Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 645849 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #2170 on: April 11, 2015, 12:40:39 PM »
So, all kidding aside...  Who is going to wind up on the iron throne at the end?    Any speculation and why that person?

Possible Spoiler!!!

There's a theory circulating on the internet that Jon Snow is really the son of the mad king's son and Ned Stark's sister. He is Ice. Daenerys is Fire. A Song of Ice and Fire...

They like to "keep it in the family" so to speak. Jon sits on the Iron Throne with Daenerys as his queen.

Actually what I heard is that Jon Snow IS the song of ice and fire, since he comes from both. 

I have one theory about the future of the iron throne, but I don't know how many are considering the details I'm thinking of specifically, so I will keep it to myself until proven right or wrong.

hmmmmm

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #2171 on: April 11, 2015, 02:54:53 PM »
Jon Snow and Dany living happily together while ruling from the Iron Throne is too "fairy tale-ish" for this series.

If anything Stannis will end up in it, because he's the one most people disregard in the show and in the TV-fandom.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2172 on: April 11, 2015, 02:56:53 PM »
So, all kidding aside...  Who is going to wind up on the iron throne at the end?    Any speculation and why that person?

Possible Spoiler!!!

There's a theory circulating on the internet that Jon Snow is really the son of the mad king's son and Ned Stark's sister. He is Ice. Daenerys is Fire. A Song of Ice and Fire...

They like to "keep it in the family" so to speak. Jon sits on the Iron Throne with Daenerys as his queen.

Actually what I heard is that Jon Snow IS the song of ice and fire, since he comes from both. 

I never thought of it that way. Very good point.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2173 on: April 11, 2015, 02:59:49 PM »
Jon Snow and Dany living happily together while ruling from the Iron Throne is too "fairy tale-ish" for this series.

If anything Stannis will end up in it, because he's the one most people disregard in the show and in the TV-fandom.

I could see it happening. It wouldn't bother me if it did.

I've got a feeling that Stannis and the Red Lady are going to be dragon chow before it's all over with.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2174 on: April 11, 2015, 07:49:38 PM »

I agree with the first sentence. It's too much of a happy ending.  These stories have been full of intrigue, surprise, and indecency.  No way the ending is that obvious. Then again, that would be the ultimate irony. 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2175 on: April 12, 2015, 02:43:49 AM »
well, we´re in for a great ride, but I´m not going to sit up until 3.00 am to watch it. Catch you guys on the flipside!  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2176 on: April 12, 2015, 06:03:46 AM »
Holy leaks batman.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2177 on: April 12, 2015, 08:57:39 AM »
I'm actually surprise they didn't leak before today. The media has had the first 4 episodes for a few weeks now.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2178 on: April 12, 2015, 10:08:30 AM »
Let's not mention any specifics, people.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2179 on: April 12, 2015, 10:15:58 AM »
I am still a bit puzzled as to why we have gotten zero posters for season 5. We have the one with Tyrion and Drogon but that's just bad photoshop. I was expecting real ones by now.

As to the first four episodes, I'll talk about them individually once they've aired.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2180 on: April 12, 2015, 10:30:50 AM »
Let's not mention any specifics, people.

Oh boo.... apologies of course.   :blush

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #2181 on: April 12, 2015, 11:42:02 PM »
Solid season premiere. I'm looking forward for Arya's story the most, though

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2182 on: April 13, 2015, 06:13:00 AM »
Some of the changes from the books will be intriguing to see, to say the least.  Like Varys accompanying Tyrion.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2183 on: April 13, 2015, 07:50:35 AM »
Watch it be Bran who takes the throne and Jon will be the Hand. Solid premiere. I think this will be an awesome season

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2184 on: April 13, 2015, 07:57:02 AM »
Solid episode, lots of interesting things set in motion for this season. However stupid me thought it would be a good idea to catch up the episode by watching during lunchbreak....in my car.....on my phone. To constantly have to fiddle with brightness because of sunlight is a mood killer and the 5 inch screen dosen't help either. I'm just stupid!  :facepalm:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2185 on: April 13, 2015, 08:04:01 AM »
Some of the changes from the books will be intriguing to see, to say the least.  Like Varys accompanying Tyrion.

I like Varys' character so I am curious to see what they do with him. I always saw him as being more than meets the eye. There is definitely something about him that gives an heir of mystique and power so I really am curious to see where he ultimately ends up.  I feel like we're going to find out he's related to the Targaryens or something. 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2186 on: April 13, 2015, 08:05:26 AM »
I'm very interested to see what happens with this change. Also, the changes that are happening in Dorne.

Did anyone else catch the Bolton sigil on Winterfell during the opening credits? Salt to the wound of the Starks!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2187 on: April 13, 2015, 08:22:38 AM »
I'm very interested to see what happens with this change. Also, the changes that are happening in Dorne.

Did anyone else catch the Bolton sigil on Winterfell during the opening credits? Salt to the wound of the Starks!

Yup. Its also no longer smoking so I guess it means the Bolton's have officially taken over and its not a castle in ruins. (I think this was assumed but the intro confirmed it). 

I didn't think it was a great episode but a standard season opener to get the ball rolling on how this season will play out.  Mance Rayder dying was upsetting though, the actor and character had a lot to offer.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2188 on: April 13, 2015, 08:28:32 AM »

Yup. Its also no longer smoking so I guess it means the Bolton's have officially taken over and its not a castle in ruins. (I think this was assumed but the intro confirmed it). 

I didn't think it was a great episode but a standard season opener to get the ball rolling on how this season will play out.  Mance Rayder dying was upsetting though, the actor and character had a lot to offer.

He didn't resist like he did in the book.  I was actually surprised that GRRM almost turned him into a coward during his final moments when before that he exhibited much pride and strength.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2189 on: April 13, 2015, 09:25:41 AM »
Great episode. The last scene was the best. Very unsettling to watch someone burn to death, and it made for a powerful scene.

The shots of the giant gold harpy falling and sliding down the great pyramid of Meereen were amazing. Especially that first long shot. Complete big-budget-movie quality.

He didn't resist like he did in the book.  I was actually surprised that GRRM almost turned him into a coward during his final moments when before that he exhibited much pride and strength.

It's only realistic. Any proud and strong man will be a coward when his flesh starts to burn.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2190 on: April 13, 2015, 10:36:59 AM »

You've read ADWD till the end, right?

The episode was alright. The scenes on The Wall, especially with Mance were outstanding, I liked how they ended the episode with Jon Snow shooting the man. I also had a laugh at ever-so-subtle Melisandre's question to Jon. :lol

That scene with Loras was horrible though. I honestly can't remember whether he did anything in the show from S3 onward, other that, you know, banging that Olivar guy or whatever his name is.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2191 on: April 13, 2015, 10:42:46 AM »

Yeah.  There were definitely, well, extenuating circumstances.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2192 on: April 13, 2015, 11:11:39 AM »
Oh, and I miss the conversation Stannis and Jon had about the Others on top of the wall, which leads me to believe Jon won't have Sam read up on them either. I don't like when they ignore them too much. I get that they're supposed to be kept in the dark and mysterious, but they are what they are all there for, one would guess someone would be talking about it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2193 on: April 13, 2015, 12:07:47 PM »
Oh, and I miss the conversation Stannis and Jon had about the Others on top of the wall, which leads me to believe Jon won't have Sam read up on them either. I don't like when they ignore them too much. I get that they're supposed to be kept in the dark and mysterious, but they are what they are all there for, one would guess someone would be talking about it.
I would doubt they get ignored.  Remember the scene where the Others took that baby way off in the woods, to that "Others coven" that showed what I can only assume was an Others high priest (with horns on his head) who touched the baby and it turned into an Other?

That scene wasn't in any book.  For them to include something like inclines me to believe they have no interest in minimizing the importance of the Others.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2194 on: April 13, 2015, 12:45:05 PM »
I believe that as well. I'm just sad that they're not getting as much attention from the main characters as I'd like. And we're missing some cool scenes because of it.

I'm also wondering why the Horn of Joramund is left out. I'm guessing that means that it's not of much further importance. Don't tell me if you know though.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2195 on: April 13, 2015, 01:01:13 PM »

It's only realistic. Any proud and strong man will be a coward when his flesh starts to burn.

He leaned towards cowardice when he first saw the cage in the book. He immediately started saying "mercy" and "this is not right, I'm not the king."  So clearly his cowardice appeared before he was burned.  It even uses the word cowardice in the book. 

Halfway through, why?  Does something else regarding Mance happen which rebuts what I said? 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2196 on: April 13, 2015, 01:06:04 PM »

Halfway through, why?  Does something else regarding Mance happen which rebuts what I said?
Keep reading.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2197 on: April 13, 2015, 02:54:00 PM »
Prog Snob, you will definitely need to keep reading to understand  :biggrin:

I think the show only downplays the Walkers because its not important to the storyline arcs in each season.  The show throws bits and pieces about them each season to let everyone know they are there and they are a threat, but they don't focus on them so much because I dont think they will become "main characters" until close to the end.  I think we see a lot more of them later this season though since we know something is going to happen at Hardhome.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2198 on: April 13, 2015, 03:42:16 PM »
Let's avoid too much in the way of book-spoilers, yeah? :)

That said, I'm interested in how they'll be changing things. Varys accompanying Tyrion (at least for now) could be fun. So far this season has mostly stuck pretty close to the books though.

Overall, good first episode - not much in the way of big events but set a number of arcs up nicely.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2199 on: April 13, 2015, 03:52:35 PM »

Keep reading.

Prog Snob, you will definitely need to keep reading to understand  :biggrin:

I think the show only downplays the Walkers because its not important to the storyline arcs in each season.  The show throws bits and pieces about them each season to let everyone know they are there and they are a threat, but they don't focus on them so much because I dont think they will become "main characters" until close to the end.  I think we see a lot more of them later this season though since we know something is going to happen at Hardhome.

I plan on it.   ;D   I'm off the next couple of days so I should definitely put a significant dent in the rest of the book.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2200 on: April 13, 2015, 04:01:46 PM »
Let's avoid too much in the way of book-spoilers, yeah? :)

That said, I'm interested in how they'll be changing things. Varys accompanying Tyrion (at least for now) could be fun. So far this season has mostly stuck pretty close to the books though.

Overall, good first episode - not much in the way of big events but set a number of arcs up nicely.

Not sure if this was refering to me (I assume it may) but I dont think I have said anything that isnt in the trailers.  Regardless, I do not wish to spoil things and will try not to (I really at this point know very little spoilers anyway since the books to this point of the show aren't the same anymore and I have no read spoilers from the set or watched the leaked episodes), I am only going off what was shown in the trailers and in the day in the life show HBO aired.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2201 on: April 13, 2015, 04:55:37 PM »
Nope wasn't referring to you, or to anyone in particular. Was prompted by hef and Evermind's posts though, which didn't contain spoilers,  but I thought I'd get my comment in early.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2202 on: April 14, 2015, 12:43:25 AM »
Solid first episode. Think Jon Snow has weakened or strenghtened his position by mercy-killing Mance?
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2203 on: April 14, 2015, 07:34:07 AM »
I think the red cunt wants to devour him, but Stannis seems to hold some regard Jon Snow being Ned Stark's son.
I feel that Jon Snow sold Stannis offer extremely short to Mance, Stannis told him he'll let the Wildlings have lands and settle south of the wall! the whole reason they fought and were to continue fighting if they had defeated the night's watch and got passed the wall! Basically they were gonna do everything they were set out to do with the addition of being legal residents/neutralized citizens of Westeros, which means they would avoid future wars with the kingdoms which were to surely crush them at one point or another, Jon Snow didn't tell Mance the full offer and didn't argue any of these points, felt like they were just pushing for Mance to die.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2204 on: April 14, 2015, 07:56:14 AM »
I agree. While the acting and cinematography were great, the scene made little sense. I get that Mance didn't want to bend the knee, but Stannis did offer him exactly what he wanted when Lance united the clans. To escape the white walkers by going past the wall. I get he wanted to hold true to his values of not bending, but he got a good offer and died for seemingly very little reason other than his own pride.  And Stannis definitely holds Jon Snow in some regard for being Ned's son. Ned and Stannis did have a good relationship and both highly regarded to each other.