Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 51849 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #735 on: October 29, 2023, 12:46:29 PM »
I just saw "Metal Massacre- The Story Behind the Legendary Album" documentary about Brian Slagel and Metal Blade records. It was excellent!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #736 on: October 29, 2023, 01:49:05 PM »
For the first time, I saw Saw.

:biggrin:

Pun aside, while I'm not the biggest horror fan, I liked it. It's a film so old and relatively famous that I was bound to know something about it, but luckily the movie didn't get spoiled down to the last detail. I remember having read that the killer was always there in the room, but I was also sure that the actor playing Jigsaw was the guy playing Zed, so I was a bit confused. In the end, the twist got me, so it was all good in the end.

There are clever plot twists (that are constructed well and give a movie rewatch value) and there are silly plot twists, thrown there just because; Saw's plot twist is definitively of the first kind, the good one.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #737 on: October 30, 2023, 07:34:24 AM »
saw Saw X last week finally. glad to put that series to rest, and weirdly the 10th one was one of the best ones? lol

went and saw The Changeling last night as well, and it's based on a haunted house that I live walking distance from in Denver!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #738 on: October 30, 2023, 08:08:38 AM »
saw Saw X last week finally. glad to put that series to rest, and weirdly the 10th one was one of the best ones? lol

I don't think I'll watch the sequels. I watched the first movie of a genre I'm not overly in love with, I liked it, I'm just gonna quit while I'm ahead  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #739 on: October 30, 2023, 08:42:24 AM »
Just an FYI, Saw X takes place between the first and second films, despite being the 10th film in the series.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #740 on: November 01, 2023, 05:56:36 AM »
Just an FYI, Saw X takes place between the first and second films, despite being the 10th film in the series.

Duly noted!  :tup

Last couple of movies seen:

- SPEAK NO EVIL - Interesting premise and execution, but some things in the decisions process of the protagonists fell flat and felt too unbelieavable. Wasted opportunity.

- THE NUN - Good enough for this period of the year, nothing groundbreaking but just a decent horror movie with religious undertones.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #741 on: November 02, 2023, 09:37:02 AM »
Throw Momma From The Train

First time watching in several decades.  Still fantastic.  Possibly an acquired taste, but I cannot recommend highly enough.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #742 on: November 02, 2023, 05:16:40 PM »

First time watching in several decades.  Still fantastic.  Possibly an acquired taste, but I cannot recommend highly enough.

"Owen doesn't have a friend."

"That's because he's shy."

"No, he's not.  He's fat and he's stupid."

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

That exchange sounds awful without watching the scene, but Anne Ramsey totally makes it work.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #743 on: November 02, 2023, 07:00:14 PM »
The Social Network

Hate Facebook. Love this movie.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #744 on: November 03, 2023, 10:25:12 AM »

That exchange sounds awful without watching the scene, but Anne Ramsey totally makes it work.
[Momma sees Larry for the first time]
Momma: Who's this?
Owen: This is Cousin Paddy. He's coming to stay with us a while. Isn't that nice?
Momma: [suspiciously] You don't *have* a "Cousin Paddy".
Owen: [to Larry] You lied to me!
[Owen knocks Larry out with a frying pan to the head]

------

Larry: [on the phone with Owen from Hawaii] Owen, what the hell did you do to my wife?
Owen: Ehh, I don't want to say over the phone. All I can tell ya is that I killed her last night.
[hangs up]
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #745 on: November 03, 2023, 05:50:58 PM »

Owen: This is Cousin Paddy. He's coming to stay with us a while. Isn't that nice?

------

Larry: [on the phone with Owen from Hawaii] Owen, what the hell did you do to my wife?
Owen: Ehh, I don't want to say over the phone. All I can tell ya is that I killed her last night.
[hangs up]

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Bill Crystal's puzzled reaction and "what?" after Momma calls him a black bastard will never not make me LOL hard.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #746 on: November 04, 2023, 01:41:42 PM »
Saw Memoirs of a Geisha. Beautiful sceneries all around. Sad story however.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #747 on: November 06, 2023, 10:50:11 AM »
The French Connection (1971)

First time watching this in a couple of decades, at least.  I didn't enjoy it as much as I remember enjoying it before.  Still wonderfully directed and acted, of course, and the car chase is wonderfully gonzo.  But I just didn't find the actual story all that engaging, I didn't really care much for many of the characters (big shoutout, however, to Roy Scheider, who is gold in everything), and the title cards at the end telling everyone's fate is just kind of weird.  Still, a fantastic film.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #748 on: November 06, 2023, 12:35:55 PM »
Me Before You.

After the disaster of King's Landing, Daenerys Targaryen becomes a simple and kind hearted small town girl that takes a job as assistant to a tetraplegic man, paralyzed from the neck down. A very poignant and touching movie, you can call it "romantic" but it's not saccharine, it has substance to it, it balances in a nice way the drama and the heavy moments (and boy, there ARE very heavy moments) and the more funny and cute ones. Absolutely a great movie, to call it "a romantic movie involving a disabled man" is selling it short. An hidden gem.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: November 06, 2023, 05:31:30 PM »
The French Connection (1971)

First time watching this in a couple of decades, at least.  I didn't enjoy it as much as I remember enjoying it before.  Still wonderfully directed and acted, of course, and the car chase is wonderfully gonzo.  But I just didn't find the actual story all that engaging, I didn't really care much for many of the characters (big shoutout, however, to Roy Scheider, who is gold in everything), and the title cards at the end telling everyone's fate is just kind of weird.  Still, a fantastic film.

I saw this many years ago, and was mildly disappointed, based on it being an Oscar winner, having one of my favorite actors (Hackman), and all the acclaim it has received over the years. I think I also just didn't find the story very interesting, and outside of Cloudy and Popeye's interactions, the characters weren't interesting either. I've thought about checking it out again to see if my opinions have changed, but when I do revisit an old film, more often than not I find my initial reactions are still valid.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline coz

« Reply #750 on: November 06, 2023, 09:43:56 PM »

------

[hangs up]

Bill Crystal's puzzled reaction and "what?" after Momma calls him a black bastard will never not make me LOL hard.

Throw Momma... is an absolute classic in my book.  Sooo many great quotes.

What a dream I was having!  Louis Armstrong was trying to kill me!
 :lol
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #751 on: November 07, 2023, 06:20:56 AM »

------

[hangs up]

Throw Momma... is an absolute classic in my book.  Sooo many great quotes.

What a dream I was having!  Louis Armstrong was trying to kill me!
 :lol

"Get away from me, you horse's ass!"

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline coz

« Reply #752 on: November 07, 2023, 01:06:14 PM »
 :rollin
Next is "Murder at My Friend Harry's" by Owen Lift. Chapter one:
The night was humid. Class dismissed, I have an enormous headache in my eye.
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #753 on: November 07, 2023, 08:20:47 PM »
Underrated line.  :lol :lol

(to Momma) "Momma, you're alive!"

(to the cops) "Old people, you have to reassure them."

:rollin :rollin

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #754 on: November 07, 2023, 10:23:27 PM »
I haven't seen it in a coon's age, but Throw Momma never clicked with me. It should have. I thought it was well done and appreciated the cast. It just didn't resonate. Partly because around the same time DeVito did Ruthless People, and that's an absolute masterpiece. It was a wee bit earlier and pretty much set a bar for Danny DeVito and that sort of comedy, and TMftT majorly failed to match it, I thought.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #755 on: November 08, 2023, 08:06:07 AM »
I haven't seen it in a coon's age, but Throw Momma never clicked with me. It should have. I thought it was well done and appreciated the cast. It just didn't resonate. Partly because around the same time DeVito did Ruthless People, and that's an absolute masterpiece. It was a wee bit earlier and pretty much set a bar for Danny DeVito and that sort of comedy, and TMftT majorly failed to match it, I thought.

I had forgotten about Ruthless People until a few years ago when I stumbled across it while flipping around the dial, and I was reminded of how funny it is.  The scene with Sam, Ken, Earl and the SWAT team is priceless.  "This could very well be the stupidest person on the face of the earth.  Perhaps we should shoot him." :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #756 on: November 08, 2023, 08:41:27 AM »
I don't know, other than DeVito is in it, and it's comedy, I wouldn't think to compare the two.

Give TMFTT a rewatch.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #757 on: November 08, 2023, 08:43:29 AM »
saw The Burbs last night and was into it until the last 5 minutes, which kinda ruined the film

2/5

enjoyed the camp. t hanks is always good. the neighbors were kooky. the ending was so stupid tho
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #758 on: November 08, 2023, 08:45:10 AM »
Last night, I watched F/X (1986), starring Bryan Brown and Brian Denehy.

For those unfamiliar with the film: "The film follows a special effects expert who is hired by the U.S. Department of Justice to stage the murder of a mobster about to enter the Witness Protection Program, but complications arise when he is targeted for murder himself; meanwhile, an NYPD detective becomes suspicious of the circumstances of the case."

I haven't seen this movie since shortly after release (so, a long long time).  I won't go so far as to say it was really good, but I definitely enjoyed it.  I've always liked Bryan Brown, and Denehy is pretty much gold in everything.  It also features Jerry Orbach in a seemingly rare villainous role.  Good stuff.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #759 on: November 08, 2023, 09:22:53 AM »

I had forgotten about Ruthless People until a few years ago when I stumbled across it while flipping around the dial, and I was reminded of how funny it is.  The scene with Sam, Ken, Earl and the SWAT team is priceless.  "This could very well be the stupidest person on the face of the earth.  Perhaps we should shoot him." :lol :lol :lol :lol

I love Ruthless People.  I think it's hilarious.  The premise, the casting, everything is great.  I never warmed to Throw Momma from the Train.  It just seemed like a like of really unlikeable people doing despicable things.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #760 on: November 08, 2023, 11:09:41 AM »

No! We're the National Rifle Association.  :lol

Lt. Bender was the unsung hero in that movie. When Ken was trying to escape out the window after telling the cops he had the stomach flu, the sympathetic look on Bender's face was priceless.

Pretty much everything about that movie was perfectly done. DeVito really sold the premise wonderfully. Midler killed her part. Slater and Freaking-Reinhold were wonderfully meek. The blonde guy actually was the stupidest person on Earth. Hell, even the dogs were perfect.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: November 09, 2023, 09:44:57 AM »

For those unfamiliar with the film: "The film follows a special effects expert who is hired by the U.S. Department of Justice to stage the murder of a mobster about to enter the Witness Protection Program, but complications arise when he is targeted for murder himself; meanwhile, an NYPD detective becomes suspicious of the circumstances of the case."

I haven't seen this movie since shortly after release (so, a long long time).  I won't go so far as to say it was really good, but I definitely enjoyed it.  I've always liked Bryan Brown, and Denehy is pretty much gold in everything.  It also features Jerry Orbach in a seemingly rare villainous role.  Good stuff.

I really like that movie, and the sequel.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #762 on: November 09, 2023, 09:56:02 AM »

Must have missed this one. I went on a political thriller bender a while back, and this would have been a great fit. Kind of sounds a bit like Blowout, with John Travolta.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #763 on: November 09, 2023, 10:28:42 AM »
Last night, I watched Crossfire (1947).

This was ostensibly for my annual dive into the film noir genre (#Noirvember), but I would have watched this one anyway.  Robert Young, Robert Mitchum, and Robert Ryan starring, in a crime flick about military personnel and exploring anti-Semitism.  It was nominated for 5 Academy Awards (Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Writing - Adapted Screenplay), although it didn't win any.

Very nice.  Good watch.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: November 09, 2023, 08:28:00 PM »
I remember F/X and liking it, but that's about it all these years later.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #765 on: November 10, 2023, 07:56:05 AM »
I remember F/X and liking it, but that's about it all these years later.
Well, I'm not sure there is much more about it than that.  I liked it, but I doubt I rewatch it.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #766 on: November 10, 2023, 10:52:45 AM »
Old Dads. Hilarious!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #767 on: November 11, 2023, 05:49:40 AM »
Being John Malkovich. Never saw it back in the day, it's on Prime and I figured why not. What the hell was that  :lol I mean, I don't regret watching it 'cause it was fun after all, but it was weeeeeeeeird.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #768 on: November 11, 2023, 08:21:11 AM »
Being John Malkovich was a trip.  Yeah, very weird.  My favorite part was when Malkovich went into his own head, and everyone and everything was Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich.  Didn't make a damned bit of sense, but it was fun.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #769 on: November 11, 2023, 11:03:27 AM »
Pearl

Not bad at all...
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...