Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 159650 times)

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #1470 on: July 13, 2013, 10:45:04 PM »
I first heard Bohemian Rhapsody in 1976.  It was on the car radio, our whole family (seven of us) were on our way to see the Ice Capades.   ;D

It was always cool and dramatic to me, even just ten years old at the time.  For years, that song reminded me of a really good family time.  It still does...as well as being a magnificent jam!   :metal
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1471 on: July 14, 2013, 09:01:58 PM »
Excellent song, but (and cue the hate), it's over-rated.  Look, it's a top 100 song of all time in my books, but it ain't worth all the fellating it usually gets, and is getting here so far.  Let's not forget it was a completely forgotten tune in the 80s, and likely would've remained so had it not (as Blob pointed out) gotten the resurgence thanks to Mike Myers.

However ... (damn, was gonna post a link to the "I'm just a poor boy" thread - but where is it?)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline sueño

« Reply #1472 on: July 14, 2013, 09:21:04 PM »
Not necessarily so, at least not in my case.  I can't say I've ever watched Wayne's World all the way thru, not my kind of movie when it came out.

But I've loved that song since *it* came out, so..   :smiley:
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1473 on: July 14, 2013, 09:47:01 PM »
Completely forgotten song in the 80s my ASS. Just because it had a chart resurgence due to Wayne's World didn't mean people forgot about it for a decade. You don't forget about a song as awesome, as iconic, as Bohemian Rhapsody.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline sueño

« Reply #1474 on: July 14, 2013, 09:47:41 PM »
Thank you!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1475 on: July 14, 2013, 10:06:29 PM »
Completely forgotten song in the 80s my ASS. Just because it had a chart resurgence due to Wayne's World didn't mean people forgot about it for a decade. You don't forget about a song as awesome, as iconic, as Bohemian Rhapsody.

Well, it hardly got any radio play up here in the 80s.  As I recall, 70s bands like The Eagles, Supertramp and Genesis got more attention than Queen - from their 70s and 80s output.  Maybe because by the mid-late 80s, Queen was doing some stuff that was a little more 'out there' than others.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1476 on: July 14, 2013, 10:29:33 PM »
However ... (damn, was gonna post a link to the "I'm just a poor boy" thread - but where is it?)

archived

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=6678.0
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1477 on: July 14, 2013, 10:55:47 PM »

This. 

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1478 on: July 15, 2013, 05:36:55 AM »
Bohemian Rhapsody is on the same level with 2112 or ACOS for me. Even though it's three times shorter, it's pretty much equally epic.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1479 on: July 15, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »
Probably my favorite song of all time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1480 on: July 15, 2013, 01:05:20 PM »
Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen

Great song, with a great riff.  It was years before I discovered this wasn't a Fleetwood Mac song - I was young, so my ignorance was excusable. :lol

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1481 on: July 15, 2013, 01:25:26 PM »
This reminds me a lot of Pat Benetar, of that early 80s female angst rock.  The riff is cool, but a bit repetitive.  I usually change the station if this comes on, but it's not a bad song, just more neutral to me.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1482 on: July 15, 2013, 01:42:02 PM »
I liked it when it first came out, and maybe the first four or five times I heard the song.  Now, honestly, I can't stand it.  It really is repetitive, and since it's pretty much the only Stevie solo song that they play anymore, that just makes it worse.

I remember one time this song came on, and I just turned the radio off.  Our drummer asks me "Have you heard her new one yet?"  I hadn't, so I asked him if it was any better.  "Nah.  It's the same song, only with keyboards instead of guitar."  He talking about "Stand Back" of course.  Same riff over and over and over and over until you want to strangle a small animal.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1483 on: July 15, 2013, 03:38:55 PM »
I've complained frequently in this thread that local classic rock radio sucks.

The fact that Stop Draggin' My Heart Around is the sole solo Stevie Nicks song to get any airplay these days utterly redeems the station, though.

When I was back in school, there was a guy who was seen as being a talented artist. People gushed all over his artwork every time he drew something new. Me, though, I had a problem with it. The guy had a thing for Stevie Nicks. A huge thing. So much a thing that the only face he could draw was hers. Even on men. While the guy largely produced fantasy artwork, and generally of the elves and unicorns and hearts and flowers type (you'd be amazed how well Stevie Nicks' face 30 years ago worked as elves), it was still disconcerting when the guy produced his latest bit of art and once again, there was Stevie Nicks.

It would appear, therefore, that the universe, in some ways, is hardwired for repetition and Stevie Nicks.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1484 on: July 15, 2013, 05:40:06 PM »
Money, as always. :rollin :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1485 on: July 17, 2013, 07:55:58 AM »
Speaking of $$$...

Pink Floyd - Money

It seems like this is the one Floyd song where overplaying it has hurt how much people like it, as many often overlook it or refer to it as one of their least best "hits" of the 70s, but I can't agree with that; I think it is still just as great as I thought it was the first time I heard it. 

Offline sueño

« Reply #1486 on: July 17, 2013, 07:58:49 AM »
Speaking of $$$...

Pink Floyd - Money

It seems like this is the one Floyd song where overplaying it has hurt how much people like it, as many often overlook it or refer to it as one of their least best "hits" of the 70s, but I can't agree with that; I think it is still just as great as I thought it was the first time I heard it.

Love this.  It is a jam!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1487 on: July 17, 2013, 08:16:47 AM »
I still think it's the third best song on the album.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1488 on: July 17, 2013, 08:24:20 AM »
Great song.  I've always loved how the seven sounds of the cash register set the rhythm for the song.  Cash registers don't even make those sounds anymore.  In time, children will wonder what those noises are.  I'll just tell them that they're too young to understand.

Obviously the verses are in 7/4, probably the first popular song to be in seven (since Rush wasn't around yet), but after the jam in 4/4, ever noticed how when they come back to 7/4 for the third verse, it's much faster?  The tempo is that of the break jam, even though the meter is back to seven.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1489 on: July 17, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »
Such a great, classic song. It's almost too much groove
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1490 on: July 17, 2013, 08:58:16 AM »
It's overplayed, but...let's face it. It's off Dark Side of the Moon. It's a great song. This is an occasion where overplaying it isn't that big of a deal.  :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1491 on: July 17, 2013, 09:30:33 AM »
The Pulse version is so good

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1492 on: July 17, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
It's overplayed, but...let's face it. It's off Dark Side of the Moon. It's a great song. This is an occasion where overplaying it isn't that big of a deal.  :lol

This.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1493 on: July 17, 2013, 09:58:24 AM »

I agree too

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1494 on: July 17, 2013, 01:36:09 PM »
Oi, a lovely, dirty hard rock song with some proggy edge. Me likey. My second favourite on :dsotm:, behind Us and Them.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1495 on: July 17, 2013, 03:49:31 PM »
I actually find the verses of the song sort of clunky and plodding.  I think the instrumental break is really enjoyable though.  Probably my least favorite on DSOTM.  I don't think overplaying hurts it, it just is what it is and it's not one of my favorite PF songs.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1496 on: July 20, 2013, 09:45:47 AM »
It's weird to see this thread vacant

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1497 on: July 20, 2013, 12:01:42 PM »
I've been distracted by my top 50 albums thread, but I'll get to a song in this thread later today!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1498 on: July 20, 2013, 11:25:22 PM »
Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle

I have never been a huge fan of Steve Miller, but I have always dug this song a lot.  I love the various keyboard sounds it; they give the song a very ethereal feel.

Offline sueño

« Reply #1499 on: July 20, 2013, 11:33:34 PM »
I love that song! 

"ooohhhoohhh there's a solution..."

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1500 on: July 21, 2013, 12:21:12 AM »
Great song. A bit trippy!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1501 on: July 21, 2013, 06:06:22 AM »
I've got his box set and it's perfect for me.  Great spacey tune.  I always loved his sense of melody.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1502 on: July 21, 2013, 07:36:49 AM »
Another great song.  Steve Miller hit on just the right formula for me in 1976 with Fly Like an Eagle and Book of Dreams, which were both actually recorded during the same sessions.  He ended up with two albums' worth of material and decided to release two LPs half a year apart.  Wise move, as he ended up with several hits, including most of my faves from him, from each of them.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1503 on: July 21, 2013, 08:34:41 AM »
To me, there is no song that symbolizes more the sound of the synthesizer in the 70s more than Fly Like An Eagle. Simply because, at my young age at the time, with no exposure to prog rock, it was the first time I really heard a synthesizer, and the sounds on this song really did feel like time slipping into the future. Oh yeah, nowadays it sounds dated and cheesy, and there are a lot better synth sounds from even earlier in the decade, but Fly Like An Eagle sounded like it was coming from another decade back then.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1504 on: July 21, 2013, 09:02:50 AM »
Very cool tune. Miller always did walk that line between greatness and weirdness.