Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 485907 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #6125 on: March 20, 2020, 08:32:19 PM »
Doom 64 just released on for 5 bucks. I loved the original doom games but never got to play 64, but its pretty damn good.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:40:14 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6126 on: March 20, 2020, 09:13:44 PM »
Animal Crossing: New Horizons feels like I'm 12 again playing the original GameCube version, but updated for modern times. I say that because there was almost zero learning curve; I hopped right in and new immediately what it was about, what to do, how to make money quickly etc. - but that's a great thing. Animal Crossing has a template that just works, and it's been 17 years since I've played it on a console (good lord I feel old saying that) 'cause I never played the Wii one. Already paid off my moving fees, got a house that will be built tomorrow  :lol and I've made 70k bells. Gonna keep making bank on fishing.

The soundtrack, btw... this chill acoustic guitar stuff with the ocean waves is incredibly peaceful. Most serene AC by far, I highly recommend this game if anyone just wants to relax  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6127 on: March 20, 2020, 09:16:14 PM »
I somehow never got in to Animal Crossing and I've been a Nintendo guy since NES.

Enjoying Ori and the Blind Forest, not really sure what is going on with the story, but the platforming is fun and it is visually and musically beautiful.

Scrolling back a page, 2 thought:

* I hate reading when someone posts something about RDR2 because I think it's about Star Wars
* I would have sworn I did a top video games list, but it's not in that main Top 25 List thread. And I can't find it through the search function. Weird.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 11:31:43 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6128 on: March 21, 2020, 08:56:34 PM »
I'm not a multiplayer gamer whatsoever. But already this Animal Crossing is blowing my mind. I've seen 8, 9 people at a time on my friends list playing AC which is amazing, and most of them have visited my island. I've never had a multiplayer experience with AC before despite the focus on playing with multiple people - except when my little brother played in my town in 2003-04 - but this is just really heartwarming and fun to see. All day I've just left my Switch on even when I'm not playing, so people can visit and leave messages etc. It's nice to see so many of my friends playing Nintendo stuff, when I usually am the person who's playing alone with nobody else playing a Nintendo console. AC rules. Wholesome fun. :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6129 on: March 22, 2020, 07:04:39 AM »
I really want to pick up animal crossing, so many people rave about it but I've never played an AC and I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it. Hrmm decisions. ..

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6130 on: March 23, 2020, 03:26:29 PM »
Anyone playing that COD Warzone tonight?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6131 on: March 23, 2020, 03:38:12 PM »
Maybe later, after I get home from work and do my RDR2 daily challenges

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6132 on: March 23, 2020, 03:48:07 PM »
Played the RE3 remake demo.  It's not much different than RE2 as far as the controls go.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6133 on: March 23, 2020, 03:51:07 PM »
Animal Crossing is pretty fun and is meant to be played with many others online. Of course you don't have to, but its a big part of the game itself.

Had fun with Katt on his Island. Way better than mine, although my house is built now. I need more switch friends to play this game. Overall I'm enjoying it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6134 on: March 23, 2020, 04:57:31 PM »
I've always thought of AC as my little getaway world where things like misplacing your favorite shirt are the biggest problems to deal with. It's been really relaxing this past weekend on my island paradise  :lol

One of my friends has a fancy toilet right on the beach.  :rollin

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6135 on: March 23, 2020, 05:10:07 PM »
I've always thought of AC as my little getaway world where things like misplacing your favorite shirt are the biggest problems to deal with. It's been really relaxing this past weekend on my island paradise  :lol

Haha yeah. I have to catch and fish a ton to get mileage points for the Nook Ticket to get Iron Ores to open the store.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6136 on: March 23, 2020, 05:15:54 PM »

Haha yeah. I have to catch and fish a ton to get mileage points for the Nook Ticket to get Iron Ores to open the store.

The feedback loop from those Nook Miles islands is real. I keep telling myself I'll visit just one more... next thing I know it's 1 AM. BTW, when you're on those islands, you can catch a sturgeon which is worth 10k bells on its own. It's a big boi, I caught mine where the river meets the sea. I might hit the second upgrade for the house tonight. I've been going hard  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6137 on: March 23, 2020, 05:48:11 PM »

The feedback loop from those Nook Miles islands is real. I keep telling myself I'll visit just one more... next thing I know it's 1 AM. BTW, when you're on those islands, you can catch a sturgeon which is worth 10k bells on its own. It's a big boi, I caught mine where the river meets the sea. I might hit the second upgrade for the house tonight. I've been going hard  :lol

I actually caught an Oarfish. Might sell it later or save it till I really need too. Don't know how much those are worth.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6138 on: March 23, 2020, 06:33:13 PM »
Dude those are rare and worth a crapton. That's insane you caught one already. :2metal:

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6139 on: March 23, 2020, 07:36:21 PM »
Unfortunately I don't think Animal Crossing is my jam.

I just bought Doom 2016. Eternal looks really amazing, but I decided to go with the first one and check out Eternal later.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6140 on: March 23, 2020, 08:03:36 PM »
Dude those are rare and worth a crapton. That's insane you caught one already. :2metal:

I caught it this morning in the sea. I was like holy hell an Oarfish. Also caught a Football(Soccer) Fish.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6141 on: March 23, 2020, 08:29:39 PM »

I just bought Doom 2016. Eternal looks really amazing, but I decided to go with the first one and check out Eternal later.

That was a very good game. I was thinking of reinstalling it but then I'd be tempted to get Doom Eternal. Don't want to spend the money right now.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #6142 on: March 25, 2020, 07:48:59 AM »
Well I beat Dark Souls! Managed to record me beating every boss except the Centipede Demon, and a few extras/DLC. Second half of the game wasn't as strong as the first, a lot of areas just felt super tedious in their design but here is me beating the final boss!

https://youtu.be/OuInv0ft44s

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6143 on: March 25, 2020, 03:06:17 PM »
Yea i'm downloading it tomorrow. After playing Escape from Tarkov for a while and especially after so many bad raids lately I need something less tense, my nerves can only take so much.

I also just got State of Decay 2, I felt an urge for some zombie survival.

I bought State of Decay 2 as well. I have not played much of it but so far, it's very similar to the first game which is fine by me.
I never played the first game but I enjoy it alot. What cracks me up is how damn positive strangers are at eachother, the dialogues are so damn chessy.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6144 on: March 26, 2020, 09:47:39 AM »

That was a very good game. I was thinking of reinstalling it but then I'd be tempted to get Doom Eternal. Don't want to spend the money right now.

I am enjoying Doom 2016 a lot, I get why the game and now it's sequel are getting so much buzz.

I also love it is kind of a horror game where you are the horror, moreso than all those monsters thrown at you.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #6145 on: March 27, 2020, 08:20:08 AM »
I'm about 70% of the way through Horizon Zero Dawn. Really fun an original game. I've been holding off on the main story missions and have pretty much unlocked the whole map.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6146 on: March 27, 2020, 07:19:44 PM »
On a whim, I decided to download Settlers IV for a nostalgia fix. I am reminded that some games should probably stay in the past.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6147 on: March 27, 2020, 08:18:06 PM »
Speaking of past. I don't know if I'm the only one this happens to but when I decide to revisit a game I haven't played in say 10+ years it always looks worse then I remember. I feel like my brain applies modern day graphics on old games, or my imagination was way better back then.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6148 on: March 27, 2020, 10:19:31 PM »
Speaking of past. I don't know if I'm the only one this happens to but when I decide to revisit a game I haven't played in say 10+ years it always looks worse then I remember. I feel like my brain applies modern day graphics on old games, or my imagination was way better back then.

No doubt. I remember playing Independence Day on Sega Saturn and thinking that it looked like the movie. I went back a few years ago, and it was laughably terrible in every regard.

Even more recent stuff feels that way. Even something like Grand Theft Auto IV looks meh when you really start looking around. I remember Gran Turismo 3 being the most mind numbingly beautiful game ever, and that was on. 4:3 720p screen. It looks so dated today.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6149 on: March 27, 2020, 10:49:45 PM »
I'm about 70% of the way through Horizon Zero Dawn. Really fun an original game. I've been holding off on the main story missions and have pretty much unlocked the whole map.

I had a blast with it during the winter.  Just finished the main mission of Spider-Man... now being the completionist I am, I'm doing all the loose ends.  Then maybe some DLC.

Then on to GoW4
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6150 on: March 28, 2020, 04:57:45 AM »

No doubt. I remember playing Independence Day on Sega Saturn and thinking that it looked like the movie. I went back a few years ago, and it was laughably terrible in every regard.

Even more recent stuff feels that way. Even something like Grand Theft Auto IV looks meh when you really start looking around. I remember Gran Turismo 3 being the most mind numbingly beautiful game ever, and that was on. 4:3 720p screen. It looks so dated today.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6151 on: March 28, 2020, 05:39:22 AM »
It's because of that that I've always preferred a good art style to art design. A lot of those games that try to have realistic or gritty visuals don't age very well (there are a lot of noteworthy exceptions to this). Yet you look at Zelda: Wind Waker which came out in 2003 and even the original still looks amazing today. It's crazy how ugly a lot of those PS3 games look these days (and a big part of that is due to the obsession with washing out all the colors and making everything this dingy gray-brown palette that took over for a few years).

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6152 on: March 29, 2020, 06:03:58 AM »
I'm currently playing through Halo 2 again on the MCC release and it's funny to toggle between the original and remastered graphics in-game and especially cutscenes.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6153 on: March 30, 2020, 11:16:03 AM »
I got bored yesterday and decided to play my PS4. I got looking at the installed games and saw Ratchet & Clank. I'd downloaded it a couple of years ago for my grandson to play but after a few hours he told me that it was too hard and he didn't like it. I decided to give it a whirl and had a great time. The humor really set well with me and the game play is fun and simple to pick up. In a few places it was pretty challenging but not rage inducing.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6154 on: March 30, 2020, 12:25:49 PM »

This!!!!

I loved Star Wars Dark Forces, and I remember it being a cooler, better "drawn" first person shooter a la Doom.  I downloaded it for the xBox and ended up deleting it.  It was like Minecraft (and the controls were whack). 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6155 on: March 30, 2020, 09:23:12 PM »
Dark Forces was the tits back when it came out!

Speaking of past. I don't know if I'm the only one this happens to but when I decide to revisit a game I haven't played in say 10+ years it always looks worse then I remember.

So yeah, any and every N64 game.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6156 on: March 31, 2020, 05:31:02 AM »
I missed Dark Forces I, but holy shit did I love Dark Forces II (Jedi Knight) and its sequel Jedi Outcast.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6157 on: March 31, 2020, 05:34:23 AM »

Speaking of past. I don't know if I'm the only one this happens to but when I decide to revisit a game I haven't played in say 10+ years it always looks worse then I remember.

So yeah, any and every N64 game.

PS1 hasn't aged any better. Time has not been kind to the first 3D gen  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6158 on: March 31, 2020, 05:43:19 AM »

Fuck yeah it was.  That final boss was a righteous bitch to beat.  I don't recall playing DF II.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6159 on: March 31, 2020, 06:26:31 AM »

Fuck yeah it was.  That final boss was a righteous bitch to beat.  I don't recall playing DF II.

For DF II, imagine all the great gameplay of part one, but better graphics, the addition of lightsabers/force powers, huge sprawling levels with verticality, a soundtrack that is the exact music/sound effects from the movies and a robust story with actual live action actors.

I think I like it better than the sequels (despite them have better gameplay)