Author Topic: The Beer Thread: Mach 2  (Read 99659 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Beer Thread: Mach 2
« Reply #455 on: November 14, 2010, 03:13:40 PM »
Just finnished the leaf blowing/raking anf putting up the gutters.  This called for a Brooklyn #2 and it tastes like victory.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #456 on: November 14, 2010, 11:48:26 PM »
A week from tomorrow then PLM? I'll try and remember to take a peek at the tap list online closer to Saturday and post some thoughts.

sounds great. i've got to start budgeting for beer now lol

:lol yup. I'm lucky in that living at home and not having a car means I have no expenses besides beer :hat

I'm having a Tyskie right now, and realizing that I really need to try more eastern european lagers. I think a trip to Poland or the Czech Republic over spring break is in order.

I haven't really explored the world of lagers a ton. The most prominent kind (pilsner) is probably the only style I've found that I'm really not a fan of, and I'm more fond of the more interesting flavors one can find in an ale.
Just finnished the leaf blowing/raking anf putting up the gutters.  This called for a Brooklyn #2 and it tastes like victory.

I think that's how I'd describe the house taste to Brooklyn's beers, victory :D

and now, the thrilling conclusion of Bill Goes to Belgian Beer Fest...

I was up early Saturday morning to head back to the venue for setup for the Saturday sessions. Spent a while  lugging kegs and cases of beer to various tables. I was on wristbanding duty again for the first session, but as this was my fourth straight session (going back to the last fest in June) wristbanding, my relative seniority started to reap benefits. I was pulled a half hour after the door opened to help get ready and then work pouring for the Saturday afternoon session speaker panel. This one was billed as "An Intimate Afternoon with Allagash" and featured their founder (Rob Todd) and head brewer.We had four beers lined up from the festival: Big Little, Little Big, Lawrence, and Interlude (another wild ale from Allagash). We also had three panel exclusives lined up: Victor Francenstein (a sour version of Allagash's Victor, aged in barrels on grapes), Coolship Cerise (another Coolship beer, this one I believe aged on cherries), and a 6 liter bottle of 2010 Fluxus (a big stout brewed with a ton of cocoa nibs). We poured almost everything, but ran out of time and had to skip the Coolship beer. Myself and the other two volunteers working the panel had to pour for all the guests first, but then had plenty left for ourselves. We were bummed at not getting to try the Cerise, but when Rob Todd came back to collect what was left after the discussion he gave us one bottle to split and try. The coolship beer was good,  but not overwhelming. Victor Francenstein, on the other hand, was absolutely phenomenal and running neck and neck with Frute for my favorite beer of the weekend. It's a shame it was a mini, 500 bottle release at the brewery. The other major standout of the day was Lost Abbey's Framboise de Amorosa, a sour ale aged on raspberries. It was released in bottles, but the tap version brought to the fest was a special "double fruited" version that was fantastic, I must have gone back to the Lost Abbey table 4-5 times that night for more samples. Sam Adams brought a super cool surprise, some of a beer they call their "Old Lambic". It was brewed in 2003 and the unfermented wort was brought up to an apple orchard in New Hampshire and left out to be naturally fermented, and has spent it's time since then sitting in oak barrels. Seven years later it's super tart and super tasty. Only 53 gallons were made, so I may well never seen it again. There was also a collaboration brew from Bell's and the Belgian brewery De Proef. It was a sour dubbel/porter aged on cherries, and just very well executed, all aspects of the beer shone through. The fest closed down at 10 and cleanup was done at 10:30. A few kegs were left out for us to enjoy, and a few rounds of that and a group rendition of the Bed Intruder song later it was time to collect my bottles and head out. I guess there were a lot of half empty cases for them to give out, because I ended up leaving with three 12oz bottles and five(!) 750mL bottles. Sunday morning was the post fest brunch at The Asgard, with $25 of my bill being covered by Beer Advocate as a thank you for volunteering. My buddy and I went and each had a big plate of breakfast as well as three beers. I started with an Allagash White, then an Allagash Curieux (:heart that beer), and then when I realized I had some more time before I had to leave I ordered some Allagash Black. I thought it would be an 8 or 12oz pour, but was served this Belgian stout in a 20oz pint :lol All in all it was an incredible weekend, I can honestly say my only problem the whole time was having to figure out transporting all the beer I had amassed by Sunday morning (half of it is still in MA with family, and I will be reunited with in when said family comes down for Thanksgiving).  I'm very much looking forward to doing it all again for Extreme Beer Fest next year (king, it's March 11th and 12th).

This weekend's featured a couple phenomenal new IPAs I got as extras in a recent trade. Nelson is an IPA from Alpine that uses rye in the malt bill and an unusual new hop from New Zealand. It tasted absolutely phenomenal, but was a bit of a miss in the looks/mouthfeel departments. Kern River's Just Outstanding IPA is good, but straightforward IPA brewed with classic american hops (Simcoe and Amarillo figure prominently), but it was absolutely gorgeous looking and nailed the body/carbonation. If I could somehow fuse the best parts of these two beers I'd have just about the best IPA ever :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #457 on: November 16, 2010, 10:21:41 AM »
OM NOM NOM BEER WHY ARE YOU SO DELICIOUS
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #458 on: November 16, 2010, 10:55:30 AM »
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: November 16, 2010, 11:00:22 AM »
Just finnished

:D

Jackie, I'll foward all my posts first so you can be my editor.  :P
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #460 on: November 16, 2010, 11:07:30 AM »
Oh jesus.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: November 16, 2010, 11:12:10 AM »
Oh jesus.

:lol  I know.  It's a lot of work with my spelling.  I guess I would pay you in beer currency. :lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #462 on: November 16, 2010, 11:16:24 AM »
Deal.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: November 16, 2010, 08:01:22 PM »
Get ready for the bigest beergasm EVER!!!

https://dsc.discovery.com/tv/brew-masters/?#mkcpgn=semdsc6

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: November 16, 2010, 08:34:27 PM »
Axe, My birthday IS ON MARCH 12TH :metal :metal :metal  Who's that for a b-day present!!!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #465 on: November 16, 2010, 09:50:56 PM »
Guys we need to plan a weekend soon, seriously. I need to go get some stuff from a storage place in Boston so it's a perfect excuse.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #466 on: November 16, 2010, 10:25:17 PM »
Tonight's weapon of choice was a bomber of Great Divide's fresh hop pale ale, thanks to Jackie. Pretty tasty brew :tup

Axe, My birthday IS ON MARCH 12TH :metal :metal :metal  Who's that for a b-day present!!!

That. Is. Awesome. Tickets go on sale soon I believe for the fest, so if you want to give yourself an awesome birthday present I would look into it :D I plan on working all three sessions again, so I wouldn't be around much to hang out and drink until after closing on Saturday.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #467 on: November 16, 2010, 10:39:40 PM »
So it traveled okay? I was just reading about fresh hop beers and one thing mentioned was that they don't travel well. ::shrug::
I LOVED that stuff at the CO Fresh Hop Celebration, and it was still good bottled but not the same. I guess my tastes were tainted or something (and maybe the passage of time didn't help either). It seemed like there was this awesome fresh grassiness to it that was kind of lost in the bottled one, though. I still have a Deschutes Hop Trip in my fridge that I need to drink soon.

Anyway, for some reason I still have Magic Hat from September so I just had a Hex :)

So much fucking beer to get through before I leave Denver. MY LIFE IS TERRIBLE.

edit: Now I will have a hipa in the bathtub before sleep :D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:52:17 PM by bout to crash »

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #468 on: November 17, 2010, 12:20:54 AM »
Have two nice beers lined up tonight. Belgium-style wheat-bear and a strong IPA. Both from Australian craft brewers. Hopefully they complement the warm summery weather tonight.  :azn:
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: November 17, 2010, 03:26:45 AM »
Guys we need to plan a weekend soon, seriously. I need to go get some stuff from a storage place in Boston so it's a perfect excuse.

Give us a date orc and we'll make it happen.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #470 on: November 17, 2010, 09:54:40 AM »
God I fucking love HI.P.A. so much. The smell makes me happy.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: November 17, 2010, 10:55:50 AM »
God I fucking love HI.P.A. so much. The smell makes me happy.

You'd love the Harpoon stop in VT.  They have the hopps growning rigth outside.  I need to make a winter trek to there and Longtrail.  It's fun when there is snow up there.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #472 on: November 17, 2010, 04:31:16 PM »
Sweet... I hope I can get to VT in December when I'm back east. I won't have a car so I'll have to convince someone else to drive up there  :(

Right now I am drinking the Terrapin/Left Hand collaboration Pt. III, Oxymoron... first India Pale Lager I've ever had and probably the last. It's nice and hoppy at first which is great, but the lager really comes through at the end and I am not a fan of that. I really can't stand maltiness anymore, it seems.

