Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 645839 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #2030 on: October 03, 2014, 03:22:25 PM »

I wish The Walking Dead was an HBO show

HBO was approached before AMC for The Walking Dead. They turned it down....I'm sure they regret that decision. It'd have been interesting to see the difference for sure because they'd likely have trimmed the fat in the episodes assuming they'd have stuck with the 10 episode deal they have going like GoT....or even True Detective and The Leftovers only had 8 episodes. TWD gets 16 episodes on AMC but IMO only 12 or 13 of them are worth a  :censored each season and there is a ton of 'wasted' screen time in the episodes as well. But I do like the show a lot.

That's the one thing that has always impressed me with the Got episodes.....they really don't waste a second on those shows....doing an excellent job moving the story along of multiple different characters. Very well done.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2031 on: October 06, 2014, 03:24:17 PM »
I agree, no filler in GoT. I keep comparing to Walking Dead because it's the only other current show I watch and because they're both based on books, which would normally provide the amazing advantage of knowing where the plot is going a long time in advance instead of the rest of dumpster shows on TV where writers just make shit up as they go from season to season. Unfortunately I think Walking Dead still fell into the hands of dumb ass writers that usually have no idea what's gonna happen the following year and it shows.
Another thing I like about GoT is that the writers/creator don't use tool characters, tool is just what I call one dimensional character written and forced in the show to serve a sole purpose before dying or leaving, like the woman Tyrese fell in love with for an episode then got killed to turn Tyrese from a peaceful dumbfuck to a raging dumbfuck, there are usually at least one tool per Walking Dead season. Although a case can be made that Robb Stark's wife was a tool to facilitate the breaking of his oath to Walder Frey and all the consequences of that.
A thought on the subject of the show's pace going faster than the books: if HBO was to respect the epic that it introduced to us and how worthy the wait shall be; they wouldn't rush Martin to finish the books cause that will undoubtedly reflect on the quality of the writing so I think the best case scenario is for GoT to go on a year hiatus or even two if it needs to, to allow Martin to finish the books comfortably, I know some fans will be pissed off but I think waiting is better than any compromise on this epic, people wait on movie sequels just the same and I would appreciate and respect that action.
I do trust and like the two show running guys but I can't tell if they could really go into "make stuff up on our own" mode, even if Martin gave them guidelines on where the overall plot is going.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #2032 on: October 06, 2014, 03:45:29 PM »
They've already gone into that mode. Robb's wife was a complete fabrication on their part if I can mentioned one thing.

And they know where the story is headed, the showrunners and GRRM have both stated this. The scene with the white walker baby has never been appeared in the books but I bet it was them knowing that part of the story ahead of us (Martin has said that the next book will delve deeper into the white walkers).
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2033 on: October 06, 2014, 03:56:19 PM »
I didn't know Robb's wife was not in the books, makes sense how she was a tool then heh, but that really makes me wonder what triggered Robb's fate in the books then, I need to buy them soon.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2034 on: October 06, 2014, 04:06:31 PM »
Rob's wife is in the books, just a completely different character and does not die in the Red Wedding (wasnt present).  What happens to her in the books is unknown and GRRM stated she makes an appearance in the next book, but at what role? Who knows, maybe she just gets killed off.  But her being the reason for betrayal of the Frey's is still true in both book and show.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2035 on: October 06, 2014, 04:30:35 PM »
Yeah, sorry I didn't make that clearer. Robb's wife in the books (Jeyne) and show (Talisa) are completely different characters in race, ethnicity and attitude but their marriage is still the reason the RW happened.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #2036 on: October 06, 2014, 09:48:50 PM »
Yeah, sorry I didn't make that clearer. Robb's wife in the books (Jeyne) and show (Talisa) are completely different characters in race, ethnicity and attitude but their marriage is still the reason the RW happened.
I like better the books version, it shows a bit more Robb's personality and resemblance with his father.
But on the other hand in the shows we have Oona Chaplin  :hefdaddy

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2037 on: October 06, 2014, 10:51:11 PM »
One of the main reasons I didn't mind the change was Oona Chaplin's ass! :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2038 on: October 07, 2014, 02:37:13 AM »
Which is all that matters really.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2039 on: December 19, 2014, 05:23:17 PM »
The official 'Game of Thrones' YouTube channel has begun posting those little behind the scenes clips, and that 'The Raven Brings the Sight' stuff is starting to be promoted more on their Facebook page. It seems as if they're ramping up for some actual news pretty soon, and I am very excited for it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2040 on: December 19, 2014, 11:36:39 PM »
I was wondering when we should start getting some snippets and promos. It's almost January already.  :D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2041 on: December 20, 2014, 08:55:27 AM »
I was wondering when we should start getting some snippets and promos. It's almost January already.  :D

Yes, Winter is coming...  :biggrin:

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2042 on: December 20, 2014, 11:28:37 AM »
Global Warming cancels Winter due to low ratings.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2043 on: December 21, 2014, 03:33:40 AM »

Yes, Winter is coming...  :biggrin:

:lol 

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2044 on: December 21, 2014, 11:54:05 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IMLt-fRIuw

A sort of trailer for HBO stuff coming in 2015. Towards the end there are four quick shots from the upcoming season. It isn't much, but you know... It's something for now.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2045 on: January 06, 2015, 08:08:32 AM »
Apparently HBO will be showing season 4 on the big screen in IMAX at the end of the month, and it will include a trailer for season 5.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2046 on: January 06, 2015, 08:34:43 AM »
It's starting to itch, that's for sure.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2047 on: January 06, 2015, 08:51:43 AM »
Looking forward to it, now that I've caught up on the books!

Is there any info out there on how far Season 5 will go in terms of the books? I'm assuming it'll be approximately Feast plus some of Dance, but that's purely a guess. I was wondering if there's any actual info out there.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2048 on: January 06, 2015, 08:54:54 AM »

Is there any info out there on how far Season 5 will go in terms of the books? I'm assuming it'll be approximately Feast plus some of Dance, but that's purely a guess. I was wondering if there's any actual info out there.

I believe it may go up all the way through Dance.  It seems theyve cut out the Iron Islands and there are pictures of Tyrion with Dany on the internet.  Im not sure if they will cover every characters arc to the end of Dance, but I would say they get very far into it, also they filmed the walk of shame.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2049 on: January 06, 2015, 08:58:33 AM »

I believe it may go up all the way through Dance.  It seems theyve cut out the Iron Islands and there are pictures of Tyrion with Dany on the internet.  Im not sure if they will cover every characters arc to the end of Dance, but I would say they get very far into it, also they filmed the walk of shame.
I do wish that they aren't taking out the Iron Islands and just letting them sit on the sidelines until next year, I wouldn't be happy if the last we see of the Iron Islands is Asha/Yara running from the Dreadfort.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2050 on: January 06, 2015, 09:04:18 AM »

I do wish that they aren't taking out the Iron Islands and just letting them sit on the sidelines until next year, I wouldn't be happy if the last we see of the Iron Islands is Asha/Yara running from the Dreadfort.

If thats the case, the writers really butchered them, but I think thats unlikely as she needs to get back to Theon, but who knows since we dont know how the story ends in terms of the Greyjoys

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2051 on: January 06, 2015, 09:53:46 AM »

If thats the case, the writers really butchered them, but I think thats unlikely as she needs to get back to Theon, but who knows since we dont know how the story ends in terms of the Greyjoys
In my wishiest of wishes this is the showrunners giving GRRM time to release TWoW by holding the Iron Islands for another year.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2052 on: January 06, 2015, 09:59:49 AM »
Apparently HBO will be showing season 4 on the big screen in IMAX at the end of the month, and it will include a trailer for season 5.
For clarity, it isn't all of season 4, it is the last two episodes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2053 on: January 06, 2015, 10:21:00 AM »
For clarity, it isn't all of season 4, it is the last two episodes.

The battle at the wall would be amazing in IMAX.  Im a huge fan, but I dont see myself taking the time and money though to see it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2054 on: January 06, 2015, 03:06:57 PM »

Not meaning to double post, but I just read this and it sums up pretty well a lot of what we know about season 5.... lots of spoilers so beware:

https://www.denofgeek.us/tv/game-of-thrones/240575/everything-we-know-about-game-of-thrones-season-5

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2055 on: January 07, 2015, 02:26:38 AM »
Good stuff, thanks Cram.

My only worry is that things get a bit rushed now. I do think Seasons 3 and 4 were a bit too slow, but after they took 2 seasons to do 1 book, now apparently trying to get through 2 books in 1 season just seems a bit quick. I appreciate they can truncate some of the stories though, and I'll admit that some of the sub-plots in those books didn't seem to really go anywhere. So we'll just have to wait and see.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2056 on: January 07, 2015, 06:13:32 AM »
Much like Marvel Studios, I will trust them until they give me reason not to do so.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2057 on: January 07, 2015, 07:09:10 AM »
Good stuff, thanks Cram.

My only worry is that things get a bit rushed now. I do think Seasons 3 and 4 were a bit too slow, but after they took 2 seasons to do 1 book, now apparently trying to get through 2 books in 1 season just seems a bit quick. I appreciate they can truncate some of the stories though, and I'll admit that some of the sub-plots in those books didn't seem to really go anywhere. So we'll just have to wait and see.

I actually thought the opposite, the first two seasons were slower and the last two were faster paced.  You can say it took two seasons to cover 1 book, but thats not entirely true as a lot of Dance is included in season 4 and also that one book happens to be the biggest and most action packed book whereas Feast and Dance are very slow paced books.

Regardless...

Much like Marvel Studios, I will trust them until they give me reason not to do so.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2058 on: January 08, 2015, 05:43:40 PM »
Season 5 premiere date officially announced, april 12th!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2059 on: January 09, 2015, 06:20:24 PM »
Have they announced which IMAX locations yet?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2060 on: January 10, 2015, 05:08:39 AM »
Have they announced which IMAX locations yet?
No.  I am patiently waiting.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2061 on: January 10, 2015, 07:58:11 AM »

And on a side note, Silicon Valley will be airing right after.  Sunday nights are going to be awesome!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2062 on: January 10, 2015, 08:22:01 AM »

And on a side note, Silicon Valley will be airing right after.  Sunday nights are going to be awesome!
And VEEP.  Even more awesome!   :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2063 on: January 30, 2015, 01:53:54 PM »
Going to the IMAX show tonight!    :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2064 on: January 30, 2015, 01:57:37 PM »
Going to the IMAX show tonight!    :metal

Enjoy it!