Author Topic: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: ZZ Top)  (Read 31725 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: Rush)
« Reply #420 on: August 16, 2019, 05:50:42 AM »
All killer, no filler.  My #3 Rush album (behind AFtK and MP).  Just glorious.  Took me a while to be able to digest the title track after I got deeply 'in' to Rush ('89), as I had gravitated to Xanadu as my fav long-epic of theirs.  Hemispheres (song) is a little bloated, but it's still on the Rush A-list.  La Villa is absolutely God-tier, and a top 20 song of all time in the jingle books (and 2nd fave Rush song)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #421 on: August 16, 2019, 08:52:59 AM »
What's number one?  Should I know that?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: August 16, 2019, 09:26:38 AM »
What's number one?  Should I know that?

Well, actually ... I typo'd and there's a virtual tie for #1 (making LVS #3).

Red Barchetta and Xanadu
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #423 on: August 16, 2019, 09:45:53 AM »
Xanadudu :neverusethis:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #424 on: August 16, 2019, 10:14:08 AM »

Red Barchetta and Xanadu

You and I are in total agreement on this!

I rate Red Barchetta my #1, and Xanadu right behind it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: August 16, 2019, 10:18:52 AM »
Huh; LVS is my number one, but both those others are right up there (especially Red Barchetta; that to me is almost the perfect song.)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #426 on: August 16, 2019, 10:26:43 AM »
Been doing a lot of driving in the hills north of San Diego this week, and every time the road starts to decline I am totally thinking "...goes screaming through the valley...."  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: August 16, 2019, 10:29:14 AM »

Red Barchetta and Xanadu

You and I are in total agreement on this!

I rate Red Barchetta my #1, and Xanadu right behind it.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: August 16, 2019, 10:46:46 AM »
Why is Jingle under the desk high-fiving TAC?  That's what that is, right? 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #429 on: August 16, 2019, 10:58:16 AM »
Disclaimer:

I have nothing to do with that gif. I don't even know who that is.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #430 on: August 16, 2019, 11:07:08 AM »
Just kidding. I know who Jingle.Boy is.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #431 on: August 16, 2019, 11:35:19 AM »
Just kidding. I know who Jingle.Boy is.

You know him by his mole?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #432 on: August 16, 2019, 09:38:57 PM »
Um...not that well, apparently. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: August 17, 2019, 05:37:48 AM »
 :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: The Boss)
« Reply #434 on: August 17, 2019, 07:15:02 AM »
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

I will admit that I am not much of a fan of Springsteen. I do like a dozen or so of songs, although I rarely reach for them on their own.  From this classic album, I do like the title track, and Jungleland is a heckuva song as well.  I never quite got the love for Thunder Road, although there is a nice melody in there somewhere.  The crappy sound of this album doesn't do it any favors.  I remember very little about the deeper cuts, all of which I heard years ago.  Let's see if there are any fans of the Boss here who will talk this one up.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: August 17, 2019, 07:32:23 AM »
Mrs.jingle is a big fan of his big albums, but I'm mostly ambivalent - and he absolutely lost me after Born in the USA.  I do absolutely love this album - it just cracked into my original Top 50.  Jungleland is a top 100 all-time song for me.  That and the other big-2 are god-tier for me, while the rest is still excellent, despite a big dropoff in quality - simply because the other 3 are so damn awesome.  She's The One is probably my fave after the other 3, but there isn't a bad track on the album.  We saw him live back in '08 maybe... damn good entertainer, and the band was on fire.  Great show.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: August 17, 2019, 07:56:55 AM »
I've always been a casual fan.  Certain songs connect to me while others, not so much.  I do recognize is genius and craft.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: August 17, 2019, 08:19:44 AM »
From this classic album, I do like the title track, and Jungleland is a heckuva song as well.  I never quite got the love for Thunder Road, although there is a nice melody in there somewhere.

With the addition of enjoying 10th Avenue Freeze Out, this is basically my take.

Edit: Also, "You ain't a beauty but, hey, you're alright." is not a recommended romantic line for anyone but the Boss, me thinks.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 08:25:15 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #438 on: August 18, 2019, 12:13:03 AM »
I will admit that I am not much of a fan of Springsteen. I do like a dozen or so of songs, although I rarely reach for them on their own.

This is me too, although I must say that I saw him twice and he puts on a good high energy show.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #439 on: August 18, 2019, 07:29:34 AM »
My brother saw him years ago when he did a tour by himself where he sang and played an acoustic the whole show, and to this day he swears that if someone would have offered him a revolver so he could have put himself out of his misery, he would have done it.  :lol :lol

Note: he went with his wife at the time (now ex-wife), since she is a big fan.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: August 18, 2019, 09:05:19 AM »
I'm not the hugest Boss fan - I love "The Rising" and "Wrecking Ball", I really like "Born In The USA" and "Nebraska", and most of his "classic stuff" is eh - but having seen the Broadway show, there's no doubt he's one of the two or three greatest living American musical artists. 

Yeah, it was scripted, and yeah, at the start of the show he concedes he's a fraud (never having "worked" any of the jobs he writes about) but his ability to captivate is unparalleled.  I've seen him in arenas, stadia and the theater, and for this one, for most of the show, I could hear him raw (that is, without the amplification) and I was very impressed.  VERY impressed.   

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #441 on: August 18, 2019, 12:10:57 PM »
My brother saw him years ago when he did a tour by himself where he sang and played an acoustic the whole show, and to this day he swears that if someone would have offered him a revolver so he could have put himself out of his misery, he would have done it.  :lol :lol

Note: he went with his wife at the time (now ex-wife), since she is a big fan.

