Author Topic: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Final Results - no more mind games  (Read 81455 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Let the (mind) games begin
« Reply #490 on: September 21, 2015, 11:35:58 PM »
i'm giving your next entry in my roulette a 0, jingle

you're not even playing, but you're going to get a 0 nonetheless

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Gettin on with it now!
« Reply #491 on: September 21, 2015, 11:36:51 PM »
Writeups are done... I'm going to bed though.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #492 on: September 22, 2015, 04:57:11 AM »
i'm giving your next entry in my roulette a 0, jingle

you're not even playing, but you're going to get a 0 nonetheless

And I earned every bit of it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Gettin on with it now!
« Reply #493 on: September 22, 2015, 05:08:13 AM »
Writeups are done... I'm going to bed though.

Hahahahaha!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #494 on: September 22, 2015, 06:18:45 AM »
I love the way you tease us, Chad. Mmmmhmm  :heart
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: September 22, 2015, 06:40:01 AM »
In alphabetic order ...

Big Hath - Myrath / Sour Sigh
Really excellent groove with a lot of good diversity in the vocal delivery.  Accompany that with the guitar riffs (which overall, there was a nice rich guitar tone without sounding too djent-y), and some nice added bridges from the keys and symphony this worked.  Upon looking back at my Roulette v2 results, it was Elite who sent Madness.  I liked it as I recalled, but I never dug deeper into them.  Thanks for forcing me to revisit.

bl5150 - Triaxis / Dying Sun
Brent is moving on to the chicks.  Very good, but every song in this round was at least "very good".  Good voice - but not by any stretch anything I'd put top 10 when it comes to the ladies - rock, metal or symphonic.  The rhythm section, while fairly straightforward, added a few nice effects.  I liked the guitar harmonies and melodies plenty.  Reminded me a bit of Mindmaze, and I love Mindmaze.

Bolsters - Arcane / Promise (Part 2)
Liked the start, but the next section was a weird kind of mellow, and just meh with the haunting/echoing vocal delivery.  Perhaps I had high expectations since two of ya sent this within 45 minutes of each other.  It’s one thing to get the same band from two people, but to send the exact same song!?!?  Guess I figured this was going to wow me.  Sadly, it didn’t.  When the band came back in at the 2.5 minute mark, that's when the song really caught my attention though, but there was something odd about the start/stop feel in transitioning from heavy to soft.

Evermind - Galahad / Empires Never Last
I got a little worried with the intro, and that Mr. Roboto-like vocal effect.  But, the ship got righted pretty quick.  This was another tune that is neither too heavy or too proggy, but just the right amount of each. We'll call this style 'Goldilocks'. :lol Tasty bass intro (and reprise in the extended outro accompanied by a great melodic guitar solo), time changes, pace changes, lots of different guitar sounds.  Great vocal sound.  Lots of diversity in the guitar riffs and atmosphere provided by the keyboards.  The main chorus melody became quite an earworm - Always remember ….

jjrock88 - Racer-X / Sunlit Nights
Solid rock, but then again, what else should any of us expect from Naitch?  Production is very dated, and I tried very hard to listen past that.  I wouldn’t have pegged this as a ballad initially, so it’s a good thing you called it out as such.  Doesn’t have the typical feel of an 80s ballad, because it rocks so hard while following the typical formula.  And Paul Gilbert… I mean, c’mon.  God tier riffing and solo.  Every.  Single.  Time.  It was a bit of a tease at 3.5 minutes.

Lowdz - Thunder / Loved Walked In
Excellent Power Ballad.  Nice acoustic intro, and vocally this had all the right pieces. I don't want to disclose too much about what I liked/didn't, so as to give future ballads any advantage.  Can't say I was floored with this, but (like Brent's), this was very good in a sea of very good songs - ergo it really didn't stand out from the crowd... though it improved with the final couple of listens, and moved up a spot.

Mystery Machine - Empyrios / Domino
You got some set of balls to go quasi-growlie AND crunchy guitar (considering I just put a bullet in RJ for pretty much that)  This was a good track, right on the line of getting too close to some kind of death-metal sound - I suspect this band is very much like Borealis, and I'd probably love most of their stuff, but this fell into the realm of 'like' at the outset.  Great solo, great clean vocals, and it improved with each listen, and when I was able to dedicate my attention to it.  Most of it was great, but overall, there were just a couple of pieces to this that prevented it from being great on the whole.

TAC - Fastaway / Far Far From Home
"Should appeal to my Zeppelin side".  Dya think???  Holy hell is this guy channeling Bobby Plant!  I love the blues-rock vibe.  If you thought this was a ballad, I’d have to say you better reload.  Otherwise, there ain’t much to say about this other than imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  Even lyrically it was a tribute to Zeppelin and 70s blues rock as a whole.  And it worked.

senecadawg2 - Sylvan / Not Far From The Sky
Pure ballad that was simply beautiful.  Lovely piano melody, but vocally it didn't do much for me.  Not sure why, there was nothing wrong with him, but it didn’t impress me much... until the symphony kicked in.  It's kinda the same problem Tim had last time around with his solo Kiske submission - I recognize the beauty and talent on the mic for sure, but I just wasn't wow'd.  The mix with the symphony really had me struggling to even hear the vocals.  Very good song none-the-less.

wolfking - W.A.S.P. / Arena of Pleasure
So, there are these old bands that were just off my radar, and when people try to introduce me to them, some click, some don't, and some fall in between and are just ok.  Then I listened to this track.  Mother of God, what did I just listen to?  Wow, just wow.  But not in a good way... in a GREAT way.  Vocally was just on the perfect edge of harsh, but not growlie; killer solo - wait... solos; nasty little drum riffs throughout ... this quickly invoked all the feelings of awe the first time I ever heard Run To The Hills as a 16 year old.  Knocked my socks off.  Kade dropped the mic on ya'll.

Zook - HolyHell / The Fall
Nice little piano intro.  I was totally expecting the hammer to fall at that first pause. Dude, do you have any male vocalists in your library?  Who cares, if you can keep submitting tracks like this.  Nice cascading buildup, and this was a fantastic vocal performance.  There’s not a lot to say on this one either, it was just a terrific ballad.

Rankings:
:soon:

You might be able to guess who's on top based on the above, but beyond that, I'm still fiddling with a couple of rankings.  And given how much every point counts, I want to make sure I get it right. 

Plus,

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Let the (mind) games begin - how'd ya do?
« Reply #496 on: September 22, 2015, 06:46:40 AM »
Yeah, figured I would be at the lower end of the rankings and that writeup pretty much confirms it. Was it seneca who also sent Arcane?

Anyway, can we start sending for the next round or should I wait until you post the ranking?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: September 22, 2015, 06:52:45 AM »

bl5150 - Triaxis / Dying Sun
Brent is moving on to the chicks.  Very good, but every song in this round was at least "very good".  Good voice - but not by any stretch anything I'd put top 10 when it comes to the ladies - rock, metal or symphonic.  The rhythm section, while fairly straightforward, added a few nice effects.  I liked the guitar harmonies and melodies plenty.  Reminded me a bit of Mindmaze, and I love Mindmaze.

Fair enough - blew my load in the qualifiers did I ? :lol   I happen to agree with almost everything you said - the guitar harmonies/melodies are where it's at and I sent this in large part because you like Mindmaze and that style of vocal more than I do.  I actually had Mindmaze in mind for you ,so at least I judged that right.  I wasn't quite 100% there on the vocal tone myself.   Alrighty then - no more fucking around  :biggrin:

As far as WASP go........I can't believe that after having us metalheads crapping on about them for so long, my Top 15 spot in the DTF Top 50 that you've just now heard something you like.  I assumed that if you hadn't heard anything you liked from WASP by now then it wasn't worth trying.  Good stuff Kade - easily my fave song on Crimson Idol.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: September 22, 2015, 06:53:16 AM »
Hell fucking yeah. 

There's an album to add to your list Chad.  Almost sent Chainsaw Charlie but changed my mind at the last minute.  Thought it would go down okay, very happy.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #499 on: September 22, 2015, 06:54:43 AM »
I think you need to brush up on your ABCs, Chad.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: September 22, 2015, 06:56:58 AM »

That's right :TAC: should be just above wolfking
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: September 22, 2015, 07:01:40 AM »
Protip... for the bands discussed in the hard rock/classic metal thread that I don't know, I have extended the courtesy of NOT checking any of them out for the past 6 months or so.  And as for W.A.S.P., I always assumed they were closer to thrash, and they were never radio-worthy around these here parts.  I don't think I ever heard anything by them back in the day, or ever.

Yeah, figured I would be at the lower end of the rankings and that writeup pretty much confirms it. Was it seneca who also sent Arcane?

Anyway, can we start sending for the next round or should I wait until you post the ranking?

No, it was Big Hath.  And yes, people can start sending.

:rollin ... told you I had the writeups done at 1am this morning.  Brain was clearly a little mushy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: September 22, 2015, 07:06:54 AM »
WASP seem like one of those bands that slip under the radar yet are still somewhat of a household name.  They were actually one of my first metal discoveries.  When I was just learning the guitar at around 13 years old, I just got into Sabbath, Priest and Maiden and then my guitar teacher gave me The Crimson Idol on tape.  Fucking blew me away.  Still sounds as good today.  I didn't appreciate their older stuff for some time as it just didn't live up to TCI, but over time, I explored everything and now they are one of my all time favs.

I'm glad I could give you a track that tickled your fancy from WASP Chad.  You got some work to do now.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #503 on: September 22, 2015, 08:17:27 AM »

I was definitely planning on sending Arcane in future rounds, if unused.

Myrath too...

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: September 22, 2015, 08:28:55 AM »
Sented next round.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #505 on: September 22, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
 :eekgood call on the WASP track. I thought you were a fan, same for Myrath. Great bands.

