Author Topic: Katatonia Discography Discussion: Sky Void of Stars (2023)  (Read 22869 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Katatonia Discography Discussion: Last Fair Deal Gone Down (2001)
« Reply #245 on: December 11, 2022, 05:50:36 PM »
The video is unavailabe.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #246 on: December 11, 2022, 06:00:32 PM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #247 on: December 11, 2022, 06:05:03 PM »
Should be fixed now.  Honestly you should ignore my posts for the first 5-10 minutes after they come out.  :p  The longer they are, the more likely I'm already trying to fix whatever broke.  The "preview" function never comes out like the final formatting looks, so I always have to tweak things.  I'm particularly annoyed that it doesn't respond to the "tab" key so I can make lists more uniform (six tracklists this time).  I don't know if that's a known bug, or if I need to keep experimenting with solutions. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Katatonia Discography Discussion: Viva Emptiness (2003)
« Reply #248 on: December 11, 2022, 10:37:42 PM »
Very important to note that Viva got completely remixed and remastered by David Castillo for a 2013 release. I find it superior to the original mix by far. Picked up the 2013 edition on CD and vinyl.

This is the start of what I call Modern Katatonia. It's all good from here on out for me. Ghost Of The Sun is such a great track to kick off this era. A favorite of mine and even better that I got to see it performed live. Inside the City of Glass is instrumental on the original and has lyrics on the 2013 edition.

Artwork for the 2013 edition features the same girl from the original cover but grown up. Pretty cool.

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Lethean

« Reply #249 on: December 11, 2022, 10:48:00 PM »
Luke, while we're waiting for Litho to take his sweet time posting about Viva Emptiness, tell us your thoughts on Last Fair Deal Gone Down. :)

I saw Katatonia last night, and I'm still emotional and excited about it.  They were amazing on this tour.

Just finishing up my second listen. As you all know, I'm not actually very good at putting into words why I like something, or what it is I like. I do prefer Last Fair Deal Gone Down more than the previous album. I think I posted after my first listen that it feels more like a band hitting their stride, for this style of music. Yes, the drumming is better and I prefer the vocals as well.

I didn't know that, but I relate because the bolded absolutely applies to me as well.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #250 on: December 11, 2022, 11:23:05 PM »
I'll have much more to say soon, but for now:

Viva Emptiness is the start of a six album run of absolute perfection as far as I'm concerned.  I love every song.  I think Last Fair Deal Gone Down is a great album, but Viva Emptiness is (to me) on another level.

Jonas sounds awesome.  This is the Jonas Renkse that is my favorite singer.   I think he continued to improve even beyond this album, but I love his voice here.  Not just his voice, but his phrasing and his melodies.

Daniel Liljekvist is great on this album. 

I also wanted to mention that Jonas has created a lot of the drum parts during their career. I don't know exactly what songs, or how many it would have been for Viva Emptiness, but I've read about it more than a few times.  Daniel said something to the effect that "Jonas is a great drummer in his head" in an interview but I can't find it anywhere now. I did find a couple with Anders, this from 2006:

Now that you’re not doing drums on the albums do you still play a part in the arrangement of the drums or writing any of the parts when writing the new albums?

Jonas: When I’m doing music I usually make a rhythm to it so I have my ideas but I give Daniel free hands, because he’s a much better drummer than me so it’s very much up to him.  I still love drumming so I have an interest in it.

Anders:  Jonas is actually obsessive with the drums.  He is, really.  He’s being a little considerate and shy right now but if you listen to the demos, they’re programmed like insane, down to the detail level.

And another from 2009:

MM: Hmm. I read also an interview where you were talking about that songwriting process and mentioned that Jonas is also a drummer.

Anders: Oh, yeah. He started as the drummer in the band—that's all he did, in the beginning.

MM: And also that he composes many of the percussion parts for the band.

Anders: He does.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #251 on: December 11, 2022, 11:39:06 PM »
Lethean's lyrics post:

Ok so, lyrics.  I feel like I’m going overboard but also leaving a lot out. :)  A Premonition and Omerta are both awesome but I think it’s more of a “just read the whole thing while listening” type of deal.  A lot of these songs are… like every day feelings/emotions told through a story.  And I think you best get the feel for the story and the underlying theme by experiencing the whole thing.  Having said that… here are some of my favorites. :)

Ghost of the Sun
The thin darkness here
Not strong enough to make you appear
I once changed my style
When they said hello I said goodbye
I once played a role
I was out there marketing my soul

The city of glass that I live in
The coldness from my brother's skin

Truth is I have seen it come
Seen the ghost of the sun
Can't have it undone.
In time we all call out for relief
See two lovers meet
Pass you on the street

Sleeper
Sleeper's song will you listen to me sing
The bird is here I can see the edge of his wing
If you die now how can I then live on
Don't give up you must live on

