Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 51868 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #875 on: December 25, 2023, 08:49:29 PM »
Elf is on tap tonight - that's our family tradition.

Our family watched that last night. I had forgot I never have seen the whole thing. It was good to watch with the entire family on a Christmas Eve. It can be hard to find something entertaining for both the 12 and the 6 year old, adding to the fact that we had two 80 year olds in the house as well.

I make a point to watch some version of A Christmas Carol every year. This year is was the 1951 version, which I have not seen in many years. I first saw this later in life, long after I had seen the 1984 version multiple times growing up. I love that version. The 1951 version is... fine. It hits all the right plot points, but just feels like a film moving from one scene to the next. It's like the studio told ChatGPT "here's a story, write a film based on it." 

I don't want to compare this to the 1984 version*, but I cannot help use that as the benchmark, as that was part of my Christmas childhood, nearly as much as It's a Wonderful Life was. It's the definitive version for me. Drawing comparisons, it falls short in every way. I do like the additional scenes in Christmas Past, as that fleshed out that stage of Scrooge's life well. But the acting, the drama, the "tenderness and depth of feeling" is all better in the 1984 film. I'm not a film critic, and it's late on Christmas day... all the hows and whys are much more clear in my head, they just aren't going to make it to my fingers right now.

*or the 2019 FX version, which is really hard to compare to anything. I love this film as well; at this point it's my favorite Christmas Carol film, and may be a topic for another post.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #876 on: December 25, 2023, 11:59:42 PM »
Elf is on tap tonight - that's our family tradition.

Our family watched that last night. I had forgot I never have seen the whole thing. It was good to watch with the entire family on a Christmas Eve. It can be hard to find something entertaining for both the 12 and the 6 year old, adding to the fact that we had two 80 year olds in the house as well.

I make a point to watch some version of A Christmas Carol every year. This year is was the 1951 version, which I have not seen in many years. I first saw this later in life, long after I had seen the 1984 version multiple times growing up. I love that version. The 1951 version is... fine. It hits all the right plot points, but just feels like a film moving from one scene to the next. It's like the studio told ChatGPT "here's a story, write a film based on it." 

I don't want to compare this to the 1984 version*, but I cannot help use that as the benchmark, as that was part of my Christmas childhood, nearly as much as It's a Wonderful Life was. It's the definitive version for me. Drawing comparisons, it falls short in every way. I do like the additional scenes in Christmas Past, as that fleshed out that stage of Scrooge's life well. But the acting, the drama, the "tenderness and depth of feeling" is all better in the 1984 film. I'm not a film critic, and it's late on Christmas day... all the hows and whys are much more clear in my head, they just aren't going to make it to my fingers right now.

*or the 2019 FX version, which is really hard to compare to anything. I love this film as well; at this point it's my favorite Christmas Carol film, and may be a topic for another post.
I watched my favourite version a few nights ago. Martin Sheen and James Earl Jones reading Dickens's original "Prompt" copy, which is what he'd read from back when he was telling the story on street corners. James Earl Jones read Scrooge, and any narration referring to his thoughts, and Sheen read everything else. It's just wonderful. JEJ is clearly nervous as hell (this was a live performance) and you could hear his stutter trying to come out, but he got better each act. Sheen absolutely killed it. You could tell he'd really rehearsed it, and despite the fact that they weren't acting, but simply standing at podiums, he completely drew you in. I don't dig it out often, but when I want to see A Christmas Carol it's the only one I go to.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #877 on: December 26, 2023, 11:59:07 PM »
Rebel Moon.  As derivative as the reviews have said and ever action scene is shown in slow motion.  It not awful but it's pretty bad unfortunately, but I'll probably still watch part 2..

I’ll still watch it eventually but was scared that this would fall flat and miss the mark.

It's pretty much what you'd expect from Snyder does Star Wars.

So yeah……I watched it. Run of the mill story with run of the mill characters with sub par choreography and action and barely a redeeming character in it. Now im on the hook for Pt. 2 since I watched this one.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #878 on: December 27, 2023, 09:51:42 AM »
Rebel Moon.  As derivative as the reviews have said and ever action scene is shown in slow motion.  It not awful but it's pretty bad unfortunately, but I'll probably still watch part 2..

I’ll still watch it eventually but was scared that this would fall flat and miss the mark.

So yeah……I watched it. Run of the mill story with run of the mill characters with sub par choreography and action and barely a redeeming character in it. Now im on the hook for Pt. 2 since I watched this one.

The cinematography was pretty weak as well.

But yeah, I'll end up watching the second one as well.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: December 27, 2023, 10:39:13 AM »

Agreed on the cinematography as well....everything about the movie was substandard. The most interesting character in the whole movie was only onscreen for about three minutes. That AI Robot.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #880 on: December 27, 2023, 09:00:33 PM »
I watched my favourite version a few nights ago. Martin Sheen and James Earl Jones reading Dickens's original "Prompt" copy, which is what he'd read from back when he was telling the story on street corners.

