Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 645813 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #4235 on: June 14, 2016, 01:42:12 PM »
Agreed.  Tyrion ruling Mereen was a bit of a disappointment.  I think they just didn't take any time to really focus on them like they did in season 2 with him ruling Kings Landing.  There was soo much awesome dialogue with Varys and Tyrion in season 2 and we just get a couple scenes this season and the rest just seemed "meh".  But to be fair, the book storyline in Mereen had been very "meh" and the show tried to change it up to gain more appeal for it (specifically with placing Tyrion and Varys there and killing Barristan) and just kind of failed because they weren't able to make a good story out of their own changes. 

I do think this season has made up for it with the North and Riverland storylines.  Those have been awesome storylines this season.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4236 on: June 14, 2016, 01:47:41 PM »
Agreed.  Tyrion ruling Mereen was a bit of a disappointment.  I think they just didn't take any time to really focus on them like they did in season 2 with him ruling Kings Landing.  There was soo much awesome dialogue with Varys and Tyrion in season 2 and we just get a couple scenes this season and the rest just seemed "meh".  But to be fair, the book storyline in Mereen had been very "meh" and the show tried to change it up to gain more appeal for it (specifically with placing Tyrion and Varys there and killing Barristan) and just kind of failed because they weren't able to make a good story out of their own changes. 

I do think this season has made up for it with the North and Riverland storylines.  Those have been awesome storylines this season.

I'm not a book reader but I have heard the conversation of how Mereen and Dany are just kind of 'there' so to speak and not much else. It did feel like in the show they were never confident with a direction to take....just kind of winged it a bit and personally I don't think it turned out to hot. But, all the other aspects and storylines have been very good IMO.....save Arya's of which I think it was just good enough to get by but think they missed an opportunity to make it really good.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4237 on: June 14, 2016, 02:04:10 PM »
I admit I kinda liked Arya cutting the candle out moment, but otherwise I call absolute bullshit on Arya surviving one slashing gut wound and two stabbing gut wounds (one with a knife twist) from an assassin more experienced than her, wandering through the streets after that and waiting for the play to end until Lady Crane came over. And I assume Waif searched for Arya for at least a few weeks, because there's no way she would've been able to jump and run like that if it was only a few days or so.

I have reservations about the Arya arc too, but you're depending on linear storytelling here (i.e. it happens in the order it's shown, one after the other), and that's simply not required at all - for all we know, Arya plopped into the corner behind the stage while the Cersei actress was finishing the scene. It makes the show far more interesting and better-paced to leave that possible than to just go A to B to C every single time.

And I think you're right about weeks passing. Time compression is incredible this season in every other arc.

Overall, I find it quite disappointing there was no storytelling 'fuckery' with this at all. She legit was an idiot walking around throwing money at dudes and not looking out for the waif... but she's a great fighter and has discovered she wants to stay a Stark! Too bad that won't matter when she dies because she wanted soup or something. :facepalm:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4238 on: June 14, 2016, 02:10:39 PM »
Overall, I find it quite disappointing there was no storytelling 'fuckery' with this at all. She legit was an idiot walking around throwing money at dudes and not looking out for the waif... but she's a great fighter and has discovered she wants to stay a Stark! Too bad that won't matter when she dies because she wanted soup or something. :facepalm:

Yea, the thoughts and ideas in this thread alone were way more interesting and better storytelling than what we actually got which was the obvious plot, but so bland and uncreative, plus as you say, made little sense in terms of how she acted. 

Speaking on predictability.

Battle of Blackwater... looked like Stannis was about to win but then a surprise army of Lannisters and Tyrells show up at the end to win it for the Lannisters.

Battle at the Wall... looked like the wildings were about to win but then a surprise army of Stannis show up at the end to win it for the Nights Watch.

Battle for Winterfell... looks like Jon shouldn't be winning this, but then will a "surprise" army of the Vale show up at the end to win it?  Seems way to predictable and would honestly be a poor ending since we've seen it already.  This time I think the "surprise army" part was more out in the open than the last two as well.  I think everyone expects the Vale to show up where as people weren't necessarily expecting the others in the past.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4239 on: June 14, 2016, 02:22:02 PM »
I dunno, I've enjoyed Tyrion and Varys in Mehreen, there were several memorable interactions with Tyrion's don't eat the help, bringing another red woman, etc.. I've enjoyed them all. It was different than King's landing and trying to bring some life in Greyworm and Missandae. I will agree that the joke scene with the three was kinda not needed, even though I liked and had no issues, I think it hurt the pacing of the episode.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4240 on: June 14, 2016, 04:43:53 PM »
Speaking on predictability.

Battle of Blackwater... looked like Stannis was about to win but then a surprise army of Lannisters and Tyrells show up at the end to win it for the Lannisters.

Battle at the Wall... looked like the wildings were about to win but then a surprise army of Stannis show up at the end to win it for the Nights Watch.

Battle for Winterfell... looks like Jon shouldn't be winning this, but then will a "surprise" army of the Vale show up at the end to win it?  Seems way to predictable and would honestly be a poor ending since we've seen it already.  This time I think the "surprise army" part was more out in the open than the last two as well.  I think everyone expects the Vale to show up where as people weren't necessarily expecting the others in the past.

I think your assessment is right. Also, the other commonality was Stannis' desperation arc, so now that he's out of the picture (at least with an army anyway - I still don't believe he's dead!), it would make sense to go for something different... like the Vale army showing up to help crush the Wildlings instead of helping.

Since we keep getting a lot of travel happening fast, there's still a Tyrell army around, and Jaime's gonna be bored holding that new castle... who knows what kind of stunt will be pulled.

I was sorta counting on the Walkers getting through by now and being the 'surprise army' that destroys Bastardbowl, but it's not playing that way at all - would be too fast.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4241 on: June 14, 2016, 05:28:21 PM »
Great episode!

Haven't read the books so I don't know where we are in the story overall but can't the surprise be White Walkers or is that to early in the story?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4242 on: June 14, 2016, 05:52:24 PM »
You two are forgetting there is still a Wall separating the White Walkers from Westeros!  I personally think we see them reaching the wall and maybe getting past it in the last episode.

The battle of winterfell has not happened in the books so no one knows how it will end and I guess that means you can't count out the Whites yet... but my opinion is above on them.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4243 on: June 14, 2016, 06:18:56 PM »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4244 on: June 14, 2016, 08:15:01 PM »

There is a defense to this. They did make it a point to continually show the knife that the Waif was using....it was maybe three inches long. Not exactly a spear or like the daggar that Ramsay used. Also, Arya was healing for longer than a day....it wasn't clear how long but it'd certainly was longer than a day....more likely a week or two from stab wounds inflicted by a very tiny knife, not a sword.

My only argument is the Waif was supposed to be some sort of awesome assassin and she used a freaking butter knife to the gut....rather than just slitting Arya's throat and being done with it.

As far as the assumption that the Waif was 'superior' to Arya....it could be argued that Arya tanked her training with the Waif to build up the Waif's confidence when concerning her dominance over Arya just for the exact reason that she knew eventually she'd be fighting her to the death.

As much as I thought the whole Arya and God of Death....I am a 'girl' storyline was a tad boring....I don't think her injuries were anywhere near what the other two in this Meme sustained.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4245 on: June 14, 2016, 09:11:51 PM »
I don't think there is a defense to it, unless you speculate too much. I'd recommend you to watch the stabbing scene again.

Arya was stabbed, fell off a bridge and hid backstage of that theater. If so much time passed, then she would have bled out and died. Which means Lady Crane found her not very long after she got stabbed. After Lady Crane found her, she stitched Arya and Arya slept the night there. One day. She didn't sleep for a week or two. She was still in a bad condition when the Waif came for her.

The Waif beat her in every instance. To argue that Arya took a beat intentionally just to build up the Waif's confidence is to speculate too much, imo. She never fought the Waif while being seriously injured. If Arya really was so sure she would beat the Waif, then I think she would be more confident and relaxed.

But well, people can believe what they want. :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 09:17:22 PM by ChuckSteak »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4246 on: June 14, 2016, 09:20:37 PM »
I watched episode 9 & 10 of season 4 at the IMAX theater when they did that limited run deal, I really wish they would do it again.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4247 on: June 15, 2016, 05:13:32 AM »
I watched episode 9 & 10 of season 4 at the IMAX theater when they did that limited run deal, I really wish they would do it again.

That would be sweet. I wanted to do that the first time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4248 on: June 15, 2016, 06:54:55 AM »
We did that too.  It was awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4249 on: June 15, 2016, 07:11:13 AM »
I'm late to the party again, just got caught up. Another good episode, but for the last couple it feels like they are trying almost too hard to push along the other elements of story to catch up with the events in the North.

Loved the Hound's scenes again, and happy to see Beric and Thoros back. I was ok with how Arya's story turned out, but admittedly some of the theories being banded about would have been a bit more interesting. I don't think we needed to see a big fight scene between her and The Waif - job done and now it's back to Winterfell. I just wonder if she will arrive in time for Jon Snow's attack?

I liked the interaction between Brienne and Jaime. It adds another dimension, I think. She obviously feels something for him, but it doesn't seem like it's reciprocated to the same extent.

One intriguing point was the whispering between Qyburn and Cersei about "rumours". I wonder if they have heard if Varys may be on his way back into town, through the "little birds" network? If so, I fear for Varys' safety!  :o

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4250 on: June 15, 2016, 07:15:52 AM »
One intriguing point was the whispering between Qyburn and Cersei about "rumours". I wonder if they have heard if Varys may be on his way back into town, through the "little birds" network? If so, I fear for Varys' safety!  :o

I definitely feel that scene earlier this season with Qyburn and him taking voer the little birds network will be important.  I think Varys still controls them.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4251 on: June 15, 2016, 07:42:04 AM »
I don't think we needed to see a big fight scene between her and The Waif - job done and now it's back to Winterfell. I just wonder if she will arrive in time for Jon Snow's attack?

I realize we're seeing more and more time compression on the show, but that'd be a bit much, don't you think? She's all the way over in Braavos!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4252 on: June 15, 2016, 07:47:55 AM »

I think the whispers had everything to do with Qyburn verifying that there is Wild Fire stored everywhere in the city, below....all over. And Cersi is going to burn it all down.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4253 on: June 15, 2016, 08:02:15 AM »
I realize we're seeing more and more time compression on the show, but that'd be a bit much, don't you think? She's all the way over in Braavos!

She has a week to get there, or two at the most. How far can it be?  ;) Yeah, you're probably right though - it would be a little bit jarring to see her suddenly pop up in time for the battle. There is probably some storyline to be told about her journey back home anyway. I wonder if she will meet up with the Hound again?

I think the whispers had everything to do with Qyburn verifying that there is Wild Fire stored everywhere in the city, below....all over. And Cersi is going to burn it all down.

Well, she does seem to be increasingly desperate, and now that the trial by combat option has gone, there's every chance that her regular trial could end badly for her.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:13:19 AM by Logain Ablar »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4254 on: June 15, 2016, 08:11:51 AM »
I had no problem whatsoever with the Arya thing. I mean, it's pretty unfair to compare her with other stabbed folks given the has literally gone to hell and back during her time at Braavos. She's probably stronger than most characters from the show by now, and that includes physical endurance.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4255 on: June 15, 2016, 08:23:29 AM »

In the books I know Cersei burns down the Tower of the Hand, maybe she does something similar or, if not the whole King's Landing, at least the Sept of Baelor.

This opens up important possibilities... what if she accidentally burns down Tommen as well? what if Jaimie is back and has to stop once again someone from destroying the city with wildfire and kills her? I remember reading about the prophecy about her three (crowned) (dead) sons and also that she should watch out a younger brother, she and Jaimie are twins but Jaimie is younger as well.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4256 on: June 15, 2016, 08:52:50 AM »
Well, she does seem to be increasingly desperate, and now that the trial by combat option has gone, there's every chance that her regular trial could end badly for her.

In the books I know Cersei burns down the Tower of the Hand, maybe she does something similar or, if not the whole King's Landing, at least the Sept of Baelor.

This opens up important possibilities... what if she accidentally burns down Tommen as well? what if Jaimie is back and has to stop once again someone from destroying the city with wildfire and kills her? I remember reading about the prophecy about her three (crowned) (dead) sons and also that she should watch out a younger brother, she and Jaimie are twins but Jaimie is younger as well.

I think the fact that her character has specifically mentioned 'burning cities to ashes' countless times throughout the 6 seasons has been a 'long' foreshadowing play by the writers. Always in reference to 'losing' her kids....which....it's safe to say that even if Tommen doesn't physically 'die' per say, she has definitely 'lost' him as far as she is concerned, especially since he basically convicted her himself by eliminating the trial by combat.

I think they've set it up a very interesting potential of Jamie being 'forced' to kill Cersi either to stop her from burning the city down to do the exact same thing he did before with the mad king, or after/during the city burning down and him knowing they'll die together.

I had no problem whatsoever with the Arya thing. I mean, it's pretty unfair to compare her with other stabbed folks given the has literally gone to hell and back during her time at Braavos. She's probably stronger than most characters from the show by now, and that includes physical endurance.

Yeah....I don't think those stab wounds were as brutal as other wounds we've seen. I was asked to watch that scene again to prove they were brutal. I don't think they were....Arya headbutts and escapes the Waif after a couple stabs from a knife that was comically tiny. Take a look at that knife. The damage would  have been minimal.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4257 on: June 15, 2016, 09:09:47 AM »
She did twist the knife, thought that was the real damaging part.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4258 on: June 15, 2016, 09:21:40 AM »
Why doesn't Cersei just go with the trial? It's only adultery. What could they do to her? Unless she's worried the incest angle will show up as well

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4259 on: June 15, 2016, 09:30:07 AM »
Why doesn't Cersei just go with the trial? It's only adultery. What could they do to her? Unless she's worried the incest angle will show up as well

I think that's probably it. If the incest comes to light, then Joffrey and Tommen's right to the throne is questionable. The Lannisters stand to lose a lot.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4260 on: June 15, 2016, 10:09:56 AM »
Caught up now. So I guess Tommen's ruling pretty much eliminates the possibility of Cleganebowl?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4261 on: June 15, 2016, 10:26:27 AM »
I rewatched the episode yesterday and enjoyed it a lot more this second time, in fact initially didn't think Riverrun was properly paced and felt too long, but on second viewing thought it was great even though we don't see Blackfish's fate I think it was not bad. Arya's chase was also much better but still think it could've been handled differently. I had no issue with the outcome, just the way it was done. You become caught up in the semantics of the chase rather than the actual chase itself. Still it was a rather enjoyable episode.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4262 on: June 15, 2016, 12:26:02 PM »
Caught up now. So I guess Tommen's ruling pretty much eliminates the possibility of Cleganebowl?
Pretty much. Maybe we can hope for it in the books

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4263 on: June 15, 2016, 12:37:11 PM »
Maybe we can hope that the books are going to be completed period.  ;)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4264 on: June 15, 2016, 12:44:40 PM »

I think that's probably it. If the incest comes to light, then Joffrey and Tommen's right to the throne is questionable. The Lannisters stand to lose a lot.

But wouldn't the faith loose a lot to if Tommen were not to be king anymore, who would be king if they ruled him as a bastard?  Not sure how that would play out.  Where's Gendry?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4265 on: June 15, 2016, 12:49:26 PM »
Made this meme  ;D

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4266 on: June 15, 2016, 12:53:49 PM »

But wouldn't the faith loose a lot to if Tommen were not to be king anymore, who would be king if they ruled him as a bastard?  Not sure how that would play out.  Where's Gendry?

I just saw him rowing in New York Harbor this morning.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4267 on: June 15, 2016, 12:54:41 PM »
Made this meme  ;D

What's a Cleganbowl?  ;)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4268 on: June 15, 2016, 01:05:15 PM »