Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 159610 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #945 on: April 26, 2013, 04:43:28 PM »
Led Zeppelin - Black Dog

If I never hear this, Misty Mountain Hop, Four Sticks and Stairway EVER again it'll be too soon.  Black Dog was good the first few times I heard it, but classic rock radio just pounded this and a LOT of Zoso in the ground.

Sniff 'n' the Tears - Driver's Seat
I have a feeling that, if I did a version of this thread featuring what I remember as classic rock hits, I'd probably all too frequently puzzle Kev with what were clearly east coast wonders.  :lol I have no clue what this song is.

I'm with Jaq. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #946 on: April 27, 2013, 06:09:14 AM »
Sniff 'n' the Tears - Driver's Seat

Wasn't just a regional hit, as it had it's day up here.  One of those C-List songs, but still a lot of fun to listen to.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #947 on: April 27, 2013, 12:20:15 PM »
Yeah, I am pretty sure that was not just a regional hit, but :lol at Jaq's comment nonetheless.

Paul McCartney - Maybe I'm Amazed

Somehow, I missed out on this song early in my classic rock days, and it wasn't on the McCartney best of I bought in the early 90s (WTF?!?!), but I eventually got it, and it is a really nice song. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #948 on: April 27, 2013, 01:01:24 PM »
Great song!  Paul McCartney can write a melody like no one else.  I prefer the live version from Wings Over America, but that's probably because I heard it first.  The studio version is a bit drier, but still very good.  I learned this one a few years ago and got to play it live a few times.  Slightly trickier than it sounds.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #949 on: April 27, 2013, 02:22:22 PM »
The great thing about Maybe I'm Amazed for people like me who sing along to the radio poorly is this: all you have to hit is all of the "maybe I'm amazed" in the verses, and then you can just kind of scat on the choruses, and it WORKS.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #950 on: April 28, 2013, 11:58:55 AM »
Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit

Cool song, but not one I was ever a huge fan of.  I like it, but it ends there, although I did like it a bit more after it was featured in an episode of the Sopranos in Season 1.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: April 28, 2013, 12:54:47 PM »

Cool song, but not one I was ever a huge fan of.  I like it, but it ends there, although I did like it a bit more after it was featured in an episode of the Sopranos in Season 1.

The only sub 3 minute song I would consider epic.  Slick is an absolute gem in this one.  I remember competing once a few years ago in the 'thunderdome' tournaments that ran here, and the category was 'female vocalist'.  My competitor and I both chose this as one of our songs.  Fortunately, I won the coin flip, and got to use it - and it was a winner.

Love this one to death.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline masterthes

« Reply #952 on: April 28, 2013, 03:02:02 PM »
Jingle put it right on the nose. The shortest epic in rock music. The song kicks so much ass in so little time

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #953 on: April 28, 2013, 04:48:24 PM »
Paul McCartney - Maybe I'm Amazed

Great song.

:heart

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: April 28, 2013, 05:19:27 PM »
The shortest epic in rock music. The song kicks so much ass in so little time

I love this song very much, and never would have thought of this, but it is about as accurate a description of a song there is.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #955 on: April 29, 2013, 02:13:30 PM »
Billy Thorpe - Children of the Sun

My head will explode if all classic rock fans here do not know this song.  Seriously.  Awesome song, with one of the best intros in classic rock history.  This was even number 1 one year on KSHE-95's Rock and Roll 500.  That is how popular the song is here in the Midwest.  But is it everywhere else?  I guess we will see... :lol :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: April 29, 2013, 02:17:11 PM »
A few of the songs you listed I had never heard of before. But I've heard this on local radio. Haven't heard in a long time, but remember liking it enough. But #1? Of all time?? That's not even one of the best songs with word "Sun" in the title.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #957 on: April 29, 2013, 02:18:30 PM »
Never heard of the song, or the artist.

Kev = :splodearms:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #958 on: April 29, 2013, 02:19:41 PM »
Well, KSHE mixes it up every year, so the top 500 is different from year to year.  Hell, I remember one year they even put Stairway to Heaven at number 500, just for the hell of it. :lol  And Children of the Sun is popular enough here to where its placement at number 1 wasn't strange or anything.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #959 on: April 29, 2013, 03:24:12 PM »
I've heard of this one, actually thought it was a kinda cool song.  I can't say I really liked it, though.  It just seemed like it was trying to be cosmic or sci-fi just to be cosmic or sci-fi.  Maybe if you smoked a bunch of non-tobacco it might seem really awesome.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #960 on: April 29, 2013, 07:43:56 PM »

My head will explode if all classic rock fans here do not know this song.  Seriously.  Awesome song, with one of the best intros in classic rock history.  This was even number 1 one year on KSHE-95's Rock and Roll 500.  That is how popular the song is here in the Midwest.  But is it everywhere else?  I guess we will see... :lol :lol

It was huge in Austin back in the day - smokin song that one is. :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: April 29, 2013, 07:59:04 PM »

His work with the Aztecs was much popular in Austrlaia.  A real classic Aussie icon, great musician, shame he passed at only 60.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #962 on: April 29, 2013, 08:08:33 PM »

His work with the Aztecs was much popular in Austrlaia.  A real classic Aussie icon, great musician, shame he passed at only 60.

Billy Thorpe's dead? Aww man.... :-[

This song was pretty big here; I actually owned the album this was on, the second side was a sci-fi suite that began with Children of The Sun while the first was straight up rock songs. In the later 80s Thorpe released an album that featured the original suite re-mixed and a few more songs continuing the story, but I was always fond of the original album.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: April 30, 2013, 05:17:45 AM »
Yeah, 2007 I think, heart attack.  :'(
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: April 30, 2013, 05:25:35 AM »
Never heard of the song, or the artist.

Kev = :splodearms:

same here ..never heard of him or the song
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #965 on: April 30, 2013, 09:04:02 AM »
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Woodstock

Love, love, love (!) this song.  Some songs just scream classic rock to me, and this is one of them. 

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #966 on: April 30, 2013, 12:31:25 PM »
Good song, but not my favorite by them.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: April 30, 2013, 12:39:56 PM »
Good song, but not my favorite by them.

Agreed ...Classic band but if I had to pick one song by them it would be Suite : Judy Blue Eyes

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: April 30, 2013, 12:41:44 PM »
Agreed ...Classic band but if I had to pick one song by them it would be Suite : Judy Blue Eyes

Seconded.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #969 on: April 30, 2013, 12:42:29 PM »
Er, that song was already covered in this thread. ??? :facepalm:

Plus, the idea was not to necessarily feature the best song by every band, but to discuss the song at hand.  Throwing out "I like this other song by them more" is kind of defeating the purpose of the thread.  I mean, if that is the case, then almost every song would result in someone saying "Eh, they have better songs," instead of, ya know, discussing the Song of the Day. :biggrin:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #970 on: April 30, 2013, 01:55:13 PM »
I like "Woodstock".  I always thought it was interesting that Joni Mitchell wrote this song about the Woodstock Festival, but she didn't actually go.

I never understand the words in the chorus until I saw James Taylor perform this song on TV.  "We are stardust, we are golden, we are million-year-old carbon".  It was the last part that always confused me.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #971 on: April 30, 2013, 02:06:21 PM »
Er, that song was already covered in this thread. ??? :facepalm:

Plus, the idea was not to necessarily feature the best song by every band, but to discuss the song at hand.  Throwing out "I like this other song by them more" is kind of defeating the purpose of the thread.  I mean, if that is the case, then almost every song would result in someone saying "Eh, they have better songs," instead of, ya know, discussing the Song of the Day. :biggrin:

sorry Kev  didn't go back through the entire thread...as for the song Woodstock itself, can't add anything since its kinda meh for me when looking at their discography

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #972 on: April 30, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
Oh, no need to apologize! :)  I am just saying, I'd rather seeing discussion of the song at hand rather than it being dismissed because said artist has other better songs. 

I will use the Eagles as an example.  Let's say that everyone agrees Hotel California is their best song (which I know they don't, but let's assume it for the sake of this argument).  Now, the Eagles have a bunch of other classic rock mainstays, but if posting any of them is always gonna be met with "Hotel California is better"-type comments, then what is the point?  That is all I am saying. :)

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #973 on: April 30, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »
Oh, no need to apologize! :)  I am just saying, I'd rather seeing discussion of the song at hand rather than it being dismissed because said artist has other better songs. 

I will use the Eagles as an example.  Let's say that everyone agrees Hotel California is their best song (which I know they don't, but let's assume it for the sake of this argument).  Now, the Eagles have a bunch of other classic rock mainstays, but if posting any of them is always gonna be met with "Hotel California is better"-type comments, then what is the point?  That is all I am saying. :)

Fully Understood   :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #974 on: April 30, 2013, 07:38:12 PM »
Whoops. :lolpalm:

I will say that "Woodstock" reminds me of summers with my Dad. :)

Offline Jaq

« Reply #975 on: May 01, 2013, 08:39:59 AM »
Woodstock, around these parts, was the "other" CSN song on local radio-the only other song local radio played was, you guessed it, Suite: Judy Blue Eyes-back in my youth, but it seems to have claimed the spot of sole CSN classic on the radio here. Well, okay, inexplicably Southern Cross gets some airplay, go figure...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #976 on: May 01, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »
Bob Seger - Turn the Page

I have to admit that I have irrational and unexplainable hate for almost anything this guy does.  I think it probably stems from my parents playing Old Time Rock and Roll a lot when I was really young, and I hated that song more than anything.  But I would still almost always rather run head first through a brick wall than listen to anything this guy does.  But this song is probably the one exception.  I won't do anything crazy like admit that I like it, but I will just say that it isn't nearly as objectionable as everything else I've ever heard by him. :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #977 on: May 01, 2013, 09:46:55 AM »
Really, really love the song

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: May 01, 2013, 09:56:59 AM »
^ What he said.  Such a soulful and emotional bluesy/rock-ballad.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #979 on: May 01, 2013, 10:34:32 AM »
I grew up in Michigan, even lived in Ann Arbor for a while (Bob Seger is from Ann Arbor; most people think he's from Detroit), so it's pretty much required that I like Bob Seger.  I was with him up through his first live album, then things took a serious downturn.

Anyway, "Turn the Page" is a great song, a scrapbook of life on the road.  I've always loved how you can hear the exhaustion in his voice, the frustration in the restaurant, the loneliness in the hotel room.  It's perfect.  Compare that to Metallica's horrible cover, where you can hear Hetfield trying so hard to sound like he has actual emotion, when he's really just screaming and posing.