Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v Act III: Life and Death Live Stream (5/7 and 5/14/24)  (Read 346050 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Let me know if you find a good deal so I can beat you to it. ;)

I found it packaged as a 4 disc complete set. I'm assuming that's 3 CD's and then the DVD?? Did they ever sell the DVD just on it's own do you know?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
You're not talking about this, are you?

I have this but the DVD is just bonus material, studio footage, etc. It's not the actual Color Spectrum live DVD.

Offline twosuitsluke

You're not talking about this, are you?

I have this but the DVD is just bonus material, studio footage, etc. It's not the actual Color Spectrum live DVD.

Yea, that was the one I found on ebay. I messaged the seller to check but haven't heard back. I won't bother with that one then. Cheers :tup

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:53:14 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline Estiui

Someone who likes Haken, as I do, recommended me to listen to some TDH. I like bands like Haken, Dream Theater, Transatlantic, Beardfish, Riverside... do you think I'll like them?  :corn

Of course I know I'll have to try and decide myself, but I want to know some external similar experiences.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
They're really not that similar to those bands other than being Progressive. You won't find any long instrumental sections or anything like that in Dear Hunter, I'd probably compare them more to progressive bands like Anathema or Porcupine Tree in the sense that it's more focused on songwriting and the music is progressive without necessarily having those technical show-off sections. But you should still give them a chance either way, because they're great!  :tup

Offline Estiui

They're really not that similar to those bands other than being Progressive. You won't find any long instrumental sections or anything like that in Dear Hunter, I'd probably compare them more to progressive bands like Anathema or Porcupine Tree in the sense that it's more focused on songwriting and the music is progressive without necessarily having those technical show-off sections. But you should still give them a chance either way, because they're great!  :tup

Thanks, sure I'll do! :)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
I think what TDH excels at is melody. I don't really find them all that "progressive", but I think if you appreciate good songwriting and realize a lot of their work is ambitious, you should like them. They've come to be my favorite band. You have a whole conceptual story that is supposed to eventually span across six albums. Act 4 just came out last year. You have The Color Spectrum which is a big melting pot of different styles and approaches, with each color being a different style of music. You also have Migrant, which doesn't get as much love as I think it should, as it's a more accessible rock, pop, alternative album.

I started out with Act 1, but I think you could start anywhere and enjoy it just fine.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
I think the song A Night On the Town is probably the best to start with if you come from stuff like Dream Theater and Haken and stuff like that. A long track like those bands all like, but still very much with the sound of The Dear Hunter.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Some bands are progressive from song to song and others are progressive within each song, if that makes any sense. The latter category for me are bands like DT or Opeth where you typically have 10 minute songs that go through many changes with twists and turns, whereas the first category might be bands that have shorter songs, where one song might be drastically different from the one that follows. The Dear Hunter is more that kind of prog band. Something like The Color Spectrum has 9 EPs with each of them having its own unique sound and style. That's progressive. The songs themselves aren't necessarily progressive though.

Offline twosuitsluke

https://singmeastory.org/stories/marialena-s-story?song=622

New song, don't really know what this website is but it seems as though it may be a charity where people can write songs using lyrics written by kids? Not 100% but either way the results are pretty cool. You need to donate so I think I will go ahead and do so. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Offline SoundscapeMN

https://www.facebook.com/therealTDH/posts/10154244461029166
https://singmeastory.org/stories/marialena-s-story?song=622

I was reading through the different stories, and chanced upon Marialena's.
At first, it read like a very fantastical account of kleptomania, but as I started writing, and reading the story over and over, a deeper meaning presented itself- and I felt a real connection to the way I used to see the world in my childhood.
I can only hope she enjoys the song as much as I enjoyed her story.
Head over to (https://singmeastory.org/stories/marialena-s-story?song=622) to check out my song and Marialena's story.
- Casey

streaming there.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
It's a countdown.

:)

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
What could this be

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
I guess we'll find out on Wednesday

Offline SoundscapeMN

Wednesday afternoon at 1PM?

I'm still pretty clueless on the package that Max said he was sending out, which hasn't come yet. But given the postmark, I wonder if it could be related (maybe it came in the mail yesterday?, I haven't been home since the mail came, I'm at my fiancee's right now).

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
It's not really a "package", it's just a postcard from Equal Vision.  That's what the picture is from.  The other side has a few grooves and can actually be played on a turntable.

I almost completely disregarded mine and threw it out as I figured it was just some random promo material.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
"Consider. Observe yourself in the mirror. Are you particularly happy? Do you feel your hair graying? Are you the person you feel is found in the real world and by that I mean do you tell the truth? My friends I have found myself unconvinced some days, the Great War long gone, the very fabric of our society is at an impasse. Do we stumble out from the humdrum? Rise to the street as it meets us? Or are we singing hymns with the devil in confession? Believe me when I tell you, we are the makers of our own destinies. I look forward to seeing and speaking with you all on the streets of our beautiful city. Goodnight and God bless."

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
Less than 48 hours to go...

I honestly have no inside info or any idea what this about, other than being told there are "big things afoot", but based on the context my money is on this being somehow Act V related.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark

I honestly have no inside info or any idea what this about, other than being told there are "big things afoot", but based on the context my money is on this being somehow Act V related.

The mention of "The Great War" makes me think it could be Act V, but who knows.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.

Sounds like Act V: Suspense and Surprise. :neverusethis:
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

My thoughts exactly.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder

My thoughts exactly.

Me too.

The quote also has some Acts-y music playing in the background (I think a version of City Escape). The quote is the audio from when you put the postcard on the turntable.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
"Rumor" has it that there's gonna be a fall tour too...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Oh, cmon, that was a good damn pun!

Will be interested to see the tour if I can swing it with Haken and ProgPower.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
Oh, cmon, that was a good damn pun!

I feel a little bit like I'm telling my ex-girlfriend about how awesome my new girlfriend is by saying this, but on the TDH forum there's a feature where you can basically "upvote" of "favorite" individual posts.  If that feature were available here I'd totally use it for your post.

Offline SoundscapeMN

"Rumor" has it that there's gonna be a fall tour too...

Minneapolis September 16th is already confirmed, which I may go, but I also may be trying to go out to the Greek Theater in LA to see Michael Nesmith with The Monkees on their 50th Anniversary show with the Monkee-aholic Fiancee. 9/16 also happens to be 8 days before my wedding, lol.  So I'm not sure what will happen.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Wow I listened to this band for the first time yesterday (to Act IV), and I am amazed by how beautifull their music is, I love all the different instruments they used and how clear the sound is.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Coincidentally I listened to that album today myself and was quite impressed.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Act IV is an outstanding album from start to finish. I still to do this day don't know what my favorite song from it is. I've really been digging At The End of The Earth as of late. That song is just awesome. Vocal melodies are a strong suit for this band.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
My only complaint is that the last 2 or 3 songs drop slightly in quality. Not that they're bad or anything, but a dip in quality never the less.