Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 159674 times)

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #1960 on: March 03, 2014, 04:55:24 PM »
Grateful Dead - Casey Jones

I'm not sure I'd call myself a fan of this song, but I've always been entertained by how blatant the drug references are.  Ah, the 70s were so grand, weren't they? :lol :lol

Never been a Dead fan.  The only song I really like is Touch Of Gray.

I'm not a fan either, but I do like exactly 5 Dead hits: Casey Jones, Touch of Gray, Friend of the Devil, Truckin and Uncle John's Band.  When I was in my '20's I picked up Skeletons from the Closet to see if I could become a fan.....but it never happened!
- Ronzoni -

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1961 on: March 04, 2014, 05:37:29 AM »
Also not a fan of 'the dead', yet their concerts were not to be missed if for no other reason than to party with their fans. Man, those were some great times.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1962 on: March 04, 2014, 07:14:35 AM »
I'm not a huge dead fan, but I like some of their stuff.  I never went to one of their concerts, but I've seen The Grateful Dead Movie and some other clips, and they're amazing.  On stage is where they really shine.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1963 on: March 04, 2014, 11:57:56 AM »
Alice Cooper - Eighteen

While not much of a fan of his, I do enjoy this song quite a bit.  Of the handful of songs of his that got any kind of regular airplay on classic rock radio, this is the one that stood out to be the most.  It has a dirty edge to it that makes it more appealing than the others.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1964 on: March 04, 2014, 12:40:55 PM »
I find a lot of Coopers 70s material to be hit or miss, but this is a great one.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1965 on: March 04, 2014, 12:45:01 PM »
I never got in to AC for whatever reason, but loved this song before I really knew anything about him. A great, concise song that still rocks today.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1966 on: March 04, 2014, 01:20:47 PM »
Good song.  Some Alice Cooper works for me, some does not.

I think this particular song means something different to actual 18-year-olds than it does to guys who are older.  18 is a time of a lot of confusion, coupled with newfound abilities and responsibilities (which add to the confusion), so what he's saying in the song is true, but most of us don't really understand it until we're older and have the benefit of perspective.  Personally, I didn't like 18, but in retrospect it was a pretty awesome time.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1967 on: March 04, 2014, 04:38:21 PM »
I'm a bit the same as a few above - I find AC quite hit and miss but this was a good song.  Sorry to nitpick but I think it's called "I'm Eighteen."

As a tribute to TAC and in order to keep things flowing I'd like to suggest Winger: Seventeen for the next song :neverusethis:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1968 on: March 04, 2014, 05:00:53 PM »
Yea, when it came to Alice Cooper I was more of a Halo of Flies sort of fan. I'm Eighteen never did it for me (to put it nicely).
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1969 on: March 04, 2014, 05:03:02 PM »
I'm a bit the same as a few above - I find AC quite hit and miss but this was a good song.  Sorry to nitpick but I think it's called "I'm Eighteen."

As a tribute to TAC and in order to keep things flowing I'd like to suggest Winger: Seventeen for the next song :neverusethis:

I think TAC just felt a disturbance in the force right now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1970 on: March 05, 2014, 08:46:14 AM »
Looks like the song is called I'm Eighteen, although when it was released a single, it was just called Eighteen.  So, it can work either way. :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1971 on: March 05, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Call Me the Breeze

This has always been one of the two or three Skynyrd songs I've enjoyed the most.  The fantastic piano solo in the middle is probably a big reason why.  It sounds like it would be fun as hell to play that section. :hat

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1972 on: March 05, 2014, 09:08:36 AM »
The only Skynyrd I have is the Gold/Platinum greatest hits double CD.  This song did not make it.  I know the song, and wouldn't change the radio if it was on, but haven't heard it in a long time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1973 on: March 05, 2014, 10:21:54 AM »
Looks like the song is called I'm Eighteen, although when it was released a single, it was just called Eighteen.  So, it can work either way. :biggrin:

It's obvious (to me anyway) that you've taken great care to get the names of the songs correct, including exact wording, spelling, and sometimes even punctuation, and I've been impressed thus far.  I thought the name of the song was "Eighteen" also, and was surprised to double check and see that on the album, it's "I'm Eighteen".  I think some sneaky person must've changed it.

Strange times we live in.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1974 on: March 05, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Call Me the Breeze

This has always been one of the two or three Skynyrd songs I've enjoyed the most.  The fantastic piano solo in the middle is probably a big reason why.  It sounds like it would be fun as hell to play that section. :hat

Fun song.  I should learn that piano solo because yeah, it's pretty cool.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1975 on: March 05, 2014, 10:26:21 AM »
Love me some Skynyrd! I can honestly say that I've enjoyed every song I've ever heard from them and Call Me the Breeze is no exception.

