Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 51842 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #945 on: February 05, 2024, 09:16:44 AM »
Funny, I'm not a fanboy of the Kingsman movies, though I've enjoyed them to varying degrees (I don't really like Taron Egerton, and the whole Elton John thing wasn't as fun for me as they intended it to be), and I saw the Argylle trailer and thought "wow, really going for a Kingsman vibe here!". Haha.

It looked like a movie I would watch*, but I've heard it's getting shit reviews.

* The character is "Elly, an introverted spy novelist", and my daughter, Ellie, is sort of an introvert and is in grad school pursuing her MFA in creative writing.  Bryce Dallas Howard...  I have pictures of my wife and pictures of BDH and you can't tell the difference (though there are PLENTY where they look nothing alike, don't get me wrong; I think my wife is way prettier than BDH.). 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #946 on: February 05, 2024, 11:40:33 AM »
It's director is the one that did The Kingsman movies as well so that's why it has the same vibe.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #947 on: February 05, 2024, 12:49:27 PM »
Oh, it's all good for me. I wasn't planning on seeing it till it hit streaming anyway and while I enjoyed the two Kingsmen movies (didn't see the prequel), it being connected doesn't change much for me.

I just thought you pulled a DTF, moreso than a Tim, in jumping to conclusions since it has the same director of Kingsmen and looks super similar in style.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #948 on: February 05, 2024, 01:08:52 PM »
I have no knowledge, but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't originally part of that same universe, but was made to fit into it sometime during production.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #949 on: February 05, 2024, 01:25:33 PM »
Without giving any plot spoilers, I will say that it was visually very stunning. It was just a big juxtaposition with most of the main part of the plot line of the movie framed very much like a cross between Mission impossible and a buddy comedy. And then the action scenes were more like a cross between Moulin Rouge and Sweeney Todd.

I think that anyone who was unprepared for the silliness of the action scenes would have hated it. But as I said before, if you go in understanding that it is intended “camp”, it plays a lot better.  YMMV.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #950 on: February 06, 2024, 06:33:48 AM »
Sounds like the rest of the Kingsman movies.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #951 on: February 06, 2024, 09:56:51 AM »
When Evil Lurks
My bar for horror films is pretty low, so this one was quite a pleasing surprise - it's basically about a demon slowly haunting a rural town and two brothers trying to prevent it. Gets pretty intense, and it's well directed. It's also made in and by my country so that makes it better ;D

Offline Glasser

« Reply #952 on: February 06, 2024, 10:01:07 AM »
When Evil Lurks
My bar for horror films is pretty low, so this one was quite a pleasing surprise - it's basically about a demon slowly haunting a rural town and two brothers trying to prevent it. Gets pretty intense, and it's well directed. It's also made in and by my country so that makes it better ;D

I thought this was Rich's avatar. Ok, I missed a few things in my recent absence. I'll have to check this movie out.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #953 on: February 09, 2024, 05:41:40 PM »
Leave the World Behind.

I'll forever be grateful to Sam Esmail for Mr. Robot but what the hell was he thinking? a premise quite intriguing ruined by lots of setups that never get a payoff. A movie that lasts 2 and half hours and doesn't have a proper ending. A wasted opportunity.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #954 on: February 10, 2024, 07:18:13 PM »
The Wonder (2022):

Yet another very good Florence Pugh movie. 4/5

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: February 10, 2024, 08:21:57 PM »
Mirrored Mind (1995)

Pretty cool movie about a young lady slowly losing it. It's very lo-fi and a bit mysterious but not hard to understand at all. I'll prob watch a few more from this director.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #956 on: February 10, 2024, 09:10:20 PM »
Strays.

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #957 on: February 11, 2024, 08:06:33 AM »
Oldboy

I once had this on a burned DVD back in 2003 or so. Turned it off after 5 minutes because I thought it was too weird for me.
So now, 21 years later I finally watched it and DAMN. This is some movie, holy crap. I'm so into Korean cinema right now, they make some good stuff.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #958 on: February 11, 2024, 07:06:17 PM »
Totem (2023)

beautiful movie
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: February 11, 2024, 09:54:21 PM »
Happy Together (1997)

Pretty cool romantic drama, quite sad overall, with some amazing cinematography. Plus it's filmed in my country, which just makes it better ;D.

Heart of a Dog (2015)

Sad essay/documentary of Laurie Anderson's grief, about losing her mother and dog. Very moving.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #960 on: February 15, 2024, 07:47:27 AM »
"The Creator' - Neat AI vs Human movie.....really cool special effects and a decent enough storyline.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #961 on: February 19, 2024, 02:58:11 AM »
Terrifier 2.

Throwback to the 80's horror icon movies (Freddy, Jason, Micheal, Chucky etc).  Art the Clown is one nasty f*cker, and this film is seriously gory.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #962 on: February 20, 2024, 06:45:48 AM »
"The Creator' - Neat AI vs Human movie.....really cool special effects and a decent enough storyline.
I wanted to watch that when it came out but missed it.

Interstellar. I've been wanting to re-watch this for a while. Caught a few quick and subtle lines that made the plot slightly better (and this is already one of my favorite movies). I'm really hoping this get re-release on IMAX for the 10th anniversary. Would love to watch it n the big screen again.

The Marvels - Liked it better than when it was released.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

« Reply #963 on: February 20, 2024, 07:02:56 AM »
Lisa Frankenstein. had Weird Science vibes. was awesome
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Adami

« Reply #964 on: February 20, 2024, 07:15:25 AM »
Managed to finally watch every best picture nominee, finishing up Oppenheimer this past weekend.

Some really great movies out there. But a few quick thoughts.

Poor Things was wonderful, visually and creatively inventive with some outstanding performances. Felt a bit long though, maybe it was the structure.

The Holdovers was such a good and nice movie with lovely performances by everyone, really. Sad the main kid isn't getting any recognition, he was intense.

The Zone of Interest....eh. I get that how they made it was very interesting and it was very well directed, but I guess I just don't get it as such an amazing statement. Maybe it's because I'm quite familiar with the banality of evil, and how we're all so close to being awful, just needing the right context to bring it out. So while I enjoyed it, I just didn't get as shocked and moved by it.

Anatomy of a Fall really took me by surprise. If someone just described the plot, I'd say it sounded boring but it was so well executed, so well written, and so well acted. Really loved this one.

Maestro was okay. Clearly Bradley trying to make an Oscar movie but felt kind of empty.

Past Lives really moved me. I think I already mentioned it. One of the most mature and well written films.

Oppenheimer was....good. The first half, so like 90 minutes, was just SO fast and break neck speed that it was hard to care about what was happening. It felt like they filmed a Wikipedia article. Or it felt like a Heist montage of getting the gang together or planning out the heist, but for 90 minutes. Luckily, the 2nd half slowed down and was much better. Very well directed, tightly written, great acting. I know it'll win all the Oscars, and I get that Cillian likely deserves one, but I guess I just wasn't as wowed and impressed as everyone else. Still a good movie.

Killers of the Flower Moon. You know, for a 3.5 hour movie, this felt so tight. I wasn't looking at my phone or wondering how much longer it was at any point. The flow was amazing. Leo was great but felt like he was acting, while everyone else just became their characters. A real shame that Emma Stone was up against Lily Gladstone as she really deserves something for this but will be out shadowed by Emma at every turn.

Overall, some great movie. I have two more (Nyad and All of us Strangers) to watch and then I'm ready to go!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #965 on: February 21, 2024, 06:21:15 AM »
The Godfather

Somehow I had never watched this movie. To be honest, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. It was fine, kinda boring through much of it to be honest.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #966 on: February 21, 2024, 06:56:52 AM »
The Godfather

Somehow I had never watched this movie. To be honest, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. It was fine, kinda boring through much of it to be honest.
???
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #967 on: February 21, 2024, 06:57:53 AM »
The Godfather

I can get my friend Ken to explain it to you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: February 21, 2024, 07:14:15 AM »
The Godfather

My favorite movie of all time, not even close.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #969 on: February 21, 2024, 07:35:57 AM »
The Godfather

Same.

« Reply #970 on: February 21, 2024, 07:37:00 AM »
The Godfather

Same.

Say hello to my little friend!! :metal
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #971 on: February 21, 2024, 07:51:55 AM »
The Godfather

Same.

:facepalm:

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: February 21, 2024, 08:03:03 AM »
The Godfather

Same.

No, "drop the gun, grab the cannoli".

Online Adami

« Reply #973 on: February 21, 2024, 08:09:27 AM »
The Godfather

Same.

I am honestly torn on whether you got this wrong intentionally.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #974 on: February 21, 2024, 08:09:55 AM »
Leave the gun.  Take the cannoli.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #975 on: February 21, 2024, 08:12:48 AM »
The Godfather

It's a very well-made movie. . . that I don't connect to at all.  I don't want any of these mafia goons to succeed, so I have no emotional investment in their machinations.  I've seen it a few times, but really have no interest in seeing it again.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #976 on: February 21, 2024, 08:24:23 AM »
The Godfather

Lot of people feel that way. I'm somewhat in between. I think it's a great movie and it fascinates me, but it's not going to crack my top 10. I think the appeal is in how well it creates their world and brings you inside of it. If that's a place you do not want to be then you probably won't dig it. I'd typically prefer to watch Goodfellas, but FFC definitely does a better job of recreating the universe it all exists in.

I'll point out that all of the people who find Godfather to be overrated will say that Godfather 2 is the better film. The world is already established so it's able to move along at a slightly quicker pace. That said, it's also more complicated and takes a bit more effort to really understand. I'll just say that if you're going to watch one your should watch both.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

« Reply #977 on: February 21, 2024, 08:35:35 AM »
The Godfather

Same.

No, "say hello to the gun, befriend the cannoli"
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: February 21, 2024, 09:12:27 AM »
The Godfather

Same.

I am honestly torn on whether you got this wrong intentionally.

No, I winged it and got it wrong.  It's not even top 10 of my favorite lines from the movie, but it seems to be - after "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse" - the one that everyone knows.  Mine is "Fredo -- you're my older brother, and I love you. But don't ever take sides with anyone against the Family again. Ever."  Or "You don't even think to call me Godfather. Instead, you come into my house on the day my daughter is to be married, and you ask me to do murder ... for money."

« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 10:28:19 AM by Stadler »

Online Adami

« Reply #979 on: February 21, 2024, 09:15:33 AM »
You broke my heart.
fanticide.bandcamp.com