Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 209179 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #2975 on: August 08, 2023, 08:52:08 PM »
I can get behind all of that. I do want Gunther to break the record, and then I would be totally good with the long reigns going away for a while.

Maybe they can use the injuries to say they have to relinquish one set of titles. Smackdown has very little with belts because of Roman, so it could give SD some juice. Raw is longer though, and has some great tag teams.

I think getting time with The Miz was a test run for them to push LA Knight to the top or at least much higher than where he is at.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2976 on: August 23, 2023, 03:08:13 PM »
Terry Funk has passed away at the age of 79.

One of the best to ever do it.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2977 on: August 23, 2023, 04:44:48 PM »
Terry Funk has passed away at the age of 79.

One of the best to ever do it.

RIP, a wrestlling legend that never truly got to the level he deserved.  I was/am a big Mick FOley fan and how much Mick talked and respected him made me feel the same way.

In other news, Hulk Hogan was on the Joe Rogan podcast.  I listened to most of it today, pretty good, but maybe not much new if you follow him (I don't).

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2978 on: August 23, 2023, 05:40:38 PM »
I think he got as big as he wanted to be. Was NWA world champion before the national expansion and then spent the rest of his career moving place to place as to not overstay his welcome. Whether it be WWE,AWA,WCW,ECW,AJPW,NJPW,ROH,FMW,PWG or random shows on the independents he was always somewhere.

Also every hogan interview always has at least something new because he's always making shit up. One of the biggest liars in wrestling history brother.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2979 on: August 23, 2023, 05:46:33 PM »
Also every hogan interview always has at least something new because he's always making shit up. One of the biggest liars in wrestling history brother.

I can't say I've followed him much in the last 15 years.  But I got the feeling that a lot of what he was talking about might be bs just by the way he was telling the stories.  Maybe not total BS, but fluff and likely from bad memory of getting hit in the head. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2980 on: August 24, 2023, 07:51:36 PM »
RIP Bray Wyatt. Crazy.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2981 on: August 24, 2023, 08:30:44 PM »
RIP Bray Wyatt. Crazy.

So fucking sad. He was so young and talented, and with a family. About to start one of my favorite matches from the first Wyatt Family run.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2982 on: August 25, 2023, 12:18:03 AM »
This just feels so wrong.  I read that Bray was recovering from a health issue maybe a few weeks ago and was looking forward to him being back maybe soon.

RIP Bray.  This feels kind of devastating and I'm just a fan.  I'm so sorry for his family and his friends.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2983 on: August 25, 2023, 05:11:36 PM »
I read that there was a September return planned. What a gut punch.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2984 on: August 25, 2023, 05:58:20 PM »
Yeah, he had been out for months and at first they were saying it was creative differences, and then it came out that it was a health issue tied to covid, and then just in the last week or so they were saying he was finally close to being cleared to return.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2985 on: October 12, 2023, 08:37:06 PM »
This looks interesting.  Can't wait until it comes to streaming.  I always was a big fan of Kerry Von Erich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KVsaoveTbw
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2986 on: October 13, 2023, 01:23:00 AM »
Yeah, the trailer does look like the story of the Von Erich family is going to be portrayed well.  I just wonder how they will go about the moments when things went really south for that family.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2987 on: October 13, 2023, 06:44:40 AM »
Can't say I was ever a real fan of any of them, but I remember when all this was going down.  Should be interesting subject matter for a film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2988 on: October 13, 2023, 06:47:18 AM »
Can't say I was ever a real fan of any of them, but I remember when all this was going down.  Should be interesting subject matter for a film.

The Last of the Von Erichs Dark Side of the Ring episode about them was heartbreaking.  What a snake-bitten family.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2989 on: October 13, 2023, 09:57:08 AM »
Apparently Chavo Guerrero will play The Sheik in this film and was the wrestling consultant throughout the filming to ensure accuracy of the wrestling action and history I presume.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2990 on: October 14, 2023, 07:13:18 PM »
I only heard about them long after the fact.  I watched a couple youtube clips where the commentary referred to Kerry as the modern day warrior, and decided that I liked him just from that alone. :)  But his story, and the whole family's is pretty tragic.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2991 on: October 14, 2023, 09:18:11 PM »
I only remember Kerry as The Texas Tornado, and learned about their family history much later. That being said, I've seen a few documentaries about them, including that 'Dark Side of the Ring' one, and if that's the one I am thinking of, I don't know if any dramatization could be 1/10th as powerful as that video was.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2992 on: October 18, 2023, 06:38:20 AM »
I know it was considered a dive, but the Sportatorium seemed like such a cool place to watch wrestling

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2993 on: November 26, 2023, 07:06:41 AM »
Looks like it is clobberin' time in WWE again. CM Punk has returned after an absence of nearly a decade.  This might actually get me to tune in again.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2994 on: November 26, 2023, 07:37:29 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed the PLE last night. Randy coming back on the cash-in was glorious.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2995 on: November 26, 2023, 08:52:31 AM »
Looks like it is clobberin' time in WWE again. CM Punk has returned after an absence of nearly a decade.  This might actually get me to tune in again.