Criminals
The way the light hits the road
The way I am unable to protect you
Oh I'm running away
I will never forgive myself
For running away from you

The way my eyes cannot move
The way I hope to be protected
And for one moment I thought
That I was lost among the lights of houses

My dreams, dreams of violence
See them coming true

Will I Arrive
Who brought me here this place is familiar
Where houses are black under the sun
Strangers pass on streets with strange names
All I can think is how soon they have come

Defy only
If you have a way to resist the lies
Decline only
If you have the intention of taking this advice
Apply only
If you're not afraid to see your spirit die
Retreat only
If you dare not hear yourself say goodbye

Burn the Remembrance
Yeah, it’s the whole song

Old light and new colours
Your picture hangs in the night
Is this the right time to set one free and go away
In the emptiness behind you I will walk about
Surely you'll miss me but long live the doubt

What will replace us
What will be our memory of this time
Second hand impressions
Hand them over so we can let it die

I remember one time when we were abroad
I was laughing at a book I had bought
But you were standing against the hotel wall
Frozen in an unknown thought

Walking by a Wire
I could not breathe against the wall
The clash of light against the floor
They held me up against the wall
Too young to be ignored

Early morning's coming
The risk that I am taking
Recall a song that I heard as a child
No more false immunity
Inside the blistering cold

My youth unknown to me
I'm walking by a wire
What's left for me to breathe
Cold smell of fire
One day I will be free
I was born to be no one
My youth unknown to me
I walked behind the sun

Emptiness within me
Exit signs within me
The one you're looking for is not here
:)

Complicity
I have no name my face a blur
I speak only to answer them
White noise becomes a voice
I hear it constantly

I dare not break the circuit
I rest only for a short time
This time I promise I won't give up

My vision now is incomplete
I am affected by the warmth
A change of tone unusual sound
Is this the time to decline

They control the circuit
The embodiment of what I've done
If I waver from this circle
A second pass and then I'm found
But he who walks behind me
He once saw the morning sun

Evidence
We're going in, my voice is thin
When I tell you to remember
That no one will find you
My promise from the heart
If we part my pulse will guide you through
[This is one of my favorite lines and has been since I heard it]

Wait Outside
I burn the bridges behind me
Can't tell you the truth so I lie
I'm waving at someone behind you
I filter my eyes when I look to the sky

Inside the City of Glass
Under lights that never go out
We drive
And focus on the change
You become my face as I replace it
With the mirrors and the glass
And the houses that we pass

We drive all night
You've come a long way to find
Emptiness
We hear it all night
See it flicker overhead
So void of life

In due time all of this will pass
In a sudden storm
When you take my hand

Offline The Realm

« Reply #252 on: December 12, 2022, 12:52:32 AM »
Viva Emptiness! What an album! Just awesome. I was totally obsessed with this album upon release, just loved it then and still do. Totally agree with Lethean that this is where Jonas really arrived as a vocalist. From now on there are only small improvements in his vocals but the jump from the last album to this one is huge. All the musicianship, melodies, arrangements, and especially the drumming is also just on another level to what has come before.

I do love all the songs but Evidence is definitely my favourite. Just a magical track both lyrically and melodically.

There is so much I could say about this album.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #253 on: December 12, 2022, 11:17:24 AM »
Very important to note that Viva got completely remixed and remastered by David Castillo for a 2013 release. I find it superior to the original mix by far. Picked up the 2013 edition on CD and vinyl.

This is the start of what I call Modern Katatonia. It's all good from here on out for me. Ghost Of The Sun is such a great track to kick off this era. A favorite of mine and even better that I got to see it performed live. Inside the City of Glass is instrumental on the original and has lyrics on the 2013 edition.

Artwork for the 2013 edition features the same girl from the original cover but grown up. Pretty cool.

Man, I guess you can't win.  Earlier I get scolded for leaping ahead and suggesting TAC listen to one of their recent songs that has more of a Judas Priest vibe.  Now someone else jumps ahead a decade to talk about a rerecording that relies on three additional albums of development, and I did already hint in the VE post that they would do something with the mixes later on.  :)  I think I'd rather wait and discuss all the differences when we get to that point, unless everyone else is too antsy. 

Online billboy73

« Reply #254 on: December 12, 2022, 11:56:54 AM »
Regardless, we all eagerly await TAC's thoughts on this album, it's why we're here. :D  Seriously though, I have enjoyed reading TAC's song by song posts so far.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #255 on: December 12, 2022, 11:59:51 AM »
Hah! Thanks! ;D

So just so I'm clear, Viva Emptiness is the new album correct? I don't think I can commit to the compilations though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #256 on: December 12, 2022, 12:06:44 PM »
A few thoughts on Viva Emptiness...

