Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 385446 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #2170 on: June 29, 2016, 11:29:19 AM »
Who cares....it's all about how the band sounds live.

Which from reading this thread, would also be shit it seems

Everything is shit. Hahaha...

Good entertainment guys.

I enjoyed some songs on Death Magnetic, regardless of production/mixing/mastering.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2171 on: June 29, 2016, 11:34:41 AM »

Het has actually been sounding really good vocally the last couple years, and he is always rock solid on guitar. Rob is a really good bass player, their main issues live are Lars struggling to play some songs and Kirk completely butchering his solos. But, if this thread has taught me anything, it's that Kirk really isn't playing poorly, maybe it's just his artistic choice.  :lol

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2172 on: June 29, 2016, 11:35:03 AM »
A Part of Robert's interview in the Metallica site. It seems that we'll have some vocal harmonies this time:

Obviously there’s work going on in the studio, would you care to give us a little preview here of anything?
Yeah, yeah. HQ is an active Metallica new album machine right now. I can say James and I had a blast doing back-up vocals last week, it was probably the most fun I’ve had during this album cycle, I wouldn’t even call that work. It was just super fun blasting out those choruses; he had a big smile on his face and so did I, so that’s something that I’ll always remember because I don’t think I’ve ever done it on that level. I mean, we’ve done a couple things here and there, but that was a first for me, to be in the vocal booth with him. It was pretty cool. So I feel great. The bass sounds are crushing. I would say they’re the best bass sounds that I’ve had with this band for sure, and already for me that’s a plus. I’m very proud of what Greg [Fidelman – Producer] has done with the sound of my instruments, and I’m also proud of the way I played. We’ve had fun.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2173 on: June 29, 2016, 11:49:47 AM »
A Part of Robert's interview in the Metallica site. It seems that we'll have some vocal harmonies this time:

Obviously there’s work going on in the studio, would you care to give us a little preview here of anything?
Yeah, yeah. HQ is an active Metallica new album machine right now. I can say James and I had a blast doing back-up vocals last week, it was probably the most fun I’ve had during this album cycle, I wouldn’t even call that work. It was just super fun blasting out those choruses; he had a big smile on his face and so did I, so that’s something that I’ll always remember because I don’t think I’ve ever done it on that level. I mean, we’ve done a couple things here and there, but that was a first for me, to be in the vocal booth with him. It was pretty cool. So I feel great. The bass sounds are crushing. I would say they’re the best bass sounds that I’ve had with this band for sure, and already for me that’s a plus. I’m very proud of what Greg [Fidelman – Producer] has done with the sound of my instruments, and I’m also proud of the way I played. We’ve had fun.

Rob singing back-up vocals does not equal harmonies. If there are harmonies bet your butt James will be doing them, as he should, since he is the only member that can actually sing. I'd guess what Rob is talking about are more gang-style vocal parts.

Offline 425

« Reply #2174 on: June 29, 2016, 12:32:39 PM »
I don't really care too much about this weed example, so I'll breeze through that part quickly:

I'm not saying it IS harmful, I'm saying that cosmically there is an answer.  People who smoke either end up better or worse off in some measureable way.  I don't know what the ABSOLUTE answer is (though I suspect it IS harmful, it's just that the harm is likely acceptable to us as a society) just that there is one.

Right.

I don't have to parse it down to "harm" means this or that,

No, actually, you do in order to actually say that it is. You have to name "harmful to what" and define how it is in fact harmful.

and I don't have to literally get 7.3 billion to agree.  it is what it is.   

Right.

My point is that if your standard is defined such that you DO need all 7.3 billion, it's not a good standard.  Your definition of "production" falls into that category.

No. See, people thinking that bad production is good is exactly the same as people thinking that a harmful substance is beneficial. They can enjoy something that is bad, they can feel or even think that it is good, but they may still be wrong.

It's not the "keeper" of the objective standard.  It doesn't "create" objectivity.   It's merely the standard that we agree to use in the event that there is conflict.   "Proxy" is not the equivalent, it's the expression of the social contract.   I don't actually agree (I'm being serious, here) that free speech should be limited by laws against hate speech.  But as part of the social contract I recognize that when my belief collides with others, that the rule of government is going to supplant any objective standard.  In other words, I can't argue, in court, that "Judge, all 315 million people in the United States don't agree that hate speech should be banned, therefore I am not guilty."  That won't work.  it doesn't make "hate speech" the objective standard; it just operates as such in cases where we would prefer there to be an objective standard (or it's impractical to establish one). 

Okay, so you are now saying that a government standard is not necessarily objective. I agree. I hope you also agree that there are existing objective standards in reality, and that the best way to determine these standards is through rational evaluation, not appeals to what a majority or everyone believes. In other words: 7.3 billion agreeing or disagreeing or mixed has literally zip, zero, nada, nothing to do with whether something is objective or not. It's totally irrelevant and shouldn't even be part of the discussion.

EXACTLY.  I agree with that.   I just consider your definition of "good production" to be in that 'popular agreement' category.  "Clear?  I like clear windows. I like clear direction.  Therefore, 'clear production' ought to be better!"  No, it's not, if it isn't what the artist intends you to hear.

I've literally already admitted that my standards for production may be incorrect and that I know nothing about the subject. I don't know why you're so wedded to critiquing my specific standard when what you're trying to do is negate standards (beyond "literally whatever the person making it wants to make") as such. So look, if clarity is a poor standard, fine. I'm totally willing to consider that possibility. But if it is in fact a poor standard, you've said nothing against my actual point, which is that there are standards.

It's not quite circular, even if my wording implies it.  It's meant to be the conduit between the idea in the artists' head and the idea as received by the listener.   The definition is intended to propose the idea that "good production" creates the least amount of friction or "signal loss" between the two. 

Okay, and the artists can communicate their ideas poorly. Such as through a brickwalled production that is inaudible. In communicating ideas with minimum "signal loss," the best way to do that is to minimize literal signal lost. You can say "maybe the artist wants all that signal to be lost," and maybe that's true, but it's the same as printing an entire book with a printer that's running out of ink and produces barely legible half-formed typeface. Sure, okay, I guess the artist has communicated to me that I'm supposed to barely understand what's gone on. They've still done a poor job of communicating and the printing job is still terrible. So it is with terrible music production.

I unequivocally, and with no reservation, disagree with you entirely here.   The artist has an idea, and presents it.  If it entails or requires "white noise over the music" then so be it.   if you get to change that by an arbitrary definition of "good production" involving "clarity", then you are no better than the record company guy that says "I don't hear a single.  Put something short on there, or something with some keyboards."

If the record company guy was saying that to Lou Reed about Metal Music Machine, he would be right to say that.

The difference is that quality of musical composition is usually hard if not impossible to measure. Quality in production is stupidly easy to measure.

Quite frankly, if the artist's idea is "white noise over the music," that's a terrible idea. It presents something that's hard or impossible to listen to, which defeats the purpose of music, which is that it is supposed to be listened to.

The counter example is Vapor Trails.  That was NOT artist intent, as Geddy has gone on record saying "that's not what we bargained for" and they in fact released a remixed/remastered version.   If you can show me where Lars and/or James said "Wow, we screwed the pooch with Death Magnetic, and are releasing a remastered version that is now the definitive version.  Dump your CDs and buy the iTunes version!"   

And this is where we get to one of the most bizarre implications of artistic subjectivism.

If James and Lars say "The Death Magnetic mastering isn't what we wanted!" it automatically becomes bad.

Until and unless they say that, it's magically good—or at least immune to any sort of serious criticism. But with eight words, James Hetfield can magically turn it from good to bad (what happens if James says it isn't what he wanted but Lars says it's exactly what he wanted has not yet been answered—does AJFA have a good mix? Lars wanted it, Jason didn't...).

It couldn't possibly be that it's bad irrespective of what any member of Metallica says or doesn't say.

HAHAHA. If we didn't have a ton of posts on this topic already I would call you out for trolling.   The John Cage compositions are ABSOLUTELY music, and ABSOLUTELY art.   There is no question as to that point.

Lol no. Art is a creation of the artist. The artist has to actually take various elements and arrange them in a certain way to make art. Explicitly not doing that and claim that the act of not doing it is art is another one of the most bizarre implications of artistic subjectivism.

Just so you know, I completed ten murals while typing that paragraph. They're all on the walls of my house. They're called Untitled 1-10. You can buy them for $25 million each. $240 million for the complete set; you get a $10 million discount. If you say "Death Magnetic has bad mastering," I'll lower the price to $210 million just for you. I'm one of the greatest and most prolific muralists of all time, and these works are masterpieces.

There is some debate that MMM was a "fuck you" to the record company and Lou Reed was never entirely clear on refuting that, but most absolutely consider MMM to be "art".

Unlike 4'33", this record MIGHT cross the threshold to be art. In order to do so, it must be the artist actively arranging elements to create it. I don't care to listen to it find out. But it may be art. If so, however, it is art of the most banal and insignificant variety—like a Jackson Pollock painting.

This is integral to the conversation.  You are not the authority to decide what is or is not "art".

Once again, you have decided, wrongly, that I am making claims to authority. No. I have never made any claim to authority at any point in this entire conversation ever. I am claiming that art has a definition, and that there are things which are art and things which are not.

If I, as a sculptor, present a slab of limestone in an effort to make a statement regarding the unlimited artistic possibilities of art, or better yet, as a metaphor for "inner beauty" (the slab 'concealing' whatever final representation of sculpture that may be revealed later), that is MY call, not yours.  You can speak to the effectiveness of that statement, whether you got it or not, but you don't get to say whether it IS a statement or not.   

Art isn't about making statements. That's rhetoric. The whole "art is expression" thing is a horrible intellectual trend. Art is creation. It requires the organization of specific elements by an artist. It is not expression. Not anything that is expressed is art. I just tossed a throw pillow on the floor to express the fact that I want more room on the couch. It's still sitting there where I threw it. Not art. Not even if I call it art.

Why is it so absurd?  I'm only trying to avoid confusion.   I don't think there is a universal standard.  I only proffered "artist intent" as a possible standard that all could agree on, but back against the wall, gun to head, I say there is no standard for "good" when it comes to artistic intent.

Why is it absurd? Because it means that anything and everything is good so long as the artist says "I intend it to be that way" ("this record is just a bunch of cats meowing with the sound of human screams in the background all obscured by the noise of a jet engine malfunctioning after an iron pole was thrown into it" "I intend it to be that way" "Then this is an amazing work of art!"). That isn't a standard, it's an anti-standard because it destroys any attempt at judging (which is of course the reason for a standard in the first place).

And stop confusing irrelevant examples; GE isn't selling their refrigerators as an artistic statement.  They are selling a utilitarian appliance that has one (or more) specific intents that can be measured and quantified.

But what if they did? By your definition of art, they could (saying that it is an expression of their views on room temperature food), and we'd HAVE to call it art.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2175 on: June 29, 2016, 02:08:50 PM »

Het has actually been sounding really good vocally the last couple years, and he is always rock solid on guitar. Rob is a really good bass player, their main issues live are Lars struggling to play some songs and Kirk completely butchering his solos. But, if this thread has taught me anything, it's that Kirk really isn't playing poorly, maybe it's just his artistic choice.  :lol

Well, to some degree, it is.   If he's going for a run and fails, that's poor playing, but if he's opting to replace the solos/licks that were on the album with something alternative, well, yeah, that IS his artistic choice. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2176 on: June 29, 2016, 02:14:46 PM »
Well, to some degree, it is.   If he's going for a run and fails, that's poor playing, but if he's opting to replace the solos/licks that were on the album with something alternative, well, yeah, that IS his artistic choice. 

Yeah, I was kidding. Kirk is just not playing well.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2177 on: June 30, 2016, 12:46:39 AM »
The difference is that quality of musical composition is usually hard if not impossible to measure. Quality in production is stupidly easy to measure.

This is an interesting point, and you're not wrong, but I don't agree with your conclusions. 

True, you can objectively measure production.  Frankly, you can objectively measure just about anything, including music.  A singer has a specific octave range.  A drummer can hit his kit a certain number of times per minute.  An album can have a particular number of guitar solos.  These are all facts that can be measured objectively.  The question is, how do those objective measurements relate to the idea of artistic quality?

And that is a subjective question. 

For example, think about photography.  You might choose to measure the quality of a photograph based on how clearly it depicts it subject.  In that case, a clear picture is obviously better than a blurry one - but only because you made the decision to aim for clarity.  Meanwhile, there are artists who attempt to create beauty by blurring photographs.  And it wouldn't make much sense to hold such a picture's lack of clarity against it when it was never meant to be clear. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 01:01:26 AM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2178 on: June 30, 2016, 04:20:39 AM »
I like how their reasoning behind the clipped master was that it felt like it had more energy ...

...Rather than making it sound clean and....playing with more energy....

...And funnily enough - the less clipped master on iTunes has more energy due to the fact you can make out what they're playing.

I actually appreciate Lars' playing on Death Magnetic more with the new master...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2179 on: June 30, 2016, 07:53:09 AM »

Yeah, I was kidding. Kirk is just not playing well.

On that we can agree; whether it's his fail or his choice, it's not to my liking, and for me, he is sort of ruining the vibe I like from Metallica.  I'm not a diehard fan, but when I'm in the mood, Metallica really hits it.   I saw them on Later... with Jools Holland and they played "Cyanide" and "Enter Sandman", and during ES, they kept panning around to the other five or so acts, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM was standing up, clapping, singing along... some were even playing along.  I watch that show regularly and I've never seen that, not with Sir Paul McCartney, not Noel Gallagher, not Tom Jones... you had Kings of Leon, Carla Bruni, Nicole Atkins, VV Brown and Sway DaSafo all rapt at their performance.   Kirk played it close to the record, and they SMOKED.   You look at some of the live stuff and Kirk goes off on his tangents, and well, it loses it's power if you ask me.   But that's ME.   When I get the gig playing lead in Metallica I can make other choices.   

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2180 on: June 30, 2016, 07:59:19 AM »
On that we can agree; whether it's his fail or his choice, it's not to my liking, and for me, he is sort of ruining the vibe I like from Metallica.  I'm not a diehard fan, but when I'm in the mood, Metallica really hits it.   I saw them on Later... with Jools Holland and they played "Cyanide" and "Enter Sandman", and during ES, they kept panning around to the other five or so acts, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM was standing up, clapping, singing along... some were even playing along.  I watch that show regularly and I've never seen that, not with Sir Paul McCartney, not Noel Gallagher, not Tom Jones... you had Kings of Leon, Carla Bruni, Nicole Atkins, VV Brown and Sway DaSafo all rapt at their performance.   Kirk played it close to the record, and they SMOKED.   You look at some of the live stuff and Kirk goes off on his tangents, and well, it loses it's power if you ask me.   But that's ME.   When I get the gig playing lead in Metallica I can make other choices.

Haha, agreed. For me, its not like Kirk's trying different stuff, you know like playing improv to try something different... He's trying to play the solos just like they are on record, and he just can't do it cleanly anymore, the result is that horrible "sticky fingers" sound you get when a player can't quite pull off what they have in their brains.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2181 on: June 30, 2016, 08:12:52 AM »
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but you had Carla Bruni, a model, singing these bad torch songs in French, and Nicole Atkins a cute little singer-songwriter from New Jersey both jamming away at Metallica.   Every time the camera went to Atkins she was singing along to every word.

I think that says something about the power and ability of that band, when you can capture people regardless of where they are coming from. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2182 on: June 30, 2016, 08:27:18 AM »
Oh yea, I won't argue that. Metallica has created some incredible music that was able to transcend genres in a way that no other heavy metal band really has. Also, I personally think a lot of it (it meaning the way they pull people in during live performances) rests solely in the charisma of Het.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2183 on: June 30, 2016, 08:39:23 AM »
Death Magnetic sounds bad to people who are into music production and sound quality etc.

People who know nothing about any of that stuff - it sounds fine to them .
Not quite.

I've heard plenty of people who know jack about sound quality say that Death Magnetic sounds 'weird'.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2184 on: June 30, 2016, 09:20:47 AM »
Oh yea, I won't argue that. Metallica has created some incredible music that was able to transcend genres in a way that no other heavy metal band really has. Also, I personally think a lot of it (it meaning the way they pull people in during live performances) rests solely in the charisma of Het.

James Hetfield is Metallica. Plain and simple. He is the heart and soul of that band.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline NotePad

« Reply #2185 on: June 30, 2016, 10:08:58 AM »
I've been hearing so much about their upcoming album, I decided to give both the Load albums and TBA another listen, it's been a long long time. And I really enjoy the Load albums, I'd say I enjoy them more then TBA. TBA is a very in-between album. It's still very much a metal album, just with more commercial structures and a couple ballads. It's more traditional metal then any of their other albums, like the early thrash stuff for example.

The Load albums just work better for me. There's catchier songs. But honestly, because they can't seem to do anything to please any fans, they're best bet might to do another album in the style of TBA. At this point, that would please the most fans. DM should have pleased the old school fans, but for some reason it didn't.

Oh and I have to point this out: when I was recently listening to Korn's self titled album, I was surprisingly reminded of St. Anger. I have a feeling that record influenced Metallica while making St. Anger.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2186 on: June 30, 2016, 10:13:23 AM »
This is related to my other point about "artist intent", but I honestly don't want them thinking too much about "doing this kind of album" or "that kind of album".   

Just go in and play what you feel.   I think Lars and James have earned that right at this point in their careers.  If it comes out sounding like "Damage, Inc." or "The Damage" by Marillion, so be it.   

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2187 on: June 30, 2016, 10:48:22 AM »
This is related to my other point about "artist intent", but I honestly don't want them thinking too much about "doing this kind of album" or "that kind of album".   

Just go in and play what you feel.   I think Lars and James have earned that right at this point in their careers.  If it comes out sounding like "Damage, Inc." or "The Damage" by Marillion, so be it.   

I agree that they should play what feels natural to them, but I'd argue they didn't need to earn the right to do that. Ideally, that's what any musician at any level should do, play and create something that they feel passionate about to some degree. Not creation for the sake of servicing a fan base or a portion of a fan base.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2188 on: June 30, 2016, 10:59:18 AM »
No. See, people thinking that bad production is good is exactly the same as people thinking that a harmful substance is beneficial. They can enjoy something that is bad, they can feel or even think that it is good, but they may still be wrong.

No.  It's not a small point to say that the issue isn't thinking "bad" production is "good".  It's having the hubris and audacity to think that you can even say one way or the other.   Yes, if we were all producers arguing who's cock is biggest ("cock size" being "clarity of production") then yeah, there is a better and a worse.  But that's not where we are.  You, 425, have arbitrarily and unilaterally determined that "clarity" is the be-all and end-all of "good" production, and I'm saying NO.   If the artist's statement is contingent on a LACK of clarity then the artist's intent trumps your individual, personal belief.  That's really all there is to my argument.

Okay, so you are now saying that a government standard is not necessarily objective. I agree. I hope you also agree that there are existing objective standards in reality, and that the best way to determine these standards is through rational evaluation, not appeals to what a majority or everyone believes. In other words: 7.3 billion agreeing or disagreeing or mixed has literally zip, zero, nada, nothing to do with whether something is objective or not. It's totally irrelevant and shouldn't even be part of the discussion.

I do agree that there are existing objective standards in reality, though I'm not willing to concede the "rational evaluation" part until I know more.   And I'm not at all saying that we should appeal to "the majority".  If you know me, you would know I could give a fuck what the majority believes.  My point with the 7.3 billion wasn't "majority rules", but rather that not one person could have a different standard.  That's one of the definitions of "objective".  "Independent of any one person".  That I - or anyone else, including Lars - doesn't give a shit about "production clarity" is indicative that "production clarity" is NOT the objective standard of "good production".   

I've literally already admitted that my standards for production may be incorrect and that I know nothing about the subject. I don't know why you're so wedded to critiquing my specific standard when what you're trying to do is negate standards (beyond "literally whatever the person making it wants to make") as such. So look, if clarity is a poor standard, fine. I'm totally willing to consider that possibility. But if it is in fact a poor standard, you've said nothing against my actual point, which is that there are standards.

Well, I have, acutally, and I can't speak to why that was missed.  I do not believe there are general, objective standards of "good" or "bad" in art.   I do believe that we can, in isolated sub-conversations, establish objective standards to measure certain things; if you and I agree that we are going to rank the 10 "best" albums ever, that list doesn't exist unless and until you and I agree on what the standard is.  That standard does not exist outside our agreement.  That's all I'm saying. 

Okay, and the artists can communicate their ideas poorly. Such as through a brickwalled production that is inaudible. In communicating ideas with minimum "signal loss," the best way to do that is to minimize literal signal lost. You can say "maybe the artist wants all that signal to be lost," and maybe that's true, but it's the same as printing an entire book with a printer that's running out of ink and produces barely legible half-formed typeface. Sure, okay, I guess the artist has communicated to me that I'm supposed to barely understand what's gone on. They've still done a poor job of communicating and the printing job is still terrible. So it is with terrible music production.

NO NO NO.   NO a thousand times NO.   "Brickwalled production" is only "bad" when the artist INTENDED clarity of production (or whatever the opposite of "brickwalled production" is) as part of his/her artistic statement.   YOU don't get to determine that.

ONLY if you agree on what the standard is to measure it.  We now have two standards:  one is "clarity of production" and two is "the degree to which the artists intent is communicated to the listener (immaterial as to whether the listener actually gets it or not).  I think the former can be easy, the latter, maybe not so much.

Quite frankly, if the artist's idea is "white noise over the music," that's a terrible idea. It presents something that's hard or impossible to listen to, which defeats the purpose of music, which is that it is supposed to be listened to.

Wrong. You couldn't possibly be more wrong.   It's terrible to YOU, but that's just you.  Not an objective standard.  I think Axl Rose's "dow-woo-our" pronunciations on "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" are a terrible idea too, but so be it.  He's the singer.  I think fading the solo on "Tonight" by Ozzy was a terrible idea, but so be it.  It's his song.  I hate the solo at the end of "Lucky Man" by ELP, terrible idea to ruin the beauty of the piece with that noise, but so be it.  It's Keith's spot.   Same with the "white noise" over the end of "I Want You".  John Lennon is one of the greats in modern music; he doesn't need us telling him what ideas are worthy and what are not.   

And this is where we get to one of the most bizarre implications of artistic subjectivism.

If James and Lars say "The Death Magnetic mastering isn't what we wanted!" it automatically becomes bad.

Until and unless they say that, it's magically good—or at least immune to any sort of serious criticism. But with eight words, James Hetfield can magically turn it from good to bad (what happens if James says it isn't what he wanted but Lars says it's exactly what he wanted has not yet been answered—does AJFA have a good mix? Lars wanted it, Jason didn't...).

No, they don't "magically turn it...".  It's not Schroedinger's Cat.  It was and always will be "good", you just didn't know it.   You (no one is) privy to every bit of information, and in the meantime, all you can do is say "that's not for me; I don't like it."   You can use the euphemism "good" or "bad" to describe it, as many of us do on a daily basis, but you wouldn't be terribly accurate in doing so.

Lol no. Art is a creation of the artist. The artist has to actually take various elements and arrange them in a certain way to make art. Explicitly not doing that and claim that the act of not doing it is art is another one of the most bizarre implications of artistic subjectivism.

Just so you know, I completed ten murals while typing that paragraph. They're all on the walls of my house. They're called Untitled 1-10. You can buy them for $25 million each. $240 million for the complete set; you get a $10 million discount. If you say "Death Magnetic has bad mastering," I'll lower the price to $210 million just for you. I'm one of the greatest and most prolific muralists of all time, and these works are masterpieces.

This fundamental to the discussion:  your example hopelessly and futilely confuses artist intent with listener/viewer reaction.   Is Beyoncé's new album more or less "art" than, say, "Scenes From A Memory"?  if you made those murals with no other intention than selling them for $240 million, I would argue they are not art.   If each of those murals represents each of the ten years you spent with the girlfriend that broke your heart, it would be art.  Whether anyone sees them, or buys them is immaterial to that.   Not related at all.    And whether those are "good" or "bad" would depend on how accurately you translated that feeling.   

Unlike 4'33", this record MIGHT cross the threshold to be art. In order to do so, it must be the artist actively arranging elements to create it. I don't care to listen to it find out. But it may be art. If so, however, it is art of the most banal and insignificant variety—like a Jackson Pollock painting.

Why isn't "silence" an element?   Robert Fripp - whom I consider the consummate artist in every way, and many agree - disagrees with you (look up "Trio", where Bill Bruford famously stood with his arms crossed and drumsticks in hand, consciously choosing NOT to play a note, and Fripp conspicuously gave him a writing credit for his choices).  Art is all about "choices".  In music, that is what to play and what not to play.

[quote
Once again, you have decided, wrongly, that I am making claims to authority. No. I have never made any claim to authority at any point in this entire conversation ever. I am claiming that art has a definition, and that there are things which are art and things which are not.
[/quote]

But you have.  You have deemed 4'33" to not be art, for some reason, and that's on you.  John Cage is one of the most esteemed and innovative and demanding compositional artists out there.  He requires you to reevaluate your preconceived notions constantly.   Yet you said his work (one of them) was "not art".   That's judgmental.

Art isn't about making statements. That's rhetoric. The whole "art is expression" thing is a horrible intellectual trend. Art is creation. It requires the organization of specific elements by an artist. It is not expression. Not anything that is expressed is art. I just tossed a throw pillow on the floor to express the fact that I want more room on the couch. It's still sitting there where I threw it. Not art. Not even if I call it art.

I'm hardly an intellectual hipster.   "Expression" is the way that the Mona Lisa separates from the refrigerator you mentioned in a previous post.   There is no real "utility" to the Mona Lisa beyond the communication aspect.  Whether that "communication" is a statement on females of the sixteen century, or an attempt to elicit joy from the viewer is subject to the artist intent, but that painting doesn't make phone calls for you, or provide you access to the internet, or freeze your steaks. 

Throwing your pillow is not an expression in that sense; it is utilitarian; you are ACTUALLY creating space on the couch.   I can't think of one, but there are ways of articulating that feeling in a broader sense that WOULD be art.

Why is it absurd? Because it means that anything and everything is good so long as the artist says "I intend it to be that way" ("this record is just a bunch of cats meowing with the sound of human screams in the background all obscured by the noise of a jet engine malfunctioning after an iron pole was thrown into it" "I intend it to be that way" "Then this is an amazing work of art!"). That isn't a standard, it's an anti-standard because it destroys any attempt at judging (which is of course the reason for a standard in the first place).

Yes, actually, but don't confuse "good" with "you like it".   And don't confuse what I said earlier about establishing a standard for a particular purpose.   everyone and their brother thinks they could be a music critic, and I call bullshit on that.  "Whoa, this album kicks major ass! It's AWESOME!" is not music critique.   Classical criticism is a complex and intricate thing, and most (I would say all, but there's probably one somewhere) classic criticisms take the form of "establish context, establish standard, compare work in context to standard".    The judgment is separate from that assessment of "good" or "bad".  There are absolutely ways to get to your wish to judge things.  There is a reason that albums like "Sgt. Pepper" and "Pet Sounds" are considered classics in their field, and it's not because one person said "oh, that is GOOD!".   It's because there is a synergy between the efforts of the artist to hew as close as possible to their vision at a time when that vision was fresh and the adherence wasn't as easy as sitting in your mom's basement with a laptop and running pre-programmed beats.   Whether any one person "likes" Sgt. Pepper's or not is immaterial to it's consideration as a classic piece of art.  I am a Beatles maniac, and it's not my first or second favorite album by them, but I would absolutely consider it their "masterwork" if we were using such a term.  Bob Dylan is another example.  I have 2,000 CDs plus or minus and not one Dylan Cd, and likely never will. He is unlistenable to me.  Hate his music.   Yet, it would be stupid and churlish of me to not recognize that in the context of American music of the last 50 years, he is one of the three "classic" artists.

But what if they did? By your definition of art, they could (saying that it is an expression of their views on room temperature food), and we'd HAVE to call it art.

Conceptually, yes.   IKEA perhaps does that. 

Offline 425

« Reply #2189 on: June 30, 2016, 08:54:58 PM »
No.  It's not a small point to say that the issue isn't thinking "bad" production is "good".  It's having the hubris and audacity to think that you can even say one way or the other... You, 425, have arbitrarily and unilaterally determined that "clarity" is the be-all and end-all of "good" production, and I'm saying NO

YOU don't get to determine that.

Again, and this is the last time I am saying this.

When I say that there are objective standards and that I am trying to identify what those are, it is not the same thing as me saying that I am the universal decider and what I say goes.

This is not that difficult and yet you continue, time after time, to act like I am trying to make myself the final artistic authority. I am not. There is a difference between "there is a truth, and this is what I think that truth might be" and "what I say is the truth because I am saying it." Please stop accusing me of trying to posture myself as an authority who "gets to determine" things. I have explicitly stated about five times now that I am not doing that. Okay?

That's one of the definitions of "objective".  "Independent of any one person".  That I - or anyone else, including Lars - doesn't give a shit about "production clarity" is indicative that "production clarity" is NOT the objective standard of "good production".   

Okay, but here's the thing. Maybe you and Lars are wrong. Maybe I'm wrong that clarity is the proper standard. I have said repeatedly that I'm willing to concede that possibility. But just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean that it is false. Just as you have said to me many, many times: You don't get to decide.

NO NO NO.   NO a thousand times NO.   "Brickwalled production" is only "bad" when the artist INTENDED clarity of production (or whatever the opposite of "brickwalled production" is) as part of his/her artistic statement.   YOU don't get to determine that.

Again, this opens a massive door for something that is actually inaudible to be considered good. You've clearly shown that you're okay with that. I'm not. I think it's insulting to people who are actually good at what they do to go up to them and say "Yes, you're good at what you do, but so is the guy who made the decision to make Death Magnetic literally painful to listen to for some people. You are both equally good. We cannot say that either of you is better than the other."

ONLY if you agree on what the standard is to measure it.  We now have two standards:  one is "clarity of production" and two is "the degree to which the artists intent is communicated to the listener (immaterial as to whether the listener actually gets it or not).  I think the former can be easy, the latter, maybe not so much.

Right, and as I pointed out, the latter is not a real standard. It's saying that the standard is that there are no standards.

Wrong. You couldn't possibly be more wrong.   It's terrible to YOU, but that's just you.  Not an objective standard.  I think Axl Rose's "dow-woo-our" pronunciations on "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" are a terrible idea too, but so be it.  He's the singer.  I think fading the solo on "Tonight" by Ozzy was a terrible idea, but so be it.  It's his song.  I hate the solo at the end of "Lucky Man" by ELP, terrible idea to ruin the beauty of the piece with that noise, but so be it.  It's Keith's spot.   Same with the "white noise" over the end of "I Want You".  John Lennon is one of the greats in modern music; he doesn't need us telling him what ideas are worthy and what are not.   

Now, some of these may be personal preferences, some not. I don't want to get into all of those—we're talking about production, not composition or perferomance, and all but one of those is related to one of those two and not production (though there are objective standards for those two as well, they're just harder to pin down). But terrible brickwalled production is terrible, because when you listen to the record you can't hear what's going it, it clips, it warps and it can be painful. That's actually bad, and if the "artist's intent" is to be bad, fine, but it's still bad.

No, they don't "magically turn it...".  It's not Schroedinger's Cat.  It was and always will be "good", you just didn't know it.

What if James was happy with it in 2008, but he decides to play it again now and realizes it's really bad and not what he wanted it to sound like at all?

I also notice that you ignored my comment about AJFA. This is something that you have to answer or this whole premise of subjectivism is internal contradictory. Lars likes the production on AJFA. It is what he intended. Jason hates it. It is not what he intended. Is the production on AJFA good, or bad? (For reference, I posit that it is bad, since one standard for quality in production surely must be that all the instruments are audible)

Also LOL at the very idea of calling the DM production good. But that's what is so often said about bad things that people only claim to be good by saying that there is no real standard of quality.

This fundamental to the discussion:  your example hopelessly and futilely confuses artist intent with listener/viewer reaction.   Is Beyoncé's new album more or less "art" than, say, "Scenes From A Memory"?

Art or not art is a binary condition. It makes no sense for something to be more art or less art than anything else. It can be better or worse art, but there's art and then there's not art. SFAM and Lemonade are both art. They are equally art by definition since there are no degrees of art.

if you made those murals with no other intention than selling them for $240 million, I would argue they are not art.   If each of those murals represents each of the ten years you spent with the girlfriend that broke your heart, it would be art.  Whether anyone sees them, or buys them is immaterial to that.   Not related at all.    And whether those are "good" or "bad" would depend on how accurately you translated that feeling.   

Untitled 1-10 all express my feelings about people saying that artistic quality is subjective. Some of them are white. Some of them are blue. Some of them are off-white—what is often called cream. And each and every one of them is worth $25 million. They are great masterpieces of art paralleled only by the work of a composer who didn't write a score and said that the score he did not write was a work of artistic genius.

Why isn't "silence" an element?   Robert Fripp - whom I consider the consummate artist in every way, and many agree - disagrees with you (look up "Trio", where Bill Bruford famously stood with his arms crossed and drumsticks in hand, consciously choosing NOT to play a note, and Fripp conspicuously gave him a writing credit for his choices).  Art is all about "choices".  In music, that is what to play and what not to play.

Silence is an element the same way that blank space on the canvas is an element. They aren't really elements, but they can act sort of like them by their position in relation to the elements. They're space between elements. And putting that space between elements can serve a great purpose in a painting or a composition. But if there are no elements and there is just space, then that is not art—it's not made up of any elements at all.

But you have.  You have deemed 4'33" to not be art, for some reason, and that's on you.

It's not art because it's nothing. Nothing is not art. It's nothing.

But if you think John Cage's nothing is so great, I have a great new album to share with you. It's called "Memorex CD-R." Looks like it has three songs: 52X, 700MB and 80min. I hear it's a must-listen for fans of 4'33". Some people are even saying it's better than Cage's work. You should really check it out.

John Cage is one of the most esteemed and innovative and demanding compositional artists out there.  He requires you to reevaluate your preconceived notions constantly.   Yet you said his work (one of them) was "not art".   That's judgmental.

I don't know any of Cage's other compositions. One or more of them might be good, for all I know (in order for it to be good, it would have to contain actual music). But Cage is also considered a postmodernist. And though there are exceptions, I have typically found people associated with that movement to be [UK swearing incoming] pretentious wankers. I'm not applying that label to Cage's other works, though 4'33" alone deserves the title "pretentious wankery," but I certainly am applying it to the likes of James Joyce, who is the Jackson Pollock of literature.

And being judgmental is not a bad thing. In fact, it is a good thing. It's the only way to have any success in life. But of course, judgment can be harsh and mean and is totally incompatible with a view that places "whatever went through Kirk Hammett's brain in 2008" as more important than whether the result is enjoyable or even coherent.

I'm hardly an intellectual hipster.   "Expression" is the way that the Mona Lisa separates from the refrigerator you mentioned in a previous post.   There is no real "utility" to the Mona Lisa beyond the communication aspect.  Whether that "communication" is a statement on females of the sixteen century, or an attempt to elicit joy from the viewer is subject to the artist intent, but that painting doesn't make phone calls for you, or provide you access to the internet, or freeze your steaks. 

But the reason for the greatness of the Mona Lisa is not that it is an expression. Da Vinci expressed something by making that painting, yes, it's true. But the Mona Lisa is objectively better than the results of a hobo flinging paint at a wall. Maybe the hobo is expressing something just as strongly as Da Vinci was with the Mona Lisa, but only one is a great work of art. No, the point of the Mona Lisa is that it is the rearranging of elements of reality in accordance with the artist's judgment. Yes, the artist does express things, but this not the primary thing that makes something art. There are plenty of forms of expression that are not art—that means that "art is expression" is a bad definition.

Throwing your pillow is not an expression in that sense; it is utilitarian; you are ACTUALLY creating space on the couch.   I can't think of one, but there are ways of articulating that feeling in a broader sense that WOULD be art.

Yeah, or you could articulate it by coming up with a better definition than "art is expression." A better definition also allows you to throw out nonsense like 4'33" that just expresses "I'm really pretentious, but also I don't want to have to put in the work of actually writing a score."

Yes, actually, but don't confuse "good" with "you like it".   And don't confuse what I said earlier about establishing a standard for a particular purpose.   everyone and their brother thinks they could be a music critic, and I call bullshit on that.  "Whoa, this album kicks major ass! It's AWESOME!" is not music critique.   Classical criticism is a complex and intricate thing, and most (I would say all, but there's probably one somewhere) classic criticisms take the form of "establish context, establish standard, compare work in context to standard".    The judgment is separate from that assessment of "good" or "bad".  There are absolutely ways to get to your wish to judge things.  There is a reason that albums like "Sgt. Pepper" and "Pet Sounds" are considered classics in their field, and it's not because one person said "oh, that is GOOD!".   It's because there is a synergy between the efforts of the artist to hew as close as possible to their vision at a time when that vision was fresh and the adherence wasn't as easy as sitting in your mom's basement with a laptop and running pre-programmed beats.   Whether any one person "likes" Sgt. Pepper's or not is immaterial to it's consideration as a classic piece of art.  I am a Beatles maniac, and it's not my first or second favorite album by them, but I would absolutely consider it their "masterwork" if we were using such a term.  Bob Dylan is another example.  I have 2,000 CDs plus or minus and not one Dylan Cd, and likely never will. He is unlistenable to me.  Hate his music.   Yet, it would be stupid and churlish of me to not recognize that in the context of American music of the last 50 years, he is one of the three "classic" artists.

Almost all of this paragraph is actually quite a good description of what makes some music good and some not. Why throw in that first sentence which contradicts the whole thing?

Conceptually, yes.   IKEA perhaps does that.

A refrigerator is art. This is the kind of absurd conclusion that you've demonstrated you're fine with. The fact that you get to such a bizarre conclusion doesn't seem to suggest to you at all that some of your premises may need checking. Well, I'm not fine with such an absurd conclusion.

This debate matters, and here's why. When you throw out all standards in art and make it entirely about the artist's intent, you've ruined art. You've certainly attacked great art. Because when you say that random paint splatter is no worse than the Mona Lisa, that degrades the Mona Lisa to the same status as the paint splatter. The whole trend of artistic subjectivism is probably why fewer people appreciate the truly great historical works of art today—because they have been equated with miserable works that are not great. If Jackson Pollock's splatter is considered a "great work of art," but nobody can make heads or tails of it at all, most people won't even bother looking at "other great works of art" that are actually great.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline 425

« Reply #2190 on: June 30, 2016, 09:07:21 PM »

James Hetfield is Metallica. Plain and simple. He is the heart and soul of that band.

I agree with a lot of this, especially at this point. I mean, first of all, yes, no doubt, Het is one of the most charismatic frontmen in rock. He commands an audience and draws people in.

There was a time when it wasn't really true that "James Hetfield is Metallica." I think you'd say that in 1985, Metallica was maybe something like 35% James, 30% Cliff, 20% Kirk and 15% Lars. And during the 90s, Kirk played a bit of a bigger role. Maybe 45% James, 30% Kirk, 15% Lars, 10% Jason. But now, Kirk has declined so much that it's hard to say he plays much of a bigger role than Lars, whose ability has also diminshed. Rob is talented, and I definitely consider him to be part of the good half of Metallica—the half that can still go out and play the songs as they should be played and consistently give a good show—but he's still definitely "the new guy." At this point, yeah, James is probably about 60-70% of Metallica (James 65%, Rob 15%, Lars 10%, Kirk 10%?). But it still works because he's that good of a rhythm player and frontman.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2191 on: June 30, 2016, 09:17:30 PM »
What the hell is going on in here?

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 425

« Reply #2192 on: June 30, 2016, 09:40:47 PM »
A lengthy debate about the nature of art, run through with Metallica discussion.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2193 on: June 30, 2016, 09:43:17 PM »
Walls of text. Walls of text as far as the eye can see.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2194 on: June 30, 2016, 09:43:39 PM »
A lengthy debate about the nature of art, run through with Metallica discussion.

Well, that's your subjective of opinion of what's going on. I pay it no mind, sir!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 425

« Reply #2195 on: June 30, 2016, 09:57:21 PM »
:lol
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2196 on: June 30, 2016, 10:13:10 PM »
Walls of text. Walls of text as far as the eye can see.
Walls of text
Imprisoning me
All that I read
Absolute niggling
I cannot quote
I cannot post
Trapped in minutiae
Objectivity the controversy

Disagreement
Has taken this forum
Taken its thread
Taken its members
Taken its posts
Taken its pages
Taken its purpose
Left me with a song to parody

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2197 on: June 30, 2016, 10:24:24 PM »
The thread that should not be .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2198 on: July 01, 2016, 05:48:14 AM »
Can we just turn the page on this?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2199 on: July 01, 2016, 06:04:03 AM »
I kinda like the discussion we're having here. Truthfully, nothing else matters.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2200 on: July 01, 2016, 06:31:09 AM »
I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit.

Offline 425

« Reply #2201 on: July 01, 2016, 08:48:26 AM »
I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit.

But that's not the name of a Metallica song. This post is clearly the thorn within the side of the pun train that was going on.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2202 on: July 01, 2016, 08:51:12 AM »
The mods are going to hunt you down with no mercy if you don't knock it off.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2203 on: July 01, 2016, 09:38:04 AM »
The mods are going to hunt you down with no mercy if you don't knock it off.
Sad, but true.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2204 on: July 01, 2016, 10:34:20 AM »
When I say that there are objective standards and that I am trying to identify what those are, it is not the same thing as me saying that I am the universal decider and what I say goes.

This is not that difficult and yet you continue, time after time, to act like I am trying to make myself the final artistic authority. I am not. There is a difference between "there is a truth, and this is what I think that truth might be" and "what I say is the truth because I am saying it." Please stop accusing me of trying to posture myself as an authority who "gets to determine" things. I have explicitly stated about five times now that I am not doing that. Okay?

Okay, then, I'll phrase the argument differently:  when it comes to "music production", there is no universal truth, or objective standard.  Period.   

Okay, but here's the thing. Maybe you and Lars are wrong. Maybe I'm wrong that clarity is the proper standard. I have said repeatedly that I'm willing to concede that possibility. But just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean that it is false. Just as you have said to me many, many times: You don't get to decide.

Of course we can be wrong.  We're human.  And here's where you have to understand me:   I don't at all think I'm right.  NOT AT ALL.  That's the very premise of my argument.  Because I can't be right all the time - neither can you, or Lars - anything that arbitrarily decides between two things can't be right either.  I'm not deciding at all; remember, I don't think there can be a standard.  We're not arguing a binary thing here; you're not saying "on" and I'm saying "off.   What's really happening is that you are saying "on", and I'm saying "there is no switch". 

Again, this opens a massive door for something that is actually inaudible to be considered good. You've clearly shown that you're okay with that. I'm not. I think it's insulting to people who are actually good at what they do to go up to them and say "Yes, you're good at what you do, but so is the guy who made the decision to make Death Magnetic literally painful to listen to for some people. You are both equally good. We cannot say that either of you is better than the other."

YES.   Something can be considered "good" even if it is inaudible.   Are you familiar with any of The Flaming Lips "audio experiments"?  The boomboxes in the parking lots and such? 

I think your "insulting" comment misses the point.  It's no different than Steve Vai being "insulted" if Kurt Cobain wins a "Guitar God" award.  Notwithstanding that I think a true professional would be smart enough to look at where the skill really was ("wow, sounds like shit, but it took a lot of patience, effort, and dexterity to get there!").  You're dealing with a logical fallacy:  you can't say "wow, I'm insulted! That sounds like SHIT!" UNLESS the assumption is that "not sounding like shit" is the standard.  I'm saying that assumption is not necessarily right for all people.

Now, some of these may be personal preferences, some not. I don't want to get into all of those—we're talking about production, not composition or perferomance, and all but one of those is related to one of those two and not production (though there are objective standards for those two as well, they're just harder to pin down). But terrible brickwalled production is terrible, because when you listen to the record you can't hear what's going it, it clips, it warps and it can be painful. That's actually bad, and if the "artist's intent" is to be bad, fine, but it's still bad.

I don't see any difference between "production" and "composition" or "performance".  I know some do, but I don't. I think they are all but steps between the germ of the idea in the artists head and me sitting with a Guiness and enjoying my latest CD purchase. 

Do you not believe that art may in fact present unpleasant emotions?  Was the beginning of "Saving Private Ryan", probably the hardest 45 minutes of film I've ever had to watch, meant to be "pleasant" or "pleasing"?  Many good artists challenge us.   Sometimes "challenging us" is to make us uncomfortable.   Lars von Trier does not make "pleasing, pleasant" films.  They are jarring, they are sometimes painful (watch the whipping scene in "Nymphomania").  These are emotions, like any other. 

What if James was happy with it in 2008, but he decides to play it again now and realizes it's really bad and not what he wanted it to sound like at all?

He's the artist; his prerogative.  This is not all that uncommon.  Def Leppard with Slang.  Phil Collins with the drum sound on "Invisible Touch".  Some artists update their catalogue as they go; rerecording.  George Lucas is both infamous and reviled for this.

I also notice that you ignored my comment about AJFA. This is something that you have to answer or this whole premise of subjectivism is internal contradictory. Lars likes the production on AJFA. It is what he intended. Jason hates it. It is not what he intended. Is the production on AJFA good, or bad? (For reference, I posit that it is bad, since one standard for quality in production surely must be that all the instruments are audible)

Well, I didn't answer because I felt the answer would be too complicated, and perhaps not one that we on the outside could ascertain.   There are two levels to this:  the simple one is "who had the final call?".   The producer for ...AJFA is "Metallica and Fleming Rasmussen".   Rasmussen wasn't there for the mixing, but Hetfield and Ulrich were.  Later Metallica albums were produced by "Bob Rock, Lars Ulrich, and James Hetfield".   So my answer is "Ulrich".  He's the producer, not Jason.   the other level is that this isn't really a question germane to this conversation.  This is more about democracy and decision-making in bands than "production". 

Also LOL at the very idea of calling the DM production good. But that's what is so often said about bad things that people only claim to be good by saying that there is no real standard of quality.

That's not really accurate, and that's not what I'm saying, necessarily.  I mean, I am saying there is no "standard", but I'm willing to accept that there IS a standard, I just wouldn't put it at something so subjective that if you polled ten people you would get ten different answers. 

Art or not art is a binary condition. It makes no sense for something to be more art or less art than anything else. It can be better or worse art, but there's art and then there's not art. SFAM and Lemonade are both art. They are equally art by definition since there are no degrees of art.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Untitled 1-10 all express my feelings about people saying that artistic quality is subjective. Some of them are white. Some of them are blue. Some of them are off-white—what is often called cream. And each and every one of them is worth $25 million. They are great masterpieces of art paralleled only by the work of a composer who didn't write a score and said that the score he did not write was a work of artistic genius.

I can't comment on this, one, because I get a tone of sarcasm, two, I'm not sure I understand the point, and three, you don't get to decide "what they are worth"; the market does.  "Worth" in terms of monetary value is not related, necessarily, to artistic considerations.

Silence is an element the same way that blank space on the canvas is an element. They aren't really elements, but they can act sort of like them by their position in relation to the elements. They're space between elements. And putting that space between elements can serve a great purpose in a painting or a composition. But if there are no elements and there is just space, then that is not art—it's not made up of any elements at all.

Says you.  I opt for Fripp's (and Jackson Pollock's) interpretation.  They are, after all, "artists". 

It's not art because it's nothing. Nothing is not art. It's nothing.

Then it IS art, because it ISN'T nothing.  You can have an mp3 of '4:33' that is more than zero bytes.   It is also a statement, and a rather clear one.  So it IS art.

But if you think John Cage's nothing is so great, I have a great new album to share with you. It's called "Memorex CD-R." Looks like it has three songs: 52X, 700MB and 80min. I hear it's a must-listen for fans of 4'33". Some people are even saying it's better than Cage's work. You should really check it out.

Your sarcasm is both tiresome and illustrative that you do not understand the point.   I'm not mocking you, or being sarcastic with you.  If you opt for that tack, I'll put Cram out of his misery and end this. 

I don't know any of Cage's other compositions. One or more of them might be good, for all I know (in order for it to be good, it would have to contain actual music). But Cage is also considered a postmodernist. And though there are exceptions, I have typically found people associated with that movement to be [UK swearing incoming] pretentious wankers. I'm not applying that label to Cage's other works, though 4'33" alone deserves the title "pretentious wankery," but I certainly am applying it to the likes of James Joyce, who is the Jackson Pollock of literature.

Who said that for it to be good it has to contain actual music?  Can you post that link?  Art has no "rules", per se.  Whether someone is a "pretentious wanker" or not is not indicative of whether it is "art" or not. 

And being judgmental is not a bad thing. In fact, it is a good thing. It's the only way to have any success in life. But of course, judgment can be harsh and mean and is totally incompatible with a view that places "whatever went through Kirk Hammett's brain in 2008" as more important than whether the result is enjoyable or even coherent.

So calling poor people "lazy" and transgender people "whiners and psychos" is a good thing?  I'm going to beg off pursuing that line of inquiry. 

But the reason for the greatness of the Mona Lisa is not that it is an expression. Da Vinci expressed something by making that painting, yes, it's true. But the Mona Lisa is objectively better than the results of a hobo flinging paint at a wall. Maybe the hobo is expressing something just as strongly as Da Vinci was with the Mona Lisa, but only one is a great work of art. No, the point of the Mona Lisa is that it is the rearranging of elements of reality in accordance with the artist's judgment. Yes, the artist does express things, but this not the primary thing that makes something art. There are plenty of forms of expression that are not art—that means that "art is expression" is a bad definition.

You contradict yourself.   If DaVinci is just "rearranging the elements of reality", so is Cage. So was Bruford (arguably his very presence influenced the final work; how do you know that Wetton didn't choose notes based on the assumption that Bruford WAS going to play?)

I think above all things your position calls for an almost unlimited number of assumptions that you can't make - no one can - and that is why I respond.   I think a refreshment of "Occam's Razor" (I mean the real meaning of it, not the pop culture interpretation) might be in order.  My position has almost no assumptions under it, and if it does have any, it's for the artist to determine, not you and me.

Yeah, or you could articulate it by coming up with a better definition than "art is expression." A better definition also allows you to throw out nonsense like 4'33" that just expresses "I'm really pretentious, but also I don't want to have to put in the work of actually writing a score."

Even if that IS the expression, it's still an expression, isn't it?   How is Cage's "pretentions", which actually make you think, any better than another very pretentious artist (that I know you love), Chris Martin?  I'm not digging on Coldplay - I like them very much and have all their albums, including all the b-sides up to and including those for "X&Y" - but "pretentious wanker" is subjective, and therefore doesn't qualify in any way in determining whether we're talking about art or not.

Almost all of this paragraph is actually quite a good description of what makes some music good and some not. Why throw in that first sentence which contradicts the whole thing?

Not sure at all how it conflicts.  It's the PREMISE for all that comes after.

A refrigerator is art. This is the kind of absurd conclusion that you've demonstrated you're fine with. The fact that you get to such a bizarre conclusion doesn't seem to suggest to you at all that some of your premises may need checking. Well, I'm not fine with such an absurd conclusion.

Well, you're over simplifying to the point of absurdity.  I didn't at all say "a refrigerator is art" as a blanket statement.  It is subject to context.   

This debate matters, and here's why. When you throw out all standards in art and make it entirely about the artist's intent, you've ruined art. You've certainly attacked great art. Because when you say that random paint splatter is no worse than the Mona Lisa, that degrades the Mona Lisa to the same status as the paint splatter. The whole trend of artistic subjectivism is probably why fewer people appreciate the truly great historical works of art today—because they have been equated with miserable works that are not great. If Jackson Pollock's splatter is considered a "great work of art," but nobody can make heads or tails of it at all, most people won't even bother looking at "other great works of art" that are actually great.

I'm glad you wrote that, because I think it illuminates the disconnect.   You are missing a key step.   The Mona Lisa is not "better" because it just is, or because there is some universal standard.    It is only "better" in the context of some stated standard that has to be declared by the person making that assessment.   There are thousands of BOOKS (not just words) written on what makes the "Mona Lisa" great.  We're not going to pinpoint why here, but we can say that it will be based on some stated standard specific to that analysis and not some universal standard that everyone agrees with.   And I am unequivocally right here, because of the latter half of your paragraph; you disparage Jackson Pollock as "paint splatter", and yet he IS considered one of the greats of the art world, was a rock star of sorts during his life.  Recently (the last ten years or so) it's come out that his stuff ISN'T "random paint splatters" and whether you buy in that he meant it, researchers can tell using fractal analysis - with an almost 95% success rate - between a true "Pollock" and someone looking to imitate him.