Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 159610 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #2520 on: June 04, 2014, 01:16:48 PM »
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

This is a nice little song, and one that I cannot hear without thinking of Mr. Holland's Opus because of its placement of it in that film. 
All of Jackson Browne's songs sound the same to me. I therefore can't hear any of them without thinking of Jennifer Jason Leigh's hot ass being deflowered in a baseball dugout; go figure.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2521 on: June 04, 2014, 03:53:57 PM »
And now she's everybody's baby.

Jackson Brown live is a pleasure on the ears.  His touring group is top notch. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2522 on: June 04, 2014, 10:59:51 PM »

This is a nice little song, and one that I cannot hear without thinking of Mr. Holland's Opus because of its placement of it in that film. 
All of Jackson Browne's songs sound the same to me. I therefore can't hear any of them without thinking of Jennifer Jason Leigh's hot ass being deflowered in a baseball dugout; go figure.

I never thought of her as being hot at all, but :lol :lol :lol :lol, nonetheless.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2523 on: June 05, 2014, 08:07:03 AM »
James Gang - Funk #49

Nice little song, featuring a sweet little dirty riff.  The instrumental breakdown in the middle is pretty sweet, too; some cool percussion stuff going on there.  And I never realized until just now that the song really is mostly instrumental. :coolio

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2524 on: June 05, 2014, 08:19:47 AM »
The signature tone and style of Joe Walsh. The party drums in the middle are surprisingly musical. Love it!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2525 on: June 05, 2014, 09:59:06 AM »
Great song!  Joe Walsh is so cool.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2526 on: June 05, 2014, 12:11:33 PM »

I never thought of her as being hot at all, but :lol :lol :lol :lol, nonetheless.
I prefer cute to traditional-hot, so she was the hands down winner in that movie, and definitely had it going on in 1982.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2527 on: June 05, 2014, 12:16:36 PM »

Great call.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2528 on: June 05, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »

I prefer cute to traditional-hot, so she was the hands down winner in that movie, and definitely had it going on in 1982.

I often do, too, but the hands down winner in that movie?  Even taking away the scene, Phoebe Cates was still waaaay cuter, IMHO (H = heterosexual, in this instance :P).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2529 on: June 05, 2014, 12:52:54 PM »
Great song!  Joe Walsh is so cool.

How much stuff do you know by James Gang?  I'd be open to recommendations on less-known songs to check out. :)

I say this because I stumbled across the song Take a Look Around recently and was surprised by how much I loved it.  That is one killer song. 

And then the jam Stop, from the same record, is pretty damn good, too. 

The signature tone and style of Joe Walsh. The party drums in the middle are surprisingly musical. Love it!

Very much so!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2530 on: June 05, 2014, 01:55:59 PM »
I don't know a lot of James Gang, and actually not a lot of Joe Walsh solo stuff.  I just know the songs I've heard on the radio, but from various interviews with Joe and also Live from Darryl's House (a great show for anyone who likes music, regardless of what one might think of Darryl Hall), he just comes across as a crazy, funny, very cool guy.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2531 on: June 05, 2014, 02:09:32 PM »
I wish I thought Joe Walsh's music was as cool as I thought he was. Same with Jackson Browne too, I guess.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2532 on: June 06, 2014, 12:08:07 PM »
I don't know a lot of James Gang, and actually not a lot of Joe Walsh solo stuff.  I just know the songs I've heard on the radio, but from various interviews with Joe and also Live from Darryl's House (a great show for anyone who likes music, regardless of what one might think of Darryl Hall), he just comes across as a crazy, funny, very cool guy.

Check out that song Take a Look Around; it's on YT. Given your tastes, I think you'll love it, too. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2533 on: June 06, 2014, 12:11:45 PM »
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Down on the Corner

As far as my earliest memories of songs I remember loving as a young kid, this was one of the first.  My parents had the 45 of this and played it a lot, so I knew it, and man, did I love it as a kid.  And I still do, as an adult.  This is one of those songs that you just can't help but sing along to.  :coolio

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2534 on: June 06, 2014, 12:18:40 PM »
Creedence is always cool! Bring a nickel, tap your feet.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2535 on: June 06, 2014, 12:26:15 PM »
A guy I used to work with, whenever we'd hear this song, would sing it as, "Tweak a nipple, spank your meat." :rollin :rollin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2536 on: June 06, 2014, 12:55:00 PM »
For a long, long time, I had no idea what they were saying in the chorus past "Down on the corner, out in the street..."  I was pretty sure it ended with "...stamp your feet" but that's it.  I think it was within the past year that I finally looked it up.

Still, fun song, catchy song.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2537 on: June 06, 2014, 12:58:20 PM »
Very catchy song, always seems to get stuck in my head for a while.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2538 on: June 06, 2014, 01:06:40 PM »
A guy I used to work with, whenever we'd hear this song, would sing it as, "Tweak a nipple, spank your meat." :rollin :rollin
:lol
The other day I was thinking we should start a thread where we post the alternate lyrics we've all come up with for songs. My best friend always referred to it as 'perverting songs' which should give you some idea about our alternates.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2539 on: June 06, 2014, 02:57:10 PM »
The other day I was thinking we should start a thread where we post the alternate lyrics we've all come up with for songs. My best friend always referred to it as 'perverting songs' which should give you some idea about our alternates.

Ahh, if only I remembered my vast epic of the mid-80s "Clean The Grime Off The Ancient Mariner."

A spontaneous, as Iron Maiden was playing on the cassette player of my best friend's car, complete parody of Rime of the Ancient Mariner. "Clean the grime off the ancient mariner, scrub from him the salt from the seas!" is all I remember now.

Yes, as anyone who read the 80s thread can probably guess, I was shitfaced at the time.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2540 on: June 06, 2014, 04:48:05 PM »

A friend and I have had a field day over the years with changing the lyrics to Judas Priest songs to make them sound, well, more gay.  Often times, you don't have to change much. :eek :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2541 on: June 06, 2014, 05:13:51 PM »
I always throw my buddy's name in songs and sing it out loud in public to embarrass him. :lol

No fear baby!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2542 on: June 07, 2014, 06:07:55 AM »
Catching up...

Jackson Browne is an incredible singer and songwriter, one of my all-time faves, and The Pretender is a great example of his craft.  Just great, stupendous, awesome.

Funk #49 is great also, and all of Joe Walsh's early stuff, whether solo or James Gang (or Barnstorm).  Other James Gang songs I would recommend would be Take A Look Around; Funk # 48; Tend My Garden; Walk Away (which you've probably heard before); or Ashes, The Rain & I.

I like CCR a lot, but for some reason, this particular song has never done much for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2543 on: June 07, 2014, 09:45:53 AM »
Thanks for the recs, hef! :tup :tup

And while we've got Joe Walsh still on the brain...

Eagles - In the City

Fantastic song.  I know Walsh did this as a solo artist shortly before the Eagles did it as well, but the Eagles version is better and more definitive.  His guitar work is pretty tasty as usual, and the harmonies of the Eagles make the chorus that much better.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2544 on: June 07, 2014, 11:30:05 AM »
Nice!  The Eagles can do little wrong in my eyes (at least, before they broke up), and this song is really good.  It is a great example of how they really incorporated Walsh into the band with open arms.  They never would have done this kind of song before that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2545 on: June 07, 2014, 02:55:38 PM »
I didn't realize that there was an Eagles version.  When I hear it on the radio, I assume it's Joe, but maybe it's Eagles.  Which album, and what are the differences?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2546 on: June 07, 2014, 03:34:47 PM »
Great later tune by the Eagles

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2547 on: June 07, 2014, 03:41:02 PM »
I didn't realize that there was an Eagles version.  When I hear it on the radio, I assume it's Joe, but maybe it's Eagles.  Which album, and what are the differences?

Joe Walsh's version is on the soundtrack to the movie The Warriors and is virtually identical other than being a few seconds longer and having the Eagles play and sing background on it. As the soundtrack to The Warriors didn't hit CD until the 90s, I'd say we've hearing the Eagles version for the past few decades.

Though to be honest, they're both so similar musically I wouldn't be shocked if the Eagles version turned out to be basically a remix of the original with the Eagles singing back up.  :lol
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 04:16:43 PM by Jaq »
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2548 on: June 08, 2014, 08:09:37 AM »
Yeah, they are pretty similar, but the Walsh one sounds looser, and it's almost like there is a bit of echo in his vocals at times.  The Eagles version sounds more tight, if that makes sense.  And like Orbert, I never knew there was an Eagles version for a long time either.  Even when it was on the Hell Freezes Over video, I figured that was the Eagles playing a Joe Walsh solo song.  It was years later when I happened across VH1 Classic playing the video for the Eagles version of it from The Long Run, and I was like, "Oh." :lol :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2549 on: June 08, 2014, 08:30:57 AM »
Jethro Tull - Bungle in the Jungle

When I first got into Tull, this was one of a handful songs of theirs that I heard all the time on the radio, and I liked it a lot, but once I dug into their catalogue a little bit, the shine quickly wore off of this song.  It's not a bad song, but it's not anything special.  Listening now, yeah, it's solid, but that's about it.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #2550 on: June 08, 2014, 09:14:01 AM »
it seems like it was written to be catchy, and it is, but I feel there isn't anything outstanding about it.  JT has lots of far better songs than this.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2551 on: June 08, 2014, 04:01:12 PM »
Jethro Tull is all over the place, from their full-album epics (even if at least one of them was created "accidentally") to albums full of shorter, catchy songs, many of which have commercial potential.  I like that they have songs catchy enough to get airplay, but then you can dig into their albums and there's more to them than that.

"Bungle in the Jungle" is a fun little song, and if it gets people to check out some Tull, then that's cool.  I was among those people.  I remember when it came out, the only other song of theirs that I knew was "Aqualung" and by this point I was playing flute in the school band, so it caught my ear.  My friend's mom was a Tull fan, so I borrowed War Child.  Okay, I didn't really like it, but she never got Thick as a Brick back.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2552 on: June 09, 2014, 07:39:50 AM »
Haha.  Vinyl?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2553 on: June 09, 2014, 08:12:45 AM »
Stevie Nicks & Tom Petty - Stop Draggin' My Heart Around

Good, enjoyable tune.  It's fairly obvious that it was not only written by Tom Petty (and his guitarist Mike Campbell), but that the Heartbreaks play on it, as there is no mistaking their sound, especially in the late 70se/early 80s.  Nice little collaboration.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2554 on: June 09, 2014, 08:58:53 AM »
Anything with Petty gets a 'meh' from me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion