Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 647509 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3535 on: May 03, 2016, 06:46:06 AM »
I can't for the life of me understand why they let Thorne and Olly go, I thought they would have executed them right away or imprisoned them..
Er, they did imprison them.
I feel though that the only reason the writers didn't choose to execute them was to saved them for Jon to deal with, sounds more fun although the characters couldn't know that of course.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3536 on: May 03, 2016, 06:58:27 AM »
I can't for the life of me understand why they let Thorne and Olly go, I thought they would have executed them right away or imprisoned them..
I feel though that the only reason the writers didn't choose to execute them was to saved them for Jon to deal with, sounds more fun although the characters couldn't know that of course.

I can't wait to see their faces when they see Jon.  :xbones

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3537 on: May 03, 2016, 07:01:43 AM »

While Jon is capable of executing, from his meeting with Mance and Stannis, he would choose to listen first.  I don't think it's totally odd for the wildlings under respect for Jon to hold them before an immediate execution.  It also adds dramatic effect for the story, I am curious to see how Jon reacts to them.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #3538 on: May 03, 2016, 07:04:41 AM »
Roose's death was pretty abrupt. You can't say it came out of no where since, let's face it, it's been obvious in both show and books for a long time that Ramsay offing Roose at some point was a highly likely possibility. But it did feel a tad on the rushed side for it to happen so suddenly. I thought Roose would probably die at some point in the middle of this season (Ramsay himself will be taken down at the end of it), and during their conversation I wondered if it might happen this episode... but did not think it could happen right there and then until it happened (or actually just before it when I realised it could be similar to Roose stabbing Robb Stark).

I was also tempted to think "Wow, Roose just let Ramsay get close enough to stab him and there were no guards around, really? Guess we just have to accept it is that simple since the plot required Roose to die"... but thinking about it, there have been multiple scenes of Roose and Ramsay talking alone or essentially alone, no different to this one. If Ramsay had went after Roose in one of those moments it would have just come down to who got the better of who physically. So if Ramsay surprises Roose with a knife at dinner then it's been fairly well established that he could kill him just that simply. As for the witnesses, I assume Ramsay may have worked out an understanding with the new Lord Karstark, and you can see the fact he is just so bold about it helps intimidate the maester into just accepting it. And for the rest of the Bolton men at Winterfell, I think it's been established well enough that Ramsay is scary enough and perhaps even has enough loyalty (having led the Bolton army etc.) that they'll follow him after Roose's death and won't question him too much on it.

Then there's the question of whether Roose shouldn't have seen it coming and been a bit more careful than usual at this particular moment, since his new son had just been born. Perhaps, but actually I think the show established very well why he didn't, in the scene in Season 5 where Roose tells Ramsay about his birth. He said he was going to throw him in the river as a baby, "But then I looked at you and I saw then what I see now. You are my son." Not exactly much of a soft spot - not killing your own son - but I think that is basically the limit of the great pragmatist Roose Bolton's sentimentality, and it was ultimately his weakness because I think that attitude lasted until the end. He wouldn't kill his son when he was an inconvenient bastard baby, he wouldn't kill him when he was a psychopathic teen torturing people in the basement of the Dreadfort, he wouldn't kill him when his reputation was a liability to his own hold on the North, and he wouldn't kill him even when he was a threat to his new family and even himself.

There's a quite interesting part in the books only, where Roose tells Reek/Theon pretty matter-of-factly that he expects Ramsay will probably kill his new future son, and he doesn't really seem to care. He even talks quite unemotionally about the fact he expects to be dead soon too, so maybe he suspects Ramsay might kill him too. That's not in the show, but I think it still holds true to an extent. He obviously wants to instruct Ramsay to be a better heir and ruler, telling him not to be the "mad dog", and he used his position of the one person with authority over Ramsay to put him in his place on occasion (including with the threat of a new trueborn Bolton). He surely would have wanted Ramsay not to kill him (not just since, you know, he'd be dead, but since it would be a poor move strategically for House Bolton), but I think he basically knew his position - he wasn't going to kill Ramsay, so it was basically up to whether Ramsay listened to his advice and learned, or whether Ramsay stopped listening to him and turned on him. That was the one vulnerability he left himself open to, so obviously that's exactly what got him killed.

Apologies for the long post (once again), but with everything else going on in the show it still feels worthwhile to devote a bit of discussion to the exit of a great character (and actor) from the show.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3539 on: May 03, 2016, 07:23:06 AM »
Nice write up RuRo, the dynamic between the two is/was very interesting.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3540 on: May 03, 2016, 10:18:57 AM »

I thought the guy said something like "take them to the south where they belong" so I thought they're just throwing them out south of the wall, expelling them from the Watch.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3541 on: May 03, 2016, 10:27:49 AM »

I thought the guy said something like "take them to the south where they belong" so I thought they're just throwing them out south of the wall, expelling them from the Watch.

He says to put them in the cells where they belong.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3542 on: May 03, 2016, 10:33:45 AM »
Whoops! My bad.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3543 on: May 03, 2016, 10:43:23 AM »
And Evermind, it's not a total spoiler but the books did not in any way that I know, confirm who killed Balon.  Euron arrives shortly after his death so it always seemed likely he was involved and the faceless man theory was just that, a theory, as far as I knew (and a way to explain how he died without Euron directly being there).  Feel free to prove me wrong though.

I don't have any quotes or proofs at hand, so of course you're free to disagree with my reasonings here. Anyway, my opinion on this is, well, GRRM is known as a subtle writer, and he surely loves not to spell some events outright but only leave some subtle hints for how the events might've played out. I'm quite sure this particular event (how exactly did Balon die) will never be resolved in the books, and I've found all the textual proofs the Faceless-Man-hired-by-Euron theory presented to be more than plausible and very convincing, so having nothing better than that, it's my official version of how Balon died. As I said, as far as I'm concerned, this is pretty much a confirmed fact for me.

And also it wasn't a book spoiler for me since I don't believe this is how it went in the books (this standoff was kind of dramatic-on-a-heavily-cheesy-side, anyway), and even if it was, it wasn't that huge of a spoiler (I'm looking at you D&D, confirming that Stannis indeed burns Shireen in the books right in Behind the Scenes episode), because I didn't really care how Balon died anyway. The implications were obvious.

Something struck me when I was writing that Shireen-burning part though... does Davos not know about Stannis and Selyse and Shireen and how they died? (especially that Mel was directly behind the Shireen burning) I mean, he asks Mel to resurrect Jon, whom he wasn't very loyal to in the first place, but I don't remember him ever asking Mel about the fate of the man he was most loyal to. Or about the girl he was so attached to. It seems he kind of moved on, which is a bit weird reaction I guess.

And if he doesn't know indeed and will find out in the future episodes... well I guess the shitstorm is incoming.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3544 on: May 03, 2016, 11:04:36 AM »
Evermind I think he knows everything except how Shireen died. He doesn't ask Melisandre to resurrect Stannis cause he knows they would need his dead body to do so.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3545 on: May 03, 2016, 11:13:35 AM »
Evermind I think he knows everything except how Shireen died. He doesn't ask Melisandre to resurrect Stannis cause he knows they would need his dead body to do so.

I don't remember the Shireen-burning-episode well, but from what I remember the way Stannis sent Davos away I think it was kind of obvious to him what was about to happen. Might be wrong on that count though.

And well, Stannis would've had an upper hand if the men from his army didn't desert - which they did because of that Shireen event. So either they explained to Davos how Stannis - who is one of the best military commanders in Westeros - managed to lose a battle in the open field while outnumbering his enemy for good; or they should've explained to Davos why the men deserted (bought by Boltons? Tired of trudging in the snow?), leaving Stannis in such a precarious position. And even then (taking into the account the fact they had no horses except one Mel rode), he could've sent Shireen with Mel back to the wall then, couldn't he?

Reflecting on the last two episodes, I just found it weird Davos didn't try to find out the details about what has happened with the people who he was so loyal to, but instead rushed to defend Jon's body almost instantly.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3546 on: May 03, 2016, 11:18:48 AM »
Reflecting on the last two episodes, I just found it weird Davos didn't try to find out the details about what has happened with the people who he was so loyal to, but instead rushed to defend Jon's body almost instantly.

I think he just had a lot on his mind regarding Jon Snow and being locked in a room where he didn't see a whole lot of ways to survive.  I hope this comes up though because we all know Davos would be very upset to know the truth of what happened.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3547 on: May 03, 2016, 11:21:01 AM »

I think he just had a lot on his mind regarding Jon Snow and being locked in a room where he didn't see a whole lot of ways to survive.  I hope this comes up though because we all know Davos would be very upset to know the truth of what happened.

Yeah, I think that's what happened too. I too hope they address this point. I kind of fear what Davos will do if he learns the truth about Shireen's death.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #3548 on: May 03, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »
And Evermind, it's not a total spoiler but the books did not in any way that I know, confirm who killed Balon.  Euron arrives shortly after his death so it always seemed likely he was involved and the faceless man theory was just that, a theory, as far as I knew (and a way to explain how he died without Euron directly being there).  Feel free to prove me wrong though.

I don't have any quotes or proofs at hand, so of course you're free to disagree with my reasonings here. Anyway, my opinion on this is, well, GRRM is known as a subtle writer, and he surely loves not to spell some events outright but only leave some subtle hints for how the events might've played out. I'm quite sure this particular event (how exactly did Balon die) will never be resolved in the books, and I've found all the textual proofs the Faceless-Man-hired-by-Euron theory presented to be more than plausible and very convincing, so having nothing better than that, it's my official version of how Balon died. As I said, as far as I'm concerned, this is pretty much a confirmed fact for me.

"I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings."
From the Ghost of High Heart, who saw visions that linked to several other events such as Renly and Joffrey's deaths.

For anyone curious that's what I would say is the crucial piece of evidence from the book that both implicates Euron in Balon's death (Euron is known as Crow's Eye and associated with crows), and suggests the Faceless Man connection. It's very plausible Euron would have been able to hire a Faceless Man and it makes sense as a way he could have killed Balon and then arrived at Pyke the next day. The only other semi-plausible theory I've seen is that he did it by literally controlling the winds to blow away the bridge (there are suggetsions Euron could have the capability to do this), but the Faceless Man theory is the most well accepted one. It is not "confirmed" in the books, it's a very convincing theory with solid evidence and it is probably the best explanation we will get for Balon's death in the books, but imo it's misleading to tell people it's confirmed in the books when it is just solid theorising (even if it is probably true).

Davos' current knowledge status I think is that he knows Shireen is dead (but doesn't know exactly how), and even though Melisandre actually left before Stannis lost his battle and died I assume he must know / guess that Stannis lost the battle and is dead (though again, I don't think anyone knows exactly how Stannis died). I do hope they address the fact that Davos has still to find out and react to the fact that Melisandre killed Shireen. That is one of the things I think is missing from the show (and has been since at least Season 4) - more chances just to spend time with the characters and see how they react to all the events unfolding. Well, it is missing in the storylines where there's a lot going on - we always get a chance to see someone like Tyrion just hanging around when not much is going on for him. One of the drawbacks of having so many storylines and little screentime.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:56:59 AM by RuRoRul »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3549 on: May 03, 2016, 12:00:37 PM »

"I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings."
From the Ghost of High Heart, who saw visions that linked to several other events such as Renly and Joffrey's deaths.

For anyone curious that's what I would say is the crucial piece of evidence from the book that both implicates Euron in Balon's death (Euron is known as Crow's Eye and associated with crows), and suggests the Faceless Man connection. It's very plausible Euron would have been able to hire a Faceless Man and it makes sense as a way he could have killed Balon and then arrived at Pyke the next day. The only other semi-plausible theory I've seen is that he did it by literally controlling the winds to blow away the bridge (there are suggetsions Euron could have the capability to do this), but the Faceless Man theory is the most well accepted one. It is not "confirmed" in the books, it's a very convincing theory with solid evidence and it is probably the best explanation we will get for Balon's death in the books, but imo it's misleading to tell people it's confirmed in the books when it is just solid theorising (even if it is probably true).

Yeah, I meant my original message to say "it's confirmed in the books as far as I'm concerned". Sorry if I phrased it the wrong way.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3550 on: May 03, 2016, 12:03:04 PM »
Doesn't the title "Ser" mean someone is a knight? If so then why did Ser Davis say he's never been much of a fighter when he was stuck with the watchmen in that room?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3551 on: May 03, 2016, 12:06:24 PM »
Doesn't the title "Ser" mean someone is a knight? If so then why did Ser Davis say he's never been much of a fighter when he was stuck with the watchmen in that room?

He was knighted by Stannis, he was a smuggler not a fighter.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3552 on: May 03, 2016, 12:10:47 PM »
Yeah, people can be made knights for various reasons.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3553 on: May 03, 2016, 12:22:31 PM »
For reference on Davos and his knighthood:
During Robert's Rebellion, almost a year into the siege of Storm's End, Davos took it upon himself to run the Redwyne blockade to smuggle onions and other foodstuffs into the castle. The food allowed Stannis Baratheon's men to hold on until Eddard Stark arrived to break the siege. As a reward for his service, Stannis knighted him, giving him choice lands on Cape Wrath and allowing him to choose Seaworth as the name of his new house. However, Davos lost the first joint from each finger of his left hand, as payment for his past crimes. Davos found the ruling just, and agreed to the terms if Stannis would swing the blade himself.[4] He kept the bones of his joints in a pouch around his neck because he believed they were lucky, having bought a future for his family.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Davos_Seaworth

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3554 on: May 03, 2016, 12:35:14 PM »

He was knighted by Stannis, he was a smuggler not a fighter.

Why can't I stop reading that as, "he's a lover not a fighter."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3555 on: May 03, 2016, 02:48:31 PM »
Found this article, thought it was really interesting... so if Tommen were to die, and I think we all can agree that he likely will die given the prophecy, who is next in line to be king?

https://mashable.com/2016/05/03/game-thrones-heir/#u2v2nEZAQuqf

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #3556 on: May 03, 2016, 03:12:01 PM »
Found this article, thought it was really interesting... so if Tommen were to die, and I think we all can agree that he likely will die given the prophecy, who is next in line to be king?

https://mashable.com/2016/05/03/game-thrones-heir/#u2v2nEZAQuqf
Well realistically we know that legal claims are nice to have but that the winner will be whoever has the position and force to back up their claim.

But going by trying to work out thr official" heir should be there's a bit of a dilemma - Robert Baratheon's family (on paper) would obviously be extinguished, so you go back up the family tree to find another line. However (and I don't know much about it so can't be sure) I recall reading someone post about this subject recently and apparently there aren't really any examples in history of a conquering dynasty going extinct so quickly that you would need to go back in their family tree to before they were royal to find an heir. So even if someone was the Baratheon heir, its questionable whether that would make them the heir to the Iron Throne since the throne only belonged to the Baratheon's since Robert, so the Baratheon heir (if their claim went back several generations) would have a claim only through a family line that was never royal.

The alternative would obviously to be to go back to the family that held the throne before Robert which would obviously just make Danaerys the heir, but if they were attainted then that doesn't really make her the official heir.

By Westeros law and traditions, if Tommen died and there was to be a smooth and legally transition (rather than war), most likely there would be a Great Council and the lords of Westeros would try to come to a collective decision as to who should be king, as happened a couple of times in Targaryen history when there was no clear heir or competing claims.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3557 on: May 03, 2016, 03:17:04 PM »
Well that article goes through the lineage up the Baratheon line and the results are... Cersei, but not because she is the mother, through a roundabout way where many generations ago a Baratheon and Lannister married and the last remaining from that lineage is Tywin's children... and given their current scenarios, only Cersei could be the heir.  Just interesting to think about since as we all know, if Tommen were to die, there is more likely to be another 5 kings type of war than a peaceful handover to the legal heir.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3558 on: May 04, 2016, 12:22:41 PM »
Interesting article! It shows how, in the end, the idea of a king to rule an entire nation is pointless. Someone is the most important person in the country because he's born my someone who's born by someone who's born by someone who killed an important dude in an important battle or whatever.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3559 on: May 04, 2016, 12:26:26 PM »
Just for hoots and giggles... what if Cersei suddenly commits suicide at this point? (I know she won't, but let's assume that for a moment.) Will Tommen live in that case and what would that mean to the prophecy?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3560 on: May 04, 2016, 12:46:28 PM »
Just for hoots and giggles... what if Cersei suddenly commits suicide at this point? (I know she won't, but let's assume that for a moment.) Will Tommen live in that case and what would that mean to the prophecy?

That it was false? I'm not sure where you are going with this or if maybe the world course corrects itself and while she is hanging herself the ceiling breaks and she doesn't get hung.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3561 on: May 04, 2016, 12:56:42 PM »

That it was false? I'm not sure where you are going with this or if maybe the world course corrects itself and while she is hanging herself the ceiling breaks and she doesn't get hung.

I'm just providing some fun (for me) matters for discussion.

So well, if it was false, then was it false all along and Tommen won't die regardless of Cersei's actions? Or was it true until the exact moment of Cersei's suicide, and after that the prophecy becomes false? And would Joff and Myrcella die if Cersei committed suicide / died before they met their untimely end?

And if she's obsessed with the prophecy and she wants to save his son so much, to let him live, did it never occur to her that this could be the way? Because this seems the most obvious way to wriggle out of the prophecy for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3562 on: May 04, 2016, 01:17:56 PM »
But then how would she protect her children?! Round and round we go  :lol I guess at least before Myrcella's death she could always claim that it likely was a false prophecy, but now, it's getting harder to deny.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3563 on: May 04, 2016, 01:25:24 PM »
Does anyone else think this week's episode title, Oathbreaker, is about Jon Snow?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3564 on: May 04, 2016, 01:30:22 PM »
Does anyone else think this week's episode title, Oathbreaker, is about Jon Snow?

Well I think we for sure are going to get a good amount of Jon Snow, but he wouldn't exactly be an oathbreaker right?

That is also the name of the sword of Brienne so could mean something for her.

Possible show spoiler:
I'm reading things online that are saying we may get the Tower of Joy scene as soon as next episode  :omg: and I do wish I did not read that, but I don't know if it's a rumor or a leak

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3565 on: May 04, 2016, 01:31:41 PM »
Wasn't Oathbreaker a sword or something? or one of Jaimie's nicknames?

Jon Snow pledged allegiance to the Night's Watch until his death. He died. He's no longer bound to the Night's Watch. I believe by the end of the season he will fight Ramsay and retake Winterfell, and happy ending ruined by the inevitable advance of the White Walkers.

Also, what's up with Jon being the 998th Lord Commander? I always imagined that the 999th would have been Alister THorne or anyone with "White Walkers will hand my ass to me" written on his forehead, with the 1000th Lor Commander being the one that will emerge at the end of the story and will be the one in charge when the story ends.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 01:42:12 PM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3566 on: May 04, 2016, 01:34:35 PM »
Cram, it's not a rumor and neither it's a leak. It was in Episode 3 preview.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3567 on: May 04, 2016, 01:41:32 PM »
Cram, it's not a rumor and neither it's a leak. It was in Episode 3 preview.

Really? I missed it then, damn, so we are in for a treat then!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3568 on: May 04, 2016, 01:43:23 PM »

Well I think we for sure are going to get a good amount of Jon Snow, but he wouldn't exactly be an oathbreaker right?

Possible show spoiler:
I'm reading things online that are saying we may get the Tower of Joy scene as soon as next episode  :omg: and I do wish I did not read that, but I don't know if it's a rumor or a leak

Brienne's sword was Oathkeeper.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3569 on: May 04, 2016, 01:46:37 PM »

Possible show spoiler:

Brienne's sword was Oathkeeper.

:lol so close and yet so wrong