Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 385426 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #3220 on: November 07, 2016, 12:45:40 PM »
Wow. I think orion is head & shoulders above the others...

Orion is fantastic. While I put it 3rd, (only in the case of counting Ktulu S&M as a contender), the distance between those three isn't huge. I just like To Live is to Die a bit more. If I couldn't put the S&M song on there, Orion would be a very very close 2nd.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3221 on: November 07, 2016, 01:34:03 PM »
Wow. I think orion is head & shoulders above the others...

Orion is fantastic. While I put it 3rd, (only in the case of counting Ktulu S&M as a contender), the distance between those three isn't huge. I just like To Live is to Die a bit more. If I couldn't put the S&M song on there, Orion would be a very very close 2nd.

Adami, I'm totally with you, the S&M version of Ktulu is mind blowing. If I include the S&M version of The Ecstasy of Gold as an intro and combine it with Ktulu then it is a clear #1.

The ranking would then be:

1. S&M Call of Ktulu
2. Call of Ktulu
3. Orion
4. To Live is to Die
5. Anaesthesia

The top 4 are all pretty close for me. I love Orion but it's just below CoK and just above TLitD.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3222 on: November 07, 2016, 01:50:07 PM »
And there's no Instrumental on Hardwired...To Self Destruct.

Which is fine. They're not obligated to write one.

It just makes it more special when they do.

Each bassist has had at least one now.

Cliff Had Three. Jason had 1 and Rob has 1. 

Rob has 2 if you count their cover of The Ecstacy Of Gold.

Online Adami

« Reply #3223 on: November 07, 2016, 03:01:34 PM »
Eh, I wouldn't count Ecstasy or Anesthesia. The first is a cover song, and the 2nd is just two guys, one for most of it. It's a bass solo, so I didn't even rank it among the instrumentals. It's only on the album because they were young, dumb and full of......well, probably whiskey.

But, I will say that the live version of Orion from Through The Never soundtrack is my favorite version. The performance and quality is just so god damn good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3224 on: November 07, 2016, 03:16:32 PM »

But, I will say that the live version of Orion from Through The Never soundtrack is my favorite version. The performance and quality is just so god damn good.

And probably edited to heckery but who cares. :)

Online Adami

« Reply #3225 on: November 07, 2016, 03:26:34 PM »

And probably edited to heckery but who cares. :)

Eh, if the studio version can be edited, then a live version with no audience at all can be edited too. Metallica is not a band I need to be able to pull off things well live, since I already know they can't. But if they can release a good sounding well performed product, with as much or as little editing as humanly possible, I am a happy guy.

Plus the video part of it rocks too. Seeing them on an empty stage with no audience was just cool. They should record a whole album that way. Maybe Lars will stay in time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3226 on: November 07, 2016, 03:39:19 PM »
Lars uses a click in the studio too.

Anyway - the Nimes DVD is heavily edited. They've put in perfect bass drums and everything is quantized.

Plus people have discovered they used ( or whoever edits these things ) - that the Fade To Black vocal track for Nimes 09 and Mexico 09 are one and the same vocal track.

That's pretty lazy :lol

I knew something was up back in 1997 ?? When I got Cunning Stunts on VHS and things didn't sync up. I know they played Fort Worth over two nights and some video is night #1 with the audio from

night #2.

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #3227 on: November 07, 2016, 04:03:48 PM »

I knew something was up back in 1997 ?? When I got Cunning Stunts on VHS and things didn't sync up. I know they played Fort Worth over two nights and some video is night #1 with the audio from

night #2.

In fact it's the same for all the releases within Live Shit, as well as S&M. Heck, almost all their live DVDs are that way. Not that I care - I have no problem with it. That's the whole point of filming DVDs only when they're playing multiple back to back shows.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3228 on: November 07, 2016, 04:07:22 PM »
Yeah sometimes Het's mouth doesn't match what comes out.

In Hero Of The Day - he *mouths* The Window Burns To Light The Way Back Home.

But what you hear is The Window Burns To Light The Way Back Home ah.

His mouth is totally closed for that last syllable :P

There's a few moments like that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3229 on: November 07, 2016, 05:21:04 PM »
Well i've been practicing my arms off and I can play Hardwired all the way through now !

Just had to rethink my technique in the verses and get my alt picking back up to speed.

Plus Atlas is a lot easier than it first sounds. Easier than Moth with that fiddly verse tail and

awkward verse rhythm part.

Atlas - whilst sounding confusing is actually a lot easier than Moth Into Flame on rhythm guitar. It's pretty fun to play.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3230 on: November 07, 2016, 06:33:44 PM »
I haven't been trying to play any Metallica post-Justice on the guitar, since I learned I had to change the guitar tuning for most of them which is utter bull shit.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3231 on: November 07, 2016, 06:41:27 PM »
😂  😂  😂

The Black Album, Death Magnetic and the new album are in E standard.

I usually keep one of my guitars in Eb standard for such an eventuality.

I think that AX7 trying to re-write The Black Album for HTTK is funnier though...

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3232 on: November 07, 2016, 06:46:19 PM »
I forget all this guitar shit, E standard IS standard tuning? Cause I remember for sure that Sad But True needed a different tuning so it would sound right, which I've never done cause fuck 'em it's exhausting enough to tune the guitar to standard and maintaining that.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3233 on: November 07, 2016, 06:56:17 PM »
E standard is normal tuning . A440 .

Sad But True is D standard. DGCFAD - low to high.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3234 on: November 07, 2016, 09:27:35 PM »
I'm also going to cheat-

Call of Ktulu (S&M)
To Live is to Die
Call of Ktulu / Orion
Suicide and Redemption

Anaesthesia
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3235 on: November 08, 2016, 07:50:46 AM »
In comparison to a lot of other guitar bands, Metallica uses very few alternate tunings.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3236 on: November 08, 2016, 09:07:50 AM »
I saw Temple of the Dog last night, and Mike, Stone and Jeff changed guitars EVERY SINGLE SONG (all 25 or so of them). 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3237 on: November 08, 2016, 09:13:40 AM »
In comparison to a lot of other guitar bands, Metallica uses very few alternate tunings.

Yeah this. First 5 albums are mostly in E 440. Thingy is D standard. Sad is in D std. One of the Black Album tracks - Misery or God that Failed is in Eb - I forget which.

Load and Reload are mostly Eb standard except for one or two. St Anger is all over the shop and the two recent albums are back to E 440.

Did you know that they slightly tuned flat for Master of Puppets and recorded it slower so that they could speed the tape up to make the songs tighter ?

Plus Ride is slightly sharp due to speeding up the tape too.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3238 on: November 08, 2016, 09:14:26 AM »
I saw Temple of the Dog last night, and Mike, Stone and Jeff changed guitars EVERY SINGLE SONG (all 25 or so of them).

That's just showing off to me. The Edge does it as well. I think the only time Hetfield changes guitar is when the song is in a different tuning.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3239 on: November 08, 2016, 09:25:14 AM »
Did you know that they slightly tuned flat for Master of Puppets and recorded it slower so that they could speed the tape up to make the songs tighter ?

Yeah I had heard that stuff about Master and Ride, interesting to say the least. But overall, you're right, outside of St. Anger (the album) you can learn like 90% of their catalog in standard or a half-step down. Like I said, compared to a lot of bands that's pretty simple tuning-wise. I've been messing around with trying to learn some new Alter Bridge songs and they used like 5 or 6 different tunings on their new album, and not just like drop D or something simple, all these different open tunings or alternate tunings that would require different size strings or me to adjust the action on my guitars. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3240 on: November 08, 2016, 09:45:22 AM »

That's just showing off to me. The Edge does it as well. I think the only time Hetfield changes guitar is when the song is in a different tuning.

Well, you know my feelings about James.  He's the standard by which all others are measured, in terms of being "cool as shit". 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3241 on: November 08, 2016, 09:58:40 AM »
Yeah and he doesn't even try. Not anymore at least. Too many metal bands their age are still acting like it's the 80s with all the fake machismo.

I'm really glad they had their therapy

I don't want to  imagine a 52 year old James Hetfield with long white hair still acting like he did in 1988.

It would be so embarrassing.

I always joke that if James never went to rehab or therapy - he'd be like Dog the Bounty Hunter now :lol

( edit - turns out I automatically put ? whenever I type the word therapy :lol )
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 11:21:01 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3242 on: November 08, 2016, 10:07:18 AM »

I was there last night!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3243 on: November 08, 2016, 01:06:20 PM »

Yeah this. First 5 albums are mostly in E 440. Thingy is D standard. Sad is in D std. One of the Black Album tracks - Misery or God that Failed is in Eb - I forget which.

Load and Reload are mostly Eb standard except for one or two. St Anger is all over the shop and the two recent albums are back to E 440.

The God That Failed is the one that's a half step down. All Nightmare Long is also in Drop D. Also, isn't St. Anger mostly in Drop C?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3244 on: November 08, 2016, 01:39:06 PM »
Nightmare plus Just A Bullet Away = Drop D. Yup.

St Anger, Frantic, Some Kind Of Monster = Drop C

Dirty Window = Drop Db

My World = Drop C

Invisible Kid = Drop Ab

Unnamed Feeling = Drop Bb

Everything Else = Drop C.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3245 on: November 08, 2016, 08:36:04 PM »
I know it's because I'm a casual player but I loathe the idea of having to change tuning to play a song.
I felt like learning Fuel's chorus and solo section a few weeks ago and the tab said Drop something and I said drop you mate heh

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3246 on: November 08, 2016, 10:18:11 PM »
I know it's because I'm a casual player but I loathe the idea of having to change tuning to play a song.
I felt like learning Fuel's chorus and solo section a few weeks ago and the tab said Drop something and I said drop you mate heh

I'm the same way. Drop-D is all well and good, but anything more complicated than that is a royal pain in the ass if you don't have multiple decent guitars with different setups.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3247 on: November 09, 2016, 02:11:56 AM »
Might've been naive of me but I was hoping someone would leak the album while security was busy following the elections results hehe

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3248 on: November 09, 2016, 07:59:17 AM »

I'm the same way. Drop-D is all well and good, but anything more complicated than that is a royal pain in the ass if you don't have multiple decent guitars with different setups.

We only had two guitars in my old band, one each.  We'd play our D songs together and our E songs together.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3249 on: November 09, 2016, 10:04:39 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3250 on: November 09, 2016, 10:09:44 AM »
My friend is in a tech band and the entire set is done by MIDI. Their Axe-FX changes their guitar tunings but the guitar itself stays in E 440.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3251 on: November 10, 2016, 01:21:19 AM »
Gotto be honest with you guys. What I'm hearing so far of the new stuff is giving me a pretty positive vibe about the upcoming album. Probably get burned again, but hey. It's 'tallica.  ;)
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Adami

« Reply #3252 on: November 10, 2016, 01:26:29 AM »
I'm definitely digging the music (at least compared to DM or St. Anger) but the vocals (mostly) leave a lot to be desired. So far the vocals seem a bit by the numbers and lacking much melody or being memorable.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3253 on: November 10, 2016, 07:13:38 AM »
I'm definitely digging the music (at least compared to DM or St. Anger) but the vocals (mostly) leave a lot to be desired. So far the vocals seem a bit by the numbers and lacking much melody or being memorable.

I agree about the music, the vocals I have mixed feelings on. I agree that they have left something to be desired in regards to melodic variety, but I think Het's performance sounds phenomenal and the production sounds like an actual professionally recorded vocal, so that's an improvement over the demo-ish vocal sound on DM. I'm still waiting for a song that has even a hint of that Load, Reload era melody and harmony. Maybe something on this album will deliver in those terms, maybe not. Without question though, based on what we have heard in these first three songs, even though I'm not completely sold on the vocals, it's probably easy for me to say it's his best vocal performance since Reload.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3254 on: November 10, 2016, 08:54:42 AM »
Apparently disc 2 is s lot more mid tempo and varied.