Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 998941 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #6720 on: November 07, 2015, 08:50:51 AM »
I think, in this moment, Honor Thy Father is in my top 30 favorite DT songs (it doesn't look so good but considering many people dislike it, I think it is controversial :D ). Great drumming, very good vocal melodies (other than spoken/rapping parts among better ones in heavy DT song), awesome keyboard solo.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline efx

« Reply #6721 on: November 07, 2015, 09:13:41 AM »
My little opinion: These Walls is by far the best track on Octavarium. It's definitely in my top 10 list of all time DT songs.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6722 on: November 07, 2015, 09:15:47 AM »
My little opinion: These Walls is by far the best track on Octavarium. It's definitely in my top 10 list of all time DT songs.

It would be a tough call between that and Octavarium for me (hard to compare such different songs), but I also rank it extremely highly. :tup Such a beautiful song.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6723 on: November 07, 2015, 09:19:52 AM »
Repentance is their best ballad after Disappear imo. And I don't feel it drags, at all.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6724 on: November 07, 2015, 09:20:40 AM »
TW is so weird for me, first I disliked it, then at some point I started to appreciate it and it was in my like, top three 8VM songs, and now it's back at the bottom three. Is Sacrificed Sons as a tie for favorite 8VM song controversial?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #6725 on: November 07, 2015, 09:22:17 AM »
Repentance is their best ballad. And I don't feel it drags, at all.

And it's not even a contest. Overall I feel that DT's ballads are incredibly subpar and boring apart from a few exceptions.

Is Sacrificed Sons as a tie for favorite 8VM song controversial?

Not sure, but it's in my top 3 after Octavarium and TROAE.

Offline efx

« Reply #6726 on: November 07, 2015, 09:23:17 AM »

It would be a tough call between that and Octavarium for me (hard to compare such different songs), but I also rank it extremely highly. :tup Such a beautiful song.

It really is beautiful. Everything from the scaled down orchestrations of the verse to JR's awesome piano work in the bridge to that awesome guitar melody/solo and the bitching outro just makes it a really coherent song that is just as perfect as anything they have done. I have known it since its release in 2005 and it's never wavered for me.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #6727 on: November 07, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
Is Sacrificed Sons as a tie for favorite 8VM song controversial?

It depends if you mean tied with Never Enough. Then I'd say yes.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6728 on: November 07, 2015, 09:33:35 AM »

Love that song, one of the best concise songs they've ever made. Wonderful chorus, the whole flows nicely, it has a mood that does not get derailed with a 3 minute solo, it's just a nice simple perfect song. Would love to hear it live again.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline NotePad

« Reply #6729 on: November 07, 2015, 09:35:03 AM »
I wish Dream Theater nowadays didn't take so much influence from 'new' bands, like Red. It's okay to have different influences, i mean I always liked the effect Tool's music had on ToT and parts of 6 Degrees, but sometimes it's a bit too much. Inmy opinion, of course ;p

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6730 on: November 07, 2015, 09:48:57 AM »
I wish Dream Theater nowadays didn't take so much influence from 'new' bands, like Red. It's okay to have different influences, i mean I always liked the effect Tool's music had on ToT and parts of 6 Degrees, but sometimes it's a bit too much. Inmy opinion, of course ;p
If anything I thought Tool's music had influence on SFAM :lol

It depends if you mean tied with Never Enough. Then I'd say yes.
No, I was talking about The Answer Lies Within.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline 425

« Reply #6731 on: November 07, 2015, 10:21:49 AM »

Yeah, These Walls is a definite second for me after Octavarium, and fits cleanly into my top 25.

Repentance is their best ballad after Disappear imo. And I don't feel it drags, at all.

I like Repentance more than most, but I like Disappear less than most. Wait for Sleep, Far From Heaven, Space Dye Vest and Vacant are better than both, in my opinion.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6732 on: November 07, 2015, 11:08:46 AM »
Repentance is really underrated here. One of the best song on SC (I think I already said that recently).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6733 on: November 07, 2015, 02:05:42 PM »
Repentance is really underrated here. One of the best song on SC (I think I already said that recently).

It's the opposite for me. For some reason it my least favorite song from that album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6734 on: November 07, 2015, 02:32:01 PM »
I just love the atmosphere of it, the vocal lines, and the amazing instrumentation. And dat solo  :hefdaddy

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6735 on: November 07, 2015, 02:59:46 PM »
I don't think Repentance is one of the best songs on SC, but it's far from the worst indeed. I agree that all Disappear, Wait for Sleep, Far From Heaven, Space-Dye Vest and Vacant are better than it though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6736 on: November 07, 2015, 03:08:26 PM »
While we're at it, did you guys hear live version of Repentance with Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth on vocals? Awesome.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #6737 on: November 07, 2015, 03:26:34 PM »
 IWBY & TALW < These Walls < every other song on Octavarium
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline pcs90

« Reply #6738 on: November 07, 2015, 04:51:04 PM »
I love TW. There are a lot of other great tracks on that album, but TW is probably my favorite overall.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #6739 on: November 07, 2015, 05:50:32 PM »
TW and IWBY might be my least favorite tracks on 8vm, I prefer NE over those two. Although IWBY is at the bottom, TW grew on me a lot when I saw some of the more recent live versions.

As for Repentance, I think it's fantastic! Love the vocal harmonics, that thick girgling bass and the chord progressions and dat guitar solo.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #6740 on: November 07, 2015, 06:33:53 PM »

It's also DT's best song.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #6741 on: November 07, 2015, 07:10:43 PM »
It's also DT's best song.

Was expecting you sooner when there's a debate about TW.  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6742 on: November 07, 2015, 08:20:22 PM »
TW is one of DT's most emotional songs imo, and top 3 on the album, sharing the summit with 8VM and Never Enough, which I think doesn't get enough love here.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #6743 on: November 07, 2015, 08:21:03 PM »
TW is a song I wish I appreciated more than I do but it's pretty good, yeah

TROAE is the best song off 8vm though and easily top 5 DT  :loser:

Offline OnTheBacksofAngela

• DTF Enthusiast!
  • :)
« Reply #6744 on: November 07, 2015, 08:26:19 PM »

Interesting, you didn't choose 8vm. I don't see that choice that often. Why is that?
Glad to be back.

Offline Cable

« Reply #6745 on: November 07, 2015, 08:28:02 PM »
I think, in this moment, Honor Thy Father is in my top 30 favorite DT songs (it doesn't look so good but considering many people dislike it, I think it is controversial :D ). Great drumming, very good vocal melodies (other than spoken/rapping parts among better ones in heavy DT song), awesome keyboard solo.

:tup

Love the song. Some sweet riffs, the instrumental breakdown is solid.
---

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #6746 on: November 07, 2015, 08:32:56 PM »

Interesting, you didn't choose 8vm. I don't see that choice that often. Why is that?
amazing atmospheric intro, great riffs, fantastic chorus, the kind of evil way labrie sounds in the verses, a pretty great instrumental break, doesn't overstay its welcome, nice inclusion of the 8vm theme at the end, again, that amazing chorus

i never get tired of listening to the song, mostly

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #6747 on: November 07, 2015, 08:59:42 PM »
@Parama: Ah, that makes sense. TROAE is an extremely good song. Top 3, with Sacrificed Sons and 8vm. I'm guessing you would rate 8vm second and Sacrificed sons....3rd maybe?

Some DT opinions/facts that I highly disagree with or completely disagree with:
1) "Oh my gosh, Dream Theater is not progressive rock/metal. They are thrash metal."
My response: Dude...do you even know what thrash metal is? Thrash metal bands are Slayer, Anthrax, Metallica, Megadeth, among others."

2)"James Labrie sings so bad because he takes drugs and all those stuff! He smokes also, that's why he sucks!"
My response: ................... You know what? I'm not going to even respond to that, except these two words: Food Poisoning.

3)"FII is THE worst Dream Theater albums ever! Their attempt to go mainstream are just horrendous."
My response:I wouldn't say it is THE worst. I prefer this over WDADU and ADTOE.

4)"James Labrie is killing Dream Theater."
My response:My same two words: Food Poisoning. I don't care if it isn't grating like some other singers, but Labrie fits with his vocal range. His voice is full of emotion and his pitch range is just amazing.

5)"Mike Portnoy is really impatient. He always has to come in as soon as possible and he can't even wait."
My response:I don't he is that impatient because in some songs, he waits perfectly fine: 8vm, Surrounded, The Answer Lies Within, etc.

6)"Jordan Rudess is all speed and no emotion. Why is he so technical? At least Moore and Sherinian had some melodies."
My response:Have you checked out the songs Disappear, TCoT, TBoT, Wither, A Rite of Passage, heck the list could go on forever.

Glad to be back.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6748 on: November 07, 2015, 09:26:45 PM »
Who the hell says 1 & 2?  :rollin

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #6749 on: November 07, 2015, 09:31:03 PM »
Oh trust me, I've heard those. XD
I had to write that down. ;)
Glad to be back.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6750 on: November 07, 2015, 09:33:31 PM »
I've never seen someone call DT thrash metal.

Anyone who thinks DT has tried to go mainstream since Rudess joined the band is drunk, stupid or both.

I don't think A Rite of Passage is a good example of JR's melodic side. :lol ;)

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #6751 on: November 07, 2015, 09:38:53 PM »
Hm, yeah, you're right. Well I put that there because it wasn't his technical side or is it? I mean, he doesn't play too quickly.
Glad to be back.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6752 on: November 07, 2015, 09:41:20 PM »
Let's put it this way: it was in the context of your "Have you checked out..." post, and I guarantee I would never start someone off with DT or JR by having them listen to the song with that bebot solo. :lol :lol

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #6753 on: November 07, 2015, 09:42:59 PM »
Oh, I see what you mean!  :blush
Thank you for that. *embarassed*
Glad to be back.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #6754 on: November 07, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »
^^^^^^^I think the two best examples of JR playing melodically would be Beneath the Surface and Along for the Ride. If he had used the SFaM/SDoIT era lead sound for those instead of the cheesy sound that was actually used, those would be two of his best solos.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask