Poll

Do you have the self-discipline to stay away from the forum if you need to?

Yes
47 (75.8%)
No
13 (21%)
Other (explain)
2 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Self-Banning?  (Read 3523 times)

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
Re: Self-Banning?
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2012, 11:16:37 PM »
I can always quit addictions if I really want to. If you are really craving something, you just have to remind yourself that you are in control of your limbs, and I guess in this case you could force your limb not to click on DTF :p I've never been addicted to smoking or anything serious so maybe I wouldn't be able to quit then. But surely you just have to tell yourself NOT to reach for the pack of cigs. Just physically stop your arm from reaching out and grabbing them :p

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2012, 05:18:42 AM »
Like Bosk and others, depends on my level of activity with work.  Since I work from home, I have my home PC sitting right beside my work laptop (mostly to listen to music), but it's easy to just take a quick peek at DTF or FB and see what's going on, or make a quick post or two when I'm sitting here from 7am to 5pm.  Different story if I'm traveling, and on weekends, when I'm all over the place doing things, so not usually at a PC or iPad for too long. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2012, 06:11:26 AM »
 :omg: Wait....just realized if all the mods would start to go Psychosane and temp-ban themself, this site would just....just! 
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2012, 08:20:23 AM »
I was never able to put down drugs or booze on my own.  It was particularly bad with cocaine when I was in my late teens.  But for some strange reason I've always been able to muster enough self-control to keep most potentially bad social habits to within relatively healthy moderation.   

Moderation is the key, I think. 

Offline Ħ

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »
Guilty of the obsessive checking thing. I'm not OCD but I have obsessive habits. DTF is one of them. It's gotten better though. I've gotten a little busier and them helps keep me off the computer. Actually, one of my resolutions is to come here less. Perhaps only on Saturdays, or only in the morning. Not sure yet.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2012, 10:59:17 AM »
I didn't mean to infer that being addicted to the internet is as severe as alcoholism, Kirk; poor choice of words on my part. That said, no addiction should be taken lightly. I appreciate the fact that you're older than me and consequently more wise but please don't patronize me because of my age. I've had more than my fair share of dealing with alcoholism in the form of my insane mother, whose been drowning at the bottom of a wine bottle since I was born and still is to this day, except I've had the pleasure of getting the hell away from that. So while I can't sympathize with you about dealing with it internally, I know how serious it is and I know how much it can fuck up one's own and other people's lives.

Anyway, I meant no offense; clearly I took the topic more seriously than others would have.

Oh and moderation is always the key. With everything and anything.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2012, 11:09:28 AM »
Patronizing?  Hardly.  I'm JEALOUS!  :jets:

I wasted my youth on drugs/booze and prison.

You seem wise beyond your years.

:tup

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2012, 11:12:39 AM »
Oops... My bad, the smiley threw me (odd how that works out sometimes). I'm also on my period.

Thank you, kind sir.  :heart

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2012, 11:20:37 AM »
Look guys...I know what you're trying to do.  But you all need to understand that I CAN STOP ANY TIME I WANT TO.    I don't need one of your bourgeois "self bans" to moderate *MY* internet addic-- er---habit---er...I mean, ACTIVITY!   You guys are just jealous because YOU don't have the time available to you so that you can be like ME...checking my updates every thirty seconds...refreshing the screen all the time.   

NOT that I do it all the time....I just *feel* like doing it, that's all.

Anyway, I appreciate what you're trying to do...but I'm just saying that you guys ARE WAY out of line, and my internet addci----probl...ACTIVITY is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS and I'm only on here because I want to be...OK???   

NOW.....PISS OFF!!!!

;)

You are addicted to asterisks though.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2012, 11:22:24 AM »
Ban Me!
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2012, 11:25:09 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2012, 11:37:46 AM »
Found this:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2012, 12:29:47 PM »
I was never able to put down drugs or booze on my own.  It was particularly bad with cocaine when I was in my late teens.  But for some strange reason I've always been able to muster enough self-control to keep most potentially bad social habits to within relatively healthy moderation.   

Moderation is the key, I think.

My behavioral addictions are as bad as my chemical ones, and just as destructive. I pretty much need to wrap myself in recovery bubble wrap at this point.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2012, 02:30:26 PM »
I can stay away, regardless of what my postcount says.  Never felt the need for a "ban."  But if others think they need it, I am happy to oblige.  No skin off my dick.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2012, 02:37:45 PM »
No skin off my dick.

Like there exist a blade that could cut into the masterful beast anyways.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2012, 07:51:32 PM »
  Well this reply kind of 'ends' my own self ban but I can offer up the reason I chose to do so. And it has to do with what a lot of has been mentioned. I have the addictive personality that many of us appear to share...I'm 3 1/2 years sober from alcohol...5 years sober from habitual pot smoking. And that type of mentality and personality once introduced to the online world translated and manifested itself into me spending a lot of time on forums, mainly DTF and the purple place. 
  Don't get me wrong I enjoy(ed) it and want(ed) to participate...especially here at the DTF, the majority of the guys/gals here are pretty cool to converse with and the sense of community is very addictive in it's own. But I realized that the OCD in me was causing me to do what a few of you have mentioned...the constant refreshing and checking on threads I participated in...I mean over and over within minutes or even seconds of one another. Even with Facebook I was on that thing with my mobile phone non stop refreshing constantly to see if some chick I hadn't spoke to since high school had updated recently to let us know that she had gotten her afternoon laundry done or that she is so over the drama.
    And in my previous job I had the luxury of being able to churn out quality work while participating on the forums but the job I took about 6 months ago is quite different than that so in a way that was my methadone. I just don't have the time during the day now to participate. I mean, I PM'd TempusVox and asked him to delete my account totally because that's just how I do things. I had the Mod's over at the purple place delete my account and Barry you and a couple others here can probably recall I was pretty active there before the whol 'split' and craziness hit. My Facebook page is gone...basically I ended my online existance because it was just eating up too much of my time. All of which I suppose I could 'control'...but I couldn't control it.
   I cold turkey quit cigaretts and chewing tobacco 11 years ago and did the same with the weed and liquor. It really is extremes with me...so I essentially did the same thing with my online life. Thankfully Tempus messaged me back and told me he wouldn't delete my account that he didn't like to do that because I do still like the fact if I want to I can participate....like now. I 'lurk' non stop here and read stuff but until now hadn't really been compelled to participate but this seemed to be something that I could lend an opinion to.
   One more thing...Just to clarify, I don't think it's a 'bad' thing if someone spends a lot of time here or on other forums or online for that matter. I don't want to make it sound like people who choose to do so are 'wrong' or something like that. That's not the case at all. But for me personally at this point in my life I have three young kids...6,5 and 2 1/2....and any of my spare time needs to be dedicated to them and my wife. And there were instances where I was on here typing or participating in a thread full well knowing I could be doing something with the family instead. Plus, this 'new' job of mine is very inspiring and has really churned up a refreshed spirit within me to strive for success rather than just be content 'getting by' so my focus and energy has been on my career.
   I Hope that contributed a bit..sorry it was a bit long and rambling. I do miss the online comradarie....maybe I should cultivate a more tempered DTF participation method and make an appearance every now and then just to say hi....because I'll be honest, I freakin' miss playing the Random Caption game like you wouldn't believe! Now I'll be off to refresh this thread 4 times a minute for the rest of the night.....thanks alot Barry :tup   ;)

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2012, 11:03:25 AM »
Man, good to know your alive at least Gary!  Was wondering where you evaporated to.

Oh, and the main reason for my post, is show when you refresh your "show new replies to your posts' page, this thread show us  :D.

My kids are older (12), so they don't want/need as much from good ole dad, and I do feel the need to do things just for myself from time to time.

Hope you hang out a little more.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2012, 05:37:58 AM »
The only time I have ever asked for a ban on a forum was when I was arguing with someone and knew we were both going to end up getting banned over it anyway. 

I believe I'm perfectly capable of staying away if I want to. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2012, 05:47:53 AM »
The only time I have ever asked for a ban on a forum was when I was arguing with someone and knew we were both going to end up getting banned over it anyway. 

The worst you probably said was "I am in disagreement with you, but I respect your opinion", then you probably apologized for your language. :lol

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2012, 05:59:09 AM »

The worst you probably said was "I am in disagreement with you, but I respect your opinion", then you probably apologized for your language. :lol

:lol  While I love that people here think of me that way, I haven't always been so mild-mannered.  I remember giving this guy pretty detailed instructions on which of his bodily orifices deserved to have porcupines inserted in them. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2012, 06:00:48 AM »

:lol  While I love that people here think of me that way, I haven't always been so mild-mannered.  I remember giving this guy pretty detailed instructions on which of his bodily orifices deserved to have porcupines inserted in them. 

So you were discussing Porcupine Tree? :neverusethis:

You may not believe this, but at one point, I wasn't such an agreeable personality either. True story!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2012, 06:33:11 AM »
You may not believe this, but at one point, I wasn't such an agreeable personality either. True story!

:omg:

:diesofshock:
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2012, 06:34:32 AM »
Jaffa, your new avatar is throwing me off.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2012, 06:59:56 AM »
 :lol

I was going to do it earlier this month, but I didn't think anybody would be able to photoshop a Santa hat onto this one. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2012, 08:32:35 AM »
Gary, I was wondering what happened to you.  Glad to see you back  :)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2012, 09:43:06 AM »
Gary, I was wondering what happened to you.  Glad to see you back  :)

thanks for luring me out of hiding with the thread ;)
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind