Author Topic: Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-that's all folks!  (Read 38290 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - Round 4 … Scores
« Reply #1120 on: December 27, 2023, 01:44:52 PM »
Woah, I'll check them out today.  Never heard of the band.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1121 on: December 27, 2023, 01:46:21 PM »
I'll definitely take another quality win... 3/4 rounds now.

Win... tie...
Potato ... po-tah-to

I don't care about the bonus round one way or another, I'm having too much fun with the anonymity/predictability hangman thing.

It's like watching (Lethal Weapon 1) Mel Gibson deciding which bad guy to kill first.

Litho is your 'Gary Busey'

Out of all the action heroes you could have went with you choose Mel Gibson?!

Also, you've never heard Crazy?  That was a monster hit over here.  Check out Iron Saviors cover.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - Round 4 … Scores
« Reply #1122 on: December 27, 2023, 01:47:15 PM »
P.S.  As it stands now, you're not in a winning position with OR without the bonus round.  :biggrin:

Oh, well, carry on then.. ;D

Seriously, if half of my score is obscurity and the half quality, then it's a balance and if they weren't weighted the same, that would've or could've changed my submissions. Maybe I have to read your proposal more carefully.

No, you got it right.  It is setup so that 1/2 the points are hangman related; 1/2 are quality of the music.  I couldn't really figure out a way to simplistically skew it a little more towards quality.  But I still hoped quality would be the first thing to focus on.

Everyone carry on!  I'm enjoying how all of this is playing out so far.  And truthfully, the prospect of adding a couple of bonus rounds for some more good music is not a bad thing.
While the maximum scores are 10 for quality and hangman, the spread of scores is very different. 1.0-10.0 for hangman-related, 6.0-9.0 for quality. In practice this means the hangman scores are so far weighted 3 times the quality scores. The incentive is definitely to prioritise anonymity and unpredictability as long as you don't actually hate the song.

I think if you'd used a 1.0-10.0 stack ranking system for scoring quality, that would have achieved what you were going for and been a genuine half and half weighting.

I noticed this early on, but it was once round 1 was almost finished and you were compiling scores, so any change you'd have made would still be after the game had started. And in fairness you did at that point signal the possibility of making a change to incentivise quality.   

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1123 on: December 27, 2023, 01:49:50 PM »
I definitely have been focussing a bit more towards obscurity too.  It's definitely key to balance it with a good song though.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1124 on: December 27, 2023, 02:02:02 PM »
*math stuff*

Seems the smart move would have been a formal consult / audit of the scoring system from a pro!  Hindsight and all.   :facepalm:

I think if you'd used a 1.0-10.0 stack ranking system for scoring quality, that would have achieved what you were going for and been a genuine half and half weighting.

The real dick move would be re-score rounds 1-4.  That would REALLY chafe Tim’s chaps!!

I definitely have been focussing a bit more towards obscurity too.  It's definitely key to balance it with a good song though.

This guy gets it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: December 27, 2023, 02:05:00 PM »
But as the rounds go on, I've focussed lla little less on obscurity just because Chad knows every clean vocal band ever.

Question, if a band has a couple of albums listened to in your last.fm but a couple of albums not there at all, are those albums fair game?  Don't want to go down that path but may have to.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1126 on: December 27, 2023, 02:09:00 PM »
*math stuff*

Seems the smart move would have been a formal consult / audit of the scoring system from a pro!  Hindsight and all.   :facepalm:
As an auditor by profession, I do maintain the view that audit can be helpful! :P :lol

In fairness, I probably would have commented at the start (early enough for you to do something about it) if I'd realised how narrow the quality scores would likely end up being, but I was more focused on trying unsuccessfully to qualify and didn't realise until round 1 was nearly over.

The real dick move would be re-score rounds 1-4.  That would REALLY chafe Tim’s chaps!!
Considering his current quality-only placement, that would be brutal. :lol

Anyway I think your amendment works quite well. It won't shift the priority for everyone, but it does create an incentive for those who are unlikely to catch up on hangman-related scores to prioritise quality and go for that opportunity.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1127 on: December 27, 2023, 02:17:09 PM »
The other challenge is that quality is more unpredictable than guessability. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1128 on: December 27, 2023, 02:19:28 PM »
but I was more focused on trying unsuccessfully to qualify

Chad...what about this? Can Ariich join my team??  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1129 on: December 27, 2023, 05:38:30 PM »
What in the wide world of sports is going on here?

Oh yeah, I unknowingly cheated and got busted, 7.5 is still nice though.

I'll send tomorrow if you don't mind; I need rest and clarity, and it's been one of those 400km drive - concert - 400km drive back - find out you blew this round - kind of day.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 05:46:50 PM by Indiscipline »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1130 on: December 27, 2023, 05:57:42 PM »

I'll send tomorrow if you don't mind; I need rest and clarity, and it's been one of those 400km drive - concert - 400km drive back - find out you blew this round - kind of day.
If it makes you feel any better, I blew this round too  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1131 on: December 27, 2023, 06:00:01 PM »
And sent.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: December 27, 2023, 06:11:42 PM »

Probably because I just realised they are a new band.  Damn that was light for Christian.  Still solid.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1133 on: December 27, 2023, 06:16:03 PM »
I too have sent.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1134 on: December 27, 2023, 06:19:12 PM »

Probably because I just realised they are a new band.  Damn that was light for Christian.  Still solid.

Well, he has done even lighter, but yeah, most of his projects are more aggressive. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1135 on: December 27, 2023, 06:28:29 PM »

Well, he has done even lighter, but yeah, most of his projects are more aggressive.

I don't think I've heard everything from him, and not sure if it's his solo EP you are referring to, but that is amazing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1136 on: December 27, 2023, 06:37:43 PM »
But as the rounds go on, I've focussed lla little less on obscurity just because Chad knows every clean vocal band ever.

Question, if a band has a couple of albums listened to in your last.fm but a couple of albums not there at all, are those albums fair game?  Don't want to go down that path but may have to.

Yes, fair game.  I allowed submissions of Tellus Requiem from RJ (I've got their first 2 albums, but only listened to the EP that he sent his song from a couple times), and Vandenberg from Alex (have that album saved on Spotify).  My rule is if I can't come up with the melody of a song off the top of my head, the song is fair game.  Which is also why Seal/Crazy was permissable.  When Bill asked if it was ok, I thought "Aerosmith?  Brittany Spears?"  Don't remember the Seal version from back in the day at all.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1137 on: December 27, 2023, 06:39:00 PM »
In my last couple of roulettes, I've gotten tons of bands and even songs that I had Saved in my Spotify.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: December 27, 2023, 06:39:36 PM »

I would disagree.  Indi thought he Vandenberg would be guessed quick; RJ was trying to go more obscure with Tellus Requiem.  The swings on Hangman can be very unpredictable.  Kade selecting "U" in hangman fucked RJ over two rounds in a row!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: December 27, 2023, 06:40:13 PM »
but I was more focused on trying unsuccessfully to qualify

Chad...what about this? Can Ariich join my team??  ;D

Sure... you need the help.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1140 on: December 27, 2023, 06:41:06 PM »
Oh, Snap.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1141 on: December 27, 2023, 06:41:13 PM »

I would disagree.  Indi thought he Vandenberg would be guessed quick; RJ was trying to go more obscure with Tellus Requiem.  The swings on Hangman can be very unpredictable.  Kade selecting "U" in hangman fucked RJ over two rounds in a row!

You might call it a ..... fuck U!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1142 on: December 27, 2023, 06:41:30 PM »

Top score of the round = "blew this round"?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1143 on: December 27, 2023, 06:42:13 PM »

If it makes you feel any better, I blew this round too  :lol

2nd place score of the round = "blew this round too".

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1144 on: December 27, 2023, 06:46:03 PM »

You might call it a ..... fuck U!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1145 on: December 27, 2023, 06:53:26 PM »
Chris/Kade ... received and accepted.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: December 27, 2023, 06:59:45 PM »

Yes, fair game.  I allowed submissions of Tellus Requiem from RJ (I've got their first 2 albums, but only listened to the EP that he sent his song from a couple times), and Vandenberg from Alex (have that album saved on Spotify).  My rule is if I can't come up with the melody of a song off the top of my head, the song is fair game.  Which is also why Seal/Crazy was permissable.  When Bill asked if it was ok, I thought "Aerosmith?  Brittany Spears?"  Don't remember the Seal version from back in the day at all.

Cheers.  I remembered you mentioned I think in the OP most things are fair game unless they are super favs or whatever, just thought I'd check.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1147 on: December 27, 2023, 07:02:16 PM »
I don't think I've heard everything from him, and not sure if it's his solo EP you are referring to, but that is amazing.

Yeah, that one, but also in particular collabs like this one, which is outside of the wheelhouse of most in the roulette. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5sw3utWEoY

There is certainly some variability depending upon what letters are revealed in which order.  But neither "Vandenberg" nor "Skyfall" are easy or common words, so I don't know why he'd think that would be one of the first solved. 

Top score of the round = "blew this round"?

2nd place score of the round = "blew this round too".

They had the lowest quality scores though.  It's bittersweet to be doing better on intangibles than on quality. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1148 on: December 27, 2023, 07:11:25 PM »
It's bittersweet to be doing better on intangibles than on quality.

Eh.. I can live with it. ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1149 on: December 27, 2023, 09:41:21 PM »
It's bittersweet to be doing better on intangibles than on quality.

Eh.. I can live with it. ;D

Tell the Lovely Mrs. TAC that!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1150 on: December 27, 2023, 09:45:36 PM »
Kade... got your revision.

And then your change to that.

Wait... another change?  Or now.

What is it that you're submitting?  This guy, that guy, or the other guy?

Or that last guy?

I'm deleting all your messages.  Send me your submission in the morning (my morning).  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1151 on: December 27, 2023, 10:11:01 PM »
Oi!!!  I told you you'd have my final call by the time you wake up!

Hmmm....maybe I can find a song with all the guys........now that would be something.....

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1152 on: December 27, 2023, 10:17:31 PM »
Yeah, I know.  I just had to give you shit publicly too!   :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1153 on: December 28, 2023, 12:30:40 AM »

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1154 on: December 28, 2023, 03:53:17 AM »
Yup, Jazzo is exactly right.

Sent!