Me too. MP back on DT, CM Punk back in WWE, I feel a decade younger.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2996 on: November 27, 2023, 02:40:46 PM »
I'm kinda indifferent about CM Punk.  I would have preferred to keep Edge rather than re-sign CM Punk.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2997 on: November 27, 2023, 02:56:55 PM »
You know what, I haven't watched Monday Night Raw in over 20 years, but this buzz has done it's job, I may actually watch it!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2998 on: November 27, 2023, 05:59:25 PM »
You know what, I haven't watched Monday Night Raw in over 20 years, but this buzz has done it's job, I may actually watch it!

I was here last year, went 20+ years without watching. It's very fun right now!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2999 on: November 27, 2023, 09:15:43 PM »
Say what you want about CM Punk, but his ability to captivate an audience, whether they love him or hate him, is up there with the best of the best all-time when it comes to the wrestling industry.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3000 on: November 28, 2023, 04:35:08 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed the PLE last night. Randy coming back on the cash-in was glorious.
thought that was a great moment as well, but Priest could have still capitalized. Even if Orton was running his fastest, he wouldn't have been able to break up the pin

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #3001 on: November 28, 2023, 05:29:07 AM »
Say what you want about CM Punk, but his ability to captivate an audience, whether they love him or hate him, is up there with the best of the best all-time when it comes to the wrestling industry.

I vehemently agree. He's also a huge draw both as face and heel and - like Bret and Lawler before him - he's the only one who can guarantee a perpetual sellout in a specific city, no matter what.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3002 on: December 01, 2023, 03:03:56 AM »
Punk's AEW run was pretty bad, even taking aside the backstage issues.  His in-ring work was rusty, with two injuries killing any momentum he was getting,  it wasn't all bad his promo work was still mostly great (his stuff with MJF was some of the best in recent times).

Anyone see the Hangman Page vs Swerve Strickland match at the recent AEW PvP?  That was a stone cold classic.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3003 on: December 01, 2023, 06:03:02 AM »
I haven’t been into wrestling for about 25 years or so but occasionally peek in to see what’s going on, but it seems to me the idea of CM Punk > the actuality of CM Punk.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3004 on: December 01, 2023, 06:24:58 AM »
I haven’t been into wrestling for about 25 years or so but occasionally peek in to see what’s going on, but it seems to me the idea of CM Punk > the actuality of CM Punk.

Just like Dream Theater!   :biggrin:

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #3005 on: December 01, 2023, 06:32:51 AM »
Punk's AEW run was pretty bad, even taking aside the backstage issues.  His in-ring work was rusty, with two injuries killing any momentum he was getting,  it wasn't all bad his promo work was still mostly great (his stuff with MJF was some of the best in recent times).

Anyone see the Hangman Page vs Swerve Strickland match at the recent AEW PvP?  That was a stone cold classic.

In my opinion, backstage amenities aside,  AEW made the mistake (or maybe just needed) to use Punk as a regular schedule wrestler, always on. He was too old and rusty for that, and he's the kind of character you can easily tire of when seen constantly. Let's hope HHH understands CM Punk should be used strictly as "attraction wrestler", bulding long stories only via mic and letting him fight only on the big events. What if it was the plan all along? To use AEW to shed rust and get the ball rolling, then forcing the inexperienced fanboy owner's hand for a termination, and come back home to finally fullfill the dream of headlining a WrestleMania?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3006 on: December 01, 2023, 07:12:29 AM »

I can see thinking that if you are really seeing him for the first time now, but I got back into watching a bit in 2009 (thanks to Randy Orton), and Punk's run from 2009 through his exit in early 2014 was awesome.  He was more often than not involved in the best angle/storyline.  When it comes to the best talkers in the history of the business, there are the obvious ones like Austin, Flair, Hogan, Piper and Rock, but Punk is right there with all of them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3007 on: December 01, 2023, 10:04:22 AM »
As if we needed more proof that Ric Flair is a shitbag of a human being:

https://www.sescoops.com/news/ric-flair-heat-aew-promo-legends-react

Long story short:

He invited any woman from ages 18 to 28 back to his hotel, and said no husbands or boyfriends allowed. Flair is 74.

He got all defensive and played the victim asking, "Why can't people leave me alone?" when he received criticism for being a creepy old man.

And then legends like Chris Jericho and Steve Austin had his back.

The entire wrestling industry really is just loaded with shitbags.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3008 on: December 01, 2023, 11:43:18 AM »
Why is he a creep for wanting to be with women 18-28?  That seems perfectly logical to me.

He didn't invite minors, after all.  Nothing illegal or negative about it.

I don't have a problem with it.    *shrugs*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3009 on: December 02, 2023, 08:38:19 AM »
I think stuff like that is probably just better left in the past.  Presumably he was just being in character anyway as he's done several interviews mentioning his current wife, etc.  But that kind of thing is kind of icky, in character or genuine.