Author Topic: The "What Are You Currently Reading?" Thread  (Read 266210 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: The "What Are You Currently Reading?" Thread
« Reply #2030 on: July 23, 2012, 04:04:21 AM »
So, Proust was a bust, really couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll try again in a few years. Anyway, now reading Killing Lincoln by Bill O' Reilly and starting to read Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #2031 on: July 23, 2012, 04:10:15 AM »
I need to find something to start tonight. I recently finished Snuff and the Bitches Brew sessions liner notes.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2032 on: July 24, 2012, 04:20:12 AM »
Currently reading The Pillars of the Earth and I'm enjoying it so far.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #2033 on: July 24, 2012, 07:03:40 AM »
Last night I started a book I've had for ages but not got round to reading yet: Red Dust by Ma Jian. It's pretty dark, but I'm enjoying it.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #2034 on: July 24, 2012, 10:11:21 AM »
Just starting In Cold Blood - Truman Capote

Also, just finished War of the Worlds, and I don't get what all the hype is about. It was pretty average.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2035 on: July 24, 2012, 02:59:15 PM »
Finished 'Invitation to a Beheading' (Nabokov) today and also read 'Fight Club' (Palahniuk). Both good reads.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #2036 on: July 25, 2012, 07:24:02 PM »
Finished The Lord Of The Flies a couple of nights ago and started reading Lifting Shadows: The Authorized Biography Of Dream Theater the very same night. I have had the book there ever since it first came out and tried to read it twice, but never got through it, for some unknown reason. But this time I am determined, dammit.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2037 on: July 26, 2012, 02:31:12 PM »
Keeping with the Civil War motif: North and South by John Jakes

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2038 on: July 31, 2012, 12:54:37 PM »
Bout halfway through The Stars My Destinationion. It's... very odd. But it has a really refreshing setting and main character.

Haven't read much the last couple weeks, finally got around to finishing this. It was really good.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2039 on: July 31, 2012, 09:43:02 PM »
Just finished Kingdom Come by J.G. Ballard. Starting to read Burning City by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ehra

« Reply #2040 on: August 01, 2012, 08:32:42 AM »
I figured this would be the best place to put this, I don't think it warrants its own thread. R.A. Salvatore is doing a AMA that's been a pretty fun read, for anyone interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/xi3zr/i_am_ra_salvatore_fantasy_writer_geek_gamer/

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2041 on: August 01, 2012, 08:52:24 AM »
John Steinbeck- East of Eden.

I'm not sure it really counts though, because I'm listening to an audio recording.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2042 on: August 01, 2012, 11:34:14 PM »
How do you guys determine what you want to read? There's so many books out there and getting through a book is a huge time and money investment. And obviously you won't know if you like it until you read it, so it's kind of a catch 22.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2043 on: August 01, 2012, 11:46:57 PM »
How do you guys determine what you want to read? There's so many books out there and getting through a book is a huge time and money investment. And obviously you won't know if you like it until you read it, so it's kind of a catch 22.

Review websites help to make sure that what you're getting isn't utter crap, but I agree that you won't know if you like it until you read it.  My usually choice is to try and acquire a pdf of whatever I'm looking at strictly for previewing purposes.  Friend recommendations also help immensely, if you know people that you trust enough, but even then I probably wouldn't go without a preview.   

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2044 on: August 01, 2012, 11:51:37 PM »
I use goodreads and the books subreddit mainly, they have all sorts of lists of recommended books (just avoid the ones infested by Twilight moms), and just save books that sound interesting to my todo list. When I need a new book, I just go through it and pick out whatever sounds interesting.

On that note, I finished 50 Shades of Grey and got about 1/4 of the way through American Gods today. 50 Shades would have been hilariously bad if it was half the length, but it really dragged at the end. Still, it was definitely in the spectrum of 'so bad it's good', and it actually ended really unexpectedly.

American Gods is the first Gaiman book I've read, and so far it's pretty much exactly what I expected - awesome. Still not sure where it's going, and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Shadow as a main character, but it's still excellent.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2045 on: August 01, 2012, 11:54:54 PM »

On that note, I finished 50 Shades of Grey and got about 1/4 of the way through American Gods today. 50 Shades would have been hilariously bad if it was half the length, but it really dragged at the end. Still, it was definitely in the spectrum of 'so bad it's good', and it actually ended really unexpectedly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K1RcKJVbHA

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2046 on: August 02, 2012, 12:00:28 AM »

Well, if you're poor like me, my suggestion is to read old books.  Seriously.  Pore over best-book-ever lists online, and then page through the ones that look interesting to you.  If you find the right edition, books that are very old or that have fallen out of copyright can run you 5-7 bucks (or less).  Books that have fallen out of copyright are also free on e-readers.

Don't forget that you probably also have free access to a library.  No-risk reading!

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2047 on: August 02, 2012, 12:08:28 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K1RcKJVbHA

I knew exactly what this was before I clicked it, and it is my favorite thing ever.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2048 on: August 02, 2012, 12:24:39 AM »
Read during my holidays:

Lee Child - latest, forgot the title.
Jens Lapidus - Easy money and All f... up (I don't know the american titles, just guessing here) really refreshing fastpaced insight in Swedish criminal circles.
Lars Kepler - Paganini Contract.

