Author Topic: Slipknot thread?  (Read 18357 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Slipknot thread?
« Reply #175 on: July 21, 2022, 04:53:07 PM »
I think the chorus is catchy as hell, it was the heavy stuff that did not stood out for me. But overall solid song. Also, Chapeltown Rag is part of the new album. i like that song a lot.

Online The Realm

« Reply #176 on: July 21, 2022, 05:46:16 PM »
I don't mind the new song but it does have many elements that kind of blend it into sounding like the last album. I really liked We Are Not Your Kind upon release but it hasn't aged at all well for me and I rarely if at all put it on these days. Looking forward to the new album though.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #177 on: July 21, 2022, 07:26:08 PM »
I'm not sure if I like it, certainly don't hate it. It does have a mix of all their previous albums, I hear a lot of the first two albums in that track. Again might be better when listening to it with the whole album. I found the clean parts the most boring parts of the song.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Mladen

« Reply #178 on: July 22, 2022, 02:23:38 AM »
I don't mind the new song but it does have many elements that kind of blend it into sounding like the last album. I really liked We Are Not Your Kind upon release but it hasn't aged at all well for me and I rarely if at all put it on these days. Looking forward to the new album though.
All of this.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #179 on: October 03, 2022, 07:34:51 AM »
So the new album is here, but is anyone listening to it?

I'm still trying to make up my mind. All of it sounds good. But is any of it great? We'll see after a couple more spins.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2022, 08:11:40 AM »
I like it, but since We Are Not Your Kind is their best album by a very wide margin to me, this one does live in it's shadow a bit. But I have to listen to it more.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2022, 08:40:34 AM »
Have not heard it but read an interview with Jim Root over the weekend. Seems he is not very fond of it as he didn't contribute a lot and felt it was rushed. Somewhere in there he mentioned that Clown screamed that it's not a Slipknot album and they are still touring on the old one. Jim kind of pushed back against that.

I get the impression from many of these interviews I read that they all don't seem to get along very well and aren't really friends anymore but a business at this point. None of them ever seem happy expect for Jay.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2022, 08:46:44 AM »
Have not heard it but read an interview with Jim Root over the weekend. Seems he is not very fond of it as he didn't contribute a lot and felt it was rushed. Somewhere in there he mentioned that Clown screamed that it's not a Slipknot album and they are still touring on the old one. Jim kind of pushed back against that.

I get the impression from many of these interviews I read that they all don't seem to get along very well and aren't really friends anymore but a business at this point. None of them ever seem happy expect for Jay.

So you could call them, Slipwood Knot?

My brother ran into Corey Taylor at a local collectible toy store yesterday. He and the radio station were promoting the concert.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2022, 08:59:56 AM »
Maybe this is the repurposed sideproject from a couple of their members? I recall reading a while back about them planning to release something that started during the All Hope is Gone sessions, which involved like half of the band.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #184 on: October 03, 2022, 09:22:58 AM »
There is some speculation (amongst fans only so far) that the band rushed this because it's their last album on their contract with Roadrunner. I don't think so personally, it just seems to be what they are at this point. It's a fine album for the most part. My biggest complaint is Corey has become very one-dimensional with his vocal choruses. I really enjoyed some of his output in Stone Sour so you know he can do different things, but the clean choruses for a lot of the slipknot songs are exactly the same.

The fan reaction online has been very negative but people seem to just crave a return to the first few albums which doesn't seem tenable at this point.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #185 on: October 03, 2022, 12:42:28 PM »
I think the verses are more samey than the choruses.

As to whether the album was rushed or not, I guess they started working on it because they weren't able to tour because of covid. They had to do something, so they cranked out an album. Same as Rammstein this year.

Online The Realm

« Reply #186 on: October 03, 2022, 02:56:51 PM »
I've given the new album a few listens. As of right now I do like it but agree that many of the vocal lines on the heavier songs are pretty predictable and one-dimensional (for Slipknot). At first I also felt that Corey chose some weird and jarring melodic choices on some of the clean stuff which didn't work for me but I've gone past that now. At of right now though I am compelled to continue to listen to it which is probably a good thing. I've got a feeling though that this will wear off soon and I will shelve it and when the day comes that I have a Slipknot craving I will reach for one of the first 3 albums...

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #187 on: October 03, 2022, 09:26:38 PM »
I think either Jim is going to regret some interviews he's been giving (or at least the way they have been turned into sensationalist headlines) or he's going to get a lot of shit from his other bandmates for the picture he's managed to paint of the band's inner affairs. I think the Guitar World interview that he did was more detailed and nuanced in explaining that he didn't contribute much to the writing process because:

a) he was fighting his depression over the pandemic and went through a dry spell in terms of writing and guitar playing, and

b) the way the recording schedule/budget panned out, he arrived at the studio in writing mode while the rest of the band already had enough ideas to record.

That, and he handed Clown and Joe Barresi a hard drive with more early-stage ideas so they could use it for other pieces.

Not only that, but there was a point where he wasn't initially pleased with the material Alex brought in (and Alex mentioned in another interview that he spent many months going to Clown's house in Iowa to work on the new album). They played around with the material as a band and Jim mentioned the experience taught him a lot about ego and humility (his words).

What I think (pure conjecture) is that Jim went through a bit of a crisis because this is the first album since All Hope is Gone where he wasn't the head writer. I think he's jumbling that sentiment with the misgivings about how Roadrunner helped (or didn't help) them with the recording process (something other members have commented on) and producing some ill-thought-out soundbites that the press (and a bunch of fans) are having a field day with to put the album down.

I think this is a superb album. I've been listening back to their previous works in the car recently and TESF somehow feels a bit more concise. This isn't about the quality -- I love their first 3 albums to death and there's always something in their albums that I can get back to and enjoy. But TESF has this sort of throughline feel to it that I'm really digging, and it truly shows great facets of the band (there's enough of the heavier part, the melodies, and some "out there" stuff too, but this time without any interludes as in WANYK).

I do think he's sort of doing Clown a disservice by vaguely quoting him like that. The man is known for being cryptic at times, but he's consistently been displaying how proud he is of the new material. In any case, I think the interviewer could've prodded him further to ask at which point did Clown say this was "not a Slipknot record". Something's fishy there.

But that's all insider baseball anyway. What matters to me was that, with the shortest turnaround time they've worked with in a while, they put out a very entertaining record. I really hope they play stuff like Warranty and H377 live.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: October 04, 2022, 08:57:41 AM »
Thought this was a cool poster to see while I was in Germany last week

I still have to check out the album, I see a bunch of negativity, but that's not going to stop me from listening, I just haven't had time.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #189 on: October 04, 2022, 10:02:35 AM »
I've been spinning the new one a few times mostly because of 2 factors: 1. I used to like the band somewhat back in my teenage years and enjoyed the first 3 albums but kinda lost interest and was curious to hear a new one, and 2. I have a lot of time to listen at work so I usually plow through 5-6 new albums in a week so 'sacrificing' one of those slots on the new Slipknot felt like an okay thing to do.

Overall though I would say it's fairly underwhelming and maybe even bad. The first song actually made me slightly curious because it was something different and unexpected but by song 2 they kinda go back into their old ways (though not as good) and there's not a lot of memorable riffs or melodies or vocal performances. It's okay, I don't want to say it's the worst thing ever in case some people really like it, but for me it feels like a very average album by a big band that will get defended and get probably more positive buzz than it deserves. When you're invested in a band and you are a big fan, you don't wanna go "this is bad" so it's like you find a way to learn to like it.

When it comes to albums like this I always try to think of a scenario where if this wasn't a band I already liked, and it was just a new band I had never heard before - same album but this is all I can form an opinion about - would I like it? In this case, if this was a new random band's first album, I would most likely never return after the initial 3-4 listens and when the next album comes out I wouldn't carry any "The last one was decent, I'll check this one out" goodwill with me. But yeah I haven't heard any albums past Vol 3 so maybe this is just a one off bad album, maybe there's a decline, I don't really know.

Online The Realm

« Reply #190 on: October 09, 2022, 05:23:43 PM »
I am still listening to the new album and have to say I am now really enjoying it. I see Portnoy posted about the album on instagram and in general I would have to say I pretty much agree with what he said. Will just be interesting though to see how it ages as WANYK do not age that well for me.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2022, 06:31:12 PM »
I see Portnoy posted about the album on instagram and in general I would have to say I pretty much agree with what he said.

What did he say?

Offline nick_z

« Reply #192 on: October 09, 2022, 06:36:06 PM »
I see Portnoy posted about the album on instagram and in general I would have to say I pretty much agree with what he said.

What did he say?

He tweeted about it too...

https://twitter.com/MikePortnoy/status/1579010519541108736?s=20&t=5MjL3LjaKMrWO-vNizEJkQ

"I have no idea what @slipknot purists are saying…but for me, this is one of the albums of the year!! Like Slipknot meets Pink Floyd & Radiohead…and I fuxking LUV IT!! 👏🤘A whole new level of Slipknot…creatively firing on all cylinders…and delivering their Sgt Pepper "

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2022, 06:46:52 PM »
Thanks.

I don’t find the album as good as he does but I like it a lot and don’t get the negativity.

Online The Realm

« Reply #194 on: October 09, 2022, 06:51:37 PM »
Well, yeah the comments from Mike are a bit over the top but I am agreeing with the general sentiment that the album is great.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2022, 02:14:44 PM »
Finally gave a couple listens (and should get to many more in due time) and it's pretty good.  I can see why people aren't happy though.  There's some change in style here which I kind of enjoy.  Adderral is just something completely different for them so starting with that likely turned a lot of fans off right off the bat.  My initial thought is that it's not as good as WANYK, which I rank as my favorite Slipknot album and my favorite release from that year so it's not too surprising I don't find it better, but I think this is a worthy follow up.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2022, 03:32:39 PM »
Jeez......I've had a listen and I don't think this album is very good at all.  A shame because I thought the last one was by far their best album to date, but this one, is just terrible IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online The Realm

« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2022, 06:33:40 PM »
That is a shame Wolfking. Overall the album has really grown on me but not sure how well it will age. I love Adderall and I also love Finale (the 2 bookends), I think they are both awesome. A couple of the heavier tracks I don't think are anything special but others I really like - Hivemind I think is great.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #198 on: October 14, 2022, 01:30:05 AM »
I actually like it quite a bit. They kind of push some boundaries on melodies and choruses, it's all very unconventional by Slipknot standards. It's also pretty consistent and not too long - twelve real songs, no intros nor interludes. I think I prefer it to the previous one, which was good, but it didn't age too well. Most of it ended up sounding too samey to me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: October 14, 2022, 04:20:00 AM »
I'll try again going in with a different mindset in a week or two.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #200 on: October 18, 2022, 03:40:55 AM »
I like it when Slipknot experiment a little, and the album is pretty good in that regard, but for me it's let down by a lack of good hooks.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #201 on: June 07, 2023, 02:41:55 PM »
Craig Jones is no longer a member of the band:

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=820632186093410&set=a.344732530350047

So, who will be the next one to go?  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: June 07, 2023, 02:45:03 PM »
Clown also announced he's not touring due to health issues with his wife.  Sucks to see the band having some issues.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #203 on: June 07, 2023, 02:48:41 PM »
Who is Craig Jones?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #204 on: June 07, 2023, 10:27:46 PM »
Who is Craig Jones?

Keyboardist and Sampler. Been with the band for 27 years.

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #205 on: June 08, 2023, 07:07:13 AM »
Craig Jones is no longer a member of the band:

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=820632186093410&set=a.344732530350047

So, who will be the next one to go?  :lol

The majority of the band is still from their self titled album from the 90's (5 of them). I feel that is overall pretty stable, considering they are a 9 man band that have been around for over 25 years.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #206 on: June 08, 2023, 07:10:44 AM »
I'd also imagine there's a fair amount of ego among the original dudes. Can't be easy to maintain.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: June 08, 2023, 08:43:19 AM »
It just is a bit weird when the band writes them off so quickly. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #208 on: June 08, 2023, 09:47:50 AM »
I also dislike how cryptic with it they always are. We'll never know why Jordison really left, and even the thing with Chris still has questions in the air. Not that we're entitled to knowing, but that kind of thing has an inpact on the integrity, perception and legacy of the band, if the band cares about that at all.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #209 on: June 08, 2023, 10:59:03 AM »
I don't think Joey really knew, but I remember his opinion was that the band thought he was strung out bad on drugs and it was impacting his physical wellbeing when it turned out he had the myelitis thing.

I'm more sad that he never got the Vimic record out. I loved everything they put out. There's a whole unreleased album out there somewhere. Actually, I think he said they had 2 records ready to go.