
So I've been watching some things on Charlie Watts on youtube, and then this video popped up in my feed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxlPRUll-U

It's a 1993 interview on Later With Bob Costas. Now, I used to love this show. I thought Bob Costas was excellent on this. Except this episode is guest hosted by Matt Lauer. Now especially knowing what we know about Lauer, it's easy to see how incredible douchey he comes off here. You can tell that even Charlie thinks so.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2021, 10:39:29 AM »
So I've been watching some things on Charlie Watts on youtube, and then this video popped up in my feed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxlPRUll-U

It's a 1993 interview on Later With Bob Costas. Now, I used to love this show. I thought Bob Costas was excellent on this. Except this episode is guest hosted by Matt Lauer. Now especially knowing what we know about Lauer, it's easy to see how incredible douchey he comes off here. You can tell that even Charlie thinks so.

Lauer just looks so smarmy with the hair and the suit.  Oh so '90's I guess, but he just looks, like you said, douchey. 

B y the way, Charlie; he's one of a handful of people who could say "Ringo is a wonderful, wonderful man, and I knew John a little... didn't know the other two, though".   Paul Friggin' McCartney is one of "the other two".   :) :) :)

EDIT:  "When Bill [Wyman] is being serious, he's a very amusing man."  Haha.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 10:58:43 AM by Stadler »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2021, 08:59:35 PM »
I know he is the bass player and all, and while I love their music (or much of it, anyway) I am by no means a Stones historian. But I do not recall ever seeing or hearing Bill Wyman speak.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2021, 09:02:15 PM »
I know he is the bass player and all, and while I love their music (or much of it, anyway) I am by no means a Stones historian. But I do not recall ever seeing or hearing Bill Wyman speak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KNU9JYxxt4

If I could go back to August 1st, 1985, I would in a heartbeat. I would relive that summer endlessly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol