Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646167 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3325 on: March 18, 2016, 01:11:54 PM »
I assume the Hardhome one, right?

I love how I just didn't see it coming. I thought that part was just a diplomatic mission, "Ok, Jon gets the wildlings to move, then we'll shift to something else", and then... all icy hell breaks loose. It was mindblowingly awesome.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3326 on: March 18, 2016, 01:42:19 PM »
I assume the Hardhome one, right?

I love how I just didn't see it coming. I thought that part was just a diplomatic mission, "Ok, Jon gets the wildlings to move, then we'll shift to something else", and then... all icy hell breaks loose. It was mindblowingly awesome.

Yup, as I've said before here, easily one of the most epic TV episodes on any show I have ever watched.

But I read the books and while in the books we didn't see what happened at Hardhome, we had an idea based on the letter Jon recieved from the members of the Nights Watch who did go.  (Jon wasn't there as you can see, a big change from the books, but a change for the better IMO at least with the way the show presented the stare off between Jon and the Nights King).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3327 on: March 21, 2016, 11:13:06 AM »
Game of Thrones showrunners: Season 6 'the best one we've done'

Well, I'm glad they are pleased with it.  We'll see.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3328 on: March 21, 2016, 11:20:07 AM »
They're saying that for each new season, and no way Season 5 was the best they've ever done, so yep, we'll see indeed.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3329 on: March 21, 2016, 11:30:30 AM »
Yea, I don't trust when any artist says "this is the best we've ever done".  Not that I don't think this season will be great, I think it will be, but that statement just means nothing to me.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3330 on: March 21, 2016, 12:47:03 PM »
A little look back on season 4... how much do you think Oberyn was selfish in becoming Tyrion's champion, and how much the fact that it was actually Tyrion influenced him? all he cared about was revenge against the Mountain so he probably would have offered to be a champion even for a rapist, but from their dialogue in the cell (one of the best scenes of the season and of the entire series) he seemed to genuinely like Tyrion and understand his life as an outcast for things he's not to blamed for, so probably he saw the chance to kill two birds with a stone rather than picking whoever happened to be on the Mountain's path.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3331 on: March 21, 2016, 12:55:49 PM »
Totally selfish on Oberyn.  If Tyrion was not going to fight the mountain, would Oberyn still be his champ?  It had everything to do with him wanting to kill the Mountain.  Although I do believe those two got along much better once Oberyn realized Tyrion was not like his father.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #3332 on: March 21, 2016, 01:37:37 PM »
Yeah, Oberyn's actions were 100% revenge motivated. He probably would have been anyone's champion if he got the chance to fight the Mountain. Especially considering that Doran very much blames the Lannisters for Elia's death, (and I would wager Oberyn feels the same), the fact that he was willing to champion Tyrion shows it totally was not about him.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3333 on: March 21, 2016, 01:44:03 PM »
To echo the previous comments, it was indisputably all about Oberyn. He has an air of arrogance about him, and is extremely complacent regarding just about everything.  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3335 on: March 25, 2016, 01:31:55 PM »
One of those pics reminded me of soemthing I am looking forward to in the show that is a departure from the books... which is Tyrion and Varys essentially ruling over Mereen.  I thought that season two with Tyrion as Hand and forming his relationship with Varys was some of the best dialogue in the show and also some of the best Tyrion scenes.  Hopefully we see some more of that in Mereen.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3336 on: March 25, 2016, 01:35:41 PM »
I don't doubt that we will. It'll be some more great dialogue between the two of them. It just makes me wonder who will do what Varys does at the end of book 5.  Hmmm

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3337 on: March 25, 2016, 01:37:11 PM »
I thought that season two with Tyrion as Hand and forming his relationship with Varys was some of the best dialogue in the show and also some of the best Tyrion scenes. 

"The Lord of Light wants his enemies burnt, The Drowned God wants them drowned. Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where is the God of tits and wine?"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3338 on: March 25, 2016, 01:38:10 PM »
I don't doubt that we will. It'll be some more great dialogue between the two of them. It just makes me wonder who will do what Varys does at the end of book 5.  Hmmm

Yea, him in Mereen makes things a bit different, but given we have no idea what the impact of said scene is, they could write it completely different in the show... or Varys could possibly only be in Mereen for a short while.

I thought that season two with Tyrion as Hand and forming his relationship with Varys was some of the best dialogue in the show and also some of the best Tyrion scenes. 

"The Lord of Light wants his enemies burnt, The Drowned God wants them drowned. Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where is the God of tits and wine?"

:lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3339 on: March 25, 2016, 01:45:02 PM »

Yea, him in Mereen makes things a bit different, but given we have no idea what the impact of said scene is, they could write it completely different in the show... or Varys could possibly only be in Mereen for a short while.

It's all part of the excitement for the new season. Of course, the ten weeks will go by so fast and then we'll be waiting again.   :lol

:lol

Now THAT'S my kind of god.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3340 on: March 25, 2016, 02:54:44 PM »
You can't spell PIMP without the IMP.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3341 on: April 03, 2016, 12:53:25 PM »
Finished my re-cap of S05, lots of small events I forgot mostly because i've only seen S05 once and that was when it aired. Feels good now, back on track and I can't wait for S06! :corn

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3342 on: April 04, 2016, 07:26:59 AM »
Finished my re-cap of S05, lots of small events I forgot mostly because i've only seen S05 once and that was when it aired. Feels good now, back on track and I can't wait for S06! :corn

I'm almost done with season 4 rewatch.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3343 on: April 04, 2016, 11:42:26 AM »
Season 4 has at least three scenes I'd watch over and over and over (which I actually did):

- Tyrion's trial and his EPIC middle finger for everyone in the room, ending with his request for trial by combat. Which contains what I'd call the best line of the season: "Watching your vicious bastard die gave me more relief than a thousand lying whores".

- Oberyn visting Tyrion in the cell and offering to be his champion.

- Oberyn vs the Mountain.... as long as I pause before the end  ;D

Remember Bronn telling Tyrion how hard it was to fight the Mountain? he was pondering aloud "Maybe I could dance around him 'til he's tired, get him off his feet somehow"... that's exactly what Oberyn did, on top of pissing him off and taunting him repeatedly. Bronn actually figured out the right way to fight the Mountain, and Oberyn put it into practice and actually "won"... well, if you forget the part where he looked away enough to be tripped and get his head bashed in but details.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3344 on: April 05, 2016, 10:58:01 AM »
Almost done with my re-watch of season 5. Definitely slower than past seasons but still great. From a story perspective season 5 is really the set up for the second of half so it took some time to set the stage for the finale.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3345 on: April 05, 2016, 11:14:27 AM »
Almost done with my re-watch of season 5. Definitely slower than past seasons but still great. From a story perspective season 5 is really the set up for the second of half so it took some time to set the stage for the finale.

That's the way I felt and why I always defended the slow pacing and honestly, the fact that it was the worst season.  If the storylines pan out, i may still think it's the worst season, but I find it hard to say the show botched the Dorne storyline or anything else that was new to the season because those storylines are just beginning and while it may be (and in this example is) different than the books, doesn't mean the "show ruined it" or "this storyline sucks" because there is still so much more to see I would imagine. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3346 on: April 05, 2016, 02:43:37 PM »
https://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/weekly-show-after-the-thrones

Looks like GoT is getting The Walking Dead treatment with an aftershow (although it won't actually air on HBO after the show).

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3347 on: April 05, 2016, 06:10:02 PM »
Am I the only one who doesn't understand the appeal of these "after" shows?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3348 on: April 05, 2016, 06:12:54 PM »
Am I the only one who doesn't understand the appeal of these "after" shows?

No.  I couldn't watch The Talking Dead.  I'd give this a shot though just to see what it's about since it's my favorite show on TV.  If it's actual discussion regarding the show then it might be interesting since this is a show that actually has a lot to discuss and digest, but if it's going to be bad jokes and uninteresting commentary then I'll pass.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3349 on: April 10, 2016, 07:53:10 PM »
Watching the red carpet premiere live of fb, Sansa is smoking hot..
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3350 on: April 11, 2016, 06:40:31 AM »

Yes, yes she is.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3351 on: April 11, 2016, 08:49:32 AM »

Yes, yes she is.

Yup, she has grown into a beauty.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3352 on: April 11, 2016, 11:58:28 AM »
Sophie Turner was at a red carpet in Italy for the premiere of Season 4, along with Maisie Williams and Liam Cunningham, too bad I couldn't take a picture with her, it was just too crowded! At least I have a pic with Ser Davos, hehe!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3353 on: April 11, 2016, 11:59:42 AM »

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3354 on: April 11, 2016, 12:03:08 PM »
I'd like to have "fun" with her red carpet   ;D

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3355 on: April 11, 2016, 12:41:56 PM »
No one'd better hurt Pod!

Tyrion is always Tyrion, which is a good thing I guess. Love the "Make no mistake, the dead are coming" from Davos. Also Jaimie quipping about the gods killing more people than humans.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3356 on: April 11, 2016, 01:02:45 PM »

Tyrion is always Tyrion, which is a good thing I guess. Love the "Make no mistake, the dead are coming" from Davos. Also Jaimie quipping about the gods killing more people than humans.

Yea, some good lines in that trailer.  I also liked seeing more of the Night's King.  I wonder if we get more scenes with the white walkers, as in on their own like the first scene we got a couple seasons ago with the White Walker bringing craster's son to them.  I'd imagine they get to the wall this season.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3357 on: April 11, 2016, 03:22:27 PM »
:lol That bit got me pretty cross as well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3358 on: April 11, 2016, 05:03:46 PM »
Godamnit GoT is getting tense.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3359 on: April 18, 2016, 07:44:33 AM »
Finished watching season 4 last night, need to see if I can get through season 5 this week.

One thing I noticed, this show throws lots of hints right out in the open that get over looked because it doesn't seem like anything important.

Such as Littlefinger telling Sansa... "some people die squatting on their chamber pots" and then a couple episodes later that is where Tywin dies.

There are lots of theories from book readers specifically that think the Hound will be back.  We didn't see him die.  One of his last words on my rewatch were "Im going to die unless there is a maester behind those bushes"  and I am honestly thinking there just may have been one and that was GoT throwing their lines out there that seem meaningless but is actually a hint.