First off, absolutely fantastic record. It's my second favorite of theirs, just behind Last Fair... At times, I do think it's objectively (ha!) superior to LFDGD, you know, more fully formed, better arrangements and all...but I think I have a little more of a connection with the previous album. It doesn't truly matter, since they are both great  ;)

Anyway, as noted by Litho, this is the first album where some slightly more "modern" influences, especially in the guitar tone and riffs, start creeping in. The production is certainly a little different/weird...at the time I didn't think much of it, but it makes sense they were not fully satisfied with it.

Obviously I don't want to get ahead of anything, but to me the next album really is when the Tool-esque influence is fully embraced...here there's still a ton of that dark/sad sound that pervaded most of LFDGD. It's just dressed a bit differently, and there's way more variety both in songwriting and arrangements. "Wealth" is definitely the song that sounds the most aggressive/modern in the riffing (especially the opening). But even that one has that Katatonia stamp all over it (the verse is SO good, with that lead guitar theme). Walking By a Wire has some pretty chunky guitar riffs too.

SO many good songs in here. My favorite might well be Evidence. Again, not a particularly controversial choice, as that seems to be a fan favorite (in the same way Teargas is) that always gets played live. But it just is such a quintessential Katatonia song, with that finale that's grandiose, urgent and melancholic at the same time (kind of like Tonight's Music was), reprising the main guitar theme that first shows up, subtly, in the verses. Ghost of the Sun is fantastic too - I remember when I first listened to this, I was relatively surprised how aggressive/heavy certain sections were...especially with the harsh background vocals and the generous servings of double bass. But there's such cool variations within the song too. Criminals is another big one for me: the subtle orchestrations and guitar lead that pop up in the verses are sublime, and remind me of some of the best things of mid-career Paradise Lost.

Yes, Inside the City of Glass absolutely brings back some of the doom  :) And the second half always reminded me of the closing track on Paradise Lost's Icon (Deus Misereatur)...with the guitar doing what the piano was doing on the PL song...

And I agree on some of the stuff that Katatonia had never tried before...Burn the Remembrance (the percussions are so cool...and the way the clean guitars mesh with the heavy...delicious), One Year From Now and Omerta, especially.

Could really mention them all. It seems to me they were firing on all cylinders from a songwriting standpoint. And as for Jonas' vocals: it's true that he will further improve and refine his approach in subsequent albums. But, for me, here it's where he really hits the sweet spot in terms of vocal melodies - some of his very best ones are on Viva Emptiness, imo.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #257 on: December 12, 2022, 12:17:16 PM »
Hah! Thanks! ;D

So just so I'm clear, Viva Emptiness is the new album correct? I don't think I can commit to the compilations though.

Yep, Viva Emptiness is the latest addition...

...and the compilations are just, well, compilations  :) There are a few B-sides included, most of which were discussed before anyway (minus Wait Outside, I believe...which, as Litho said, was from the Viva Emptiness sessions and you can check out if you listen to the album re-issue. I believe that's what streaming services have anyway, although I'm not 100% sure)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #258 on: December 12, 2022, 02:03:48 PM »
Phew, a lot to catch up on here. I've got Viva Emptiness queued up to listen to tomorrow so will give an impression once I've given a listen.

I appreciate the work going into this thread guys and it really does help give a better understanding and appreciation of the band. They may not end up becoming one of my favorite bands but I can see myself revisiting their music fairly regularly.

Luke, while we're waiting for Litho to take his sweet time posting about Viva Emptiness, tell us your thoughts on Last Fair Deal Gone Down. :)

I saw Katatonia last night, and I'm still emotional and excited about it.  They were amazing on this tour.

Just finishing up my second listen. As you all know, I'm not actually very good at putting into words why I like something, or what it is I like. I do prefer Last Fair Deal Gone Down more than the previous album. I think I posted after my first listen that it feels more like a band hitting their stride, for this style of music. Yes, the drumming is better and I prefer the vocals as well.

I didn't know that, but I relate because the bolded absolutely applies to me as well.

Yea, I said 'as you all know', but I guess I meant 'if you've participated in my roulettes you'll know'. I can read the way some of you guys put into words why you like certain bands/albums/songs, and I'm here like...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #259 on: December 12, 2022, 04:01:25 PM »
@Lethean, can you clear some space in your inbox?  I want to run an idea by you via PM.  :)

Killer post from Nick.  You know it's a good one when I've heard the album dozens and dozens of times, maybe over 100, including another half a dozen within a week while I chipped away at the post, and yet now after reading Nick's I feel like I need to listen to half the songs again and double check all those little details.   :tup

It's still so fascinating trying to get back into my headspace when this was all newer to me.  The nuances have faded, but it's hard to imagine me having MP3s for "Murder", "Tonight's Music", "Clean Today", "Ghost of the Sun", and putting together how those all came from the same band.  And we're only halfway through!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #260 on: December 12, 2022, 04:29:31 PM »

Man, I guess you can't win.  Earlier I get scolded for leaping ahead and suggesting TAC listen to one of their recent songs that has more of a Judas Priest vibe.  Now someone else jumps ahead a decade to talk about a rerecording that relies on three additional albums of development, and I did already hint in the VE post that they would do something with the mixes later on.  :)  I think I'd rather wait and discuss all the differences when we get to that point, unless everyone else is too antsy.

I would say TAC and Luke should listen to Wait Outside now since it was an unreleased track from the Viva Emptiness sessions.  The full version (with vocals) of Inside the City of Glass... I dunno, I'd say now also.  I the vocals weren't added until years later, but they intended to have vocals at the time and just ran out of time.  And it just makes sense to me to listen to it with the rest of the album.

Confession - I don't think I've ever paid attention to the differences in the mix.  I have the original versions in my iTunes and just added Wait Outside and the full Inside the City of Glass as tracks 14 and 15.  I did listen to the cd, but maybe only a couple times.  I should listen to some tracks back to back this week.

@Lethean, can you clear some space in your inbox?  I want to run an idea by you via PM.  :)

Done :)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #261 on: December 12, 2022, 05:03:20 PM »

Killer post from Nick.  You know it's a good one when I've heard the album dozens and dozens of times, maybe over 100, including another half a dozen within a week while I chipped away at the post, and yet now after reading Nick's I feel like I need to listen to half the songs again and double check all those little details.   :tup

:tup Feel the same with your posts and Lethean's. That's why I love these deep dives...it's a great chance to revisit some favorites. Precisely because they are favorites, many of the albums feel like they are "familiar", and one might feel there's no need to go back to them often. But when we do, man, it feels so good  :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #262 on: December 12, 2022, 05:08:56 PM »
Phew, a lot to catch up on here. I've got Viva Emptiness queued up to listen to tomorrow so will give an impression once I've given a listen.

I appreciate the work going into this thread guys and it really does help give a better understanding and appreciation of the band. They may not end up becoming one of my favorite bands but I can see myself revisiting their music fairly regularly.

Yea, I said 'as you all know', but I guess I meant 'if you've participated in my roulettes you'll know'. I can read the way some of you guys put into words why you like certain bands/albums/songs, and I'm here like...

This is totally me.  My writeups in my roulette were considerably shorter than most of the others I've read.   I hope I made up for it and the roulette was fun for the participants, but I'm not so analytical when it comes to music.  I can (and do) try to be descriptive, but it's all about how a song makes me feel.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #263 on: December 13, 2022, 01:23:55 PM »
Now that I had time, more detailed thoughts.  I do a lot of listening while walking on trails and stuff and got into a lot of this album that way.  I also got into this (and a few other of their albums) more song by song instead of the whole album at once like I would usually do.  I got too many albums too close together and my listening wound up being more scattered.

Litho mentioned Anders' frustration with the business side of things. Anders talked about having to "beg and nag" Peaceville for just about anything, and finally asked them to just release them from the label (which didn't happen).  He also said he was doing pretty much everything, even booking travel and getting endorsement deals for all the band members, and didn't like that sometimes he had to be an asshole.

When he wanted to quit and Jonas convinced him to give it another chance, Jonas was happy he stood up for it because he said he is not really the kind of person to push others and try to make them think positively, but found that he could for Katatonia.

In 2005 they played a festival in Greece where Dio also performed and there was a birthday party for Dio backstage.  They were too afraid to approach him except for Daniel, who got to talk to him and get a picture.

For the song writing, even though the liner notes say all songs by Nyström/Renkse (except A Premonition which is Norrman/Nyström/Renkse), they've said in interviews that they've never written by jamming or creating songs on the fly and always brought songs in.  There's a translation of a Finnish article on the ultimate metal forum where Jonas talks about the songs and he mentions some specific writers:
Anders - Ghost of the Sun, One Year from Now, and Inside the City of Glass (I think also Sleeper since Jonas talks about hearing the song so it wasn't him)
Jonas - Criminals, Evidence, Omerta

Thoughts on the songs;

Ghost of the Sun - I love the music behind/right before "the thin darkness here." And how it changes for "the city of glass…"  And how the chorus increases in intensity.

Sleeper - initially I didn't really care for this one and now I can't at all remember why.  I do remember being on a trail - a paved part this time - and getting chills; right around 2:20 ish I remember starting to think "wait" and then around 2:40 this anticipation, because I knew the song pretty well even though I thought I didn't care for it much, and then the chills when the vocals come in.  This sense of wonder.  And this song and I have had a new relationship ever since. :)

Criminals - I was intrigued by this song and the way it opens right away.  I was a little taken aback by "he went too far the fucker, it's not like I owe him money." I found it slightly odd and almost humorous, but "this is different" makes it not humorous after all.  The way the music and lyrics work together pull me into some kind of story.  It's not necessarily the same every time, but similar.  I'm a character in this story but not specifically enough to know exactly how.  Also the drumming is super cool.  And the eerie guitars.  I listened to this one (and Ghost of the Sun) a lot on an unpaved trail.  Not that the specifics of trails are important here, but it's just how my memories are connected.

