Author Topic: What if MP wants to come back now?  (Read 69304 times)

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What if MP wants to come back now?
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2010, 02:00:33 AM »
Speaking of MP's control issues... I've been thinking about this a lot recently.  Remember in the making-of DVD where MP and JP both signed a light-hearted contract about a certain musical choice (I can't remember what song they were discussing and can't find anything on Youtube to show you a clip of)?

That seems...odd. I don't know that you'd be allowed to post a clip, but I hope someone can clarify this. Not that I think it's significant, just curious.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2010, 02:44:37 AM »
I wouldn't mind him coming back in a few years, but not now. After all we've been through, we deserve to hear a Dream Theater album with a different drummer.  :biggrin:

Offline Compadre

• Progressive Zydeco Enthusiast
  • "Dance with the one who brung ya"
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2010, 02:57:34 AM »
Does anyone believe the guys who are still in DT would let MP back without any question/terms?
Learning Lessons & Living Blessings

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2010, 03:20:48 AM »
Speaking of MP's control issues... I've been thinking about this a lot recently.  Remember in the making-of DVD where MP and JP both signed a light-hearted contract about a certain musical choice (I can't remember what song they were discussing and can't find anything on Youtube to show you a clip of)?

That seems...odd. I don't know that you'd be allowed to post a clip, but I hope someone can clarify this. Not that I think it's significant, just curious.
It seems more like a joke. JP explained how they had been going back and forth so many times on a song (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that they had to sign a contract. But JP tore it up in front of the camera. (I think it's from the making of SC-DVD.)

I wouldn't read even one bit into it, they were obviously playing around. You might as well take zombie JP seriously while you're at it. :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2010, 03:34:15 AM »
Everybody takes Zombie JP seriously.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2010, 03:34:27 AM »
Everybody.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2010, 03:39:07 AM »
It's interesting reading stuff over at the A7X fansites. It's like some people there just assumed Mike was a full time member. And, weird as it sounds, the praise Mike gets from the A7X fans is almost unanimous. Must've been nice for him to be treated so well by fans while it lasted.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2010, 08:54:47 AM »
I really hope DT don't take Mike back.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2010, 09:26:10 AM »
Wikileaks should target Dream Theater as their next focus. THE PORTNOY FILES.iso

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2010, 09:26:20 AM »
the praise Mike gets from the A7X fans is almost unanimous.
If Mike had only been a drummer for DT, I'm guessing his praise would have been near unanimous as well. I think it was Mike's duties as producer and general overlord of the band that people criticized him the most about.

I can totally see Mike questioning himself now. That's what people do when they break up with someone. They're confident in their decision for a while, then start to think about old times and wonder if it was the right choice, then usually eventual realize it was and truely start to move on. I doubt he would go crawling back to the other guys at this point. The reasons he wanted to leave are still valid.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2010, 09:35:34 AM »
Wikileaks should target Dream Theater as their next focus. THE PORTNOY FILES.iso

This just in: According to a young Jewish boy who plays the drums and claims to be "close" to Mike Portnoy, Mike has been known to say degrading and often downright disrespectful things about the guys in Dream Theater around the table. Also just in: In an instant message exchange discovered on an iPhone left unattended in a club near the site of the recent 'Explorations' gig, someone believed to be James Labrie has said: "You win JR. Looks like he called us on the bluff and I lost the bet. Do I really have to shave my head, or can I just cut my hair really, really short?"

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2010, 09:39:10 AM »
 :lol
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2010, 09:41:45 AM »

This just in: According to a young Jewish boy who plays the drums and claims to be "close" to Mike Portnoy, Mike has been known to say degrading and often downright disrespectful things about the guys in Dream Theater around the table. Also just in: In an instant message exchange discovered on an iPhone left unattended in a club near the site of the recent 'Explorations' gig, someone believed to be James Labrie has said: "You win JR. Looks like he called us on the bluff and I lost the bet. Do I really have to shave my head, or can I just cut my hair really, really short?"

the second part is genius   :lol

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2010, 09:51:36 AM »

the second part is genius   :lol

Indeed! :rollin
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline TL

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2010, 10:57:58 AM »
It's interesting reading stuff over at the A7X fansites. It's like some people there just assumed Mike was a full time member. And, weird as it sounds, the praise Mike gets from the A7X fans is almost unanimous. Must've been nice for him to be treated so well by fans while it lasted.
It definitely would have been interesting to see how many A7X fans would have checked out DT11 if Mike hadn't left.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2010, 11:21:13 AM »
It's a control issue.  He simply seems to get extremely frustrated when he cannot control something or dictate exactly how he thinks something should go down. 

That's what always boggled my mind, seriously, and at times it was hilarious to watch. With KM, he could never let the matter settle, but instead would bring it up over time. And what must have been incredibly frustrating to him was that with every single jab of his towards KM, KM was even more venerated by the fans. The only solution was to walk away from it, but he couldn't.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2010, 12:23:53 PM »
The real heartache for MP will come when the next album becomes an unprecedented commercial and critical success. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2010, 01:14:49 PM »
The real heartache for MP will come when the next album becomes an unprecedented commercial and critical success. 

That would make my life.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2010, 01:18:39 PM »

That would make my life.

Why would you post this?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2010, 01:21:15 PM »

That would make my life.

Why would you post this?

Sorry, I was referring more to the latter half of his statement, my bad. :facepalm:

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2010, 01:29:21 PM »
They did say that the door is always open for him to come back. However, having just hired the new guy, they would probably be fair to him and do the new album/tour with him before MP came back.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2010, 01:31:18 PM »

Which actually, might very well happen, because DT now has a point to prove. And their best albums have always been when they had something to prove. When they double-scrutinized their music in order to give the absolute best.

rumborak

Offline PetFish

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2010, 04:05:56 PM »
It seems more like a joke. JP explained how they had been going back and forth so many times on a song (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that they had to sign a contract. But JP tore it up in front of the camera.

Yes, he tore it up in front of the camera, but it's because MP "just couldn't live with it" and he says so in the same clip.  So, even if it was a joke, it has significance.  Signing a contract, even a symbolic "fun" one, still has meaning and the act of reneging on it says a lot about the person who did the reneging.  I'll stop saying "reneging" now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2010, 04:11:25 PM »
They did say that the door is always open for him to come back.

Did they say that?  Or did Portnoy say that they said that?  I thought it was the latter.  And if so, I would take that with a grain of salt, as Portnoy has probably convinced himself that he can go back at any time, because in his mind, why wouldn't they take him back just like that?  However, I doubt the band would put themselves in a position where Portnoy could just waltz back in at any time and make them just throw aside the new drummer and any other progress or changes they have made since.

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2010, 04:48:40 PM »
Yeah I only remember Portnoy saying the door is always open.  Then JP says "permanent replacement"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2010, 04:52:13 PM »
Yeah I only remember Portnoy saying the door is always open.  Then JP says "permanent replacement"
:biggrin: :lol :rollin

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2010, 04:53:31 PM »
And the "it would stupid to think that we wouldn't be playing together at some point". Which is pretty definite zoning IMHO.

rumborak

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2010, 04:55:46 PM »
One thing that people tend to forget is the week that went by. This walk-out wasn't just at the spur of the moment; MP offered the hiatus, DT declined, MP said he'd quit, and then they gave each other a full week to think about it. After which both stood their ground. So, based on that I think there was quite a bit going on that would make both parties stand their ground.

rumborak
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 05:02:30 PM by rumborak »

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2010, 05:16:32 PM »
They did say that the door is always open for him to come back. However, having just hired the new guy, they would probably be fair to him and do the new album/tour with him before MP came back.

yep.

edit: Not saying he is welcome back, but the thought may be at the back of their heads. If you've been in a band for any extended period of time, you know what I mean when I say you establish a sort of chemistry with the other members. He was after all, not just their drummer, but friend (as far as I know). It can't be easy to move on without him, and it's just normal to think about letting him back. As it has been said though, he f*cked up big time, so my guess is as good as anyone. I guess what I mean to say is that I'm split between both sides. I kinda want him back, but kinda don't.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 05:24:53 PM by ricky »
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2010, 07:52:53 PM »
Personally, I at least want to hear one DT album without Portnoy before I decide weather or not I want him back in the band.  While I obviously cannot know for certain, I strongly suspect that his tight control over the band is what led to the musical stagnation on the last 2 albums.  His inability to let them just jam-out tunes like they did back in the 80's and 90's, and his insistence on creating a framework for each album, and to a lesser extent, for their entire career since SFAM, has no doubt sucked out a lot of the spontaneity in their songwriting.  If you've seen the Making Of... DVD with Systematic Chaos, then you know that they tried to do an old school record with that album, but despite allowing some degree of free form composition, Mike still insisted on a theme for the album:  it had to be "cutting" and "modern" and it had to have "balls", whatever the hell that means.  Frankly, I didn't get the point of them doing another "metal" album when they had already done that with Train of Thought.  Likewise, I didn't feel the need for another album of epics (a la Yes' Tales from Topographic Oceans) with Black Clouds when they had already done that with Six Degrees.  The only real difference between those two new albums and the two older records was the self-imposed "need" to be modern with out of place hard core vox and metalish lyrics.  Don't get me wrong, I love my shares of Painkillers and Holy Divers, but to hear the band that wrote songs like Learning To Live, A Change of Seasons, Lifting Shadows and Trial of Tears writing about Dark Masters and Counts of Tuscany just seems like a waste of talent (Speaking of which, I could go on about the under-utilized Myung, but it's already been brought up by others multiple times.)

On the other hand, though, it cannot be rationally denied that Mike did do the band A LOT of good in his day.  A Change of Seasons aside, he really did step up to fill in the creative void after Kevin Moore left, which given the sentimental feelings most fans have for KM's compositions was a very gutsy move.  He also did an excellent job of turning Dream Theater into one of the premier live acts of the last decade.  I can't think of any other band that changes their setlist every night and makes sure every show has a healthy serving of deep cuts, not just the greatest hits repeated ad nauseum.  And the ytsejam bootlegs are one of the coolest things I have ever seen a band do for their fans.  Most artists just include a few b-sides on remasters and compilations, not many have the balls and honesty to open themselves up creatively and fully expose their artistic selves to their fans like MP did with Ytsejam records.  For all that I have a very deep respect for Mike Portnoy.

I just wish we could have the best of both worlds:  Mike Portnoy leading, not dominating, the band, and still giving the others a lot of freedom in writing music.  I think the only time we had that balance was on SFAM, and the high regard in which most DT fans hold that record should speak volumes about the need for that balance.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 08:06:05 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline Ice9ine

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2010, 07:54:57 PM »
For God's sake. Can we move on from effin Mike Portnoy!!!
I crossed the crooked step.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2010, 08:29:27 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love my shares of Painkillers and Holy Divers, but to hear the band that wrote songs like Learning To Live, A Change of Seasons, Lifting Shadows and Trial of Tears writing about Dark Masters and Counts of Tuscany just seems like a waste of talent (Speaking of which, I could go on about the under-utilized Myung, but it's already been brought up by others multiple times.)

Sorry, this really stood up to me from your post lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2010, 08:34:47 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love my shares of Painkillers and Holy Divers, but to hear the band that wrote songs like Learning To Live, A Change of Seasons, Lifting Shadows and Trial of Tears writing about Dark Masters and Counts of Tuscany just seems like a waste of talent (Speaking of which, I could go on about the under-utilized Myung, but it's already been brought up by others multiple times.)

Sorry, this really stood up to me from your post lol

The irony wasn't lost on me either  :P

It made for a great net handle, but lyrically, I could have lived without it  :laugh:

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2010, 08:40:08 PM »
We have no idea what Mike is going through (DT related or not), BUT, for the sake of this thread, I'll respond. When I think of Dream Theater, I think of 3 things:
1) Musical genius
2) Technical prowess
3) Michael Howard Portnoy

As much as I was so extremely hurt and pissed off at MP for leaving, and while I do feel doing an album NOT under Mike's control will be good for the band, I'd welcome him back RIGHT NOW with arms extended!

No matter who they have chosen to replace him, they are not, nor cannot be MIKE's equal. IMO, he is the greatest drummer I have ever seen and although he's made a few bad "choices" (leaving, dumb tweets and posts), he's still da man in my book!

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2010, 08:43:50 PM »
We have no idea what Mike is going through (DT related or not), BUT, for the sake of this thread, I'll respond. When I think of Dream Theater, I think of 3 things:
1) Musical genius
2) Technical prowess
3) Michael Howard Portnoy

As much as I was so extremely hurt and pissed off at MP for leaving, and while I do feel doing an album NOT under Mike's control will be good for the band, I'd welcome him back RIGHT NOW with arms extended!

No matter who they have chosen to replace him, they are not, nor cannot be MIKE's equal. IMO, he is the greatest drummer I have ever seen and although he's made a few bad "choices" (leaving, dumb tweets and posts), he's still da man in my book!
Mike's middle name is Stephen