I am very excited to announce that Left Hand's Fade to Black is back on the shelves, which I LOVED last winter. Just bought a six-pack even though I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more beer til I got low :p

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: November 17, 2010, 04:34:22 PM »
I keep driving by my favorite stop for beer next to work and I'm already thinking of what beers I want to take to the Pats vs. Indy game.  I'm thinking a cigar is in order toosince it's my last game till the playoffs.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #474 on: November 18, 2010, 10:55:09 AM »
I just picked up a six pack of Dogfish Head.

I'll be testing it out later tonight

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #475 on: November 18, 2010, 02:03:58 PM »
which of their beers was it?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: November 18, 2010, 02:05:56 PM »
shelter pale ale

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: November 18, 2010, 02:08:29 PM »
Thank god it wan't 90min IPA  His name would change to Puckerslikerichards.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: November 18, 2010, 02:56:49 PM »
should i avoid that?

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #479 on: November 18, 2010, 03:00:25 PM »
Just stopping in to say Rickard's white with a slice of lemon is pretty damn good.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #480 on: November 18, 2010, 03:02:30 PM »
This bottle of Leffe is probably the best beer I have ever had.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: November 18, 2010, 05:34:02 PM »
should i avoid that?

It is the hoppiest beer I have ever tasted.  It's not for your average beer drinker.

This bottle of Leffe is probably the best beer I have ever had.

It is a slice of heaven.

Offline veronica

• Bosk-approved weird aunt
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Something must be done about this girl at once!
« Reply #482 on: November 18, 2010, 05:35:59 PM »
should i avoid that?

It is the hoppiest beer I have ever tasted.  It's not for your average beer drinker.

I NEED this. My head would completely hate me (I get hop-induced headaches :P ) but oooooh. Do you know what kind of hops they used?

Honorary Junior Old Fogey
I have a dual-citizenageinternetgroupship.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: November 18, 2010, 05:40:17 PM »
should i avoid that?

I NEED this. My head would completely hate me (I get hop-induced headaches :P ) but oooooh. Do you know what kind of hops they used?

Here is your answer!

https://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occassional-rarities/120-minute-ipa.htm

Offline veronica

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: November 18, 2010, 05:47:43 PM »
Huh, so "American Hops" is a definite hop type...did not know that, thought they were just being patriotic and vague :D

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #485 on: November 18, 2010, 06:05:24 PM »
American hops isn't a hop type, some brewers don't like divulging all the particulars. Simcoe, Amarillo, Columbus, and Centennial are some of the more common american varietals, they usually have an intensely citrusy flavor. 90 Minute IPA is pretty hoppy, and I definitely wouldn't recommend it to someone just starting out into beer like PLM. The bitterness can be a bit to get used to. 90 Minute, while hoppy though, has a fairly large dose of malt to balance out the hops (as is common in east coast style IPA/DIPAs). There are some west coast brews that are just as hoppy without the malty sweetness to counteract them and they get pretty intensely bitter (but it helps the hop flavors come through even more).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline veronica

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: November 18, 2010, 06:12:45 PM »
American hops isn't a hop type, some brewers don't like divulging all the particulars.
That's what I originally thought, but then King came and made me think it was a hop type named "American". hmf.
I've made good friends with Centennial, Simcoe and Amarillo. We used Amarillo in our award winning( :lol ) christmas beer both as bitter and flavour hops. Yes, we had a lot of malty goodness to outweigh the bitterness!
Cascade is also a favorite, that's American, right?

(sorry if I use the wrong words, I'm used to talking and reading about beer and especially brewing in Norwegian)

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #487 on: November 18, 2010, 06:51:11 PM »
yes, there are basically 3 Cs of american hops, and I couldn't remember that cascade is the third one. My next beer is going to be a big, dry, double IPA. It's going to use all Simcoe and Amarillo, and most of the hops will be added late in the boil. There are a few breweries that have experimented, and believe that getting your bitterness from late addition hops rather than traditional, beginning of the boil additions, yields a smoother bitterness.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: November 18, 2010, 08:16:10 PM »
Sorry V.  I didn't mean to lean to to think it was american hops.  Like axe said, some brewers travel the world for the right hops. Most companies, like axe said, keep their secrets and don't divulge what the ingredients are.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #489 on: November 18, 2010, 11:25:20 PM »
Drinking Blue Moon out of a can.  NOt a huge fan, but it's not terrible either.

The Brooklyn BCS was very good.  I was pleasantly surprised that it was more of a mellow flavor than I expected.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.