I sent you one of the greatest British hard rock ballads and the best you can say is "it's alright I suppose".   :loser:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: September 22, 2015, 11:01:14 AM »
Guess you Brits don't know how to write a power ballad.  :neverusethis:

I mean c'mon, it's no Hey Jude.  It's better than Everything I Do ... that's for sure.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #507 on: September 22, 2015, 12:54:31 PM »
Guess you Brits don't know how to write a power ballad.  :neverusethis:

I mean c'mon, it's no Hey Jude.  It's better than Everything I Do ... that's for sure.

It's cos we're not a bunch of sissies who get all tears when a girl doesn't return our affection. We plot evil revenge, or at least post the dodgy photos online  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: September 22, 2015, 01:43:19 PM »
Alright, here it is.  No more tinkering.

wolfking - 11
Evermind - 10
TAC - 9
Zook - 8
Big Hath - 7
Bolsters - 6
jjrock88 - 5
bl5150 - 4
Lowdz - 3
senecadawg2 - 2
Mystery Machine - 1

Zook and Big Hath were a virtual coin-flip.  Took a lot to decide those two spots.  Same between Bolsters/jj/Brent.

Now, for those at/near the bottom I offer Big Hath's first roulette as evidence that nothing is insurmountable (yet).  He also did the stack-rank method, and I finished with a "1" in the first round - came back and was within a point or so of winning the damn thing.

I'm also keeping a 'rating score' and will share all of that at the end, to see if final ranking vs rating would be any different.

I also have one 'tag-team' submission so far.  To clarify how that works ... give me two songs, I'll listen to both equally as part of the round, and rank them both.  You'll get the highest ranking one.

Round 2 listening will commence no later than Friday morning - preferably sooner.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Round 1 rankings (for realz)
« Reply #509 on: September 22, 2015, 02:18:33 PM »
OK I'll take that for sure!

Whodathunk WASP would win the round? WOW!

Sent for Round 4.

Both Brent and Chad have been given the same song for the current round in their respective roulettes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: September 22, 2015, 02:29:05 PM »
Even though I didn't send it, I'm happy that WASP won the round.  Good call Wolf!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #511 on: September 22, 2015, 02:31:19 PM »
I'm disappointed with the score, but it's whatever. So long as I can introduce you to at least a couple good bands over the next few rounds, I'll be satisfied.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #512 on: September 22, 2015, 02:35:53 PM »
Even though I didn't send it, I'm happy that WASP won the round.  Good call Wolf!

Gee, and I was going to send Animal (Fuck Like A Beast) for my ballad.

Dammit Kade!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: September 22, 2015, 02:40:01 PM »
I can see Chad really digging WASP; some awesome material.  I think Brent did a write up on them in his Hard Rock thread.

Song sent.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: September 22, 2015, 03:13:16 PM »
I'll take the second place for now. Will try to send tomorrow (both in this one and in Brent's).
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: September 22, 2015, 03:17:59 PM »
I can see Chad really digging WASP; some awesome material.  I think Brent did a write up on them in his Hard Rock thread.

Song sent.

Yeah, I remembered from that thread that Chad virtually knew nothing about them.  Perfect opportunity to send them.

Both Brent and Chad have been given the same song for the current round in their respective roulettes.

Thinking of doing the same too.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #516 on: September 22, 2015, 04:33:43 PM »
Sent.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: September 22, 2015, 04:51:25 PM »

Gee, and I was going to send Animal (Fuck Like A Beast) for my ballad.

Dammit Kade!

Should have sent The Idol actually for the ballad, bugger, oh well.  Chad, any chance you could list at the end of the round all banned bands that have used in the roulette or something, just for reference?

I'll send something tonight.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #518 on: September 22, 2015, 05:31:35 PM »
Should I avoid the Spotify saved bands too?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: September 22, 2015, 05:56:43 PM »
Chad, any chance you could list at the end of the round all banned bands that have used in the roulette or something, just for reference?

Certainly... I'll add it to the OP.  Bands that got the participants eliminated are still open for use.  Though, not sure why anyone would want to use 'em - but in case you think there is a song from that band that'll work, they're still fair game.

Should I avoid the Spotify saved bands too?

You certainly should.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: September 22, 2015, 08:01:39 PM »
I'm disappointed with the score, but it's whatever. So long as I can introduce you to at least a couple good bands over the next few rounds, I'll be satisfied.

Two out of three ain't bad.

You guys are going deep now... out of the 6 submissions so far, only 1 is on Spotify.  Looks like it's gonna be an iTunes round.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #521 on: September 23, 2015, 01:11:32 AM »
I'm also keeping a 'rating score' and will share all of that at the end, to see if final ranking vs rating would be any different.
I'll be interested to see this. I should have done it for my roulette aswell.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: September 24, 2015, 04:54:25 AM »
Just waiting on Evermind (who's still vacationing), and Zook.  Will start listening tonight, so get your songs in.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: September 24, 2015, 05:18:53 AM »
I'll be interested to see this. I should have done it for my roulette aswell.

Yeah, this is a teriffic idea.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: September 24, 2015, 05:34:47 AM »
Those ratings are pretty granular as well - more like school percentage grades.

Ruslan is in... just Zook to go.