Why don't I own any of their albums again?  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1976 on: March 05, 2014, 12:14:48 PM »

It's obvious (to me anyway) that you've taken great care to get the names of the songs correct, including exact wording, spelling, and sometimes even punctuation, and I've been impressed thus far. I thought the name of the song was "Eighteen" also, and was surprised to double check and see that on the album, it's "I'm Eighteen".  I think some sneaky person must've changed it.

Strange times we live in.

Thanks, I appreciate that!  Really, that's the grammar and spelling nazi in me that makes me do it. :lol

I should learn that piano solo because yeah, it's pretty cool.

I have a hard time thinking of many rock piano solos that are better.  Sure, a lot of prog guys can play more dazzling solos from a technical standpoint, but as far as fun solos that sound great, they don't get much better than this one.

Love me some Skynyrd! I can honestly say that I've enjoyed every song I've ever heard from them and Call Me the Breeze is no exception.

Why don't I own any of their albums again?  :)

Honestly, to me, Skynyrd is one of those bands where it is best to spend 10-15 bucks at amazon or iTunes just buying their best songs individually.

« Reply #1977 on: March 05, 2014, 08:19:40 PM »
Call Me the Breeze has a great catchy groove, and such a positive vibe for being so bluesy.  I never tire of listening to this "feel good" song.  Yes, it has some great piano, as well as neat horns.

Skynyrd pumped out their first 5 albums in consecutive years starting in 1973, then they were dealt a horrible tragedy.  IMO, some of their best tracks on these albums were not the radio hits.  Skynyrd is my favorite group from the Southern Rock genre.  They had lots of soul and were pretty darned good musicians.

Nice pick, Kev.  And great job with this thread; I'm liking it.  :tup
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:28:14 PM by 7deg_inner_happiness »
- Ronzoni -

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1978 on: March 05, 2014, 10:35:50 PM »
Thanks!  I am doing my best. :)

The Guess Who - American Woman

This is one of those songs that every classic rock fan knows like the back of their hand, but it seems to be a song no one ever talks about anymore.  It kind of gets the "yeah, I know that song" treatment.  I remember hearing it at a very young age, probably because my parents liked The Guess Who a lot, so by the time I went through my classic rock discovery phase in 1989 and 1990, I already knew it pretty well. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1979 on: March 06, 2014, 08:11:08 AM »
Like you say, as familiar as the back of my hand. My brother bought The Best of The Guess Who in the very early '70s and wore out the grooves of side one. Since we shared a bedroom I had These Eyes, Laughing, Undun, No Time, American Woman, and No Sugar Tonight / New Mother Nature all imprinted onto my DNA. My children automatically sing along with these songs if I just simply hum the chorus.

Still, I like American Woman even when it's being performed by Lenny K. (especially the video).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1980 on: March 06, 2014, 09:02:07 AM »
Yeah, I was going through my Guess Who songs on iTunes last night, and I had totally forgot about some of those songs.  They definitely have not been featured in this thread for the last time!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1981 on: March 06, 2014, 10:13:57 AM »
The Guess Who have a lot of really good songs, but somehow I've never pursued them.  No albums, not even a greatest hits thing.  Basically, by the time I was buying music, I was already into prog, so I have very little straight pop in my collection.

Years later, I heard a radio interview with Burton Cummings and he touched on the breakup of The Guess Who.  He talked about how the band was actually starting to get into more complex music.  That's the direction they wanted to go.  He told a story about how they were doing a song one time that had a 9/8 section, and it just hit him that he didn't want to have to count while he's trying to sing.  Songs should be in 4/4, maybe 3/4, but sure as hell not 9/8.

Okay, that's one attitude, and I understand it even if I don't agree.  If you're a pop singer with no prog leanings whatsoever, you're not going to want to sing in 9/8 and have to count it out just to know when to sing your part.

The full-length version of "American Woman" has that acoustic shuffle part before the main song starts, which is kinda cool even if it doesn't really add anything.  The long version of "No Time" has a few more breaks and solos.  "No Sugar Tonight / New Mother Nature" is very clever in how the two songs fit together.  I see these all now as examples that The Guess Who were really shooting for something more than basic pop songs.  Maybe someday I'll buy a Guess Who album.

