Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 115955 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Belichck pulling down Lynn's pants again
« Reply #1330 on: December 09, 2020, 08:54:56 AM »
This is always that time of year, though, and with COVID, it's even worse than before.  With no preseason, the injuries are going to be more of a factor (ask any SF fan), and so it's all up in the air.  I think if anyone tells you they "know" who will be in the Super Bowl, they're deluding themselves.

I'm Team New Orleans right now, and I'm deeply concerned that they've peaked.   In a one-game playoff situation, the Steelers are beatable, the Chiefs are beatable, the Packers are beatable, the Bills...

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1331 on: December 09, 2020, 09:51:56 AM »
HAHAHA!

Hey, I found this.  I mentioned Wentz as a Pat earlier, and on it's face it doesn't make sense, but this - where a trade before March of 2021 breaks the Eagles even on the cap - is intriguing.    In fact, they are number two on the list of potential landing spots for Carson.  But honestly, 3, 4, and 5 (especially five) make even LESS sense.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/forecasting-carson-wentzs-future-what-are-eagles-options-2021-landing-spots-contract-scenarios/
Nobody's going to trade for the guy. He makes 34.5 next year, and the only way around it would be to restructure his deal over a longer term. He's worth neither the 34.5 nor the multi-year commitment. Phili is stuck with him on their bench next year.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1332 on: December 09, 2020, 10:56:38 AM »
You're probably right; I just have dreams of glory.  :)

Anyone watch the game last night?  Funny exchange between Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, where they were both gushing over Tucker, who had - to that point - made something like 76 straight field goals under 40 yards.  Buck even made the joke about who would be to blame if he tanked it because of all their praise.  He made the field goal attempt, but it was wiped out by a penalty then he hooked the retry. It was funny, and I think Buck was truly a little embarrassed by it. :)

Troy was REALLY harsh to the Cowboys.  On more than one occasion he flat out said they were tanking it, not putting in the effort.   

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1333 on: December 10, 2020, 10:43:57 AM »
Pats whip Chargers 45-0 and are within Cam being stopped at the 1-yd line against Seattle and fumbling down there against Buffalo of being 8-4 with 8 opt-outs on D. Belichick continues to answer the question, emphatically. This roster being 6-6 while Tampa's loaded roster is 1 game better is pretty funny.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1334 on: December 10, 2020, 11:02:14 AM »
Pats whip Chargers 45-0 and are within Cam being stopped at the 1-yd line against Seattle and fumbling down there against Buffalo of being 8-4 with 8 opt-outs on D. Belichick continues to answer the question, emphatically. This roster being 6-6 while Tampa's loaded roster is 1 game better is pretty funny.

It's not a bad way of looking at it. 

Watch the games too; once you get past the "names", the Pats are playing disciplined, smart football, and the Bucs are... well, not.   

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1335 on: December 10, 2020, 11:03:33 AM »

Anyone watch the game last night?  Funny exchange between Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, where they were both gushing over Tucker, who had - to that point - made something like 76 straight field goals under 40 yards.  Buck even made the joke about who would be to blame if he tanked it because of all their praise.  He made the field goal attempt, but it was wiped out by a penalty then he hooked the retry. It was funny, and I think Buck was truly a little embarrassed by it. :)

Troy was REALLY harsh to the Cowboys.  On more than one occasion he flat out said they were tanking it, not putting in the effort.

Troy is on every week on a sports radio station in Dallas. Tuesdays at 7:50am. He doesn't mince words and he's definitely not a homer. He's also hilarious!

Now it's hard for me to believe that the players just suck when the change is at defensive scheme and coordinator. Their "D" looks like they are playing to contain rather than attack. I think I'm going to refer to them as the Covid Cowboys..... :tdwn

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1336 on: December 10, 2020, 11:04:21 AM »
That's why to win 6 SB's you need both.  Something I will never see again in my lifetime. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: December 10, 2020, 11:30:50 AM »

Troy is on every week on a sports radio station in Dallas. Tuesdays at 7:50am. He doesn't mince words and he's definitely not a homer. He's also hilarious!

Now it's hard for me to believe that the players just suck when the change is at defensive scheme and coordinator. Their "D" looks like they are playing to contain rather than attack. I think I'm going to refer to them as the Covid Cowboys..... :tdwn

There are some that don't like him, but I'm a fan.

And as I think about it, it seems like being a Cowboys QB is a precursor to being a good broadcaster (Dandy Don, Troy, Tony Romo, of whom I'm also a fan).

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1338 on: December 10, 2020, 11:47:09 AM »

And as I think about it, it seems like being a Cowboys QB is a precursor to being a good broadcaster (Dandy Don, Troy, Tony Romo, of whom I'm also a fan).

Dandy Don  :biggrin: - that Monday night crew was one for the ages. Between the three of them they would down a gallon of vodka every Monday night until management told them to stop.  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1339 on: December 10, 2020, 12:22:04 PM »

Don't forget Jason Witten.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1340 on: December 10, 2020, 12:42:18 PM »

Don't forget Jason Witten.

Or Daryl Johnston, though I don't like him as much as Aikman and Romo.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1341 on: December 10, 2020, 03:21:13 PM »

Watch the games too; once you get past the "names", the Pats are playing disciplined, smart football, and the Bucs are... well, not.

Right.  Brady is seeing now how the other half lives. For as great as he has been, he had the luxury of playing on a team for 20 years that was very disciplined, not going to beat itself, and almost always did the little things right. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1342 on: December 10, 2020, 03:46:35 PM »

Right.  Brady is seeing now how the other half lives. For as great as he has been, he had the luxury of playing on a team for 20 years that was very disciplined, not going to beat itself, and almost always did the little things right.
Yep. I posted about this week one, when his receivers were quitting routes early (one resulted in a pick) and his D was committing stupid penalties. He might not have liked all the discipline in NE, but I bet he sure appreciates it now. This is the cost of going to play someplace more relaxed.

As for Bill, I'd say that NE is actually over-achieving this year, given the circumstances. Tonight is the big test of how well it's coming together, but to be honest, my money is on LAR's D over NE's QB. That money wouldn't be more than a buck or so, though.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1343 on: December 10, 2020, 03:50:41 PM »

As for Bill, I'd say that NE is actually over-achieving this year, given the circumstances. Tonight is the big test of how well it's coming together, but to be honest, my money is on LAR's D over NE's QB. That money wouldn't be more than a buck or so, though.  :lol

Overachieving??

No way. 6-6 is in no way an overacheivement to this point. If they win out and end up at 10-6, then I'll concur. But to me, 9-7 was the MINIMUM expectation this year.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1344 on: December 10, 2020, 03:53:18 PM »
Patriots/Rams under 45 tonight was my lock of the year.  I can't see either team scoring more than 20, which means it'll end up 34-30.

Full disclosure: I am 30-35 in my Blazing 5 picks this year (a buddy and I pick 5 games either against the spread or on the over/under), so my lock of the year is like a fading stock.  :lol :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1345 on: December 10, 2020, 04:23:57 PM »

Overachieving??

No way. 6-6 is in no way an overacheivement to this point. If they win out and end up at 10-6, then I'll concur. But to me, 9-7 was the MINIMUM expectation this year.
Was that before or after the opt-outs? Or the covid inactives? Or the injuries to the O-line? I said 10-6 before the season got underway, but that quickly turned into a 6-10 when the shit really started to hit the fan.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1346 on: December 10, 2020, 05:13:37 PM »
Was that before or after the opt-outs? Or the covid inactives? Or the injuries to the O-line? I said 10-6 before the season got underway, but that quickly turned into a 6-10 when the shit really started to hit the fan.

After the opt-outs. I know Hightower was a tough loss.

Covid inactives? The only game Cam I think missed was KC, which they were going to lose anyway even with him. Did Gilmour miss a game or two because of Covid? I don't remember.

O-Line injuries? I mean there's injuries every year, but they've had Andrews back this year and that's huge.

None of these should've prevented them from going anything less than 9-7.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1347 on: December 10, 2020, 05:21:36 PM »

Covid inactives? The only game Cam I think missed was KC, which they were going to lose anyway even with him. Did Gilmour miss a game or two because of Covid? I don't remember.

O-Line injuries? I mean there's injuries every year, but they've had Andrews back this year and that's huge.

I'd say that was optimistic. The Patriots had four meaningful opt-outs (I know Vitale hadn't even played yet, but we've seen the importance of a skilled FB for the type of game NE plays). Moreover, there were two games with O-linemen playing out of position alongside 3rd stringers. Also, I said over-achieving this year, under the circumstances. I'm not basing this on my pre-season projection, but rather some of the things they've had to contend with since this abortion of an NFL season began.

But, hey, maybe I'll back off of over-achievng and just say they're doing every bit as well as could be reasonable expected.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: December 10, 2020, 05:21:54 PM »
Disagree Tim. El Barto is correct.   The one thing I like is the youth getting playing time. It may be a benefit moving forward.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1349 on: December 10, 2020, 05:40:00 PM »
I think COVID wrecked the Patriots games against the Broncos and 49ers as well.  They barely got to practice, and that is a death knell for a Belichick team, which always relies on precision, repetition and details.  How this team is 6-6 is unreal.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1350 on: December 10, 2020, 06:24:28 PM »
I think COVID wrecked the Patriots games against the Broncos and 49ers as well.  They barely got to practice, and that is a death knell for a Belichick team, which always relies on precision, repetition and details.  How this team is 6-6 is unreal.

Yup, and he was the first person to whine about that.

They still should've beaten the Broncos. I expected them to lose against San Fran, so that was already a loss for me. I'm not buying it. Covid maybe made the game go from a loss to an embarrassment.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: December 10, 2020, 06:25:20 PM »
2 plays.  Oof.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1352 on: December 10, 2020, 06:29:55 PM »

I'd say that was optimistic. The Patriots had four meaningful opt-outs (I know Vitale hadn't even played yet, but we've seen the importance of a skilled FB for the type of game NE plays). Moreover, there were two games with O-linemen playing out of position alongside 3rd stringers. Also, I said over-achieving this year, under the circumstances. I'm not basing this on my pre-season projection, but rather some of the things they've had to contend with since this abortion of an NFL season began.

But, hey, maybe I'll back off of over-achievng and just say they're doing every bit as well as could be reasonable expected.

I think a Belichick team, for as good as he is, should've overcome some of these things. If you're saying that 9-7 was a glass half full season, that's fine. Every team has circumstances every year. Belichick is paid to overcome these things. A 9-7 record simply doesn't do it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1353 on: December 10, 2020, 06:32:40 PM »
With a buy one get one free sale, I cam take care of both Kingshmegland and El Barto this Christmas.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: December 10, 2020, 06:42:44 PM »
So I can look like Danny Devito's Penguin as a Pats fan?  No thank you.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: December 10, 2020, 07:01:40 PM »
To me, that was not down by contact.  Until he has control the receiver whiffed trying to touch him.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1356 on: December 10, 2020, 07:06:09 PM »
To me, that was not down by contact.  Until he has control the receiver whiffed trying to touch him.

I agree.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1357 on: December 10, 2020, 07:06:28 PM »
And after a missed call like that Cam throws a pick 6.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: December 10, 2020, 07:20:05 PM »

I think I've heard every announcing team say stuff like that after he'd hit thirty straight.  And, yeah, after finally seeing the second half earlier this evening, I wonder if Jerry Jones will ever talk to Aikman.  ;) The truth hurts.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1359 on: December 10, 2020, 07:24:35 PM »

Yup, and he was the first person to whine about that.

They still should've beaten the Broncos. I expected them to lose against San Fran, so that was already a loss for me. I'm not buying it. Covid maybe made the game go from a loss to an embarrassment.

I think you are being a bit harsh.  Opt-outs and losing weeks due to COVID are not little things that are easily overcome.  If you want to bag on Belichick for not getting more talent at the skill positions, I can get on board with that, but all things considered, he has done a terrific job this season. I can't think of another coach in the NFL who would have this team at .500 this deep into the season given all they have dealt with.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1360 on: December 10, 2020, 07:33:04 PM »
He's a great coach. I get it.

I don't know. I'm not impressed, what can I say. 6-6 is weak.

It's a me problem I guess.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1361 on: December 10, 2020, 07:36:03 PM »

Yeah, you're spoiled.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1362 on: December 10, 2020, 07:39:43 PM »
We are.  Can't disagree. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1363 on: December 10, 2020, 07:49:09 PM »

Yeah, you're spoiled.

Hah!

That's the second time I've been called spoiled on DTF in the last week. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1364 on: December 10, 2020, 07:54:23 PM »
It's a state of mind. I was talking to a co-worker about this a few weeks ago.  As a Broncos fan, it sucks to see them going through this down period, especially since I am used to them always contending at a high level (7 Super Bowl appearances since I became a fan 35 years ago, with 3 wins), but it's the nature of sports.  Down periods or down seasons are going to happen in pro sports for every franchise.  Hell, even the Yankees went through a down period, by their standards, for most of the 80's and the early 90's.

Maybe we should all just get together and have a good laugh at the Dallas Cowboys who are living off the glory days of 25+ years ago in order to stay relevant.