Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 386979 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #2310 on: August 19, 2016, 07:53:38 AM »
Kaos, I hope you know I don't say this to argue with you but only to offer a slightly different take (and this was really formed for me while watching "Some Kind of Monster" which is, with the possible exception of the Rush doc, my favorite musical documentary ever)...

I think they are the one band that DIDN'T do that.   They follow their muse.   I respectfully, but honestly, think that the people that think Metallica sold out are those that are wishing for RtL Part 9.  Or MoP over and over again.   We forget, because it landed, and landed BIG, but The Black Album was a huge risk.   They spent a LOT of time on that, and what, remixed it twice or some shit?    If it tanked, they were arguably done.   Load and Reload were - for them - WAY off the reservation, and there was no guarantee of financial success.    St. Anger was more polarizing than any album from Testament, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer COMBINED.   Those other bands (with the exception of Testament, who I am not that familiar with) are still doing the same shtick.   Slayer is to me a cartoon.   Every time I hear them I hear the melody of "Entrance of the Gladiators" (the "circus theme") in my head.   

I think if they were really about the "business" first, they would have put out "The Black Puppets", "Load the Lightning", "Reload the Lightning", "St. Justice", "Death Days Revisited", and "Hardwired... to Kill Em All".   At least with Metallica (like Zeppelin), if I want to bang heads, I have an album or two to go to.  If I want to put a little "prog" in my metal, I have an album to go to.  If I want a little classic rock, I have an album to go to.   

I think they are way bigger than any of the other bands you mentioned (perhaps, again, combined) and so there is an element to business that is unavoidable.  You can't play stadia without at least ONE eye on the wallet, but in that context, in my opinion, they have stayed very relevant and have taken some big risks. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2311 on: August 19, 2016, 07:59:15 AM »
I agree with Stadler, up until DM, at which point I think they decided to pander to the thrash fans instead of being really inspired to create music for the sake of feeling creative. Hardwired so far sounds like it's going to be more of the same.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2312 on: August 19, 2016, 08:13:47 AM »
I agree with both of you.

Also, new song is a bit boring, but we'll see how the album turns out. I do really hope it's going to be an inspired album, not a "let's go back to the old days 'cause that's all people want to hear". If they want to do that type of music, fine, but if they're not 100% into it and they do it anyway to make people happy I don't think it's gonna sound inspired.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2313 on: August 19, 2016, 08:14:40 AM »
Kaos, I hope you know I don't say this to argue with you but only to offer a slightly different take (and this was really formed for me while watching "Some Kind of Monster" which is, with the possible exception of the Rush doc, my favorite musical documentary ever)...

I think they are the one band that DIDN'T do that.   They follow their muse.   I respectfully, but honestly, think that the people that think Metallica sold out are those that are wishing for RtL Part 9.  Or MoP over and over again.   We forget, because it landed, and landed BIG, but The Black Album was a huge risk.   They spent a LOT of time on that, and what, remixed it twice or some shit?    If it tanked, they were arguably done.   Load and Reload were - for them - WAY off the reservation, and there was no guarantee of financial success.    St. Anger was more polarizing than any album from Testament, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer COMBINED.   Those other bands (with the exception of Testament, who I am not that familiar with) are still doing the same shtick.   Slayer is to me a cartoon.   Every time I hear them I hear the melody of "Entrance of the Gladiators" (the "circus theme") in my head.   

I think if they were really about the "business" first, they would have put out "The Black Puppets", "Load the Lightning", "Reload the Lightning", "St. Justice", "Death Days Revisited", and "Hardwired... to Kill Em All".   At least with Metallica (like Zeppelin), if I want to bang heads, I have an album or two to go to.  If I want to put a little "prog" in my metal, I have an album to go to.  If I want a little classic rock, I have an album to go to.   

I think they are way bigger than any of the other bands you mentioned (perhaps, again, combined) and so there is an element to business that is unavoidable.  You can't play stadia without at least ONE eye on the wallet, but in that context, in my opinion, they have stayed very relevant and have taken some big risks.

No worries Stads. I really enjoyed Some Kind of Monster as well. I remember seeing that in the theaters and walking out pumped to be a Metallica fan. I don't hate any albums they've put out. What I hate is that they've put out 2 albums in 13 years. I really like Load and Re-load I get that they're following their muse, but I don't think their Muse is focused on new music. Hopefully the new album is amazing. I'll reserve final judgement until it's released, but after one song I'm not impressed.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2314 on: August 19, 2016, 08:15:07 AM »
I'm hoping they chose this song as the lead single simply to reassure the fans they regained with DM that this album was going to have similar songs, and that the rest of the album will display more diversity.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2315 on: August 19, 2016, 09:40:36 AM »
I'm just taking this song on its own merits, and it's hitting me ****A LOT**** harder than anything on DM.   

I agree that DM was a good album, but basically sounded like a retread.    I personally felt that there was a "hunger" factor missing from that entire album even though the music was decent.   I know that's hard to quantify, but I'm getting a much bigger sense of urgency with this song.   I was totally surprised with how great it was.    It's the best single song I've heard from Metallica since 1988. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2316 on: August 19, 2016, 09:45:09 AM »
Really? After multiple listens, I still can't remember a damn thing about the new song, except the chorus lyrics for the wrong reasons. Not a single decent melody in the entire song. Bland af.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2317 on: August 19, 2016, 09:51:08 AM »
Really? After multiple listens, I still can't remember a damn thing about the new song, except the chorus lyrics for the wrong reasons. Not a single decent melody in the entire song. Bland af.

You've said that the songs on Hardwired will sound "less frenetic" than those on Death Magnetic. What do you mean?
Most of the songs are simpler. We introduce a mood and we stick to it, rather than songs we've done where one riff happens and we go over here and then over there and becomes a journey through all these different soundscapes. The songs are more linear. And by "less frenetic," I mean there are certainly less starts and stops in the songs. It cruises along a little bit more than the last record.

So not riff soup basically. Plus much shorter songs this time around... :tup.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2318 on: August 19, 2016, 09:52:09 AM »
I'm hoping they chose this song as the lead single simply to reassure the fans they regained with DM that this album was going to have similar songs, and that the rest of the album will display more diversity.

In a new Interview - Lars said this song was written really quickly JUST to have a short fast song to open the album.

They wanted it to be the album opener and lead single.

I'm guessing the rest of the album is stronger material.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2319 on: August 19, 2016, 10:03:49 AM »
Well that all sounds promising. Hopefully that means the rest of the songs will be a bit more musical, with harmonies and melodies. At least I have no major complaints about the production this time.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2320 on: August 19, 2016, 10:21:06 AM »
You don't like the chorus?   I'm not normally a fan of the F-bomb, but in spite of that, I find that chorus to be amazing. 

Only twice and I can't get it out of my head. 

Maybe it's just because I was feeling particularly "kid like" today, and this made me feel like a kid again.  (something that DM failed to do entirely)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2321 on: August 19, 2016, 10:25:07 AM »
Just put the song on again and got goosebumps.

It's really growing on me. Can't wait for the album.

Production is great too. REVERB!!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2322 on: August 19, 2016, 10:39:20 AM »
You don't like the chorus?   I'm not normally a fan of the F-bomb, but in spite of that, I find that chorus to be amazing. 

Only twice and I can't get it out of my head. 

Maybe it's just because I was feeling particularly "kid like" today, and this made me feel like a kid again.  (something that DM failed to do entirely)

First time I heard the song, I didn't even realize it was supposed to be a chorus, and then it just goes into the riff/verse and you realize that was it. I was expecting it to be a pre-chorus. I don't even consider it a chorus, it's that weak and forgettable. Even with remembering the lyrics, I can't recall it at all. There's not a real melody in the entire song. The song's too blandtacular to even be outright bad.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2323 on: August 19, 2016, 11:02:13 AM »
I like the straight forward , heavy sound/vibe but the lyrics stand out as pretty ordinary and I find myself listening to Lars speed up and slow down .............must be bad for me to notice.

I'd view it as an average track with a vibe that bodes well for the album.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2324 on: August 19, 2016, 11:32:07 AM »
I just pre - ordered the 3CD version :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2325 on: August 19, 2016, 11:42:56 AM »
This song made my day. And it made me smile.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2326 on: August 19, 2016, 11:45:42 AM »
Maybe another reason it seemed fresh to me is that I honestly NEVER listen to thrash any more. I don't think I've listened to a single note of thrash in 3 years.

Absense makes the heart grow fonder...

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2327 on: August 19, 2016, 11:48:50 AM »
What's kinda unique about this song is that I cannot think of the main riff without listening to it, it's very.. undistinguished, it could be cause it's new but I doubt it.
It's very easy to listen to this song and think of Hetfield's Kill'em All vocals on it haha
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2328 on: August 19, 2016, 11:50:42 AM »
Really ? i can hear the main riff in my head.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2329 on: August 19, 2016, 11:52:21 AM »
I find myself listening to the drums during the verses. They're that loud for me, the snare and bass drum.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2330 on: August 19, 2016, 11:57:31 AM »
Meh, listened to it 3 times total now and this just sounds like something similar to the style of DM but much, much worse. I'm glad atleast some people can find enjoyment in this I guess :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2331 on: August 19, 2016, 12:02:11 PM »
Meh, listened to it 3 times total now and this just sounds like something similar to the style of DM but much, much worse. I'm glad atleast some people can find enjoyment in this I guess :lol

This is awesome compared to that Lords of Summer nonsense.

And even if " Hardwired...To Self Destruct " is just Death Magnetic 2 - at least the production is nice FINALLY...

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2332 on: August 19, 2016, 12:05:31 PM »
The rhythm behind the verse lyrics is straight off of RTL. I like it. Everything else is straight out of DM. Meh. I had no problems with DM, and I suspect this will be no different. It just doesn't blow me away.

That really is a peculiar sounding bass drum. And Lars shouldn't be doing anything in the studio that will cause him fail spectacularly when they play it live.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2333 on: August 19, 2016, 12:07:07 PM »
Lars can manage double bass like that live.

Also that riff at 1:40 or so . . . isn't that just Metal Militia ?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 12:12:18 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2334 on: August 19, 2016, 12:12:54 PM »

Wow! Whenever I try it turns into a mix of My Apocalypse and This Was Your Life.

I find myself listening to the drums during the verses. They're that loud for me, the snare and bass drum.

Agreed, throughout the song it sounds louder than it should be.

And even if " Hardwired...To Self Destruct " is just Death Magnetic 2 - at least the production is nice FINALLY...

I'd be happy with that.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2335 on: August 19, 2016, 12:16:03 PM »
Their best sounding studio album of *original* material since Reload.

in 1997.

19 years ago.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2336 on: August 19, 2016, 12:19:48 PM »

Wow! Whenever I try it turns into a mix of My Apocalypse and This Was Your Life.
Yeah, I had That Was Just Your Life stuck in my head all day yesterday, because every time I tried to think of this new riff, it would just morph into that song.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2337 on: August 19, 2016, 12:25:16 PM »
The part that reminds me is the B - Bb - A progression then the 3-5-6-5-3-5 bit comes next.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2338 on: August 19, 2016, 12:31:30 PM »
I just pre - ordered the 3CD version :)

Definitely not pre-ordering. Especially from the website, which will cost almost $22 total, and will probably not make it my house by release day. Picked up Death Magnetic on release day at Hot Topic for $5, and I'm sure I can pick it up at the local Newbury Comics for around $10. As long as I can listen to it for under $20 on release day I'll be happy.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2339 on: August 19, 2016, 01:33:44 PM »
I treated myself. Plus it'll probably be on Spotify the day it's out.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2340 on: August 19, 2016, 03:42:56 PM »
Somewhere beneath those horrible lyrics is a decent Metallica song. Add a 5 minute repetitive instrumental section, and this song will fit right in on St. Anger.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2341 on: August 19, 2016, 03:55:05 PM »
This song was the last thing written for the album and was written & recorded exclusively by James & Lars ( Kirk and Rob did overdubs but did not contribute to the writing ) in one week to open the

album when they wanted something fast and short to kick it off.

I think with that in mind it's perfectly acceptable. Especially since there's 11 more tracks and around 75 minutes.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2342 on: August 19, 2016, 04:01:18 PM »
I don't think rushing and half assing a song is acceptable.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2343 on: August 19, 2016, 04:12:01 PM »
This song was the last thing written for the album and was written & recorded exclusively by James & Lars ( Kirk and Rob did overdubs but did not contribute to the writing ) in one week to open the

album when they wanted something fast and short to kick it off.

Maybe that's why it feels like a B side.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2344 on: August 19, 2016, 05:06:37 PM »
More like a side of shit.

I listened to it again and can't believe how generic and bad it is.