Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024: Playoff Time. Hello Darkness.....  (Read 28968 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: NHL 2023-2024: Playoff Time. Hello Darkness.....
« Reply #980 on: May 01, 2024, 05:23:58 AM »
See: my avatar.

Some guy with a Yankees hat?

The guy does look familiar but I can't place him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #981 on: May 01, 2024, 05:49:59 AM »
Some guy with a Yankees hat?

The guy does look familiar but I can't place him.

Well, yeah but ... my ususal avatar.  Team-America Kim Jong-Il.  But since the movie was from the mid-2000s, I'd not expect you to get the reference.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #982 on: May 01, 2024, 06:27:14 AM »
is that current one Brian Denehy?  What's the significance of that?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #983 on: May 01, 2024, 06:36:32 AM »
is that current one Brian Denehy?  What's the significance of that?

That's who I was thinking of, but somehow I didn't think it was him.

Oh, and Brian Denehy FTW!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #984 on: May 01, 2024, 07:20:29 AM »
That's who I was thinking of, but somehow I didn't think it was him.

Oh, and Brian Denehy FTW!!

Close ... Brian Keith as "Hardcastle".  As a nod for Indi during his roulette.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #985 on: May 01, 2024, 07:25:10 AM »
The dad from Family Affair. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: May 01, 2024, 07:27:51 AM »
That too.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #987 on: May 01, 2024, 08:27:20 AM »
Brian Keith, Brian Denehy.  It's like Dermott Mulroney and Dylan McDermott.  They're all interchangeable.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #988 on: May 01, 2024, 09:06:23 AM »
The dad from Family Affair.

That's right. Yeah. I knew it was a show like My Three Sons or something like that.

Why does Chad have that guy as his avatar?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #989 on: May 01, 2024, 09:15:51 AM »

That's right. Yeah. I knew it was a show like My Three Sons or something like that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcastle_and_McCormick
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online pg1067

« Reply #991 on: May 01, 2024, 10:09:23 AM »
Brian Keith, Brian Denehy.  It's like Dermott Mulroney and Dylan McDermott.  They're all interchangeable.

Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGqSn5Cnw74

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcastle_and_McCormick

I'm sure I watched a few episodes back in the day, but reading the premise of that show just made me literally laugh out loud!

On topic...as I watch the game tonight, I'll take solace that the Kings won't be one of the first teams out of the playoffs (even if only by virtue of scheduling).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: May 01, 2024, 11:57:26 AM »

Indi referenced Hardcastle & McCormick several times in the earlier 'Scenes from his Memory' posts, and with the race theme of his roulette, I thought it to be most appropriate.  The Coyote X from that series was one of the more iconic vehicles from film and television out of the 80s.  Not that you'd know  ;) :-* :P

Offline billboy73

« Reply #993 on: May 01, 2024, 12:10:46 PM »
The Hurricanes get through the first round.  Now bring on that other team from New York!  This will be an interesting series.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #994 on: May 01, 2024, 09:13:44 PM »
The remainder of the Nashville/Vancouver series should be interesting especially with the Vancouver goalie situation. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: May 01, 2024, 11:01:40 PM »
If I'm the owner of the Kings, I'm petitioning the league to move the franchise somewhere out of the Pacific. 

I gather next year, they'll get swept by the Oil in Round 1?? (lost in 7 games two years ago; 6 last year; 5 this year).

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #996 on: May 01, 2024, 11:10:43 PM »
^^ This team is going backwards when going against the Oilers, which is pretty bad and this coaching staff and GM staff just doesn't have what it takes to build a team to beat the Oilers in the playoffs.  We've seen it 3 years in a row and that is enough for me.

Anywho, here's my personal wishlist for the offseason for the Kings.

Lock Byfield at 7M x 7.  If he's asking for PLD money, just give it to him.

Find a way to get rid of PLD's contract if the team cannot find a well-defined role for him.  If they have to retain $1M-1.5M for the remaining 7 years and it costs at most a 1st round pick, do it.  Buying out that contract is not ideal (since it will last 14 years!!!), but....., if they are going to play him at bottom 6 minutes, just don't bother having him on the roster.

Matt Roy:  Like the guy a lot, but he should chase the big money in FA.  Let's see what the Kings have with Doughty, Spence, and Clarke on the right side on a regular basis.

Arvidsson:  Like the guy as well, but unless he takes a $2M AAV with a $2M performance bonus for next year, he can chase the big bucks with someone else in FA.

Lizotte/Grundstrom: If any team is looking to trade good picks for them for the signing rights, do it.  Otherwise, give them the QO.  Don't give them a lengthy extension.

That being said, Turcotte, Fagemo, and Akil Thomas needs to be regular NHL players at this point if all are healthy.  Ride or die with more of a youth movement.  This may cost the team points in the standings, but holy butts, unless the Oilers win the Pacific, I want the Kings to be nowhere near the vicinity of facing the Oilers ever again.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 12:40:22 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #997 on: May 02, 2024, 06:41:16 AM »
If I'm the owner of the Kings, I'm petitioning the league to move the franchise somewhere out of the Pacific. 

I gather next year, they'll get swept by the Oil in Round 1?? (lost in 7 games two years ago; 6 last year; 5 this year).

To be fair,  this Oilers team is also the deepest they've been since the 80s. I don't think it was a case of LA declining.

Online pg1067

« Reply #998 on: May 02, 2024, 10:28:20 AM »
To be fair,  this Oilers team is also the deepest they've been since the 80s. I don't think it was a case of LA declining.

I probably said this last year (and maybe even the year before), but if Edmonton plays like they did against the Kings throughout the playoffs, you should clear your calendar for a mid-June parade.

^^ This team is going backwards when going against the Oilers, which is pretty bad and this coaching staff and GM staff just doesn't have what it takes to build a team to beat the Oilers in the playoffs.  We've seen it 3 years in a row and that is enough for me.

Anywho, here's my personal wishlist for the offseason for the Kings.

Lock Byfield at 7M x 7.  If he's asking for PLD money, just give it to him.

Find a way to get rid of PLD's contract if the team cannot find a well-defined role for him.  If they have to retain $1M-1.5M for the remaining 7 years and it costs at most a 1st round pick, do it.  Buying out that contract is not ideal (since it will last 14 years!!!), but....., if they are going to play him at bottom 6 minutes, just don't bother having him on the roster.

Matt Roy:  Like the guy a lot, but he should chase the big money in FA.  Let's see what the Kings have with Doughty, Spence, and Clarke on the right side on a regular basis.

Arvidsson:  Like the guy as well, but unless he takes a $2M AAV with a $2M performance bonus for next year, he can chase the big bucks with someone else in FA.

Lizotte/Grundstrom: If any team is looking to trade good picks for them for the signing rights, do it.  Otherwise, give them the QO.  Don't give them a lengthy extension.

That being said, Turcotte, Fagemo, and Akil Thomas needs to be regular NHL players at this point if all are healthy.  Ride or die with more of a youth movement.  This may cost the team points in the standings, but holy butts, unless the Oilers win the Pacific, I want the Kings to be nowhere near the vicinity of facing the Oilers ever again.

I think I agree about Byfield, but....  His production drought at the end of the season is a concern.  Only one goal over the last 28 regular season games.  He's just about the only guy on the roster with real size, but he seemed afraid to use it against Edmonton.  I was super high on him during the first half of the season, but he seemed to decline toward the end.

Size, speed and goaltending are the biggest issues.  With zero goalies under contract and nearly $3M in cap space tied up for Ivan Provorov and Mike Frickin' Richards (a guy who hasn't set foot on an NHL rink in nearly a decade!), it seems like a fine time to blow the whole thing up, but with the scuttlebutt being that Blake is likely to return, I'm not sure if that's likely to happen.  Maybe the best we can hope for is a Tortorella type guy to stand behind the bench.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #999 on: May 02, 2024, 08:44:53 PM »
Well, it's written like it is in the scripts.  3-1 Bruins.  Leafs are able to win two straight games to force a game 7 in Boston.  Now let's see what funny business transpires this time around.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1000 on: May 02, 2024, 10:14:46 PM »
Well, it's written like it is in the scripts.  3-1 Bruins.  Leafs are able to win two straight games to force a game 7 in Boston.  Now let's see what funny business transpires this time around.