A Premonition - see the above about a story.  This song is amazing.  It's so intense with the emotions; repetitive music that builds and Jonas' vocals are emotional and desperate. 

Will I Arrive - very similar to Sleeper in that I didn't realize its greatness at first.  I don't think I disliked it, I just didn't think about it much one way or another.  This is where Jonas' vocals (and melodies and inflections) are kind of the bridge to bring me into the song.  He wasn't my favorite singer yet, or at least I wasn't thinking along those lines.  But something about his vocals during the "defy only…" just… I don't know.  I like the way it sounds. It makes me want to listen to it again and again and then that leads to the rest of the song.

Burn the Remembrance - this is a "wow" song for me.  I put it on a playlist because I knew they'd be playing it live and at first I thought it was pretty good.  Then really good.  Then awesome. :) From around 3 minutes to the end is magic.

Wealth - I love the way Katatonia can shift between heavy and light.  I think the heavy opening and chorus makes the verses better and vice versa.  Jonas' vocals during the verses are really fantastic.  And then the heavy part with the harsh vocal going into "my lips are dry" is so so good.

One Year from Now - My least favorite track at first and I think I kind of know why even though I don't know how to explain it.  It's not that it's slow, it's not that it's not heavy… just wasn't my kind of song maybe.  Now I don't think I have a least favorite; every song is too good.  There's a live version of this that I think helped me get into the original more, and now it feels different.

Walking by a Wire - I was in the car when this one clicked for me.  I love what the guitar is doing at the beginning.  Then it gets heavier, then his voice gets a little more urgent.  I love this song.

Complicity - and I love this song too.  Sometimes it's my favorite from the album.  This one went under my radar for a while but similar to Sleeper, I had a "wait…" moment.  "Everything about this song is awesome, I think I'll listen to it again." And again the vocals really draw me in and again the lyrics engage my imagination.

Evidence - most of the time I think this is my favorite song from the album.  Everything about this song is awesome too.  The lyrics (with the line I highlighted - my pulse will guide you through - being one of my favorites).  Another song that engages my imagination and I'm in it somehow. The guitars are awesome, vocals, everything.  See Nick's comments about the ending.  It's so so good.  I've gotten chills hearing this so many times, and there's a live version that I love too.  And I've heard it live in person and often have this feeling of awe.

Omerta - this is just a great great song.  Vocals, lyrics, the way the song just ends, the unexpected guitar part; and it was amazing when I saw it live.

Inside the City of Glass - I guess I like the full version with vocals better because I really love the lyrics, but it's great as an instrumental too.  I like the whispering and how atmospheric it is.

Wait Outside - this should never have been left off of the album. But then what should it have replaced? Nothing…. :)  More great lyrics and vocal melodies, and the ending is really cool.  And they pull it off live too; they might not all be great at backing vocals but they get the job done and it works really well for this song.

Online billboy73

« Reply #264 on: December 14, 2022, 03:11:50 PM »
Throwing my thoughts out on Viva Emptiness.  I know this one really well, but I wanted to make sure I listen to every album again before I comment throughout this process.  Most days, this is my favorite Katatonia record.  I am commenting on the remaster, as it came out right about the time that I really started to get into Katatonia.  I enjoy the return of some growled vocals and more metallic styled riffing in spots.  The keyboards add lots of great texture, and add to the melancholy in many places.  The production on the remaster is great, as are the rest of their albums going forward.  People have mentioned this is where Jonas really comes into his own as a vocalist, and I definitely agree.  Everything here is top notch, not a weak track in my book, and that is why I would put this at the top.  I think Evidence is probably my favorite overall, but it is tough to pick an outright favorite.  Inside the City of Glass (remaster) is such a great closer, Ghost of the Sun was the obvious choice to open the album with a bang.  Omerta is a sweet little song.  I could go on and on about each song, but I will just say that this album from start to finish is a 10/10. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #265 on: December 15, 2022, 09:19:36 AM »
Timing question for the group.  Litho will probably post the next album around the 18th.   Do you me to wait longer than a week to post the one after?  Either way I'm not posting it on Christmas day, but do you want me to post it right after, or do you want more time to be able to listen to Litho's in case you're busy with relatives/shopping/cooking/etc?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #266 on: December 15, 2022, 01:59:05 PM »
Viva was the real first Katatonia that hit the spot and really clicked with me.
The original is great, but the remix really brings it to life, and it's still my fave from the band.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #267 on: December 15, 2022, 02:22:52 PM »
Ok I'm listening to the original now and will listen to the remastered version right after.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #268 on: December 15, 2022, 03:06:36 PM »
Timing question for the group.  Litho will probably post the next album around the 18th.   Do you me to wait longer than a week to post the one after?  Either way I'm not posting it on Christmas day, but do you want me to post it right after, or do you want more time to be able to listen to Litho's in case you're busy with relatives/shopping/cooking/etc?

Fine for me either way, but it might not be a bad idea to wait a little longer…

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #269 on: December 15, 2022, 03:43:40 PM »
I might not get TGCD up until the 19th or 20th anyway.  My roulette and this discography discussion is a lot of listening and writing at once.  I'm glad Lethean will be taking over the rest from here out I believe.  :) 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #270 on: December 17, 2022, 10:51:41 AM »
My album rankings so far:

1. Viva Emptiness
2. Last Fair Deal Gone Down
3. Tonight's Decision
4. Discouraged Ones
5. Dance of December Souls
6. Brave Murder Day

Nick will have Last Fair Deal Gone Down at the top I believe.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 08:57:27 AM by Lethean »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #271 on: December 17, 2022, 11:16:39 AM »
Yep, here is my updated "as-we-go-along" ranking:

1. Last Fair Deal Gone Down
2. Viva Emptiness
3. Brave Murder Day
4. Discouraged Ones
5. Tonight's Decision
6. Dance of December Souls

As I said before, LFDGD and Viva Emptiness could easily be 1a and 1b...I just have a somewhat stronger connection with the former, but I'm not even sure anymore. Quality-wise they are both SO strong for me...

Offline Lethean

« Reply #272 on: December 18, 2022, 09:14:07 AM »
Yep, here is my updated "as-we-go-along" ranking:

1. Last Fair Deal Gone Down
2. Viva Emptiness
3. Brave Murder Day
4. Discouraged Ones
5. Tonight's Decision
6. Dance of December Souls

As I said before, LFDGD and Viva Emptiness could easily be 1a and 1b...I just have a somewhat stronger connection with the former, but I'm not even sure anymore. Quality-wise they are both SO strong for me...
I'm like that with a few of their albums.  One where I have a really strong emotional connection to, but aside from that, any of them could be my favorite and I often think the one I'm listening to is.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #273 on: December 18, 2022, 09:19:38 AM »
You guys will have to  move on to the next one without me. Been a crazy few days. I'll catch up at some point..

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #274 on: December 18, 2022, 09:25:26 AM »
Man, and you were the person's opinions on VE and the next one I was most curious about... :corn

I do a lot of listening while walking on trails and stuff and got into a lot of this album that way.

I don't do that nearly as often as I'd like to, but it's a lot of fun when I do it. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #275 on: December 18, 2022, 10:05:27 AM »
I think Litho said he'll need a couple more days anyway.  You could always listen to a track or two at a time if you don't have time to listen to the whole album in one sitting.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #276 on: December 18, 2022, 10:38:49 AM »
It's up to him, but it might be better if he can get the full album experience in at once.  This thread isn't going anywhere in the next month anyway. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #277 on: December 18, 2022, 03:52:05 PM »
I should be able to get to this tomorrow. I have the day off with nothing to do. ;D

Offline Lethean

« Reply #278 on: December 18, 2022, 11:09:32 PM »
I should be able to get to this tomorrow. I have the day off with nothing to do. ;D

:metal I have a long drive tomorrow and I'll listen to it as well. 

I just have to keep in mind that I didn't think it was the best thing ever after my first listen, so I shouldn't expect the same from you. :)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #279 on: December 20, 2022, 07:37:45 AM »
*Side note - it's weird to analytically listen to Katatonia after a round of a roulette.  It's tricky to flip mindsets and engage in a whole different kind of listening, to something you've been playing regularly for well over a decade, compared to something you've never heard before.  Lethean (possibly semi-jokingly) mentioned that I should do writeups for these songs like roulette ones.  I'm not even sure I could, it's a whole different thought process when every track is a different artist, whereas here it's just various iterations of the same overall approach.  Anyway, enough about me, it's time for Katatonia!

My Twin EP

Recorded June-September 2005, released February 2006 on Peaceville Records. 

Tracklist:

1.  My Twin (single edit) -     3:44
2.  My Twin (opium dub) -     4:18
3.  Displaced -                      5:16
4.  Dissolving Bonds -            3:43

Total Track Time:  17:01

Lineup:

Jonas Renkse - vocals, guitars, keyboards, programming, songwriting, lyrics
Anders Nystrom - guitars, keyboards, programming, backing vocals, songwriting, lyrics
Daniel Liljekvist - drums, backing vocals
Fredrik Norrman - guitars
Mattias Norrman - bass

Peter Damin - percussion

Production - Jens Bogren, David Castillo, Anders Nystrom, Jonas Renkse
Mastering - Jens Bogren, David Castillo, Thomas Eberger
Engineering - Jens Bogren, David Castillo
Mixing - Jens Bogren, David Castillo
Remixing - Anders Eriksson, David Castillo

*I accidentally started typing "bonds" as "bongs".  After the "opium dub" parenthetical I guess my brain just went there. 

