Author Topic: ADTOE Portnoy references.  (Read 12057 times)

Offline Pinga

Re: ADTOE Portnoy references.
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2012, 12:09:50 PM »
I agree.

Does anyone else get that "there's an elephant in the room" feeling when they listen to ADTOE?

No. But sometimes I get that "There's an elephant on the cover" feeling when I listen to Black Clouds.

I get that, but the band has gone on record saying the songs are not about MP, and I really can't argue against that.

...............I have a feeling your post wasn't actually in response or what I wrote.

Lol

Offline chucke

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2012, 03:30:57 PM »
I think DT was focused on writing a great album and MP was the last thing on their mind.

Offline Breaking All Illusions

• "The rebel in us all, someday gets tired of being pushed around"
  • "This is the life we belong to, our gift divine"
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2012, 04:23:45 PM »
No doubt some lyrics dealt with what went on as Portnoy left and as they brought in a new drummer, but I don't think they sat down and said let's make references to Mike in all of these songs. There is a spiritual and political theme running through out the albums lyrics.
"And at last the time has come to unite again as one, to the power of the earth I'm calling, crossing bridges in the sky, on a journey to renew my life. Shaman take my hand" John Petrucci(Dream Theater,Bridges In The  Sky, A Dramatic Turn Of Events, 2011)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2012, 05:23:21 PM »
I think DT was focused on writing a great album and MP was the last thing on their mind.

I'm pretty sure going into the studio without MP for the first time, writing an album in a completely different way than they're used to, it was impossible for them not to have MP on their mind.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline chucke

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2012, 12:57:20 PM »
Well shortly after I was divorced, I was boning some chick and my ex-wife was the last thing on my mind.  :rollin

But in all seriousness, I know what you're saying.

Offline Siberian Khatru

« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2012, 06:49:24 PM »
I think the lyrics are definitely influenced by Portnoy's going. I don't think any one song is completely about Mike or the situation, but there are certainly lines and verses scattered throughout the album that make you wonder if they would have come out the same way had John been in a different state of mind. Whatever the case, there seem to be more than a few parallels between what these songs are mainly about and Mike Portnoy's departure from Dream Theater.

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2012, 06:51:37 PM »
In Lost Not Forgotten, the "Not" in the title refers to Portnoy.

Offline Siberian Khatru

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2012, 06:59:49 PM »
:P