I'm slacking off, didn't read half the amount of books I wanted to.

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2049 on: August 02, 2012, 03:15:02 PM »
I use goodreads and the books subreddit mainly, they have all sorts of lists of recommended books (just avoid the ones infested by Twilight moms), and just save books that sound interesting to my todo list. When I need a new book, I just go through it and pick out whatever sounds interesting.

American Gods is the first Gaiman book I've read, and so far it's pretty much exactly what I expected - awesome. Still not sure where it's going, and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Shadow as a main character, but it's still excellent.

American God's is amazing.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2050 on: August 04, 2012, 07:28:53 AM »
Love and War by John Jakes

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2051 on: August 08, 2012, 04:34:23 AM »
The past two weeks I read:

Fight Club (Palahniuk)
Different Seasons (King)
The Picture of Dorian Gray (Wilde)
The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Chbosky)  (Thank you sigz!)
American Psycho (Easton Ellis)

and also re-read The Running Man (King) and bits of Full Dark, No Stars (King)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2052 on: August 08, 2012, 09:23:49 AM »

I go by how good the cover looks.

No, seriously, when I was younger I just read a whole lot of books, either from the library, or used book stores, or joining book clubs (like The Science Fiction Book Club).  Most of my books were bought used in college.  When you're paying like $1 for a book, you can try stuff out just based on the back cover text.  If I found a book I really liked out, I'd seek out other works by that author.  Today, I stick mostly to stuff by authors I trust, but occasionally browse at a book store to find new things to try.  That keeps the "trusted author" list refreshed with new material.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #2053 on: August 08, 2012, 10:00:22 AM »
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

I've read it before in high school, but I never really enjoyed any of the books I read in school just because of the demanding assignments that followed.
I'm re-reading to actually enjoy!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2054 on: August 08, 2012, 10:07:27 AM »
I loved Brave New World in high school.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2055 on: August 08, 2012, 12:30:51 PM »
To lower the tone a bit,

As it will likely be another 5 years until the next installment of A Song Of Ice & Fire, I've started The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. A couple of hundred pages in and it's very good.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #2056 on: August 08, 2012, 12:42:32 PM »
Currently: my bed time reading is Japan Through The Looking Glass by Alan MacFarlaine.

'tis very interesting read about Japanese culture, but there are a few bits which totally lose me.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2057 on: August 17, 2012, 04:15:33 AM »
Just finished The Burning City by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Currently reading the sequel, Burning Tower.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2058 on: August 19, 2012, 09:56:08 AM »
Odd Interlude by Dean Koontz

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #2059 on: August 19, 2012, 10:15:44 AM »

If you're concerned about cost, start going to the free public library.  As much as I love having shelves full of books, it definitely saves money (and helps cut down on the amount of shit you wind up accumulating).

For a long time I have had a sort of 'list' compiled of the books I would like to read.  When I finish a book and am not sure what to read next, I just kind of look at my list and pick one.  And sometimes I encounter one randomly that gets bumped to the top of the list.

Last night I finally finished 'Great Expectations' and tonight I will start on 'The Hunger Games.'  Everyone has been talking about how great it is so my interest in it has been piqued.  And I understand that this is a series of 3, and I'll have to read all 3 out of principle, but after that I intend on reading some other Dickens novel...probably 'Oliver Twist.'
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2060 on: August 19, 2012, 01:48:31 PM »
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #2061 on: August 19, 2012, 01:55:31 PM »
Making Money (discworld)

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2062 on: August 19, 2012, 04:24:15 PM »
Maphead - Ken Jennings
Rainbow Six - Tom Clancy

For the most part I just randomly browse the book store until I come across something that looks interesting. Once you sort of pinpoint an author or genre you like, that gradually makes the selection process easier.

And yeah, it costs money, but it depends. There are countless novels you can get used on Amazon for less than a dollar, plus shipping. Even new books at a bookstore...a small-print, compact paperback novel usually doesn't exceed nine or ten bucks.

It would make sense to use the library, but I like having a collection.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #2063 on: August 19, 2012, 11:28:20 PM »
Maphead - Ken Jennings
Rainbow Six - Tom Clancy

For the most part I just randomly browse the book store until I come across something that looks interesting. Once you sort of pinpoint an author or genre you like, that gradually makes the selection process easier.

And yeah, it costs money, but it depends. There are countless novels you can get used on Amazon for less than a dollar, plus shipping. Even new books at a bookstore...a small-print, compact paperback novel usually doesn't exceed nine or ten bucks.

It would make sense to use the library, but I like having a collection.

I really like having a collection as well. 

But unemployment meant I had a lot of free time in which to read, but not a lot of extra cash to spend (even $10 for a book was stretching it for awhile there). 

And then when I moved I found myself confronted with the true scope of the amount of crap that I owned (not just books).  But I held onto the books that I love (which are still numerous), and got rid of the rest.  Now I won't buy books unless they are really special. 

I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #2064 on: August 19, 2012, 11:55:52 PM »
Since I've been working a lt lately, I haven't had much chance to read a lot. I just finished Lifting Shadows: The Authorized Biography Of Dream Theater about an hour ago. Either tonight or tomorrow, I will finally be able to start reading the uncut and complete version of Stephen King's The Stand.
Brave
Murder
Day