Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 385397 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #3605 on: November 22, 2016, 10:50:22 AM »
The intro to Atlas Rise is totally Thru The Never.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3606 on: November 22, 2016, 11:05:46 AM »
Yea, it seems the influences they took were mostly about vibe and feeling, as opposed to DM or St. Anger, where the influence translated more into "FASTER AND MORE YELLING"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3607 on: November 22, 2016, 11:17:08 AM »
What would we have done in 1986 ?

Play Great ? Get Drunk ?

Oh shit...Um....Rick ?

" Eh just play faster and turn it up more "

K boss.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3608 on: November 22, 2016, 11:18:54 AM »
Spit Out the Bone is the best Metallica song since the ...And Justice for All record, in my opinion. I also dig Atlas Rise quite a bit. Love the Maiden-ish guitar in it. Moth to Flame is good too. After that...a lot of it just sorta bunches together.

admittedly, I haven't really liked Metallica since the Black album. I liked a few songs off the Loads, but that's about it. Even the Black album...too polished for a thrash titan to my ears. But I check out every new studio record. Hardwired...to Self Destruct, to me, is probably the most consistent work since Load. And I'd probably put it above Load in terms of my listening preferences of the studio material. Probably along these lines:

...And Justice for All
Master of Puppets
Ride the Lightning
Kill Em All
Black Album
Hardwired...to Self Destruct
Load
Death Magnetic
Reload
St. Anger

What Hardwired...to Self Destruct showed me, is that Metallica is still a metal band, but the guys are really at odds with the type of music they enjoy, as opposed to the music they pioneered. The latter isn't something they want to do all the time (like Spit Out the Bone), but they are good at it. The former is something they want to write and play more, but aren't as good at it. And so they are still trying to find a balance. Hardwired (the record) has succeeded in achieving that balance to a degree, but is still skewed in the wrong direction (to my ears). They need more thrash. But that may not be where they want to be...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3609 on: November 22, 2016, 11:21:16 AM »
Also they may have gone more mid tempo on this album so it's easier on them live.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3610 on: November 22, 2016, 11:35:56 AM »
What Hardwired...to Self Destruct showed me, is that Metallica is still a metal band, but the guys are really at odds with the type of music they enjoy, as opposed to the music they pioneered. The latter isn't something they want to do all the time (like Spit Out the Bone), but they are good at it. The former is something they want to write and play more, but aren't as good at it. And so they are still trying to find a balance. Hardwired (the record) has succeeded in achieving that balance to a degree, but is still skewed in the wrong direction (to my ears). They need more thrash. But that may not be where they want to be...

Metallica has pretty much always been on record as saying they are more than a thrash band though, even at the beginnings of their careers. Sure, in the 80s, they were more thrash than they have been since then, but they have always been a melting pot of sorts.

Also, a lot of people would disagree that they aren't good at non-thrash... Songs like For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Thing That Should Not Be, Harvester of Sorrow, Sad But True, etc... would like a word with you. I think over the years (and on this new record) they have created incredible, iconic non-thrash songs. That's what made them different, they have never just been thrash.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3611 on: November 22, 2016, 11:40:27 AM »

Metallica has pretty much always been on record as saying they are more than a thrash band though, even at the beginnings of their careers. Sure, in the 80s, they were more thrash than they have been since then, but they have always been a melting pot of sorts.

Also, a lot of people would disagree that they aren't good at non-thrash... Songs like For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Thing That Should Not Be, Harvester of Sorrow, Sad But True, etc... would like a word with you. I think over the years (and on this new record) they have created incredible, iconic non-thrash songs. That's what made them different, they have never just been thrash.

All that's true. I mean, I love "Bleeding Me," and think it is an incredible tune. So I'm not saying that they can't write iconic non-thrash tunes. But all the way through Justice, four albums worth of material, they were a thrash, even progressive thrash metal band. The way they deviated in the 1990s (I mean, everyone did a record like the Black album, so I don't hold that against them) was just a complete 180 degree turn from what they put themselves out there to be.

I wouldn't argue with anyone who says (including the band themselves) that they are more than just a thrash band -- clearly, they are. But I don't agree that they are better at writing non-thrash songs as they are thrash songs. Spit Out the Bone destroys anything else on the new record. That's a shining example.

I'm glad people are diggin' the new record though. It is better than I thought it would be for sure.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3612 on: November 22, 2016, 11:43:21 AM »
Death Magnetic is clearly better than St. Anger.

Sonically at least - Hardwired...TSD is a huge step up from Death Magnetic. I also prefer it musically.

I wonder what they will do next time.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3613 on: November 22, 2016, 11:45:29 AM »
I'm really liking this album! James voice sounds great along with the harmonies throughout. The songs are all strong IMHO and the album has a great balance of tempo change. Very melodic yet driven and heavy. The rhythm guitars are complex and unpredictable in the heavier songs, which I love! Kirks solos are very tastefully done, he's back in good form. I can see my favorite tracks will change around as I get to know this album better.  I'm very impressed with this release, my favorite since And Justice!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3614 on: November 22, 2016, 11:48:08 AM »
All that's true. I mean, I love "Bleeding Me," and think it is an incredible tune. So I'm not saying that they can't write iconic non-thrash tunes. But all the way through Justice, four albums worth of material, they were a thrash, even progressive thrash metal band. The way they deviated in the 1990s (I mean, everyone did a record like the Black album, so I don't hold that against them) was just a complete 180 degree turn from what they put themselves out there to be.

Yeah, Bleeding Me is incredible, I purposely left out songs from the Loads when making the point about their non-thrash stuff, because pretty much every song from the Loads is non-thrash. Don't get me wrong, I agree they changed it up with TBA (my favorite Met. album BTW) I think that shift has been well documented and discussed in music history. I guess my argument is that they have always been more than just a thrash band, they just relied on it more for their first 4 albums.

I wouldn't argue with anyone who says (including the band themselves) that they are more than just a thrash band -- clearly, they are. But I don't agree that they are better at writing non-thrash songs as they are thrash songs. Spit Out the Bone destroys anything else on the new record. That's a shining example.

I'm glad people are diggin' the new record though. It is better than I thought it would be for sure.

I feel you, like I said before, I think the fact that they have written both thrash and non-thrash iconic-level songs is what separates them from the rest.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3615 on: November 22, 2016, 11:58:00 AM »
Not to mention the mixing and production is exceptional on this album. It's very hard to mix a heavy metal album that has so much going on, alot of patience and good ears went into this. Also, the performance of the band is top notch. Metallica is back with a vengeance! I haven't been into them in a long time, this album has rekindled my interest!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Adami

« Reply #3616 on: November 22, 2016, 12:20:02 PM »
I remember when just the three "singles" were released and I feared that James' vocals would be the weak point on the album, but man was I wrong. His vocals are really incredible on this, which I can't say since Load/Reload.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3617 on: November 22, 2016, 12:41:14 PM »
Yes on St. Anger he was weak. No power and cracking all over.

Death Magnetic was so dry and bare. No harmonies. Het was good if you listen to vocal stems but the horrible production was so sterile and thin.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3618 on: November 22, 2016, 12:44:54 PM »
Yup, easily Het's best vocal performance on an original studio album (cause you know, Garage Inc.) since ReLoad.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3619 on: November 22, 2016, 01:21:59 PM »
A poster on the Metallica forum thinks Reload sounds worse than Saint Anger production wise.

Mainly because he thinks Reload has too many overdubs and James sounds like he's smiling the entire time he's singing .

*shrug* I'll take that over drum mics set up in 5 mins - snare disengaged, weak out of tune vocals and a demo sounding album.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3620 on: November 22, 2016, 01:31:22 PM »
A poster on the Metallica forum thinks Reload sounds worse than Saint Anger production wise.

Mainly because he thinks Reload has too many overdubs and James sounds like he's smiling the entire time he's singing .

*shrug* I'll take that over drum mics set up in 5 mins - snare disengaged, weak out of tune vocals and a demo sounding album.

Eh, this is where we head into the subjectivity vs objectivity of production argument... Personally, I think ReLoad is miles better in that regard, but it's actually hard to argue, because from what I know, the production choices on St. Anger were entirely deliberate.