The second time I saw him, he had a small acoustic set in the middle of the show and yes, that wasn't really that interesting. But with the whole band he was seriously rocking.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 70's Classic Albums Discussion (now featuring: Stevie!)
« Reply #442 on: August 18, 2019, 06:19:12 PM »
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

I will admit that I do not listen to soul or R&B that much, but whenever I do, Stevie Wonder is one of my go-to artists, and this album is a major classic.  I remember seeing on VH1 Classic about 20 years ago a live version of Living for the City, which I had never heard before, and it absolutely floored me; what an amazing song.  I eventually got Innervisions and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, since, as stated before, this kind of music is usually not my thing, but like I always say, good music is good music!  He's Misstra Know It All, the album closer, might be my favorite song by Stevie Wonder.  This is really good stuff.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: August 19, 2019, 06:07:27 AM »
Looking at the track listing, I don't believe I've ever heard a song of this album. I'll remedy that today.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #444 on: August 19, 2019, 07:01:54 AM »
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

I will admit that I do not listen to soul or R&B that much, but whenever I do, Stevie Wonder is one of my go-to artists, and this album is a major classic.  I remember seeing on VH1 Classic about 20 years ago a live version of Living for the City, which I had never heard before, and it absolutely floored me; what an amazing song.  I eventually got Innervisions and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, since, as stated before, this kind of music is usually not my thing, but like I always say, good music is good music!  He's Misstra Know It All, the album closer, might be my favorite song by Stevie Wonder.  This is really good stuff.
this is my favourite album of his (along with Songs In The Key Of Life of course), I consider him to be a genius (and I rarely use that word)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #445 on: August 19, 2019, 07:02:44 AM »
Looking at the track listing, I don't believe I've ever heard a song of this album. I'll remedy that today.
I'm sure you know Living For The City though? (btw Toto covered it in 2002 and they did it really well)

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #446 on: August 19, 2019, 07:22:21 AM »
Don't know many Stevie Wonder songs, some I like, some not so much, don't know if he's a genius, but he's also responsible for one of the musical crimes of the century:

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday  >:( :censored :omg:

No matter the noble intention but that song is atrocious.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #447 on: August 19, 2019, 07:29:44 AM »
Don't know many Stevie Wonder songs, some I like, some not so much, don't know if he's a genius, but he's also responsible for one of the musical crimes of the century:

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday  >:( :censored :omg:

No matter the noble intention but that song is atrocious.
"crime", maybe yes, but even these are difficult (harmonically speaking, I've analysed some of his stuff in music college, the guy knows his onions)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: August 19, 2019, 07:56:27 AM »
Mrs.jingle is a big fan of his big albums, but I'm mostly ambivalent - and he absolutely lost me after Born in the USA.  I do absolutely love this album - it just cracked into my original Top 50.  Jungleland is a top 100 all-time song for me.  That and the other big-2 are god-tier for me, while the rest is still excellent, despite a big dropoff in quality - simply because the other 3 are so damn awesome.  She's The One is probably my fave after the other 3, but there isn't a bad track on the album.  We saw him live back in '08 maybe... damn good entertainer, and the band was on fire.  Great show.

I hear you, on "lost me after BitUSA" (by the way, "Downbound Train" is perhaps my favorite Bruce tune).   But what from after that have you heard?    You should give Wrecking Ball a try.    I wasn't expected much, but it blew me away.  That's  good record, by any standard.   

By the way, there's a video out there of Bruce on "VH1 Storytellers" and he is very humble and makes a joke about the Manfred Mann version of Blinded By The Light.   The original lyric is "cut loose like a deuce" (it's a car reference), but MM changed it to "revved up like a deuce", and it SOUNDS like "wrapped up like a douche" instead.  It's actually kind of funny. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #449 on: August 19, 2019, 08:04:16 AM »
By the way, there's a video out there of Bruce on "VH1 Storytellers" and he is very humble and makes a joke about the Manfred Mann version of Blinded By The Light.   The original lyric is "cut loose like a deuce" (it's a car reference), but MM changed it to "revved up like a deuce", and it SOUNDS like "wrapped up like a douche" instead.  It's actually kind of funny.

I was just listening to that last week. I've never understood how nobody pointed that out and changed it. It's not even subtle, it's hard to even call it a misheard lyric because of how audible the 'sh' is. Enunciate, motherfucker, lest your song be a joke for future generations. I mean, it already sucks, you don't need to throw that cherry on the sundae.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #450 on: August 19, 2019, 09:28:28 AM »
Innervisions is one of two Stevie Wonder albums I own, along with Songs in the Key of Life. Favourite tracks are Golden Lady, Don't You Worry Bout A Thing (the intro is ridiculous, but the rest of the song more than makes up for it), and He's Misstra Know It All.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: August 19, 2019, 09:45:35 AM »
Listened to Innervisions this morning. It was very enjoyable. Still, not something I'd tend to revisit.

I was wrong, though. I had heard Higher Ground and Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing before.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: August 19, 2019, 10:38:28 AM »
Was expecting something by Stevie Nicks. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #453 on: August 19, 2019, 10:46:54 AM »
Was expecting something by Stevie Nicks.
Rumours, by any chance?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: August 19, 2019, 10:51:25 AM »
Ha, no. Just if I am thinking 70s music and someone says Stevie! my mind goes to her, not Stevie Wonder.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'