I feel the Nashville/Vancouver series will be going to a game 7 after tomorrows game  in Nashville.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: May 03, 2024, 03:28:47 AM »
I'm going to be in Florida tomorrow night.  Hopefully the hotel room has ESPN or whoever is broadcasting it in the US.  God help me if I have to listen to Jack-fucking-Edwards on the call.

I still fully expect to be disappointed.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1002 on: May 03, 2024, 03:39:39 AM »
Lol. Florida won't have the Boston broadcast. Besides,  it's Jack's last game ever.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: May 03, 2024, 03:41:29 AM »
I'll say this... the Leafs won't be able to count on Boston starting the game playing like ass for a 3 game in a row.  Last night, they were fucking brutal for the first 30 minutes.  Yes, the Leafs blocked like 8-10 shots in the first period, but man alive... 1 SOG in the first period!?!?!

And it really is a game of inches.  Swayman made a couple of saves that were just off the tip of his glove/blocker, and Woll also had one that just caught the corner of his pad.  1 inch up/down/left/right, and this game is a different story.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: May 03, 2024, 03:42:49 AM »
Lol. Florida won't have the Boston broadcast. Besides,  it's Jack's last game ever.

That's what I'm worried about ... ESPN picking up the NESN feed!   :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: May 03, 2024, 04:15:36 AM »
This sniffs like 2013 all over again.

Something's gotta give on Saturday.... Bs have lost 5 straight close-out games; Leafs have lost 4 straight Game 7s at TD Garden.  I'm not liking the Leafs' chances.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1006 on: May 03, 2024, 04:37:36 AM »
Brian, and I feel the same way about game 7 as you do ,Chad.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1007 on: May 03, 2024, 08:22:05 AM »
I'll say this... the Leafs won't be able to count on Boston starting the game playing like ass for a 3 game in a row.  Last night, they were fucking brutal for the first 30 minutes.  Yes, the Leafs blocked like 8-10 shots in the first period, but man alive... 1 SOG in the first period!?!?!

And it really is a game of inches.  Swayman made a couple of saves that were just off the tip of his glove/blocker, and Woll also had one that just caught the corner of his pad.  1 inch up/down/left/right, and this game is a different story.

For as much as the broadcast was swooning over Woll, on what was effectively a shutout, they should not have been. That was a great team defensive effort. Woll was good, but he left a lot of stuff loose that he should not have. The team made sure it didn't come back to bite them.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1008 on: May 03, 2024, 09:10:44 AM »

Why?  NESN won't have any games after this round, or are you predicting they lose?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1009 on: May 03, 2024, 09:12:53 AM »
Local broadcasts can only host playoff games for Round 1.  After that, it's only exclusive to TNT/ESPN/Sportsnet, the national networks.  Regardless of how Game 7 goes, this will be the last game for NESN for the season and ergo, this will be Jack Edward's final game to call.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1010 on: May 03, 2024, 09:13:37 AM »
For as much as the broadcast was swooning over Woll, on what was effectively a shutout, they should not have been. That was a great team defensive effort. Woll was good, but he left a lot of stuff loose that he should not have. The team made sure it didn't come back to bite them.

I agree. I mentioned it last night that the Leafs’ D was strong on front of their own net big time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: May 03, 2024, 09:15:50 AM »
Local broadcasts can only host playoff games for Round 1.  After that, it's only exclusive to TNT/ESPN/Sportsnet, the national networks.  Regardless of how Game 7 goes, this will be the last game for NESN for the season and ergo, this will be Jack Edward's final game to call.

DraftKings has the line on whether Stadler cries at -150. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: May 03, 2024, 10:22:31 AM »
Actually, the game on Saturday is national (on ABC), so last night was Jack's last game.  Unless NESN still has local broadcast rights?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1013 on: May 03, 2024, 10:28:22 AM »
Oh...., well that's lame.  I wanted to see if he can get one more big infamous call in a Bruins/Leafs Game 7.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-bruins/2024/05/02/jack-edwards-boston-bruins-nesn-retirement-maple-leafs/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: May 03, 2024, 10:52:55 AM »
Actually, the game on Saturday is national (on ABC), so last night was Jack's last game.  Unless NESN still has local broadcast rights?

Dammit; genuinely sad I missed it.   I don't think he currently does, but he used to live in the next town over, and was often seen around town.  I had always hoped to say hello, but alas that's probably not going to happen.