The Great Cold Distance

Recorded June-September 2005 at Fascination Street Studios, released March 2006 on Peaceville Records. 

Tracklist:

1.  Leaders -                             4:21
2.  Deliberation -                       4:00
3.  Soil's Song -                         4:12
4.  My Twin -                              3:41
5.  Consternation -                      3:51
6.  Follower -                               4:46
7.  Rusted -                                  4:21
8.  Increase -                                4:20
9.  July -                                       4:45
10.  In the White -                          4:54
11.  The Itch -                                 4:20
12.  Journey Through Pressure -        4:21

Total Track Time:  51:52

Lineup:

Jonas Renkse - vocals, guitars, keyboards, programming, lyrics, songwriting
Anders Nystrom - guitars, keyboards, programming, backing vocals, songwriting
Fredrik Norrman - guitars, songwriting
Mattias Norrman - bass

Andreas Akeberg - backing vocals
Peter Damin - additional drums, percussion
Jens Bogren - keyboards, samples, programming, effects
David Castillo - keyboards, programming, samples, effects

Production - Jens Bogren, David Castillo, Anders Nystrom, Jonas Renkse
Mastering - Jens Bogren, Thomas Edberger
Remixing - Jens Bogren

*This cross is legendary in Swedish metal lore for when Entombed had some photoshoots with it. 

*Now this is the sound of Katatonia, as far as I'm concerned.  Not my favorite of theirs (though almost assuredly second), but by far the album I'd be most comfortable recommending to someone into prog metal who hadn't checked them out yet.  I might go as far as saying if someone asked me what music should sound like, I might just hand them this album. 

*This was their smoothest recording session yet, with Jens cracking the whip in the studio. 

*They changed their logo artwork for the covers, but still used the previous one for other contexts, such as Daniel's drumhead and their stage backdrop. 

*The song arrangements have increased so much in complexity that Daniel wasn't sure at first whether he could even handle the new songs, and had to spend extra time rehearsing for the album.  Needless to say, Liljekvist has become a monster drummer by this album.  Some of the double bass parts and fills on this album, maybe Jonas could create in his head, but no way was he ever capable of playing them, which is why Daniel has become vital to them now. 

*Whereas Tool nods were somewhat subtle before, they're just all over the place now.  In most previous albums I can keep their rhythmic structures in my head pretty well, but here I've often felt totally lost, in the best possible way.  Their music now is so much more rhythmic and percussive, but still very melodic.  The lack of rhythmic variation is one thing that holds their earlier work back for me. 

*They're now settled into their definitive tuning.  Whereas LGDGD took the Eb standard tuning of DO and put some tracks in drop-Db, TGCD takes the C standard tuning of VE and puts some tracks in drop-Bb.  They've kept this template on every album since then.  Do I love Katatonia so much at least partially because those are two of my favorite keys, or are those two of my favorite keys because of Katatonia?  We'll just never know...

*The sound is just so massive, the drum production and guitar tones are leaps and bounds above everything before to my ears.  It was the largest budget they had for an album at least through the 2000s.  Supposedly the album was used as a reference in some hi-fi audio shops. 

*After years of lobbying Peaceville, their relationship with them was improving and they had their first music videos with "July", "My Twin", and "Deliberation", directed by Charlie Granberg.  Note in the "July" video Daniel's Daylight Dies shirt, who they toured with and whose drummer was their webmaster. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLEogbdozHc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH45PdkXF9I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXwFQKwHdbk

*I remember that the "My Twin" single leaked in the late fall of '05.  That semester my MP3 player had broken down, so I spent most of the semester with my portable discman listening to Nevermore's This Godless Endeavor and Opeth's Ghost Reveries.  But I got a new player in time to put "My Twin" on to make that my new soundtrack for walking around campus for a few days. 

*One of my favorite things about them is how they have the ability to vary the tempo so much on this album.  There are many faster sections, more here than any other album before or since.  And simultaneously, they still have doom riffs from time to time that effectively contrast those and hit even harder.  1:07 in "Increase" is a perfect example.  "Journey Through Pressure" is also fairly doomy.  I also like how they can juxtapose heavier chugging with sustained clean fingerpicked rhythms like at 3:36 of "July". 

*If you're still on the fence about Daniel's drumming, I challenge you to put on "In The White", listening only to his playing.  His ghost notes on the snare are just impossibly crisp throughout the whole album.  His recorded cymbals for the album were Paiste Rudes, which have a reputation among cymbal snobs as sounding poor.  Daniel must have heard that and said "hold my beer..."

*Some other Liljekvist highlights for me are all of his effects cymbal work with the Chinas and splashes, often in unexpected places.  I love the offbeat ride bell in the bridge of "Consternation", or the offbeat China around 3:10 in "Increase".  The Danny Carey-esque tom work in the verses of "July".  How the ride bell cuts around 2:10 of "July".  The fill at 3:09 of "Rusted".  Or the one at 3:29 of "The Itch".  Subtle details like occasionally hitting two splashes before certain downbeats, starting around 0:20 of "Leaders".  His ride and snare work in the first minute of "Journey Through Pressure".  Hitting the snare precisely and consistently like he does there takes a lot of finesse. 

*I love the riff at 2:57 in "Follower" with the hits alternating with the harmonic flurry.  I also like the swirling guitars like in the ending of "Increase".  Then there are those background tremolo-picked notes like at 2:25 of "Rusted".  It's like proto-blackgaze.  Nystrom, being into both black metal and shoegaze, was way ahead of Neige.  I like how they have separate arpeggios going on with different guitar tracks like at 1:58 of "Increase".  The flanger in the verse of "The Itch" creates a nice texture.  I love the melody for "In The White", or the background lines around 1:38, creating three separate interesting parts going at once. 

*I like the background synth ambiance in the middle of "Increase", or in the verses of "Leaders".  I also like the Mellotron at 3:20 of "Deliberation".

*My favorite bass line on the album has to be for "In The White".  It's especially powerful at 2:43 when the guitars drop out for a bit. 

*I think this album has the most harsh backing vocals, with some in "The Itch" and in "Leaders". 

*If I have to complain about anything, I do miss the percussion from the last album, and the piano. 

*I find it amusing that five of the songs are within a second of 4:20.  The multiple interpretations of that are fascinating.  They are very much headed towards a more progressive sound in terms of rhythmic complexity, but were still operating in pop songwriting structures.  And of course I have to imagine that the 420 is where the "opium dub" reference comes from. 

*They toured with Cradle of Filth, Apocalyptica, Moonspell, The Haunted, Daylight Dies, Novembre, Scar Symmetry, Insomnium, and Swallow The Sun for the various shows for this album. 

*Christian Alvestam of Scar Symmetry sang "Sweet Nurse" at the last gig on tour with them onstage. 

*Due to family committments, Daniel wasn't available for one of their gigs, so filling in was Robin Bergh from Amaran, who would later be in October Tide. 

Deliberation EP

Recorded May-August 2005 at, released May 2006 on Peaceville Records. 

Tracklist:

1.  Deliberation -                       3:59
2.  In the White (urban dub) -     5:30
3.  Code Against the Code -         3:34

Total Track Time:  13:03

Lineup:

Fredrik Norrman - guitars, songwriting
Mattias Norrman - bass

Production - Jens Bogren, David Castillo, Anders Eriksson, Anders Nystrom, Jonas Renkse
Mastering - Jens Bogren, Thomas Edberger

July EP

Recorded May-August 2005 at released March 2007 on Peaceville Records. 

Tracklist:

1.  July -                                                        4:46
2.  Soil's Song (Krister Linder 2012 Remix) -      4:40
3.  Unfurl -                                                       4:52

Total Track Time:  14:18

Lineup:

Mattias Norrman - bass

Production - Jens Bogren, David Castillo, Anders Eriksson, Anders Nystrom, Jonas Renkse
Mastering - Jens Bogren, David Castillo, Thomas Edberger
Remixing - Krister Linder

*"Unfurl" to me is their best experiment with electronics they've ever done, with the trip-hop beat and all.  They rarely play it live, but did so as an encore when I saw them. 

Live Consternation

Recorded August 2006 at Summer Breeze Open Air festival in Germany, released May 2007 on Peaceville Records. 

Tracklist:

1.  Leaders -                     5:11
2.  Wealth -                       4:48
3.  Soil's Song -                  4:15
4.  Had to (Leave) -             4:53
5.  Cold Ways -                    5:23
6.  Right Into the Bliss -        5:20
7.  Ghost of the Sun -          4:07
8.  Criminals -                    4:02
9.  Deliberation -               4:05
10.  July -                        4:42
11.  Evidence -                5:01

Total Track Time:  51:47

Lineup:

Jonas Renkse - vocals
Anders Nystrom - guitars, backing vocals
Daniel Liljekvist - drums
Mattias Norrman - bass

Production - Kaja Kargus, Ronald Matthes
Recording - Jacky Lehmann
Mixing - David Castillo
Mastering - David Castillo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ESOodJMoXA

*The key non-album songs to hear are "Displaced", "Dissolving Bonds", "Code Against the Code", and "Unfurl".  Everything else on the EPs are edits or remixes.  Fun to hear at least once, but not as essential. 

Favorite songs:  Every. Single. One. Of. Them.  But specifically, "In the White", "Unfurl", "My Twin", "Consternation", "Code Against the Code", "Leaders", and all the rest. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 09:04:27 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »