Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646084 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3500 on: May 02, 2016, 10:36:48 AM »
So, Jon Snow is still dead in the books?
The books haven't got this far yet. For his/the wall's storyline, the latest book ended the same way as season 5.

Hm... So the series is spoiling the books now  :lol

From what I understand they're just separate things now. The books (whenever they continue) will go in a different direction than the show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3501 on: May 02, 2016, 10:45:52 AM »
The books haven't got this far yet. For his/the wall's storyline, the latest book ended the same way as season 5.

From what I understand they're just separate things now. The books (whenever they continue) will go in a different direction than the show.

Different directions to the same ending is my understanding, but I think there will be lots of similarities like how Jon comes back to life.  I am thinking in the books, Mel maybsacrifice Shireen for this purpose, but who knows.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3502 on: May 02, 2016, 10:54:35 AM »

Yup, spoilers everywhere for the books!
I blame George R. R. Martin.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3503 on: May 02, 2016, 11:27:34 AM »
I have a question if anyone can answer cause it's been a while since I've seen season 2. But at the end of the season, Theon is betrayed by his Greyjoy troops and handed over to Ramsay. Can anyone remember why this was done? I'm assuming those Greyjoy troops also abandoned their loyalty to Balon Greyjoy?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3504 on: May 02, 2016, 11:33:05 AM »
Uh, Euron killing Balon in the books was pretty much confirmed, even though he did it by hiring a Faceless Man assassin in the books because he wasn't around when Balon died. I won't bother looking for quotes or anything, but it wasn't a book spoiler whatsoever as far as I'm concerned.

I agree Jon's resurrection was somewhat lame. Best part of the episode for me was Bran's flashback. That was really nice.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3505 on: May 02, 2016, 11:43:22 AM »
I agree Jon's resurrection was somewhat lame.

I still think (if the popular theory is true and he's half Targaryn) that it'd have been neat to have him not burn in a burial fire and resurrect as the fire burned. But, oh well...it is what it is. It's not that I think it was lame...it's just that it was expected. Everyone and their mother knew he was coming back so I think that took away from the scene a bit but all in all I was happy with how it went.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #3506 on: May 02, 2016, 12:01:43 PM »
I have a question if anyone can answer cause it's been a while since I've seen season 2. But at the end of the season, Theon is betrayed by his Greyjoy troops and handed over to Ramsay. Can anyone remember why this was done? I'm assuming those Greyjoy troops also abandoned their loyalty to Balon Greyjoy?
They didn't exactly abandon their loyalty to Balon Greyjoy. An offer was made that if they gave up Theon then they would let the rest of the Ironborn go (Robb Stark told Roose Bolton to do this, and Roose Bolton sent Ramsay to Winterfell). So the Ironborn were just betraying Theon to try to save their own skin and be allowed to go back to the Iron Islands. Ramsay confirmed later in the series though that he did not honour the deal and killed those Ironborn anyway.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3507 on: May 02, 2016, 12:28:36 PM »
They didn't exactly abandon their loyalty to Balon Greyjoy. An offer was made that if they gave up Theon then they would let the rest of the Ironborn go (Robb Stark told Roose Bolton to do this, and Roose Bolton sent Ramsay to Winterfell). So the Ironborn were just betraying Theon to try to save their own skin and be allowed to go back to the Iron Islands. Ramsay confirmed later in the series though that he did not honour the deal and killed those Ironborn anyway.

What RuRo said.

And Evermind, it's not a total spoiler but the books did not in any way that I know, confirm who killed Balon.  Euron arrives shortly after his death so it always seemed likely he was involved and the faceless man theory was just that, a theory, as far as I knew (and a way to explain how he died without Euron directly being there).  Feel free to prove me wrong though.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3508 on: May 02, 2016, 12:43:44 PM »

In the book, he wargs into Ghost at the end, or at least that's the conclusion one could come to.

I think Jon's resurrection might have seemed disappointing because we were expecting it, but not so soon, or maybe it's because everybody was out of the room when it happened so there was no emotion from others yet. Don't get me wrong. I love that he is back, but it seemed so nonchalant and anticlimactic.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3509 on: May 02, 2016, 12:46:02 PM »

In the book, he wargs into Ghost at the end, or at least that's the conclusion one could come to.

I think Jon's resurrection might have seemed disappointing because we were expecting it, but not so soon, or maybe it's because everybody was out of the room when it happened so there was no emotion from others yet. Don't get me wrong. I love that he is back, but it seemed so nonchalant and anticlimactic.

Agreed and given Ghost's reaction last night, it is possible he did warg into ghost in the show and could only warg back into his body once life was given to it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3510 on: May 02, 2016, 12:51:45 PM »

Agreed and given Ghost's reaction last night, it is possible he did warg into ghost in the show and could only warg back into his body once life was given to it.

but it'd seem like there would have been more emphasis on the fact that he was 'in' ghost. Other than Ghost howling after he died and trying to get out of his pen and then snarling to defend his body....there was no real "sign" that Jon had warged into Ghost. I'm doubting that he warged into him (on the show)...i think it was/is as simple as he was resurrected...just curious to see how being dead for a bit affects his demeanor, personality, actions??

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3511 on: May 02, 2016, 01:01:26 PM »

but it'd seem like there would have been more emphasis on the fact that he was 'in' ghost. Other than Ghost howling after he died and trying to get out of his pen and then snarling to defend his body....there was no real "sign" that Jon had warged into Ghost. I'm doubting that he warged into him (on the show)...i think it was/is as simple as he was resurrected...just curious to see how being dead for a bit affects his demeanor, personality, actions??

Speaking of Jon being in Ghost, it reminded me of this interview some of the guys did at the Oxford Union. It was pretty hysterical all around but this one thing Kit said had me in tears from laughing so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRm5mvt_qD4

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3512 on: May 02, 2016, 01:19:43 PM »

That's right, I remember now. Thanks!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3513 on: May 02, 2016, 01:25:46 PM »
Speaking of Jon being in Ghost, it reminded me of this interview some of the guys did at the Oxford Union. It was pretty hysterical all around but this one thing Kit said had me in tears from laughing so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRm5mvt_qD4

That is really funny. I also love John Bailey's reaction.

I really liked the Tyrion/Dragon Scene. It wasn't flashy and I never felt like he was in any danger (I mean, they wouldn't kill him off like that...right?) but how he spoke to them as if they were people to gain their trust was interesting.

For a short nervous moment I thought he was walking into the end of Quentyn's storyline  :lol

I still think (if the popular theory is true and he's half Targaryn) that it'd have been neat to have him not burn in a burial fire and resurrect as the fire burned. But, oh well...it is what it is. It's not that I think it was lame...it's just that it was expected. Everyone and their mother knew he was coming back so I think that took away from the scene a bit but all in all I was happy with how it went.

Exactly this for me, I was just hyped for Tormund to get his pyre going so we could get to a fiery resurrection scene. But oh well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3514 on: May 02, 2016, 01:38:04 PM »

Well, it's just a thought based on a mixture of the book material and what we saw.  I think you are likely correct, but given what we saw, it is still open to be possible.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3515 on: May 02, 2016, 01:50:07 PM »

Well, it's just a thought based on a mixture of the book material and what we saw.  I think you are likely correct, but given what we saw, it is still open to be possible.

absolutely..you're right. I don't read the books but wasn't Jon Snow's last words in the last book as he was dying "Ghost"? It's not out of the realm of possibility by any means. I would have thought though that 'if' they had taken this direction that there'd have been at least some sort of more detailed attention paid to Ghost than there had been up to the point of his resurrection. Unless they are just leaving the audience as clueless as the characters on the show were.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3516 on: May 02, 2016, 01:52:16 PM »
For me, the biggest clue that he wargs into Ghost is the A Dance With Dragons prologue. That seemed to exist for the reason to set something else up. To explain how warging can work when you die.

The biggest clue against it now is that it doesn't seem like he did. But maybe. Maybe he was so inexperienced that he didn't know he was in Ghost, he just thought he was a wolf for a day. Didn't Bran act like a wolf completely when he wargs in the beginning, when he didn't know that he was warging?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3517 on: May 02, 2016, 01:57:48 PM »
For a short nervous moment I thought he was walking into the end of Quentyn's storyline  :lol
I briefly thought the same thing. :lol But I quickly decided that they wouldn't kill off Tyrion like that.

For me, the biggest clue that he wargs into Ghost is the A Dance With Dragons prologue. That seemed to exist for the reason to set something else up. To explain how warging can work when you die.

The biggest clue against it now is that it doesn't seem like he did. But maybe. Maybe he was so inexperienced that he didn't know he was in Ghost, he just thought he was a wolf for a day. Didn't Bran act like a wolf completely when he wargs in the beginning, when he didn't know that he was warging?
It's possible they're going down that route, but then warging in the show is generally less prominent than in the books (e.g. we've seen no hint of it from Arya) so they might just ignore it entirely.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3518 on: May 02, 2016, 02:04:28 PM »
absolutely..you're right. I don't read the books but wasn't Jon Snow's last words in the last book as he was dying "Ghost"? It's not out of the realm of possibility by any means. I would have thought though that 'if' they had taken this direction that there'd have been at least some sort of more detailed attention paid to Ghost than there had been up to the point of his resurrection. Unless they are just leaving the audience as clueless as the characters on the show were.

Im not at all arguing with you here, just bringing up another point.  Ghost had a lot of air time the last two episodes compared to how much time we have seen of him in the rest of the show.  In general the CGI for the direwolves is expensive so that's why they aren't featured nearly as much as they should.  But just showing Ghost in these scenes and his reactions has been more than normal.  Granted, the show runners have a knack for teasing the book readers and I honestly think this is likely one of those teases since as ariich noted, warging in general is not as prominent in the show.  The books actually make it seem like all of the Starks may be able to warg.  In the show, it is clearly only Bran (and Bran is way more powerful as well since he can warg a human).

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3519 on: May 02, 2016, 03:05:06 PM »
I agree Jon's resurrection was somewhat lame.

I still think (if the popular theory is true and he's half Targaryn) that it'd have been neat to have him not burn in a burial fire and resurrect as the fire burned. But, oh well...it is what it is.

Targaryens do burn, as the very very very old maester who was at the Wall did.

Dany coming unscathed out of Drogo's pyre was a miracle, George R.R. Martin explicitly said so using that very word, "miracle".  It was a once in a lifetime event, Dany herself would burn again if lit aflame.

About the episode... yay, he's back! we waited a long time for him but finally he's back... welcome back, Hodor!  ;D

Am I the only one, and I can't believe I'm typing this, who's sad at Roose Bolton's dead? Robb's killer, this cold blooded calculating soft spoken bastard reduced to a pawn in Ramsay's scheme? I know that Game of Thrones isn't exactly the kind of story when good guys are avenged with a satisfying vengeance and a witty one liner to top it up, but it's so unsatisfying that Roose Bolton dies the same way as someone else in the next scene - betrayed by his own kin. Joffrey's death was satisfying, even if it was not a direct revenge, this one feels so random. I bet in the books he wouldn't have died that way.

I guess Ramsay will be made the centerpiece of the storyline, he will go down in the battle against Jon Snow and so Roose wasn't "needed" anymore... but what an unsatisfying demise fot that interesting bastard.

And I want a comedy spinoff of Tyrion and Varys, hehe! loved his scene with the dragon, and yeah, the Bran stuff was golden.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 03:18:22 PM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3520 on: May 02, 2016, 03:09:16 PM »
Agreed about Targaryens burning, I had thought it had to do with "the blood of the dragon" and not all Targaryens actually have it.  Such as Viserion who claimed it constantly, yet his head melted from his crown for a king  :lol but in the show Dany is shown in the first episode that the boiling water didn't effect her or when she touched the eggs after they were heated.

Also, I was upset with Roose's death just because he was a character who had been around for a long time and I thought we would see more of a Roose vs. Ramsay feud, but that clearly didn't last very long.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3521 on: May 02, 2016, 03:10:41 PM »
Am I the only one...
No you're not:

Ramsay is just horrible whereas Roose was a really interesting character so it's kinda lame that he's gone. Unless, of course, the theory that he's immortal is right and he somehow comes back. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #3522 on: May 02, 2016, 03:51:27 PM »
The lame thing, to me, about Roose's death was that Roose "Tywin-lite" Bolton was totally not expecting Ramsay to try to kill him right then and there? :/
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3523 on: May 02, 2016, 03:56:44 PM »
The lame thing, to me, about Roose's death was that Roose "Tywin-lite" Bolton was totally not expecting Ramsay to try to kill him right then and there? :/

Yeah...I mean, he'd have to know that having a 'natural' heir was not going to sit well with Ramsay? For all his planning and well thought out escapades he couldn't see that his rabid mutt bastard son was a loose cannon and would totally do that? Seemed like a silly way for him to die..

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3524 on: May 02, 2016, 04:09:09 PM »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3525 on: May 02, 2016, 04:10:19 PM »
I thought it was very fitting personally of what Ramsay did, and Roose was the kind of person who looked like he had Ramsay in check all the time. All said and done it was a great scene and it made Ramsay that more menacing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #3526 on: May 02, 2016, 04:18:44 PM »

Yeah...I mean, he'd have to know that having a 'natural' heir was not going to sit well with Ramsay? For all his planning and well thought out escapades he couldn't see that his rabid mutt bastard son was a loose cannon and would totally do that? Seemed like a silly way for him to die..
Even more so after he made that remark to Ramsay last week about "let's hope Walda is having a boy".
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3527 on: May 02, 2016, 04:33:56 PM »
I thought it was very fitting personally of what Ramsay did, and Roose was the kind of person who looked like he had Ramsay in check all the time. All said and done it was a great scene and it made Ramsay that more menacing.

True...Roose probably was overconfident in his stature and standing, and control over Ramsay and probably didn't think he had anything to worry about....that he could always hold being the 'true' heir over his head not thinking Ramsay would ever conspire against him.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3528 on: May 02, 2016, 05:07:52 PM »
Even though I agree it was a bit cheesy and expected I giggled of joyed like a schoolgirl man. Such a tease that ended in climax!  :hat
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3529 on: May 02, 2016, 05:46:55 PM »
Won't lie, when Roose first was stabbed, I wasn't totally sure who stabbed who thinking it was more likely Ramsay doing the stabbing (although Roose had a motive to kill him too when you think about it) but also the angle they showed made it difficult to determine immediately.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:54:08 PM by cramx3 »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3530 on: May 02, 2016, 05:51:16 PM »
Won't lie, when Roose first first stab, I wasn't totally sure who stabbed who thinking it was more likely Ramsay doing the stabbing (although Roose had a motive to kill him too when you think about it) but also the angle they showed made it difficult to determine immediately.

I honestly was expecting Roose to stab Ramsay even before it happened.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3531 on: May 03, 2016, 01:29:35 AM »
I can't for the life of me understand why they let Thorne and Olly go, I thought they would have executed them right away or imprisoned them..
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3532 on: May 03, 2016, 03:52:18 AM »
I can't for the life of me understand why they let Thorne and Olly go, I thought they would have executed them right away or imprisoned them..
Er, they did imprison them.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3533 on: May 03, 2016, 05:05:33 AM »
I don't care if they feel imprisonment is the right thing to do, you execute them on the spot no questions asked. Especially Olly.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3534 on: May 03, 2016, 05:49:29 AM »
Won't lie, when Roose first was stabbed, I wasn't totally sure who stabbed who thinking it was more likely Ramsay doing the stabbing (although Roose had a motive to kill him too when you think about it) but also the angle they showed made it difficult to determine immediately.

I think it could have went either way. Eventually Ramsay was going to do something that really pissed off Roose. It's obvious they didn't agree on a lot.