Author Topic: Self Titled Album Discussion thread [Expect Spoilers]  (Read 226955 times)

Offline jcmoorehead

Re: Self Titled Stream Discussion thread [READ FIRST POST, SPOILERS THEREAFTER]
« Reply #1645 on: September 20, 2013, 08:22:55 AM »
Just a quick question for anyone, is/was there an end date for the streaming of the album? Not seeing one mentioned on the pages or indeed on the first post here. Just I went to the ProgRockMag page today to give it a listen as I've finally got the time to site down and enjoy it and I'm just being told "sound not available for streaming in your location."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1646 on: September 20, 2013, 08:23:21 AM »
This must be one of the most polarizing albums released by DT in a long time.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #1647 on: September 20, 2013, 08:26:01 AM »

I don't know if I'd say that. The official reviews that are coming out are singing its praises. I wonder if maybe the forum community is larger now than it was for any previous release, so maybe that's why it seems to be like that? I have no idea, so if I'm wrong anyone, please feel free to correct me! :)
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline JPX

« Reply #1648 on: September 20, 2013, 08:26:24 AM »
So after about 10 more listens, I have determined that the album is split into two distinct groups for me:

1. Songs that I have no desire to ever hear again
- False Awakening Suite
- Enigma Machine
- Along For The Ride
- Illumination Theory

2. Songs that I enjoy that are ruined by a terrible section
- The Enemy Inside - the whole 'I'm a burden' section. Some awful chordal choices here that remind me of Never Enough.
- The Looking Glass - The pre chorus/chorus - i hate it
- The Bigger Picture - the whole 'What if caught in moment' section - more horrible Never Enough chords and vocal melodies.
- Behind The Veil - this one is ok generally but the 1:20 minute intro is a waste of disc space imo
- Surrender To Reason - two words, THE CHORUS. The whole outro is an extension of this.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #1649 on: September 20, 2013, 08:35:24 AM »
So after about 10 more listens, I have determined that the album is split into two distinct groups for me:

- False Awakening Suite
- Enigma Machine
- Along For The Ride
- Illumination Theory

- The Enemy Inside - the whole 'I'm a burden' section. Some awful chordal choices here that remind me of Never Enough.
- The Bigger Picture - the whole 'What if caught in moment' section - more horrible Never Enough chords and vocal melodies.
- Behind The Veil - this one is ok generally but the 1:20 minute intro is a waste of disc space imo
- Surrender To Reason - two words, THE CHORUS. The whole outro is an extension of this.

I respect you opinion. Mine is that I strongly disagree with everything you wrote. DT12 is fantastic from start to end IMO! 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1650 on: September 20, 2013, 08:36:19 AM »
With all my respect to all those who do not connect with this album (after all it is a matter of tastes), but are you sure your problem is not with the genre itself? I do not see how a person expecting a DT prog metal album is not liking this one? What were you expecting, what else can they do?
You go to the best 5 stars italian restaurant in town, they serve you the best pasta ever, and you don't like it ! Are you sure you like pasta in general?  :biggrin: Just my thoughts.

Why are people so set on trying to explain away the negative opinions? (that isn't aimed just at you, I'm seeing a lot of this, unfortunately)
We're all DT fans here, so it's a pretty safe bet it's not an issue of genre. Every DT album pretty much falls under the same genre anyway.

Enjoying music is not about genre, or an objective checklist of what they did or didn't do on the album, it just comes down to whether you like it or not.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1651 on: September 20, 2013, 08:41:02 AM »

I don't know if I'd say that.   I mean, in the poll section listed elsewhere...the feedback from this very forum is 80% positive.   That's way beyond "super-majority"...  I would define something "polarizing" as a bit more split down the middle.     The negative feedback is very vocal, but in the extreme minority.  A mile wide and an inch deep.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1652 on: September 20, 2013, 08:45:34 AM »

- False Awakening Suite
- Enigma Machine
- Along For The Ride
- Illumination Theory

Considering your use of the words "terrible," "awful," and "horrible," you clearly are an expert at giving constructive criticism. :lol :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1653 on: September 20, 2013, 08:48:05 AM »
I am baffled, JPX! The songs are not perfect, but if anything the "What if caught in a moment" is just a splendid emotional peak of the song (along with the solo).
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1654 on: September 20, 2013, 09:20:54 AM »
What a great new Dream Theater record! When I get home from work, all I really want is to listen to this record without doing anything else. ADTOE was disappointing to me, so that's a great feeling to have. The record + tour also didn't convince me that much yet, and I still very much missed Mike Portnoy in the band.

All I can say now is: Mangini stepped up to the plate, is musically integrated and just delivers an all around amazing performance. Not my favorite drum sounds, but at least it's got some weight to it that was missing on A Dramatic Turn of Events.

I'll always 'miss' Portnoy, especially when listening to Awake, Falling Into Infinity or Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, but the undeniable result this time is (IMO) that Dream Theater is their strongest album since Train of Thought. And it's with Mangini.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1655 on: September 20, 2013, 09:36:20 AM »

- False Awakening Suite
- Enigma Machine
- Along For The Ride
- Illumination Theory

OK, so since the album obviously has no redeeming value for you, and we all now know your opinion about it, can I expect to see you stop posting in threads about the album?  Just curious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1656 on: September 20, 2013, 09:39:16 AM »

I don't know if I'd say that. The official reviews that are coming out are singing its praises. I wonder if maybe the forum community is larger now than it was for any previous release, so maybe that's why it seems to be like that? I have no idea, so if I'm wrong anyone, please feel free to correct me! :)

I'm no expert and I haven't read through the whole thread but it seems like a lot of the negativity comes from some of the newer posters

I gave the album two full listens (mostly while doing stuff so I haven't digested the album at all) but my impressions are this album is fantastic. I won't be able to compare it until the album has been digested by many listens but I'm not sure where the complaints come from.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1657 on: September 20, 2013, 09:48:28 AM »
Don't know if it has been posted anywhere else, but if you follow the qr code in the booklet of the deluxe box edition you will find some nice extra features. Don't know about the other versions.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1658 on: September 20, 2013, 09:56:24 AM »
I was just listening to the album at work and completely stopped working when The Bigger Picture started.  I proceeded to just sit in awe and wonder for the next seven and a half minutes or so.  I had previously listened to this song probably about 7 or 8 times and I thought it was really strong, but for some reason today this song completely clicked for me and took my enjoyment of it to a whole different level.  I literally had goosebumps the entire song! What a great track!! :)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1659 on: September 20, 2013, 09:57:40 AM »

- False Awakening Suite
- Enigma Machine
- Along For The Ride
- Illumination Theory

I imagine it must be hard to find girls you're attracted to, given that if they have just one "terrible section", the entire thing is ruined.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1660 on: September 20, 2013, 10:01:24 AM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1661 on: September 20, 2013, 10:01:53 AM »
What the heck? All those "terrible moments" that you mention are some of the high points on the album!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #1662 on: September 20, 2013, 10:10:16 AM »
What the heck? All those "terrible moments" that you mention are some of the high points on the album!

QFT, the pre chorus and chorus of TLG - hate it??!! WTF

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1663 on: September 20, 2013, 10:27:06 AM »

- False Awakening Suite
- Enigma Machine
- Along For The Ride
- Illumination Theory

I imagine it must be hard to find girls you're attracted to, given that if they have just one "terrible section", the entire thing is ruined.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1664 on: September 20, 2013, 10:34:14 AM »
Do you mean the caught up in your gravity part? That part completely sets the fucking tone for the chorus.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #1665 on: September 20, 2013, 10:42:49 AM »
Do you mean the caught up in your gravity part? That part completely sets the fucking tone for the chorus.

that is what I thought - and it is perfect!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1666 on: September 20, 2013, 10:56:06 AM »

- False Awakening Suite
- Enigma Machine
- Along For The Ride
- Illumination Theory

Your posts have split into two distinct groups for me.  One group is for the insipid posts and the other... okay your posts have split into one distinct group for me.  :P

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #1667 on: September 20, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »
The Looking Glass clicked for me, right now it's probably my favourite song of the album. *joins the brainwashed horde*

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1668 on: September 20, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »
 :lol

Ruddy vikings! Welcome.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #1669 on: September 20, 2013, 11:20:13 AM »
Yep, this album is a grower, everything clicked after my 3rd listen.
It has some little problems here and there but I think it's pretty damn good.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1670 on: September 20, 2013, 11:24:55 AM »
JP seems to use a lot of his 7-string on this album. From what I hear, I can hear it on The Enemy Inside, Enigma Machine, The Bigger Picture, Behind The Veil, and Illumination Theory.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1671 on: September 20, 2013, 11:31:14 AM »
JP seems to use a lot of his 7-string on this album. From what I hear, I can hear it on The Enemy Inside, Enigma Machine, The Bigger Picture, Behind The Veil, and Illumination Theory.

Yep, although I think IT is just his baritone guitar. It might be 7-string tuned down to A though.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1672 on: September 20, 2013, 11:32:18 AM »

Yep, although I think IT is just his baritone guitar. It might be 7-string tuned down to A though.
FAS sounds like it has a lower tuned guitar as well, but I can't figure it out.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1673 on: September 20, 2013, 12:09:57 PM »

- False Awakening Suite
- Enigma Machine
- Along For The Ride
- Illumination Theory

OK, so since the album obviously has no redeeming value for you, and we all now know your opinion about it, can I expect to see you stop posting in threads about the album?  Just curious.

Come on Hef.  I think you can say worse.  I'm begging you. :lol 

People and there opinions and how important they think they are that they have to say the same things over and over.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #1674 on: September 20, 2013, 12:22:54 PM »

This.  I don't begrudge your opinion, but you've been griping about the refs, the offensive line play, the turf, the running game and the announcers for the entire 1st quarter.  Can you pretty please let us enjoy the rest of the Super Bowl?

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #1675 on: September 20, 2013, 12:24:15 PM »
This.  I don't begrudge your opinion, but you've been griping about the refs, the offensive line play, the turf, the running game and the announcers for the entire 1st quarter.  Can you pretty please let us enjoy the rest of the Super Bowl?

:clap: I appreciate the football reference.
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #1676 on: September 20, 2013, 12:24:35 PM »
It just keeps getting better with every listen.  FAS sounds absolutely amazing when played really loud.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #1677 on: September 20, 2013, 12:24:40 PM »
caught up in your gravity part

. . . . . . . is going to be a song title if I ever start a rock band, I swear this to you.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1678 on: September 20, 2013, 12:24:47 PM »
:tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1679 on: September 20, 2013, 12:26:33 PM »
Does that mean that because I continue to love the album I should stop posting about it? I'm sure you all know my opinion by now.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens