Author Topic: The Grammys  (Read 2924 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: The Grammy's
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2021, 07:48:27 PM »
It seems it's not just "elitist music listeners" who hate the Grammy's.

Ratings down 51% from last year, a record low.
More people watched Oprah's interview with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle than watched the Grammy's.
https://www.billboard.com/index.php/articles/news/awards/9541290/grammys-2021-ratings

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2021, 07:56:57 PM »
It could be argued that more and more people don't bother because they know they can watch any performance they wanted to see on YT the next day, but that is quite a massive drop.  I thought I saw something about how ratings for all awards shows have been way down recently (if I am remembering correctly), so this may not be a problem exclusive to the Grammy's.  But hey, the people who run that clown show have narrowed their target audience by only focusing on a few genres, so this is what happens.  Even though rock music isn't the force it used to be as a mainstream genre, by ignoring it completely, you make a lot of rock fans, and there are still millions of us, not give a crap about tuning it at all.  I think I have paid attention to the Grammy's maybe two or three times now in the last 30 years (once for Arcade Fire, last week for Taylor Swift, and there might have been another I cannot recall).

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2021, 12:37:32 AM »
I think it comes down to TV, in general, has taken quite a hit in the ratings throughout this pandemic.  Award shows, sports, etc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2021, 05:31:48 AM »
Darkshade, your inbox is full. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2021, 07:24:18 AM »
P.S.:  Would someone please edit this thread's title to remove the superfluous apostrophe?   :)
Sure.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2021, 03:16:49 PM »
I think it comes down to TV, in general, has taken quite a hit in the ratings throughout this pandemic.  Award shows, sports, etc.

Which is surprising.  Seems like everyone thought ratings for sports would go up with most stuck inside, but they all seem to go down.  Who knows why, but it seems a bit odd. 

I doubt awards shows will ever get back to being something that most watch and talk about.  I didn't hear a peep out of anyone at work this week about the Grammys, and there are a handful of people I talk about music enough to where it likely would have come up if anyone had else watched them.