They wanted the drums to sound like that, the vocals to sound like that, etc...to capture a certain energy. It's not like after producing TBA, Load, and ReLoad (three of THE best sounding hard rock/metal albums ever) Bob all of a sudden forgot how to make good sounding records. It was all intentional, so was it really bad? To my ears, it's not as pleasing as ReLoad, but that's just me.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3621 on: November 22, 2016, 02:30:23 PM »
Just listened to the album while on the road and I loved it. Am I Savage? Was a highlight for me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3622 on: November 22, 2016, 02:32:17 PM »
Just listened to the album while on the road and I loved it. Am I Savage? Was a highlight for me.

That ridiculously heavy riff at 4:10 that also closes the song is Het's favourite moment on the album.

It's f---ing HUGE and it's in E STANDARD.

Some bands aren't that heavy in Drop Gb because being heavy isn't about how low you tune.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3623 on: November 22, 2016, 02:37:36 PM »
Some bands aren't that heavy in Drop Gb because being heavy isn't about how low you tune.

Helps a lot though. You don't djent in E :neverusethis:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3624 on: November 22, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »
Djent isn't heavy.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3625 on: November 22, 2016, 02:42:01 PM »

That ridiculously heavy riff at 4:10 that also closes the song is Het's favourite moment on the album.

That is one stupidly heavy riff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3626 on: November 22, 2016, 02:59:15 PM »
I wonder what they will do next time.

I'm sure you will have plenty of time to wonder that.

Really dig the new album, wayyyy better than I expected and it's a good mix of thrash and hard rock.  I need more listens before saying more than that. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3627 on: November 22, 2016, 03:00:57 PM »
*Love* that Am I Savage riff, makes me want to pick up a guitar again.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3628 on: November 22, 2016, 03:15:39 PM »
*Love* that Am I Savage riff, makes me want to pick up a guitar again.

Yeah and it's really easy which makes it swing. Really complicated riffs have no swagger I find.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3629 on: November 22, 2016, 03:47:38 PM »
I'm loving Halo On Fire.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3630 on: November 22, 2016, 03:48:18 PM »
I'm loving Halo On Fire.

That Outro is amazing. Drenched in melody.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #3631 on: November 22, 2016, 04:09:39 PM »

I LOVE that riff! I think Am I Savage? is underrated overall.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3632 on: November 22, 2016, 04:39:27 PM »
I'm loving Halo On Fire.
So far it's my favorite.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3633 on: November 22, 2016, 05:12:35 PM »
I had a brief listen to a couple of tracks but haven't had the time to sit down and listen to the full album.  What I've heard sounds alright, might pick it up.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3634 on: November 22, 2016, 05:15:45 PM »

I LOVE that riff! I think Am I Savage? is underrated overall.

The album's been out for like 4 days, none of the songs can be overrated or underrated yet.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #3635 on: November 22, 2016, 05:40:30 PM »
Thanks for the info bro.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3636 on: November 22, 2016, 05:41:11 PM »
Thanks for the info bro.

No............I'm your father.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3637 on: November 22, 2016, 05:48:23 PM »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3638 on: November 22, 2016, 05:55:11 PM »

That is one stupidly heavy riff.

That is exactly why I love that song. I'm not familiar with all the track names yet because I was driving when I was listening to the album but when I heard that riff I had to grab my phone and find out what song it was.

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #3639 on: November 23, 2016, 03:48:08 AM »
I didn't thought they have an album as strong as Hardwired still left in them.

Are there hundreds of metal drummers being technically more skilled than Lars out there? Does he outgroove them big time, or what ?

The sound/production alone makes this the most enjoyable recording since TBA.

It's starts very good with the title track. I wish there were more songs as short and to the point like Hardwired. Some songs would profit from further trimming.
And it ends spectacular with Spit Out The Bone.
The opener and the closer are the most important songs for a heavy metal album, as they can turn an average album into a classic (Reign In Blood).

Halo On Fire (this is considered a ballad ?) and Atlas,Rise! belong to my early faves, too.

01 RTL
02 MOP
03 TBA
04 AJFA
05 HTSD
06 KEA
07 DM
08 L
09 R
10 SA