Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 387252 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #3150 on: November 01, 2016, 05:44:52 AM »
New song is kinda meh. Pales in comparison to Moth Into Flame and I agree that it offers way too little for its runtime.

Still interested in hearing the album though.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3151 on: November 01, 2016, 07:03:08 AM »
I like Atlas Rise more with each listen. Sounds better in headphones imo.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #3152 on: November 01, 2016, 09:32:46 AM »
What does Kirk play on the albums besides the solo's? What does he play live besides solo's? Adds to James' rhythm guitar playing?

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3153 on: November 01, 2016, 08:21:29 PM »
What does Kirk play on the albums besides the solo's? What does he play live besides solo's? Adds to James' rhythm guitar playing?

Seems to be just solos on the studio recordings, although they seemed to be more democratic on the recording of St. Anger, and he has contributed rhythm ideas in the writing stages (i.e. "Enter Sandman"), so don't assume recording = contributions solely.

Live, yeah, he doubles the rhythms in between solos, and obviously does the harmony parts. Hilariously, because his rhythm playing is so sloppy, he tends to get mixed lower when playing rhythm – listen to S&M and you'll hear what I mean when his guitar (right channel) ducks significantly lower when he plays rhythm.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3154 on: November 01, 2016, 09:08:24 PM »
Just watched the new video. Are they ever going to let Rob be heard? It's ridiculous.

Notepad: you've never seen footage of Metallica live? Kirk does what EVERY lead player does, plays rhythm when not soloing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3155 on: November 01, 2016, 09:19:32 PM »

Seems to be just solos on the studio recordings, although they seemed to be more democratic on the recording of St. Anger, and he has contributed rhythm ideas in the writing stages (i.e. "Enter Sandman"), so don't assume recording = contributions solely.

Live, yeah, he doubles the rhythms in between solos, and obviously does the harmony parts. Hilariously, because his rhythm playing is so sloppy, he tends to get mixed lower when playing rhythm – listen to S&M and you'll hear what I mean when his guitar (right channel) ducks significantly lower when he plays rhythm.

Really? I can't say for S&M since the guitars are so low anyway, but I've heard a lot of live recordings where he is the loudest and is usually right on with James.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3156 on: November 01, 2016, 09:39:07 PM »
Adami and Dream Team are correct, I know this from 20 years of geeky fandom and a shit ton of So What interviews and fan club videos.
After a few listens to Atlas Rise I'm realizing I have 3 problems with this otherwise great song:
1- The first minute or so is a deformed mess of nothingness.
2- No vocal harmonies, Moth Into Flame gave me hope that James is back recording back vocal harmonies which was sorely missed on DM but apparently it's not on all songs of the new album.
3- I know I've reached the conclusion earlier that the chorus closely resembles Hallowed By Thy Name but something is still not right, it sounds like a song Metallica has covered and they've never covered Hallowed By Thy Name, sounds like something from Garage Inc. but I still can't figure it out. Either way the rip off removes me from the mood of "the new Metallica" song.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3157 on: November 01, 2016, 11:19:47 PM »
There's a new Green Day album out?

Oh and I enjoyed Atlas. Cant' wait for the album to drop
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3158 on: November 02, 2016, 12:44:32 AM »
Yeah Jay, it's called Revolution Radio.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3159 on: November 02, 2016, 06:13:59 AM »
2 weeks to Hardwired...To Self Destruct.

They played Atlas,Rise! last night in Bogota and there's a *decent* crowd video of it. Sounds like they nailed it. I also like Lars new Purple Sparkle kit with the black resonant tom heads.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3160 on: November 02, 2016, 06:53:51 AM »
So they get people to watch the new song on YouTube and capitalize on the interest by playing it live. Very simple obviously, but still a smart move.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3161 on: November 02, 2016, 07:16:31 AM »
Lars said they wouldn't debut any songs live without releasing them first.

Because your first opinion would be of a phone quality recording.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3162 on: November 02, 2016, 08:30:04 AM »
So they get people to watch the new song on YouTube and capitalize on the interest by playing it live. Very simple obviously, but still a smart move.

Yea, it's interesting to see the different approaches two of the biggest metal bands have taken to releasing their new music.  (Avenged Sevenfold being the other band).   Metallica is definitely capitalizing on releasing a new music video and then immediately performing the new song at some huge concert. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3163 on: November 02, 2016, 09:14:20 AM »
2- No vocal harmonies, Moth Into Flame gave me hope that James is back recording back vocal harmonies which was sorely missed on DM but apparently it's not on all songs of the new album.

Umm, there are a couple harmonies here and there, not many, not mixed loud, but there are a couple. Your point still stands, at least with me, because I wish there were more and that they were more predominant.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3164 on: November 02, 2016, 09:58:29 AM »

Yea, it's interesting to see the different approaches two of the biggest metal bands have taken to releasing their new music.  (Avenged Sevenfold being the other band).   Metallica is definitely capitalizing on releasing a new music video and then immediately performing the new song at some huge concert.

Is it me, my bias or my age, or is A7X not at the level of 'tallica? 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3165 on: November 02, 2016, 09:59:37 AM »

Nope, they aren't.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #3166 on: November 02, 2016, 10:10:18 AM »
I really liked DM, but it wasn't until recently that I realized that I realized It was missing vocal harmonies. I'm really hoping they include that element on this album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3167 on: November 02, 2016, 10:16:30 AM »

Nope, they aren't.

I think they're awful. Massively generic. I'd put Trivium way above them.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3168 on: November 02, 2016, 10:30:39 AM »
Lars said they wouldn't debut any songs live without releasing them first.

Because your first opinion would be of a phone quality recording.

Another smart move, I remember also Portnoy was keen on this. I believe it was during the pre- Train of Thought days that bad sounding samples were leaked and he was angry over that.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3169 on: November 02, 2016, 10:44:47 AM »

No one is, but I'd argue they are the second biggest current American metal band out there behind Metallica.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3170 on: November 02, 2016, 10:49:57 AM »

Nope, they aren't.

I think they're awful. Massively generic. I'd put Trivium way above them.

I mean in that style of modern metal. Mastodon are easily 2nd for me. Easy. It's not even close.

I just checked Wikipedia and had no idea AX7 sold so many records.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3171 on: November 02, 2016, 10:53:08 AM »
Avenged Sevenfold might not be as big as Metallica or Iron Maiden, but if my knowledge serves well they are top 5 for sure and maybe even #3 as far as overall popularity goes.

Whether you like their music is something different entirely
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3172 on: November 02, 2016, 11:05:52 AM »
Indeed. I find them incredibly bland and generic.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3173 on: November 02, 2016, 11:14:49 AM »
Reviews for the new Metallica album suggest that overall the album isn't all like Hardwired or even Moth. It has a lot more slower, groovy Sad But True style songs and Reload style

experiments.

FINE. BY. ME.

The fast songs should feel natural and a lot of Death Magnetic did not.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3174 on: November 02, 2016, 11:15:20 AM »
I definitely don't find them bland or generic even remotely, but I totally get why people wouldn't dig them.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3175 on: November 02, 2016, 11:37:05 AM »
Avenged Sevenfold might not be as big as Metallica or Iron Maiden, but if my knowledge serves well they are top 5 for sure and maybe even #3 as far as overall popularity goes.

A7X might be the only current Metal band that can fill up some of the larger venues Maiden and Metallica play in the USA. Since at least the Nightmare tour, they've played the same venue here in Denver that Maiden were playing from 2003 to 2012. I assume they are nowhere near as popular in Europe.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3176 on: November 02, 2016, 11:41:26 AM »
Well it's agreed that A7X aren't (and probably never will be) at the same level as Metallica. I can't see any metal band reaching that status nowadays. The music industry has changed too much. Well that's a conversation we've all had a million times.

There is no denying that A7X are a big name in metal though. I think it's fair to compare their latest releases and the way they have been marketed. I love both bands but A7X's new album is great and I'll be highly (and pleasantly) surprised if Metallica release a better album. To be clear, Metallica have been my #1 band for most of my life. I pray they do release an incredible album this time around though.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3177 on: November 02, 2016, 11:51:26 AM »

A7X might be the only current Metal band that can fill up some of the larger venues Maiden and Metallica play in the USA. Since at least the Nightmare tour, they've played the same venue here in Denver that Maiden were playing from 2003 to 2012. I assume they are nowhere near as popular in Europe.

I can't say for sure because it might have to deal with booking agencies wanting Avenged Sevenfold to play in Amsterdam really badly or something. As far as I can tell the fanbase in Europe is pretty big, but they're not filling arenas. When I saw them it was in Ziggo Dome which has a capacity of 17k. The show was sold out, but they would probably not be able to play arenas.

I love both bands but A7X's new album is great and I'll be highly (and pleasantly) surprised if Metallica release a better album.
Same here. I really like Moth and Hardwired is a solid rocker, and I still believe that they'll put out a great album, but The Stage is on a different level man.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3178 on: November 02, 2016, 11:53:47 AM »
Reviews for the new Metallica album suggest that overall the album isn't all like Hardwired or even Moth. It has a lot more slower, groovy Sad But True style songs and Reload style

experiments.

FINE. BY. ME.

The fast songs should feel natural and a lot of Death Magnetic did not.

I'm aware of only 2 fast songs on DM: Nightmare and Apocalypse. Are those the 2 you are referring to? The only 2 with double-time drumming.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3179 on: November 02, 2016, 11:57:44 AM »
That Was Just Your Life is pretty fast too.

But the arrangements on DM were not the best.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3180 on: November 02, 2016, 12:09:55 PM »
Other than how it sounds, I really don't have any issue with DM. Not a fan of the instrumental.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3181 on: November 02, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »
LETS DO THIS

Rate The Instrumentals you !!!

1. Orion - no question

2. Ktulu

3. Suicide & Redemption

4. To Live Is To Die

5. Anaesthesia

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3182 on: November 02, 2016, 12:12:15 PM »
I've never liked A7X that much, but that new album has definitely won me over. Nothing generic about it really.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3183 on: November 02, 2016, 12:13:59 PM »
I've never liked A7X that much, but that new album has definitely won me over. Nothing generic about it really.

I tried Hail To The King and it just made me laugh mostly at how similar Shepherd of Fire is to Enter Sandman and how much This Means War wants to be Sad But True.

I think I tried a few other songs but they did pretty much nothing for me.

I really don't like the intro to The Stage. Super fast drumming with lightning tom fills doesn't automatically make a song good.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3184 on: November 02, 2016, 12:16:39 PM »

I tried Hail To The King and it just made me laugh mostly at how similar Shepherd of Fire is to Enter Sandman and how much This Means War wants to be Sad But True.

I think I tried a few other songs but they did pretty much nothing for me.

I really don't like the intro to The Stage. Super fast drumming with lightning tom fills doesn't automatically make a song good.

To this day I've only listened to HTTK once  :lol definitely don't judge the band based on that album.