« Reply #1982 on: March 06, 2014, 08:03:56 PM »
American Woman, fun tune.  I always laugh at the end of the song with the vocals, drawn-out lower pitch:
Gonna look you right in the eye...tell you what I'm gonna do:
You know I'm gonna LEEEEEEEAVE!
You know I'm gonna GOOOOOOOO!    :lol
- Ronzoni -

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1983 on: March 06, 2014, 08:26:55 PM »
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

Somehow, I never heard this song until the mid 2000s, or maybe it's that I never paid attention to it until then, cause it was played on the radio here in St. Louis, as the one year KSHE did an A-Z week where they played every song in their rotation in alphabetical order of the titles, and Ziggy Stardust was the last song played.  Anyway, great, fun song; love the vocal melodies, and the guitar melody is lots of fun, too.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1984 on: March 06, 2014, 10:07:03 PM »
I like the song, and I have a soft spot for songs that tell a story, but I've never understood the massive adoration some people have for it.  Yes, it's a great song, but calm down, it's just a song.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1985 on: March 07, 2014, 08:21:50 AM »
I couldn't recall anything about this song so I fired it up on Youtube. The opening riff sorta rang a bell but the rest of the song I was unfamiliar with. Yeah...not my thing I guess.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1986 on: March 08, 2014, 09:31:26 AM »
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

This had to be featured at some point, so, I figured, why not now?  To a lot of people, this song is overplayed and overrated, but while it might be overplayed, I cannot call it overrated.  While I might not call it the best rock song ever like a lot of people do, it still is totally awesome in just about every way possible.  Sure, the guitar intro sounds a lot like the song Taurus by Spirit (a band LZ had toured with in the late 60s), but if we hold ripping someone off against Zeppelin, we'd have to demote a lot of their songs. :lol :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1987 on: March 08, 2014, 10:33:46 AM »
This is one of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs.  I agree, it cannot be overrated.  It is a perfectly constructed song.

With each verse and refrain, there are subtle changes, additions and subtractions.  The Mellotron which initially was the only instrument you heard besides the acoustic guitar and which provides countermelody to the first verse, eventually drops out.  Electric guitar isn't added until the first refrain.  There is no bass at first, but piano instead provides the bass and fills.  Bass and drums come in halfway through the verses.  Everything leading up to the guitar solo is a slow buildup, changing, building strength and rhythm, getting louder.  It's the foreplay.

The guitar solo of course is where things kick into high gear.  The heavy thrusting.  Foreplay is over; we're breaking some sweat now, baby.  The bed is rocking.

When the vocals come back ("And as we wind on down the road...") it's something new and we're still building.  Both parties are now screaming, the neighbors are complaining.

"...And she's buying a stairway to heaven."  The catharsis, the afterglow.

This song is sex set to music.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1988 on: March 08, 2014, 10:40:44 AM »
awesome

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1989 on: March 08, 2014, 10:53:34 AM »
Heard this on the radio the other day. My first inclination was to change the channel as I've heard this song a billion times, but I caught myself and decided to listen to it. Was reminded how brilliant it really is.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1990 on: March 08, 2014, 12:35:01 PM »
This is one of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs.  I agree, it cannot be overrated.  It is a perfectly constructed song.

With each verse and refrain, there are subtle changes, additions and subtractions.  The Mellotron which initially was the only instrument you heard besides the acoustic guitar and which provides countermelody to the first verse, eventually drops out.  Electric guitar isn't added until the first refrain.  There is no bass at first, but piano instead provides the bass and fills.  Bass and drums come in halfway through the verses.  Everything leading up to the guitar solo is a slow buildup, changing, building strength and rhythm, getting louder.  It's the foreplay.

The guitar solo of course is where things kick into high gear.  The heavy thrusting.  Foreplay is over; we're breaking some sweat now, baby.  The bed is rocking.

When the vocals come back ("And as we wind on down the road...") it's something new and we're still building.  Both parties are now screaming, the neighbors are complaining.

"...And she's buying a stairway to heaven."  The catharsis, the afterglow.

This song is sex set to music.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1991 on: March 08, 2014, 02:14:23 PM »
Bob did it justice.

Chris aptly described it as well.  No matter how many times it's been played (and ended every elementary school dance I ever attended), I will never tire of it.  It's absolutely flawless.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1992 on: March 08, 2014, 02:21:03 PM »
Quite simply the greatest Rock and Roll song ever.   PERIOD.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1993 on: March 08, 2014, 04:44:34 PM »
Not a fan of Zep in general but love this song.  Never released as a single either .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1994 on: March 08, 2014, 05:11:44 PM »
Not a fan of Zep in general but love this song.  Never released as a single either .

Pretty sure that 45s were made to handle 8 minute songs.