Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 121406 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #3185 on: May 03, 2024, 09:39:58 AM »
Not really.  I still haven't heard a single song from her I believe.

About 6 months ago, she started dating a high-profile football player.  As a result, she's not only all over music media, she's also all over sports media.  Not her fault, but still....you CANNOT "just ignore it."  Like I said, I've heard (AFAIK) one song.  It was vapid garbage, but whatever.  I don't seek out her music and don't listen to music radio (at all, much less a station that would play her).  HOWEVER, when I turn on my TV, she's on the home page because she's got some streaming special.  When I look at Facebook, the page for AM 570 L.A. Sports (my local sports talk radio station) has a post about where Mr. Kelce and Ms. Swift went for dinner last night (the station's social media page seems to be run by some 22-year old who doesn't understand what "L.A." and "sports" mean, but that's a different issue).  It's the overexposure that bugs the crap out of me.  And, again, it's not (all) her fault.  I'm not mad at her.  But it's a thing that exists, and I can't "just ignore it" (unless I go completely off the grid).

Who is Taylor Swift

Tim??
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #3186 on: May 03, 2024, 10:13:18 AM »
Who is Tim?

Also have you guys ever heard of this band Helloween?

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3187 on: May 03, 2024, 10:38:17 AM »
(except Radiohead)

Exactly. Everyone gets to have one that gets under their skin and pisses them off. I'm just unlucky enough in my case for it to be the one everyone obsesses over parasocially, lol. And again, this is all coming from someone who actually likes some of her albums and has seen her live before. I'm not just a blind hater, I listen to everything before passing judgement
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3188 on: May 03, 2024, 10:51:22 AM »
Exactly. Everyone gets to have one that gets under their skin and pisses them off. I'm just unlucky enough in my case for it to be the one everyone obsesses over parasocially, lol. And again, this is all coming from someone who actually likes some of her albums and has seen her live before. I'm not just a blind hater, I listen to everything before passing judgement

Well, I'm joking, it's a running joke about me and Radiohead.  Even them, though, while I don't like their music (and I think they're pretentious hypocrites) I'm never going to question why YOU like them.  Any real substantive criticisms I have aren't necessarily about them; that they're in the RnRHoF and Phil Collins, Robert Fripp (either as KC or otherwise), Iron Maiden, and Ronnie Dio are not isn't Radiohead's fault, it's the Rolling Stone assholes' fault.

« Reply #3189 on: May 03, 2024, 10:57:31 AM »
Wait, Radiohead is in the RnRHOF??? WTF that is a crime

I'm with you, I don't really like them much either, though I love In Rainbows

EDIT: Also, FWIW, I don't question why people like TS, I get it. It's accessible. I just find it pretty low-effort (usually, again she has some legit bangers) and also I really wish people would branch out more. It feels like she has an effect on people where they get so obsessed with her that they ignore other music. So I find her reinforcing bad listening tendencies with her fans as well. As a single person on the apps, 90% of the dates I go on the other person is only listening to TS. Nothing. But. Makes it hard to connect with people when they are singularly obsessed with a pop star. But yeah, "low-effort" is the only description I have of her post Folklore/Evermore output. And that's fine, people love low-effort stuff all the time (Star Wars, MCU, etc.). Thankfully most MCU/Star Wars people have other things going on in their lives other than endlessly talking about it, though
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 11:06:34 AM by TheHoveringSojourn808 »
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3190 on: May 03, 2024, 11:15:03 AM »
Personally I'm very familiar with all of Taylor's music, my wife is a huge fan and has her stuff playing all the time, hell, I think Lover a great record. I'm just exhausted of hearing about her and her music, I fully appreciate that it's not her fault in that regard. Come home TSwift is playing, go to work, TSwift is playing, go to a store, yup, TSwift, turn on nightly news and there she is, turn on espn boom Taylor (although this is better now that it's the off-season).

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3191 on: May 03, 2024, 12:08:40 PM »
Personally I'm very familiar with all of Taylor's music, my wife is a huge fan and has her stuff playing all the time, hell, I think Lover a great record. I'm just exhausted of hearing about her and her music, I fully appreciate that it's not her fault in that regard. Come home TSwift is playing, go to work, TSwift is playing, go to a store, yup, TSwift, turn on nightly news and there she is, turn on espn boom Taylor (although this is better now that it's the off-season).

Yup, it's not the music, it's the level of saturation.

I was happy to go on Taylor-agnostic or Taylor-liking, even, until things got weird (no surprise, over COVID, when the parasocial relationships people have with influencers started to get weird!)

Awhile ago, Kev posted a poll that asked people if they "liked" Taylor Swift, and like 70% of the people answered "Yes". At the time, I thought, "sure, I'd say the same thing. I *like* her. It's not great, but I don't dislike it, and some of it is nice!"

These days, I'd answer the same question "NO!", because of the over saturation. Again, I could do with - or without - Taylor for a long time. But when something is so oversaturated, I feel the need to push back.

And that's normal... we can criticize popular things. We talk about how Louis Armstrong was "basic", Bob Dylan wasn't a good singer, how Lil Wayne made a fool of himself playing guitar, how Kurt Cobain was pretty bad at guitar.

I understand why Taylor is so popular, which is why I feel no problem pointing out the things worth of criticism that, in fact, lots of people are starting to point out, like her seemingly narrow artistic vision and her limited lyricism. I get that it's all subjective.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3192 on: May 03, 2024, 12:12:12 PM »
Just give it time and the overexposure (which I agree is a thing) will calm down.  It's inevitable. 

A fan focusing on one artist/band is not exclusive to her or one genre.  Hell, I went through spells in the 90s where I wanted to listen to nothing but Dream Theater for months (same with Rush), and I have seen others here say before that they love DT so much that they don't want to listen to anything else.  It's a phase music lovers go through sometimes.  Not a big deal.

And since this is the exasperated thread, the people who charge into threads of artists they don't like just to say it are the (slight exaggeration) worst.  It's internet chest-pumping, like, "I have the right to my opinion and it MUST be heard over and over and over and over!"  I have taken pokes at Kiss over the years here, but I am pretty sure you can count on one hand the number of posts I have in threads dedicated to them (the number is likely 0) because I don't want to be a spoil sport for the fans who do like them and are chatting about them.  There is too much good music out there to talk about to waste time talking about bands/artists that do not appeal to me.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3193 on: May 03, 2024, 12:26:41 PM »
All excellent points.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3194 on: May 03, 2024, 01:45:33 PM »
A: Never heard more than a snipped of TS's music. I'm content with that. Nothing I'd rush out to listen to, but also highly inoffensive (and I do prefer my music to be offensive).

B: From what I've seen of her she seems like a pretty cool chick. Absolutely nothing against her personally. Easy on the eyes, too, when she's just being a normal gal.

C: The media really does seem a bit too infatuated with her. That said, if it's unavoidable it probably has more to do with your exposure to the media. In my case her crossover with the NFL is the only thing that really bugs me, and more importantly, the connection between her and our lord and saviour Patrick Mahomes. That's reaching critical mass territory of "superstardom."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3195 on: May 03, 2024, 02:00:18 PM »
A: Never heard more than a snipped of TS's music. I'm content with that. Nothing I'd rush out to listen to, but also highly inoffensive (and I do prefer my music to be offensive).

B: From what I've seen of her she seems like a pretty cool chick. Absolutely nothing against her personally. Easy on the eyes, too, when she's just being a normal gal.

C: The media really does seem a bit too infatuated with her. That said, if it's unavoidable it probably has more to do with your exposure to the media. In my case her crossover with the NFL is the only thing that really bugs me, and more importantly, the connection between her and our lord and saviour Patrick Mahomes. That's reaching critical mass territory of "superstardom."

Basically how I feel.  It's really a non issue for me but maybe if say my gf was into her and always playing her music and I hated it, I may feel differently.  Instead, the reality is I have like heard one song and have listtened to the Dragonforce cover way more (which I quite enjoy and am not familiar with the original version).  Dragonforce - Wildest Dreams (Taylor Swift) LIVE @ Palladium Times Square New York City NY 11/3/2023

The NFL stuff is the most "annoying" because if you followed the playoffs last year, there was no avoidance of it.  But once again, it hardly bothered me then, but I can understand the frustration.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3196 on: May 03, 2024, 02:04:33 PM »
Wait, Radiohead is in the RnRHOF??? WTF that is a crime

I'm with you, I don't really like them much either, though I love In Rainbows

EDIT: Also, FWIW, I don't question why people like TS, I get it. It's accessible. I just find it pretty low-effort (usually, again she has some legit bangers) and also I really wish people would branch out more. It feels like she has an effect on people where they get so obsessed with her that they ignore other music. So I find her reinforcing bad listening tendencies with her fans as well. As a single person on the apps, 90% of the dates I go on the other person is only listening to TS. Nothing. But. Makes it hard to connect with people when they are singularly obsessed with a pop star. But yeah, "low-effort" is the only description I have of her post Folklore/Evermore output. And that's fine, people love low-effort stuff all the time (Star Wars, MCU, etc.). Thankfully most MCU/Star Wars people have other things going on in their lives other than endlessly talking about it, though

But you're making my point for me.  Who are you to say those things?  We've got a guy here - who I like and respect, to the extent we've talked here - that listens ONLY to DT.  Is that bad?  Do DT reinforce bad listening tendencies?   My kid is a fan of Queen, Fleetwood Mac and Harry Styles as well.  I'm not sure what "bad listening habits" she endeavors.  You're not explaining why YOU don't like it ("I don't listen to music that doesn't have a strong melody"), you're explaining why SHE (or her music) is deficient.  There's a huge difference.  Find me a post ANYWHERE on this site where - other than Radiohead, where I might be joking - where I've said an artist SUCKS, or is "low effort", or breeds bad listening habits.

I realize that several of you have said that, but all this exasperation has NOTHING to do with Taylor Swift (other than her continued presence in the game).  This is a complaint about our culture, and the incessant need to feed the beast and beat the dead horse once it's fed.   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 02:34:19 PM by Stadler »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3197 on: May 03, 2024, 02:14:38 PM »
I just find it pretty low-effort (usually, again she has some legit bangers) and also I really wish people would branch out more. It feels like she has an effect on people where they get so obsessed with her that they ignore other music. So I find her reinforcing bad listening tendencies with her fans as well.

WTF? This is fucking WildRanger on steroids shit.

As a single person on the apps...

:lol

Sorry, I don't mean to laugh but that struck me funny.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

« Reply #3198 on: May 03, 2024, 02:20:12 PM »
Nice... stooping to personal shots. Real mature of you. You can disagree with me all you want but that's totally unnecessary. I was going to write a post responding back to Stadler since he is actually capable of disagreement/debate without being a child, but you just bringing it there anyway even though you aren't involved just leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Have a nice day, y'all ✌️
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 02:25:24 PM by TheHoveringSojourn808 »
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3199 on: May 03, 2024, 02:25:16 PM »
Nice... stooping to personal shots. Real mature of you. You can disagree with me all you want but that's totally unnecessary

It's not a personal shot. At all, actually. There's just ..I don't know.

I'm older so I think the whole dating apps is an..interesting way to meet people. I probably prejudge the whole thing as being unrealistic in the first place.

If 90%....is that 9 out of 10? 45 out of 50?...that seems kind of high and comes off as exaggerated.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3200 on: May 03, 2024, 02:35:19 PM »
Wow, the troll couldn't take a lol  :lol and added a personal shot at stadler while complaining about it

...but yeah, like EVERYONE meets their SO on apps these days.  I don't know the number but something like 8 or 9 out of 10 seems legit. Myself included and basically everyone I know who met their SO in the last 5-10 years.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3201 on: May 03, 2024, 02:38:20 PM »
Wow, the troll couldn't take a lol  :lol and added a personal shot at stadler while complaining about it

...but yeah, like EVERYONE meets their SO on apps these days.  I don't know the number but something like 8 or 9 out of 10 seems legit. Myself included and basically everyone I know who met their SO in the last 5-10 years.

That's crazy. It's almost inconceivable to me. But that's a me problem.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3202 on: May 03, 2024, 02:48:17 PM »
I met the current Mrs. Stadler on Match.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3203 on: May 03, 2024, 02:49:56 PM »
I met the current Mrs. Stadler on Match.

You too? :lol

OK, I'm gonna go lock myself in my box now. :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3204 on: May 03, 2024, 02:50:49 PM »
Met my wife on a Jewish dating app. No shame at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #3205 on: May 03, 2024, 02:50:57 PM »
and added a personal shot at stadler while complaining about it

Not sure what you're talking about? I did not take a personal shot at Stadler, if anything I complimented him. I respect him even though we disagree on this (and a few other things). And while my posts can be silly I never personally attack anyone or take shots at people who post here.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3206 on: May 03, 2024, 02:53:12 PM »
Met my wife on a Jewish dating app. No shame at all.

Nothing to be ashamed of.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3207 on: May 03, 2024, 04:31:32 PM »
So my wife's best friend growing up.You're not having a fist fight with your daughter.  Both are at fault well.Well the daughter who is thirty ninow had a baby and she asked us not to send anything to her mother and tell anybody else. We honored that.

Now her friend is pissed off at her.  I'm not saying anything.  I myself want to tear into her friend because she put us in this position.  It's not our fault that she physically fought her daughter.  Both of them have put us in a bad position. 

I'm about to go off on both of them and I don't give a shit.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3208 on: May 03, 2024, 05:02:33 PM »
That's crazy. It's almost inconceivable to me. But that's a me problem.

I'm agreeing with you again, but I agree.  I guess not needing to use them makes the whole thing more foreign to us but if I ended up single one day in the future, I'm still not sure I could go there.

EDIT:  Should state I in no way judge anyone regarding it, it obviously works.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3209 on: May 03, 2024, 05:33:47 PM »
Not sure what you're talking about? I did not take a personal shot at Stadler, if anything I complimented him. I respect him even though we disagree on this (and a few other things). And while my posts can be silly I never personally attack anyone or take shots at people who post here.

It appears I may have mis-read and thought you called Stadler a child.  My bad. My point still stands. You may call it silly, but we all know it's a joke just like TAC's response.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3210 on: May 03, 2024, 05:38:15 PM »
It appears I may have mis-read and thought you called Stadler a child.  My bad. My point still stands. You may call it silly, but we all know it's a joke just like TAC's response.

Yeah, I just read the line "as a single guy on the apps" and it gave me a chuckle. It wasn't that HoSo made it or was directed at him, I just thought it was funny.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3211 on: May 04, 2024, 05:34:20 PM »
So, at work today in our Floral Department, there was a display of bouquets and a sign that said "Happy Pet Parents Day".

WTF? Are we just making shit up now?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3212 on: May 04, 2024, 05:35:16 PM »
That's me bruh. Where's my bouquet? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3213 on: May 04, 2024, 07:36:31 PM »
Me too!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3214 on: May 04, 2024, 10:46:19 PM »
So, at work today in our Floral Department, there was a display of bouquets and a sign that said "Happy Pet Parents Day".

Well, yes. We're making shit up now. Just like we've been making shit up like Valentines day. And president's day. And Mother's day. And Christmas. And just around the corner Gay Indians Liberation Day. The store you work for lives for made up shit.

Here's the important thing, though. Who cares? Who cares if it's a made up holiday to sell 2 extra bouquets, or 17 more mattresses than a typical Monday? Yeah, some marketing scumbags think that you, T. A. C, are a gullible piece of lawn furniture. So what? It's really nothing new. Maybe if next Wednesday is Machete-wielding Enraged Colombian Day then you can raise hell about it. I might even join in with you. Pet parents? Yeah, I find it hard to object to these people. More of them would probably be a good thing. Bully to those guys, and for today they're the lawn furniture.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3215 on: May 05, 2024, 04:27:51 AM »
Well, yes. We're making shit up now. Just like we've been making shit up like Valentines day. And president's day. And Mother's day. And Christmas. And just around the corner Gay Indians Liberation Day. The store you work for lives for made up shit.

Here's the important thing, though. Who cares? Who cares if it's a made up holiday to sell 2 extra bouquets, or 17 more mattresses than a typical Monday? Yeah, some marketing scumbags think that you, T. A. C, are a gullible piece of lawn furniture. So what? It's really nothing new. Maybe if next Wednesday is Machete-wielding Enraged Colombian Day then you can raise hell about it. I might even join in with you. Pet parents? Yeah, I find it hard to object to these people. More of them would probably be a good thing. Bully to those guys, and for today they're the lawn furniture.

Machete- Wielding Enraged Colombian Day? :lol

I could sure live without Valentines Day I’ll give you that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3216 on: May 05, 2024, 04:43:03 AM »

What the fuck does this even mean?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3217 on: May 05, 2024, 05:00:39 AM »
People who don’t have children, but have pets.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3218 on: May 05, 2024, 05:19:01 AM »
Which is me. Though, I didn't know of this day.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3219 on: May 05, 2024, 05:31:42 AM »
Which is me. Though, I didn't know of this day.

Now you know!!!

Enjoy your day!  ;D