I watched this years ago, probably on your recommendation, and it wasn't working for me. I cannot recall why. I'll give it another go, if not this year, hopefully I will remember next December.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #881 on: December 28, 2023, 07:56:19 AM »
We finally watched Barbie last night. It was cute and well done.  :tup

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #882 on: December 28, 2023, 08:14:08 AM »
I watched my favourite version a few nights ago. Martin Sheen and James Earl Jones reading Dickens's original "Prompt" copy, which is what he'd read from back when he was telling the story on street corners.

I watched this years ago, probably on your recommendation, and it wasn't working for me. I cannot recall why. I'll give it another go, if not this year, hopefully I will remember next December.
You sure about that? Until this month it's been impossible to find online, AFAICT. Somebody recently posted it to YT, although there's a sync issue with it. Other than that it's only existed as a PBS educational tape at an exorbitant price on Amazon.

Looks like this: https://youtu.be/Gudv8Cy6OSQ?t=1655
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #883 on: December 28, 2023, 08:24:08 AM »
Huh, what am I thinking of then? I'll check this out when I get home tonight.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #884 on: December 28, 2023, 08:28:09 AM »
Huh, what am I thinking of then? I'll check this out when I get home tonight.
Might be it and might not work for you, but I'd hate for you to think that based on a false recollection.

Like I said, JEJ is pretty shaky for a lot of it, but it's impossible not to love what Sheen does in it.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: December 28, 2023, 07:26:14 PM »
Am I having my own personal Mandala Effect? I found what you are talking about on YT and I feel like I have seen that before, but maybe it was a different reading, or maybe I am thinking of an older radio play I've heard in the past. Or it's just too much eggnog. I'll bookmark this and follow-up.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #886 on: December 28, 2023, 08:01:05 PM »

Agreed on the cinematography as well....everything about the movie was substandard. The most interesting character in the whole movie was only onscreen for about three minutes. That AI Robot.

Damn I wish I'd seen this before watching that fucking train wreck. They took every sci-fi trope from the past 50 years and dropped the standard on them in every possible way.

And yeah, that robot was so promising, I was pissed he just got ignored after that scene.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #887 on: December 30, 2023, 05:14:46 AM »
Dream Scenario. Nicholas Cage is a boring professor that suddenly starts to appear in everyone's dreams. First he's just being a background character of the dream not doing anything, then the nature of the dreams changes.

It's a nice "WTF am I watching" kinda movie. Not a masterpiece but enjoyable
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #888 on: December 31, 2023, 12:34:43 PM »
The Poseidon Adventure
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #889 on: December 31, 2023, 09:43:24 PM »
Barbie

Terrible. My kids, both girls, hated it too. Subtle as a sledgehammer to the nuts. Can't believe how this got the hype it did.

2/10. 1 star each for Ryan Gosling and Margot Robbie.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: January 01, 2024, 12:08:27 AM »
Our family just watched this too. I didn't hate it but I can't say I enjoyed it much. The first 30 minutes or so was great, but I always had this feeling it was going to go off the rails at any point, which of course it did. Props to Ryan and Margot for making this watchable.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #891 on: January 01, 2024, 06:05:14 AM »
Wonka.  Good flick.  Nice to re-start our family tradition of going out for dinner and a movie on NYE.  Timothee Chamolet did a great job portraying a young Willy.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: January 01, 2024, 11:21:53 AM »
Barbie

Terrible. My kids, both girls, hated it too. Subtle as a sledgehammer to the nuts. Can't believe how this got the hype it did.

Our family just watched this too. I didn't hate it but I can't say I enjoyed it much. The first 30 minutes or so was great, but I always had this feeling it was going to go off the rails at any point, which of course it did. Props to Ryan and Margot for making this watchable.

Yeah.....it will forever remain a very hard pass for me to even consider watching that film. I've heard all I need to hear about it to know that it's just not for me.

Wonka.  Good flick.  Nice to re-start our family tradition of going out for dinner and a movie on NYE.  Timothee Chamolet did a great job portraying a young Willy.

You're the fourth or fifth person I know that has had good things to say about it. I was pretty skeptical about it after watching the trailer.....looked a bit too goofy and like they were trying too hard. But, it's sounding like I may have to reconsider and just watch the thing.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #893 on: January 01, 2024, 04:00:47 PM »
I also saw Wonka. Was definitely better than expected. Worth a shot but beware it is a full on musical so if that is not your thing then maybe give it a miss. Good family movie with some great British character actors.

On a completely different note I also saw Infinity Pool. I see it made Mike Portnoys top movie list. Really interesting concept and overall was great but maybe goes off the rails a little bit. Highly recommend though if you like dark, creepy movies. Has a bit in common conceptually with The Menu and Triangle of Sadness.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #894 on: January 01, 2024, 07:15:37 PM »
I also saw Wonka. Was definitely better than expected. Worth a shot but beware it is a full on musical so if that is not your thing then maybe give it a miss. Good family movie with some great British character actors.

Thank you…..thank you….THANK YOU for the heads up on the musical aspect. That’ll be a hard pass from me then. Appreciate you mentioning that.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #895 on: January 01, 2024, 07:29:50 PM »

Thank you…..thank you….THANK YOU for the heads up on the musical aspect. That’ll be a hard pass from me then. Appreciate you mentioning that.

No worries at all. I think it is something that is easy to miss as it is not advertised as such but there is a lot of singing. Also Timothy Chalement is a very average singer. Great he is doing the singing but he is nowhere near Broadway level. His acting is great though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: January 02, 2024, 04:45:34 AM »
I'm not sure I'd call it "full-on".  There were like what ... 8-10 musical numbers in there?  But yeah, if that ain't someone's thing, they should pass.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #897 on: January 02, 2024, 06:21:16 AM »

Barbie

My wife just watched it and said it sucked too. My daughter LOVED it, and I saw a snippet when my wife was watching it and... it could go either way but I'm leaning towards my wife.  I get it was only five minutes, but it just seemed so... "message-y".  No thanks.

« Reply #898 on: January 02, 2024, 07:56:09 AM »

Barbie

My wife just watched it and said it sucked too. My daughter LOVED it, and I saw a snippet when my wife was watching it and... it could go either way but I'm leaning towards my wife.  I get it was only five minutes, but it just seemed so... "message-y".  No thanks.

haha "message-y" is the perfect description for other shitty propaganda films like Top Gun, etc. definitely agree with you, Barbie is too preachy. I think this is why i like sci fi/fantasy/surreal movies the best, because they tend to leave politics out of it and let you just escape
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #899 on: January 02, 2024, 08:43:50 AM »
Watched Belfast over the christmas period. Pretty damn good. Some great character moments, humour and heart, overlaid on a tragic background.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: January 02, 2024, 09:11:44 AM »

Barbie

haha "message-y" is the perfect description for other shitty propaganda films like Top Gun, etc. definitely agree with you, Barbie is too preachy. I think this is why i like sci fi/fantasy/surreal movies the best, because they tend to leave politics out of it and let you just escape

I don't mind a message; the best pieces of art have a message, they just don't beat you over the head with it.  I don't even have to agree with it (I LOVE REM, and I'm pretty sure that Michael Stipe and I do not see eye-to-eye on a lot of things), but here it was pretty obvious just watching five minutes out of context.  That seems a tad heavy-handed to me.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: January 02, 2024, 11:42:47 AM »
My wife, son, and I all loved the Barbie movie.  If you consider "acknowledging the crap that women have to put up with in our society" as "politics", I'd suggest it's time for some introspection.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: January 02, 2024, 12:33:43 PM »
My wife, son, and I all loved the Barbie movie.  If you consider "acknowledging the crap that women have to put up with in our society" as "politics", I'd suggest it's time for some introspection.

Well, can't argue over a movie I haven't seen, but there's THREE WOMEN in the last five posts that said it sucked, so...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #903 on: January 02, 2024, 12:35:53 PM »

Well, can't argue over a movie I haven't seen, but there's THREE WOMEN in the last five posts that said it sucked, so...

I loved it. Watched it a second time with wife, two sisters in law, both in laws. Everyone loved it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #904 on: January 02, 2024, 12:38:59 PM »

I loved it. Watched it a second time with wife, two sisters in law, both in laws. Everyone loved it.

See what I mean?  Now SIX people that say it sucks.  Or seven.  Or nine. I can't quite tell how many watched it.  But a lot!!   

Offline The Realm

« Reply #905 on: January 02, 2024, 05:51:19 PM »
I'm not sure I'd call it "full-on".  There were like what ... 8-10 musical numbers in there?  But yeah, if that ain't someone's thing, they should pass.

Sorry all I meant from using the term ‘full on’ is that this a musical. Ie a movie with a song every 10 to 15 minutes. It isn’t a movie with one or two songs scattered through it, the songs are fully integrated as part of the story and set pieces. I didn’t mean to apply anything more than that. I’m just very surprised that the movie has not been marketed as a musical so was just trying to make this clear.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #906 on: January 02, 2024, 06:42:35 PM »
Finally got around to watching Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. It was...fine. Don't see how they squeeze another one out of Ford at this point though.

Oh and Barbie's great.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: January 02, 2024, 07:36:25 PM »

Sorry all I meant from using the term ‘full on’ is that this a musical. Ie a movie with a song every 10 to 15 minutes. It isn’t a movie with one or two songs scattered through it, the songs are fully integrated as part of the story and set pieces. I didn’t mean to apply anything more than that. I’m just very surprised that the movie has not been marketed as a musical so was just trying to make this clear.

:tup :tup  Totally fair assessment.

« Reply #908 on: January 03, 2024, 09:10:02 PM »
just watched Saltburn, didn't get the hype for that one. 3/5

barbie also about a 3/5. it didn't suck but it's not the incredible movie everyone said
Welcome to the Forums!

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #909 on: January 05, 2024, 08:43:12 PM »
DREAM SCENARIO

My review on YouTube of this Dark Dramedy with Nicolas Cage about a guy who finds fame and trouble when mysteriously appearing in people's dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqgKNurBNJg