Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 51845 times)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2022, 10:00:00 PM »
Goncharov (1973) directed by Martin Scorsese

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2022, 09:04:23 AM »
Don't Worry Darling   

What a garbage film.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2022, 10:19:51 AM »
Don't Worry Darling   

What a garbage film.

I’ve been curious about this one, but I have yet to hear anyone say anything good about it.

I watched Pearl last night, a prequel to another film, “X”, released earlier this year. I loved it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2022, 12:53:55 PM »
The Sound of 007 (2022)

A really cool documentary on the music of the James Bond films, from Jon Barry to Hans Zimmer, as well as the all of the singles.  Great, great watch.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2022, 01:49:04 PM »
The Maltese Falcon (1941)

Good movie. Bogart really was a cool dude. I always regarded the classic actors from back then to be silly. Not much acting, really, when compared to the Brandos and Lancasters that followed. After watching movies with Bogart, Grant, and in particular Clarke Gable, they were all great for the films they made. Sometimes being really cool and manly as all fuck is plenty, so long as the character is believable.

The plot is a little convoluted so you can't always follow along real well, but that's part of what makes it work. Not the confusion, that's bad, but rather that you never actually know how much or how little Bogie knows. The best characters keep their cards close to the vest, and with him you never knew if he was two steps ahead or two steps behind. You got the feeling he kept alternating between the two. 

Mary Astor was the week link. By 1941 standards she was nowhere near hot enough to sell her part of the story, and unlike Bogie, where you were never sure what his thinking was, you always knew she was simply lying. At the same time Peter Lorre absolutely made up for it. That guy's a hoot in everything he's in. When they find out the bird is a phony and he immediately breaks down and cries I just about lost it. It was so perfect for his character. Pretty much any time he was on the screen he stole the scene.   

The end was great. While his decision was pretty fucking harsh, his explanation and rationale for it was brilliant. And because of the aforementioned problem with Astor's character you never really felt bad for her anyway. I have no idea if he felt at all bad for her, but I sure didn't.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2022, 02:03:45 PM »
The Princess Bride (1987)

Yes, I'd never seen the damn thing before. Liked it a lot, although I wound up skipping through the Faulk/Savage parts. Reiner struck a wonderful balance between adventure, comedy, and whimsy. Normally in something like that I'd wind up rolling my eyes at needlessly sentimental bits. He never took things that far. Really well done on his part. Fantasy and romance without hokieness is tough to do, and he nailed it.

Great casting, to boot. The only issue I had with it is that Vizzini didn't get 3 words out his mouth before I heard Grand Nagus Zek, and I could never unhear it. Not his fault, though. (Had a similar issue with Chris Sarandon, but his DS9 character wasn't over the top silly, so it didn't bother me.) Everybody did their parts great. While she was only in it for a bit, Carol Kane was the highlight. Her character was basically a 90 year old version of Simka, which was a hoot. Strangely, I didn't pick up on Nigel Tufnel, and when I read who that was I went back and looked again and still couldn't recognize him. I suppose he was just far more serious than I'm used to seeing. I also really liked the Ancient Booer:lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2022, 02:10:58 PM »
The Maltese Falcon (1941)

Good movie. Bogart really was a cool dude. I always regarded the classic actors from back then to be silly. Not much acting, really, when compared to the Brandos and Lancasters that followed. After watching movies with Bogart, Grant, and in particular Clarke Gable, they were all great for the films they made. Sometimes being really cool and manly as all fuck is plenty, so long as the character is believable.

The plot is a little convoluted so you can't always follow along real well, but that's part of what makes it work. Not the confusion, that's bad, but rather that you never actually know how much or how little Bogie knows. The best characters keep their cards close to the vest, and with him you never knew if he was two steps ahead or two steps behind. You got the feeling he kept alternating between the two. 

Mary Astor was the week link. By 1941 standards she was nowhere near hot enough to sell her part of the story, and unlike Bogie, where you were never sure what his thinking was, you always knew she was simply lying. At the same time Peter Lorre absolutely made up for it. That guy's a hoot in everything he's in. When they find out the bird is a phony and he immediately breaks down and cries I just about lost it. It was so perfect for his character. Pretty much any time he was on the screen he stole the scene.   

The end was great. While his decision was pretty fucking harsh, his explanation and rationale for it was brilliant. And because of the aforementioned problem with Astor's character you never really felt bad for her anyway. I have no idea if he felt at all bad for her, but I sure didn't.
Definitely one of my favorite films of that era, and probably in my Top 25 or so of all time.

Yes, I'd never seen the damn thing before.
That fact is more amazing than the film (which I love).  How have you avoided it all these years?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2022, 02:46:01 PM »
I watched Pearl last night, a prequel to another film, “X”, released earlier this year. I loved it.

Probably my favorite movie of the year.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2022, 05:19:10 PM »

Yes, I'd never seen the damn thing before. Liked it a lot, although I wound up skipping through the Faulk/Savage parts. Reiner struck a wonderful balance between adventure, comedy, and whimsy. Normally in something like that I'd wind up rolling my eyes at needlessly sentimental bits. He never took things that far. Really well done on his part. Fantasy and romance without hokieness is tough to do, and he nailed it.

Great casting, to boot. The only issue I had with it is that Vizzini didn't get 3 words out his mouth before I heard Grand Nagus Zek, and I could never unhear it. Not his fault, though. (Had a similar issue with Chris Sarandon, but his DS9 character wasn't over the top silly, so it didn't bother me.) Everybody did their parts great. While she was only in it for a bit, Carol Kane was the highlight. Her character was basically a 90 year old version of Simka, which was a hoot. Strangely, I didn't pick up on Nigel Tufnel, and when I read who that was I went back and looked again and still couldn't recognize him. I suppose he was just far more serious than I'm used to seeing. I also really liked the Ancient Booer:lol

Nice!  One of my all-time favorites.  Both of my brothers and I can all pretty much quote the whole film on command.  :lol :lol

So many great lines, but a favorite is when the gatekeeper pretends to have no gate key, but as soon as Inigo tells Fezzik to tear his arms off, he gives it up immediately. "Oh, you mean this gate key." :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2022, 08:55:35 AM »
I watched “Dual” last night. Interesting premise but the movie fell flat for me. Halfway through I thought it felt similar to another movie I watched a few months ago, The Art of Self-Defense. Sure enough, they have the same director, Riley Stearns. This guy’s shtick seems to be quirky, sometimes verbose dialogue delivered in deadpan, and it gets old real fast. Wes Anderson is great at that, this guy is not. 4/10

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2022, 09:08:25 PM »
No Country for Old Men (2007)

Yeah, OK. Whatever, I guess. I honestly enjoyed actually watching the movie. The characters were interesting. The style was cool. Good, if not trite story. It should be right up my alley. And yet overall I think rather poorly of it. Like other Coen movies it seems simply an exercise in style, with nothing to really show for it. It's not like I want my 2 hours back, I enjoyed it well enough, but I certainly didn't gain anything from the experience. A bunch of pretty good scenes that combine to make absolutely nothing, aside from a big bag of loose ends and unanswered questions. And not the sort of questions that are fun to ponder on a philosophical level, but more like "what the fuck was happening there?" 

Honestly, the Coen brothers just don't work for me. I suppose it might be failing on my part, but I don't think so. Lebowski was alright, but I think it's overrated. Didn't much care for Fargo, which makes it overrated, as well. Couldn't stand Raising Arizona. Their movies just always strike me as "look how artistic we can be." I'm all in on ars gratia artis, but it should still mean something.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2022, 09:28:30 PM »
Maltese Falcon:

* El Barto is correct about Peter Lorre.
* Sydney Greenstreet came to film acting very late in his life, and this was his first role, and I believe I once read his first scenes were with Bogart. No pressure, there.

The Princess Bride:

* I likewise saw this later, the style was far and away what I enjoyed the most.
* When I saw the credits for A Few Good Men at the end of the film, I thought "Wait, Christopher Guest was in that? Who the heck was he?"

No Country For Old Men:

* Definitely thought I would like it more that I did. Seemed like a film that would be right up my alley. Cannot explain why, it just fell a bit flat. I am not a huge Coen Bros fan, but I can at at least enjoy all their films to some degree. Curiously, of the ones I've seen, I liked The Big Lebowski the least.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2022, 09:46:14 PM »
Maltese Falcon:

* El Barto is correct about Peter Lorre.
I was thinking bout it earlier. Just like you never really knew what Bogie knew, there was also an unknown quality to Peter Lorre. You kept expecting him to do something violent or psychotic. At one point he menacingly tells Sam Spade "that's the second time you've laid your hands on me," like he was fixing to snap. You keep waiting for it, and then he starts to completely go off on the Fat Man, so this has to be it, and then he breaks down and cries like a little girl about the fake bird which makes him all the more insane. I really like that guy.

Curiously, of the ones I've seen, I liked The Big Lebowski the least.
At least it had some great scenes, and some great laughs. Quotable things that everybody found funny. And several wonderful characters. Between Sobchack and the nihilists there's plenty there to amuse you.

Now that I think about it, Lebowski is exactly the opposite of NCfOM. It's actually a complete movie with a coherent plot, but a style that just doesn't work for me. Stylistically I liked No Country but the movie was just hollow. In both cases it's style over substance, and in both cases they completely miss the mark, I think.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 09:55:31 PM by El Barto »
E.F. Benson

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2022, 10:18:08 PM »
I have a love/hate relationship with the Coen brothers.
I watched “Hail, Caesar!” earlier this year. Did not hold my attention for even a second.
Big Lebowski is great, though I haven’t watched it in years.
O Brother Where Art Thou is a classic and one of the most quotable movies of all time.
No Country just felt kinda aimless? The villain of that movie is great but it didn’t seem like they knew how to end it.
Inside Llewyn Davis was boring.
I could not finish The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.
I liked Raising Arizona, but wasn’t blown away like some people.
The Tragedy of MacBeth was fine. There’s better adaptations of the story, like Throne of Blood by Akira Kurosawa.
The rest I have not seen.

I just finished watching Speak No Evil and “Evil” is the best word to describe this movie. Don’t watch this movie if you’re a parent.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2022, 07:27:21 AM »
I liked Raising Arizona, but other than that, am I the only one that doesn't quite jive with the Coen Brothers?   I haven't seen all of them, but from what I have seen, none of those other ones really grab my potatoes.  I don't quite get the mystique about The Big Lebowski, frankly.  Do I need to give it another spin?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2022, 07:30:17 AM »
I think their biggest flaw is endings. A lot of their movies just kind of stop without ending. So it makes it feel like the journey wasn't going anywhere.

Some great films in there and they're clearly masters of their craft, but to me they need to figure out how to end a story.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2022, 08:18:25 AM »
I liked Raising Arizona, but other than that, am I the only one that doesn't quite jive with the Coen Brothers?   I haven't seen all of them, but from what I have seen, none of those other ones really grab my potatoes.  I don't quite get the mystique about The Big Lebowski, frankly.  Do I need to give it another spin?
Not really. It is what it is. I actually did give it another watch and it didn't make a bit of difference. It's still an alright, highly overrated movie with some funny characters.

I think their biggest flaw is endings. A lot of their movies just kind of stop without ending. So it makes it feel like the journey wasn't going anywhere.
I really don't think the stories matter to them. The stories are simply a vehicle to do what they do, and when they'd done it they just leave it on the side of the road. Based on the first vignette I watched Buster Scruggs, and it's shorter versions of the exact same theme (at least 3 of the 4 I could get through). They're parables with no meaning or substance.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2022, 08:41:10 AM »
The Bad Lieutenant-Port of Call New Orleans (2009)

I'm not sure how to view this movie. I liked the Abel Ferrera Bad Lieutenant with Harvey Keitel. The religious theme, generally dismissed, is excellent. This was Werner Herzog, and he was pretty clear that he didn't want to associate his movie with the original. "Not a remake! Not a sequel!" The studio forced him to use the BL title. So I try to watch it on that basis. At the same time it's following a course so similar it's impossible not to make the association. And the problem is that it did it very well. The man spiraled out of control something awful, and the things working against him just kept piling up. Just like the kid he originally rescued, who started off his unfortunate sequence of events, he's trapped and the water's rising around him. It looks like a remake, and it works very well as one. In some ways better, as Nicholas Cage never asked for what happened to him, as opposed to Harvey Keitel who was just a raging degenerate from the get-go. Plus, we get to see the build up, whereas in the first one we come in as Keitel is already completely out of control.

The problem is that in the original Harvey finds Jesus (literally, definitely not spiritually), gets the answer to his problems, and sacrifices himself to save two kids who deserve a second chance. In this one all of the problems just resolve themselves and he and his new family live happily ever after. No consequences. No redemption. No point to the story. As a standalone movie about a cop spiraling out of control it's probably quite good, but if you've seen the original it just doesn't work.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2022, 09:06:52 AM »
No Country for Old Men (2007)

Yeah, OK. Whatever, I guess. I honestly enjoyed actually watching the movie. The characters were interesting. The style was cool. Good, if not trite story. It should be right up my alley. And yet overall I think rather poorly of it. Like other Coen movies it seems simply an exercise in style, with nothing to really show for it. It's not like I want my 2 hours back, I enjoyed it well enough, but I certainly didn't gain anything from the experience. A bunch of pretty good scenes that combine to make absolutely nothing, aside from a big bag of loose ends and unanswered questions. And not the sort of questions that are fun to ponder on a philosophical level, but more like "what the fuck was happening there?" 

Honestly, the Coen brothers just don't work for me. I suppose it might be failing on my part, but I don't think so. Lebowski was alright, but I think it's overrated. Didn't much care for Fargo, which makes it overrated, as well. Couldn't stand Raising Arizona. Their movies just always strike me as "look how artistic we can be." I'm all in on ars gratia artis, but it should still mean something.

100% agreed with style over substance. I really like Josh Brolin and he was the best part of it for me, but I really hated how they intentionally avoided showing how his demise came to be.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2022, 06:50:09 AM »
Tried to watch Bullet Train last night. Couldn’t do it. Awful.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2022, 07:28:29 AM »
I watched Napoleon Dynamite again last night.  Mildly amusing, and I know why I liked it the first time, but it's not a "multiple viewing" movie, IMO.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2022, 10:50:43 AM »
Ace in the Hole (1951) - A mean, cynical movie that I can see why it turned some audiences away but I feel most of the movie has aged fantastically. Kirk Douglas plays a down on his luck newspaper reporter who decides to use a tragedy to his advantage to revitalize his career. He succeeds in turning the situation into a media circus that quickly spirals out of control. It does get a bit heavy handed with the melodrama at the end like a lot of movies at the time are guilty of but it didn't detract from the movie too much for me. With the way Social media has made it so much easier to follow specific news stories and the abundance of clickbait as a whole I feel like it keeps this movie from feeling TOO dated mostly.

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II (1993) - Another solid entry in this era of Godzilla movies. Features a lot of monster action (usually you're lucky if the Gmans ass shows up before the 30 minute mark) and a bonus monster in Rodan that I wasn't expecting to see. My favorite of this era so far is still Godzilla vs King Ghidora but this one was a lot of fun.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2022, 10:00:00 PM »
Goncharov (1973) directed by Martin Scorsese

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2022, 08:45:56 PM »
Blow Out (1981)

I'm not a huge Brian de Palma fan. I dig a lot of his movies, but even then I often come away thinking they could have been better. I really dig political thrillers, though, and here we are. Could have been done better. The story was excellent, and it was told pretty well. It was somewhat complex, but you could always catch up to it, and some of the twists were great. Travolta wouldn't have been my first choice, though. Even when he does well, and he does here, he still sounds like Vinnie Barbarino, and it's just impossible to un-hear that. He was honestly a good pick for what De Palma was looking for, you believed him in the part, but he's just got a built-in flaw for me.

For my money it was really John Lithgow who stole the show. He doesn't come in until halfway through the movie, but when he does he completely turns everything around by casually explaining to the conspirators that he's running a completely different operation than the one they'd all agreed on. To pull off his wildcat operation he has to commit numerous other crimes, including a string of rather gruesome prostitute murders. Lithgow's character did all of this with a real workmanlike and dispassionate manner. For him it was always just political business. That made it all the more creepy, and he did it very well.

I'm always intrigued by what offscreen characters are thinking. What are they doing. What will they do. How do they perceive things. Only one of the original conspirators is shown, but it's more than enough to tell you who they are. They're a bunch of wealthy politicians and political backers who were wanting to ratfuck another candidate. The extent to which Lithgow went rogue on them is just extraordinary, and must have been absolutely terrifying from their vantage point. They hatch a plan to blackmail somebody and the next thing they know their man is running around ice-picking prostitutes on their behalf for a plan they disapproved of. This sort of thing just cracks me up, and Lithgow calmly reporting on where they are in his plan in that workmanlike manner was wonderful.

In a way I really like the ending. I'm just fine with endings where the badguys win. I don't need everything neatly sewn up, and sometimes reverting to status quo ante carries with it a pretty good impact. You expect the hero to win for two hours and when he loses it's a bit of a shock. At the same time, the final scene in the film kind of wrecks the character Travolta had actually done a great job with. It was a honestly a throwaway scene that really screwed things up, I think. Like turning a great story into a bad joke at the end. Quite unfortunate. Perhaps there's a hidden meaning I'm not seeing, that happens a lot with me, but there was a far more obvious approach that would have been wonderful. That final scene kept it from being 4* move for me.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 09:01:35 PM by El Barto »
E.F. Benson

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2022, 02:21:53 PM »
Ace in the Hole (1951) - A mean, cynical movie that I can see why it turned some audiences away but I feel most of the movie has aged fantastically. Kirk Douglas plays a down on his luck newspaper reporter who decides to use a tragedy to his advantage to revitalize his career. He succeeds in turning the situation into a media circus that quickly spirals out of control. It does get a bit heavy handed with the melodrama at the end like a lot of movies at the time are guilty of but it didn't detract from the movie too much for me. With the way Social media has made it so much easier to follow specific news stories and the abundance of clickbait as a whole I feel like it keeps this movie from feeling TOO dated mostly.
I watched this last year.  Good film.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2022, 07:15:58 AM »
I watched Bones and All the other night.
A cannibal road trip love story. Heck of a combo.
6.5/10
Lead actress didn’t impress me. Everybody seemed to be giving their all and she was just there.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2022, 03:05:44 AM »
The Banshees of Inisherin.

Visually stunning movie about a suddenly broken friendship between two quirky islanders in last century's Ireland, during the civil war. I saw it described as a "tragicomedy" and while there's some lightness here and there, things escalate quickly.

Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are the protagonists and while I think one of them went too far (keeping vague to avoid spoiler), the movie was a very welcomed and great breath of fresh air. Highly reccomended, it also makes me want to visit Ireland (I always liked Ireland, but I have other priorities for my travels, but one day I'd definitively like to see it).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2022, 06:13:21 AM »
The Banshees of Inisherin.

Visually stunning movie about a suddenly broken friendship between two quirky islanders in last century's Ireland, during the civil war. I saw it described as a "tragicomedy" and while there's some lightness here and there, things escalate quickly.

Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are the protagonists and while I think one of them went too far (keeping vague to avoid spoiler), the movie was a very welcomed and great breath of fresh air. Highly reccomended, it also makes me want to visit Ireland (I always liked Ireland, but I have other priorities for my travels, but one day I'd definitively like to see it).

Watched this Thursday night. One of my favorite movies of this year.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2022, 07:00:46 AM »
I need to revisit The Meaning of Life as well.  I haven't seen that since the 90s, but I know I thought it was funny.

A Fish Called Wanda is amazing.  Kevin Kline gives one of the all-time comedic performances.
both of them are great yes, seriously (granted I'm a fan of John Cleese as well as Monty Python but)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2022, 10:23:17 AM »
Everything, Everywhere, All At Once

Wow!  Those who said it practically defies description were right.  Those who said you should just watch it and keep an open mind were right.  Those who said it was amazing and you'd be glad you saw it were right.  It was all these things.  It was everything, everywhere, all at once.  Wow!

Five bagels out of five.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2022, 02:07:56 PM »
Mercy Christmas (2017) - Fun low budget comedy/horror film. Lonely office worker Michael Brisket gets invited to a co-workers house for Christmas Dinner only to find out he's whats on the menu. The acting isn't the best but enough of the gags worked for me to forgive it. The budget or lack there of also REALLY shows at times. Currently streaming on Prime and Tubi

Adult Swims Yule Log A.K.A The fireplace (2022) - A surprise horror/Comedy disguised as a yule log video. Such a weird and creative thing to be dumped on tv though I suppose that's part of the joke. If you're not a fan of the Adult Swim kind of humor maybe skip this one but if you're up for some creative weirdness it's a fun ride. Currently streaming on HBO Max.....until it becomes a tax write off anyway.

The Night Comes for Us (2018) - Indonesian action film starring some of the actors from The Raid: Redemption. Plot is something that's been done a hundred times. Professional killer has a crises of conscious on a job and everything falls apart from there. The fight choreography while not as intricate as The Raid movies is still bone crunching and brutal with plenty of the red stuff flying around. Currently Streaming on Netflix.

Don't Open Till Christmas (1984) - An interesting slasher from 1984 but mainly from a behind the scenes standpoint. The plot is nearly nonexistent due to a troubled production that went through 4 different directors. One of which was also the star Edward Purdom who walked off the set never to return leaving them to somehow assemble the rest of the film. If you like bad horror movies give this one a watch but don't expect it to make much sense. Currently streaming on Shudder and Tubi.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2022, 03:19:18 PM »
Black Adam. Blah blah blah ancient kingdom, hero, fights, CGI effects, same old same old. Lost interested halfway through and endured until the end out of stubborness.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2022, 09:33:42 AM »
Watched the FX A Christmas Story with Guy Pearce this week, watched it for the first time last Christmas. Enjoyed it almost as much this time around. I was consciously aware of the things that bothered me on the first viewing, but they seemed minor or insignificant this time, particularly the pacing. The scenes that I thought were too slow and drawn out the first time didn't feel that way now. Maybe because I knew where it all was going. It's not going to be the standard by which I judge all film versions of A Christmas Carol - that honor still goes with the 1984 film with George C. Scott. But this is a solid, entertaining, powerful film I may make in to an annual tradition.

I remember seeing LA Confidential in the theater, and walking out thinking I need to learn and remember the names of the guys who played Exley and Bud White, as I believed those two could have a solid future.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2022, 12:19:46 PM »
Watched the FX A Christmas Story with Guy Pearce this week, watched it for the first time last Christmas. Enjoyed it almost as much this time around. I was consciously aware of the things that bothered me on the first viewing, but they seemed minor or insignificant this time, particularly the pacing. The scenes that I thought were too slow and drawn out the first time didn't feel that way now. Maybe because I knew where it all was going. It's not going to be the standard by which I judge all film versions of A Christmas Carol - that honor still goes with the 1984 film with George C. Scott. But this is a solid, entertaining, powerful film I may make in to an annual tradition.

I remember seeing LA Confidential in the theater, and walking out thinking I need to learn and remember the names of the guys who played Exley and Bud White, as I believed those two could have a solid future.

I know I had told this story before, but I came out of that film (which I saw in the theater) thinking that Pearce would be the big star of the two because of his acting ability, not Crowe, but I was way wrong.  Granted, Crowe was the much bigger star, but no way will anyone convince me that he was ever a better actor than Pearce, who is awesome every time I see him in anything.  It's crazy to think that Crowe has three AA nominations for acting and one win, while Pearce has zero.  Such is the life of flying under the radar.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2022, 08:30:59 PM »
I know next to nothing about Guy Pearce, but I seem to recall he has many interests outside of acting, and I am just guessing he enjoys taking on roles that aren't set-up for blockbuster status. Pearce is a guy who, just knowing he is in a film, will increase my desire to watch it.

When LA Confidential came out on DVD I bought it right away, and on one of the bonus features when they showed some on-set cast interviews, I was stunned he and Crowe both had accents. And at some point in pre-production a higher-up exec said "So for our period drama set in 1950s LA we are featuring 2 guys from Australia?!"